Water Troubles

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Water Troubles

Post by raison de arizona »

Eric Holthaus @EricHolthaus wrote: Brand new Colorado River water restrictions imposed today by @usbr:

Arizona: -21%
Nevada: -8%
Mexico: -7%
California: -0%
Tommy Beaudreau @DepSecBeaudreau wrote: Today, @Interior announced urgent actions to improve and protect the long-term sustainability of the Colorado River System in the face of climate change-driven drought, extreme heat and low precipitation. https://doi.gov/pressreleases/interior- ... -sets-2023
These numbers are not nearly what was feared — and will do little to halt the shortage in the Colorado River.

More context from @LukeRunyon:
Luke Runyon @LukeRunyon wrote: .@usbr wanted today's Tier 2 shortage declaration to look like they were coming down hard on the states. But they did not. This shortage was spelled out in agreements signed in 2007 and 2019. It was expected. For months.

No federal hammer was dropped.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Kris Mayes @krismayes wrote: I held a press conference earlier today about the egregious Ducey water giveaway to the Saudis & have released a plan that lays out what I will do to protect our most precious natural resource as your next AG. #LawyerForThePeople

As AG, I will investigate this Saudi water scandal & any others that potentially violate the AZ Gift Clause. If there is any fraud and/or corruption tied to these seemingly unconstitutional giveaways to private companies, I will prosecute. Arizonans deserve so much better.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Friends in the UK said they finally got some rain today. Probably not nearly enough but they'll take what they can get.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, they built a dam upstream of Shanghai, maybe a mistake.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
raison de arizona

I-10 is the road between LA and PHX.
Flash flood washes out eastbound I-10 heading into Arizona
► Show Spoiler
Eastbound traffic on Interstate 10 in the Southern California desert heading to Arizona was blocked Thursday after flash floods washed out the roadway.

The latest round of flooding caused by monsoonal thunderstorms hit Wednesday evening and also impacted other desert highways.

The Interstate 10 washout occurred near the community of Desert Center in Riverside County, about 165 miles east of Los Angeles.
:snippity:
https://ktar.com/story/5212162/flash-fl ... o-arizona/
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Not global, but we are going into our 34th day of a current boil water notice. Before that, we had a 13 day BWN, then 3 days without, and then this one. They can't do the mandatory 3-days-in-a-row testing because of the rainfall, and now the flooding has knocked out the water treatment plant again so half the city has low or no water pressure, including us. he State has finally stepped in and declared a water emergency and the NG will be handing out bottled water. The city, in all their ineptitude, has been doing a weekly water giveaway, limit of one case per vehicle, until their 700 cases per week were exhausted. 42,000 residents under the notice and the City is passing out 700 cases per week. It was only available at one inconvenient location, too. I wouldn't mind buying the water, but there is none at the stores. Our idiot mayor and idiot governor are in a big dick measuring match with each other and we're the ones suffering for it.

They're now telling us that even boiled water is not potable due to river water getting into the pipes so it's no longer just a bacteria issue, but now a "the water isn't being filtered at all" situation. And our potholes are so big a school bus fell in one yesterday. Flooding (one house took on water) is the big story when it should be our lack of running water.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:eek:

That's awful. Makes me appreciate our North Fork drought. :?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, why isn't that big national news? It's certainly as important as a lot of what passes for news now. :think:

Why, that's more important than anything I ever heard about any Kardashian!
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/floods-storm ... b86c5751cd

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves said Monday night that he is declaring a state of emergency after excessive rainfall exacerbated problems in one of Jackson’s water-treatment plants and caused low water pressure through much of the capital city.

The low pressure raised concerns about firefighting and about people’s ability to take showers or flush toilets.

Reeves said that on Tuesday, the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency will start distributing both drinking water and non-potable water in the city of 150,000 residents, and the National Guard will be called in to help. The governor said he understands people in Jackson don’t want to have water system problems.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Foggy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:39 am Yeah, why isn't that big national news? It's certainly as important as a lot of what passes for news now. :think:

Why, that's more important than anything I ever heard about any Kardashian!
They did a few sentences on it during the national news on the ole radio this morning that I caught, just the basics.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Not a lot of detail in that article about the nature of the damage to the pumps. Will not surprise me if repairs take longer than "days".
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

We've been working off of the two (redundant) back up pumps for 3 years, so yeah, "a few days" is a joke. Or working off of two at least mostly since the control board caught fire on one of them and it took them over a year to fix it beyond putting in some temp jumper wires or something.

Pro tip; if our mayor says it, it's a lie. If our Gov says it, 50/50 chance it's a lie.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:54 pm We've been working off of the two (redundant) back up pumps for 3 years, so yeah, "a few days" is a joke. Or working off of two at least mostly since the control board caught fire on one of them and it took them over a year to fix it beyond putting in some temp jumper wires or something.

Pro tip; if our mayor says it, it's a lie. If our Gov says it, 50/50 chance it's a lie.
They're why people don't trust the government with a broad brush.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I didn't know Jackson was 82.47% black.

Yanno, the technology for producing clean drinking water has only been around for a few years, like about the time of Roman civilization. Pretty recent, no wonder they haven't quite got around to the state capital yet.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:51 pm Yeah, I didn't know Jackson was 82.47% black.

Yanno, the technology for producing clean drinking water has only been around for a few years, like about the time of Roman civilization. Pretty recent, no wonder they haven't quite got around to the state capital yet.
It wasn't until the porta potties showed up in front of the capitol that the state did anything. Looks like Tater's dick is bigger than the mair's today.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:20 pm :snippity:
It wasn't until the porta potties showed up in front of the capitol that the state did anything. Looks like Tater's dick is bigger than the mair's today.
Did you remind them that the little slashes are millimeters? :think:

I'll come in again...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Pakistan

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

The newest problem is the empty water bottles. The State alone has provided 3 million bottles of water to residents in the last day and a half. That doesn't include what the City, private organizations, grocery stores and others have provided. The State has only been passing out water since Thursday. We've been under the free-water notice for over a month.

And now they say that since our water system has been operating under capacity for so long that when pressure gets back up to optimal we should expect water main breaks all over town. On average, with less than optimal PSI, we average close to 60 breaks per 100 miles of piping. The standard is 15 breaks per 100 miles.

We're fucked for the foreseeable future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

In a sane world, this is when the federal government steps in and has the money to implement a long-term solution.

I jest, of course. :|
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:16 am In a sane world, this is when the federal government steps in and has the money to implement a long-term solution.

I jest, of course. :|
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ja ... -rcna45444

Return to “Climate Change”