Ron DeSantis

These people suck. They are bad people.
Resume18

Re: Ron DeSantis

Post by Resume18 »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:11 pm Ahhhhh yes....prep the rubes for a holy war....

The Second Civil War is on the horizon I fear...
Again, I remember a talking head pontificating back before the 2016 election on how the religious right was weakened to near irrelevancy. I don't recall who that talking head was, and I bet he hopes no one else does either.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:sick:

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

"Gay" is just a slang term. Not to mention the word usage has been veering away from meaning "Homosexual" in recent years anyway. The actual word "Gay" means happy and frolicsome, nothing to do with Sexual orientation. So having it in a piece of legislation would just ban people being happy.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:twisted: "referring to a person as being ... a father [son]"

I guess you have to throw the Christian scriptures far away
Lani

Post by Lani »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:28 pm :twisted: "referring to a person as being ... a father [son]"

I guess you have to throw the Christian scriptures far away
Our parent who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Suranis wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:26 pm "Gay" is just a slang term. Not to mention the word usage has been veering away from meaning "Homosexual" in recent years anyway.
Maybe where you are, but here "Gay" is almost exclusively used to mean "Homosexual". I think just about the only time it's used to mean "happy" or "frolicsome" is at Christmas when people sing "Deck the Halls" with it's line about "Don we now our gay apparel."
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:12 am
Suranis wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:26 pm "Gay" is just a slang term. Not to mention the word usage has been veering away from meaning "Homosexual" in recent years anyway.
Maybe where you are, but here "Gay" is almost exclusively used to mean "Homosexual". I think just about the only time it's used to mean "happy" or "frolicsome" is at Christmas when people sing "Deck the Halls" with it's line about "Don we now our gay apparel."
There is a Film called "Fun in Baloonland" which is a pretty crap movie about the thanksgiving parade in Philadelphia in 1965, and the Narrator repeatedly exclaims about how "gay" various balloon floats are.

And the song "I feel pretty" which talks about how the person feels gay.

Besides, even if that slang term is used universally, its still a slang term, and using it in a piece of legislation would mean it would have to use it's proper meaning. A bit like using "Kids" for children would mean it actually applies to baby Goats.

So Ron DeSantis saying its not pointed at homosexuals because the word ""gay" is not used, is Gaslighting of the highest order.
Hic sunt dracones
tek

Post by tek »

Chris Cillizza, stopped clock right twice a day etc
You can see the results of DeSantis' aping of Fox talking points. Aside from former President Donald Trump, he is, by far, the best known and liked Republican in the party -- regularly winning 2024 straw polls that don't include Trump.)
There's also this: Trump soured on Fox in the wake of the 2020 election as, in the main, it refused to vouch for his false claims about election fraud.
"Very sad to watch this happen, but they forgot what made them successful, what got them there," Trump tweeted shortly after the 2020 election. "They forgot the Golden Goose. The biggest difference between the 2016 Election, and 2020, was @FoxNews!"

Knowing this -- and perhaps seeking to amplify the rift -- DeSantis has moved into the position of Fox's #1 mouthpiece in Republican politics.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/01/politics ... index.html
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
I believe I have related this story, so a reminder:

Numbah Two Son was 5 years old, and he asked at the dinner table, "What does 'gay' mean?"

And ol' Wifehorn said:
Suranis wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:26 pm "Gay" is just a slang term ... The actual word "Gay" means happy and frolicsome ...
But he was FIVE YEARS OLD, and do NOT try to fool a 5 year old, jeez.

"No, mom, it means something bad."

Said with a sneer almost. How could anyone think gay means happy? What is wrong with my mom?

Ol' Wifehorn: "I think I will let your father take this one."

Me: "It just means weird."

Which, he heard the word from other 5 year old boys, and that's all it really does mean to a 5 year old.

So he accepted my explanation, after learning that his mother was an idiot.

But we're all older than 5 here. We're not falling for that "gay means happy" horseshit.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Like a lot of my comments, I kind of expect people to draw inferences that are obvious to me. Like the point of what I was saying is that DeSantis saying that was gaslighting by saying "Oh the word Gay is not in the legislation" when he knew damn well that it make no sense to use that term.

And I think people not grasping that obvious point is really fvcking gay.

:batting:
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Oh, I know that, I was reminded of a moment in my life that is a clear memory, and like many I regret the appropriation of the word. I liked when it just meant happy. Why can't it mean both? :bighug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

My sister's middle name is 'Gay'.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
tek

Post by tek »

Off Topic
When I was growing up, Gay's Florists was right there on MacArthur Square (which was a circle) in Chicopee Falls.
My dad was friends with the owner, Frannie Gay. I was friends with his kids.

In 1973 this was just starting to be a problem for the kids in high school.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

keith wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:57 am My sister's middle name is 'Gay'.
Ben's last name is Gay.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:22 am
Ben's last name is Gay.
I'm getting the vibe that you think I'm kidding. I assure you I am not. And she is pushing 90.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

keith wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:27 am
Ben's last name is Gay.
I'm getting the vibe that you think I'm kidding. I assure you I am not. And she is pushing 90.
I don't think you're kidding. It's not a common name but it's a name. So is Fannie/Fanny, which would make some people smirk.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

keith wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:27 am
Ben's last name is Gay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_(given_name)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Enola Gay

The Old Gays.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Marcia Gay Harden
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Gay Talese (although in this case, it's short for Gaetano)
Image Image Image Image
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I had an Uncle Gay.

Ok, his first name actually was Gaylord, but I’m sure he was not unique in his nickname, especially in the time he lived.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

One of my best friend's sister was named Gay Ann. I always like her name. When the name was appropriated by the gay community, I was a little perturbed, but I figured it was their right to determine what they were called. I always liked the word meaning happy, and I liked Gay Ann, but it has always been a wash for me. I'd like to see it take its original meaning, but I'm okay with it, as much as I have any say in it, which is just about zilch.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:12 am
I think the words "gay' and "homosexual" became eternally blended together somewhere around Liberace and Charles Nelson Riley. And I mean that in the most respectful way. They really exaggerated the stereotypes most repressed white men feared and made it just a little less threatening.

Just what I think.

(not just those two, there were many, but those are the two who I knew were different even though I was too young to know what sexual orientation was)
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

There was a really famous broadcaster in Ireland for 40 years called Gay Byrne. I think it was short for Gabriel, but I'm not sure.

Looking at wiki it was Gabriel, ya. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Byrne
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”