Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Evangelicals Behaving Badly...

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Evangelicals Behaving Badly...

Post by neonzx »

Evangelicals definitely do a lot of touching, in my experience. It's actually expected so if you don't you may get shunned.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Is that you, Northland?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Kate520 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:07 pm Is that you, Northland?
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

To me it's simple... if you love your neighbor, you don't give him Covid.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:57 pm To me it's simple... if you love your neighbor, you don't give him Covid.
:winner:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:17 pm It's been a long time since Sunday School, but one of the things I remember clearly is how it's better to pray in private than to pray in public.
King James version: And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Where I live, there's a lot of public praying, including the beginning of government gatherings, meetings, and public relations events. Not brief prayers either and often includes a church song or two. I am not comfortable with that, so I wait until it's over before joining. My absence is noticed, but I'm not alone in waiting for the religious stuff to end before joining the gathering. When I asked about it, I quote Matthew, and then they leave me alone. That works better and quicker than explaining the separation of church and state.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:57 pm To me it's simple... if you love your neighbor, you don't give him Covid.
Exactly. The Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church said exactly that last year. Gallups is more interested in fighting against some grand evil government plot to destroy Christianity than he is in loving your neighbor, feeding my sheep, and all those other liberal things that his Jeebus would never have talked about because communism.

Oh, and their whining about government tyranny? We are supposed to take that on as well, with joy. Love the world that reviles you.

It's a good thing most folks like Gallups only use that tyranny claim to get others worked up and grift from them. I sure lying about the Bible is all okidokie as long as it brings in cash souls.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:36 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:17 pm It's been a long time since Sunday School, but one of the things I remember clearly is how it's better to pray in private than to pray in public.
King James version: And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Where I live, there's a lot of public praying, including the beginning of government gatherings, meetings, and public relations events. Not brief prayers either and often includes a church song or two. I am not comfortable with that, so I wait until it's over before joining. My absence is noticed, but I'm not alone in waiting for the religious stuff to end before joining the gathering. When I asked about it, I quote Matthew, and then they leave me alone. That works better and quicker than explaining the separation of church and state.
:like:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

northland10 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:52 pmGallups is more interested in fighting against some grand evil government plot to destroy Christianity than he is in loving your neighbor, feeding my sheep, and all those other liberal things that his Jeebus would never have talked about because communism.
To Gallups' "credit," he claims to believe (and perhaps even does sincerely believe) that vaccines kill people, masks harm people, social distancing has negative physical and mental effects, etc., so he is (in his way) tending to his neighbor.

But, even so, he could believe all that without being a sanctimonious, preening asshole.
Image ImageImage
northland10

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 pm
northland10 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:52 pmGallups is more interested in fighting against some grand evil government plot to destroy Christianity than he is in loving your neighbor, feeding my sheep, and all those other liberal things that his Jeebus would never have talked about because communism.
To Gallups' "credit," he claims to believe (and perhaps even does sincerely believe) that vaccines kill people, masks harm people, social distancing has negative physical and mental effects, etc., so he is (in his way) tending to his neighbor.

But, even so, he could believe all that without being a sanctimonious, preening asshole.
I'd be curious at how many funerals he or his assistants may have had to do this year and if it was more than previous years due to COVID My parish, especially given the demographic of most mainline churches, has had very few deaths in the parish family this year as compared to other years. At my count, we have maybe 3 services that may still need to be done although one was a holdover from pre-COVID as the funeral was scheduled for April last year. The family in that case, and in the other cases, have all said they wish to wait until we can meet together in larger numbers (burial on-site is ashes only). None were from COVID.

I could ask Gallups, but I would not believe his answer. Even in regular years, the number of funerals can vary wildly (7 in one summer, to 2 all year). There will be nothing for me to declare on a Schedule C for last year's taxes (I just did a wedding this last weekend, so next year, it looks like I have to declare). FYI, weddings and funerals are paid separately. The family/funeral home or couple pay me directly. They are not part of my normal salary.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Suranis wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:03 am Prosperity Theology is an insidious disease that is spreading. Its very big in Africa, and I've read that some Catholic Priests are starting to buy into it too.
It is an insidious disease. It preys on the poor. "Send $ and it will come back to you threefold. Trust God!"

I used to be really religious. I dual minored in college; anthropology and music ministry. I've worked in ministry. I'm an atheist now. My dark night of the soul lasted too long. And I became a scientist.

I was the most theologically liberal student at my religious university. I was respected, but it wasn't unusual to hear "I'll pray for you". My profs loved me because most of them were more theologically liberal than the student body. I pissed off a fellow student so badly in a New Testaments class that he punched his friend to try to argue against my point.

I worked at a Christian bookstore for a summer. The owners believed in prosperity theology. It was so damn disturbing. The owners had a daughter who had a serious chronic health issue. According to prosperity theology, their daughter was I'll because they just didn't fully trust God to be good enough for his full blessings. They just needed to "name it and claim it".

A close friend of mine has a mom who is seriously mentally ill. At times her mom was low on food because she would send her money to tv evangelists. Her mom had a ministry degree, and was never an evangelical. But prosperity ministers did a job on her when she became mostly homebound and her mental illness became worse. It was horrifying watching this poor woman living in poverty as she sent her money to wealthy televangelists who mocked her poverty.

There is nothing scripturally to support prosperity theology. It's predatory.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

LM K wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 pm
Suranis wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:03 am Prosperity Theology is an insidious disease that is spreading. Its very big in Africa, and I've read that some Catholic Priests are starting to buy into it too.
It is an insidious disease. It preys on the poor. "Send $ and it will come back to you threefold. Trust God!"

I used to be really religious. I dual minored in college; anthropology and music ministry. I've worked in ministry. I'm an atheist now. My dark night of the soul lasted too long. And I became a scientist.

I was the most theologically liberal student at my religious university. I was respected, but it wasn't unusual to hear "I'll pray for you". My profs loved me because most of them were more theologically liberal than the student body. I pissed off a fellow student so badly in a New Testaments class that he punched his friend to try to argue against my point.

I worked at a Christian bookstore for a summer. The owners believed in prosperity theology. It was so damn disturbing. The owners had a daughter who had a serious chronic health issue. According to prosperity theology, their daughter was I'll because they just didn't fully trust God to be good enough for his full blessings. They just needed to "name it and claim it".

A close friend of mine has a mom who is seriously mentally ill. At times her mom was low on food because she would send her money to tv evangelists. Her mom had a ministry degree, and was never an evangelical. But prosperity ministers did a job on her when she became mostly homebound and her mental illness became worse. It was horrifying watching this poor woman living in poverty as she sent her money to wealthy televangelists who mocked her poverty.

It's theft and fraud, pure and simple.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

LM K wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 pm

I’m pretty sure, just the opposite.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

One of the worst things for the early church was to find itself washed in the blood of power, prestige, and privilege. As the persecution ended and the church became entwined in the power of the empire, though some, such as John Chrysostom did their best to annoy those in power by denouncing their rather unChristian behavior (if he had a fit bit, his step count would have been enormous from being banished). That world of power, prestige, and privilege has not left the church. The "Prosperity Gospel" is just a way to make people feel they can be part of that world of power, prestige, and privilege.

And yes, it is an insidious disease.
bob

Post by bob »

Some Jerk would ask Gallups if Obama was a legitimate president, but....
Image ImageImage
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bob wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:04 pm https://twitter.com/CarlGallups/status/ ... 7639669763
Some Jerk would ask Gallups if Obama was a legitimate president, but....
:shrug: Consolation: only 1 like and 0 replies on his twit.
:whistle:
bob

Post by bob »

Some Jerk would ask Gallups which "State Dept. Doc" earned him his bane, but...
Image ImageImage
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

sterngard friegen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:14 pm
neonzx wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:20 pm
sterngard friegen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:19 pm I hate to admit it but Joel Osteen is a guilty pleasure. I listen to him for a couple of minutes a couple times a month.

I am amazed at his religious ideology. It has nothing to do with the teachings in the Old or New Testaments. It's all about being optimistic and confident. Period.

And this fake is rich!
You sound jealous. Why didn't go into preaching instead of law? Much less formal training and work. :mrgreen:
More difficult to grift the people in my affinity group.
Horsepeople?
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

bob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:52 pm

Some Jerk would ask Gallups which "State Dept. Doc" earned him his bane, but...
I love the exemption for companies that own theme parks in Florida. All Youtube, google, etc. need to do, if I understand correctly, is purchase some pissant theme park and they can ban all they want.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

woodworker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:22 pm I love the exemption for companies that own theme parks in Florida. All Youtube, google, etc. need to do, if I understand correctly, is purchase some pissant theme park and they can ban all they want.
I suspect that this legislation was really a play by the owners of haunted theme parks, who want to sell their properties now that they are no longer receiving residuals from the Scooby-Doo franchise. Let's rev up the Mystery Mobile and head to Tallahassee to investigate!
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

woodworker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:17 pm
sterngard friegen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:14 pm
neonzx wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:20 pm
You sound jealous. Why didn't go into preaching instead of law? Much less formal training and work. :mrgreen:
More difficult to grift the people in my affinity group.
Horsepeople?
Pastrami sandwich connoisseurs.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

woodworker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:22 pm I love the exemption for companies that own theme parks in Florida. All Youtube, google, etc. need to do, if I understand correctly, is purchase some pissant theme park and they can ban all they want.
Why play the Florida GOP game or bow-down. Just pull out -- remove service to all Floridans (using GeoIP to block access) -- and then see the right-wing constitutes rebel against their Tallahassee overlords. Because the right wing nut cases in this state can't live without their FB. 8-) :lol:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

How do they collect?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I wonder if the new Florida law can be interpreted so as to require the Miami Herald to print all of my letters to the editor.

I think the new Florida law is unconstitutional and suggest that FB, et al., continued banning Trump and other troublemakers until the State of Florida sues to collect the fine and then defend by challenging the validity of the law. Or FB could simply block all service in-and-out of Florida until the law is repealed.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:29 pm How do they collect?
There will not b a collection.

They want companies to be autonomous, right? So if a corp doesn't want to bake a wedding cake for a gay ceremony, that's permissible. But a corp can't choose what they permit published under Republican rules. Seems a bit hypocritical. A bunch of snowflakes, it would seem. :yawn:

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”