Water Troubles

Lani

Re: Water Troubles

Post by Lani »

Lani wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:40 am The Navy finally agreed to remove the Red Hill tanks. Good thing - people are in a rage about what is happening. Lawsuits are piling up.
The Navy says it will comply with the state emergency order to drain its Red Hill underground fuel storage tanks, adding it is already making a plan to do so.
:snippity:
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Navy has detected high levels of petroleum in samples taken from drinking water at Pearl City Peninsula homes, officials said on Wednesday.

Officials said the sample found a petroleum compound at 650 parts per billion — exceeding the 200 parts per billion limit set by the state Department of Health for this emergency response.

All residents in the community have been notified.

Navy civil engineers previously said water at Pearl City Peninsula came from the Waiawa shaft, which they said had no detectable levels of fuel or petroleum and was unaffected by the leaks at Red Hill.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/01/2 ... ula-homes/

Just keeps getting worse....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Lani wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:40 am The Navy finally agreed to remove the Red Hill tanks. Good thing - people are in a rage about what is happening. Lawsuits are piling up.
The Navy says it will comply with the state emergency order to drain its Red Hill underground fuel storage tanks, adding it is already making a plan to do so.
Nope. Navy changed its mind.
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - In a move that’s drawing anger, the Navy filed an appeal in federal court Wednesday saying the state’s emergency order to drain its Red Hill facility is unlawful.

In the court filing, the Navy said the state’s finding that the underground fuel storage facility poses an imminent threat to Oahu’s drinking water is “clearly erroneous, arbitrary, capricious, and an abuse of discretion.” That’s despite a history of leaks and a contamination crisis in the Navy’s water system.

Wednesday was the deadline for the Navy to deliver a plan to the state Department of Health about how it would drain its bulk storage fuel facility while its safety could be studied.

In a statement Wednesday afternoon, the state Health Department shot back, saying the appeal “proves undeniably the Navy is unwilling to do what’s right to protect the people of Hawaii and its own service members.”
In a statement Wednesday afternoon, the state Health Department shot back, saying the appeal “proves undeniably the Navy is unwilling to do what’s right to protect the people of Hawaii and its own service members.”

The statement continued, “Despite the Navy claiming time and again that it would comply with the DOH emergency order, its actions consistently prove otherwise. We look forward to taking our fight to court to protect Hawaii residents and our environment.”
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/02/0 ... apricious/
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

The Red Hill situation is still not resolved. Meanwhile:

This also happened twice last year.

Beautiful beaches, popular for local families & tourists. I originally planned to retired in Kailua.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Finally! Families have been living in hotel rooms for months.
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The U.S. Senate passed legislation on Thursday that provides federal funding to defuel the Navy’s Red Hill fuel storage facility.

The bill now heads to the president and is set to become law.

The measure was authored by Sen. Brian Schatz and also directs the Department of Defense to comply with the state’s emergency public health order.

The legislation includes $400 million for the Red Hill water contamination crisis with $100 million of that to be specifically allotted to removing the fuel tanks.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/02/1 ... -into-law/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

If you can get a copy of "Dreamt Land" by Mark Arax, read it.

It is a comprehensive history and contemporary accounting of our water here in California.

Not a pleasant read.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I would be fine with sending our extra rain to the west.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:05 pm I would be fine with sending our extra rain to the west.
FA2D2EFA-28F6-40B9-9858-1EFFC98CBE35.jpeg
FA2D2EFA-28F6-40B9-9858-1EFFC98CBE35.jpeg (129.46 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Wait, what? I'm in a yellow section? Yes, we have not had the constant rain with flooding yet but I would not call it some sort of really small drought condition. Everything is relative I suppose.

I do seem to live in an area that has been a bit of a bubble lately. Fronts have been sliding through lately that cause the areas north of his to get hit by heavy snow and sever storms (Wisconsin) due to the cold mass, while areas south get heavy snow and severe snow from the warm air from the gulf. We seem to be in the middle.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:29 am Wait, what? I'm in a yellow section? Yes, we have not had the constant rain with flooding yet but I would not call it some sort of really small drought condition. Everything is relative I suppose.
Yellow is abnormally dry. Not quite drought yet.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:40 am
northland10 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:29 am Wait, what? I'm in a yellow section? Yes, we have not had the constant rain with flooding yet but I would not call it some sort of really small drought condition. Everything is relative I suppose.
Yellow is abnormally dry. Not quite drought yet.
Though it still does not feel abnormally dry to me. I guess this is more about the mild winter. Most heavier storms went south of us.

It has been abnormally windy this spring.
tek

Post by tek »

Lake Powell officials face an impossible choice in the West's megadrought: Water or electricity
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/30/us/west- ... index.html
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Speaking of Lake Mead, the drought may help solve some crimes.
I-Team: Body found in barrel in Lake Mead may date back to 1980s, more likely to appear as water recedes, Las Vegas police say
https://www.8newsnow.com/i-team/i-team- ... olice-say/
Jim

Post by Jim »

Maybe they'll finally find Jimmy Hoffa.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Jim wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:16 pm Maybe they'll finally find Jimmy Hoffa.
My wife said the exact same thing a coupla hours ago.....
Jim

Post by Jim »

humblescribe wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:50 pm
Great minds...lol
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

humblescribe wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:50 pm
Me too.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... king-point
From the Atacama Desert to Patagonia, a 13-year megadrought is straining Chile’s freshwater resources to breaking point.

By the end of 2021, the fourth driest year on record, more than half of Chile’s 19 million population lived in an area suffering from “severe water scarcity”, and in April an unprecedented water rationing plan was announced for the capital, Santiago.

In hundreds of rural communities in the centre and north of the country, Chileans are forced to rely on emergency tankers to deliver drinking water.

“Water has become a national security issue – it’s that serious,” said Pablo García-Chevesich, a Chilean hydrologist working at the University of Arizona. “It’s the biggest problem facing the country economically, socially and environmentally. If we don’t solve this, then water will be the cause of the next uprising.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Water Troubles LO o

Post by Phoenix520 »

humblescribe wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:00 pm If you can get a copy of "Dreamt Land" by Mark Arax, read it.

It is a comprehensive history and contemporary accounting of our water here in California.

Not a pleasant read.
Also Cadillac Desert by Mark Reisner.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Not a simple situation. While the new channel is creating new land it is diverting so much water from the main river flow that shoals are forming.
This may prevent ships in the Gulf from being able to get to New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

Return to “Climate Change”