Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Water Troubles

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Water Troubles

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:07 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:55 pm

And I was getting all excited about this until you went all mathematical on me. Drats. Onward and upward though.
Their method takes care of the high energy use of traditional desal plants, but you still have the issue of dumping concentrated brine into the ocean, which kills adult fish and fish eggs. The more water that is produced by desalinization, the more salty brine is produced and the brine needs to be diffused over an even larger area.
I think the salt concentration increase will be de minimis when compared to the entire water cycle. Daily oceanic evaporation rate is already easily offset by rain and freshwater discharge. Water is never lost. It just moves around.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:05 am
Azastan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:07 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:55 pm

And I was getting all excited about this until you went all mathematical on me. Drats. Onward and upward though.
Their method takes care of the high energy use of traditional desal plants, but you still have the issue of dumping concentrated brine into the ocean, which kills adult fish and fish eggs. The more water that is produced by desalinization, the more salty brine is produced and the brine needs to be diffused over an even larger area.
I think the salt concentration increase will be de minimis when compared to the entire water cycle. Daily oceanic evaporation rate is already easily offset by rain and freshwater discharge. Water is never lost. It just moves around.
I am not an expert, but I do know that there are several issues with returning brine to the ocean. :shrug:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:09 pm
I am not an expert, but I do know that there are several issues with returning brine to the ocean. :shrug:
Me neither, and the problems are obvious. But! These desal units are similar in size/capacityto what is being implemented on commercial and military vessels. As long as the water is moving, the brine is diluted quickly.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That photo is just creepy. Years from now, it will be a disgrace.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:27 pm That photo is just creepy. Years from now, it will be a disgrace.
There's a good reason there are so many ghost towns in Nevada and California, and it's not just because the mines were played out.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Bill said
Water is never lost. It just moves around.
When you sit and think about that it really boggles the mind. I was introduced to the concept when I started rafting 35 years ago. I used to trail my fingers in the water and wonder where it had been and who else had touched this or that drop. It’s transcendental.

Don’t get me started on ruminations while floating through the Grand Canyon. :lol:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Good friends of mine just moved out of the flood zone last year, returning to Michigan after more than a decade out of state. They have a lot of friends that lost everything.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

For those of you from out of town:

https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks ... 345639.php

Don't ever. Repeat, don't ever turn your back on the desert.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Officials reveal new details about the 3 sets of human remains found at Lake Mead
:snippity:
The remains, dubbed Hemenway Harbor Doe by the coroner's office, are one of at least three sets uncovered due to the dramatically receding water levels at Lake Mead, which has plunged to unprecedented lows amid a critical water crisis in the West.
The Calville Bay remains are more skeletal than the other two sets, Rouse said, which both still have organ tissue available for examination, despite being immersed in the lake. The cooler underwater temperatures would cause a body to decompose more slowly than if it were baking under the desert sun, she explained.

The final remains were found at the lake's Swim Beach on July 25 and the examination is still at an early stage, Rouse said. Unlike the other two, these are only partial remains and Rouse is still processing them to determine what can even be examined based on their condition, she said.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/03/us/lake- ... index.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Where are the Rhine Maidens when you need them? ;)
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Welcome to Sinkhole Village. Turkey's mysterious craters are swallowing up fertile farming land in the nation's breadbasket

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-12/ ... /101310474

Linked to climate change and water extraction from wells.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-12/ ... /101329598

Europe drought affects major rivers like the Danube, the Rhine and the Po

An unprecedented drought has afflicted nearly half of the European continent, damaging farm economies, forcing water restrictions, causing wildfires and threatening aquatic species.

Key points:

The European Commission's Joint Research Centre has warned drought conditions will worsen
A meteorologist says the drought is due to long periods of dry weather caused by changes in world weather systems
Some countries have restricted water use and shipping goods has become diffcult on major waterways like the Rhine and the Danube
There has been no significant rainfall for almost two months in Western, Central and Southern Europe.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:25 pm
Some folks out there want Great Lakes water so they can irrigate their green lawns and fill their pools. That has always annoyed me. The irony is that folks in my village may not use automatic sprinkler systems and are supposed to only water at certain times because we receive our water from Lake Michigan. The amount of rain makes watering plants far less necessary anyway.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

How do they know that there is anything to distribute in 2023? :twisted:

Return to “Climate Change”