Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Ron DeSantis

These people suck. They are bad people.
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Ron DeSantis

Post by Slarti the White »

Suranis wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:40 am So having a doctor have access to menstrual info is not a controversial opinion
Any doctor who is not a bound fiduciary to their patient's health and well-being by medical ethics (and their Hippocratic oath) having access to ANY of a patient's medical records -- at least without their informed consent -- is a serious HIPPA concern. Menstrual info, in this day and age, is potentially incriminating information. In other words, this is a legitimate Constitutional issue, especially given the known proclivities of the DeSantis administration.
Resume18

Ron DeSantis

Post by Resume18 »

I thought govt intrusion like this was anathematic to the QOP?
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
tek

Ron DeSantis

Post by tek »

Resume18 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:16 pm I thought govt intrusion like this was anathematic to the QOP?
IOKIYAR, of course..
noblepa

Ron DeSantis

Post by noblepa »

I recognize that schools should have certain information about a student's health, especially any conditions that might affect how a first responder treats them. Such things would include drug allergies, potential anaphalactic shock from bee stings or food consumption. They should also be aware of any medical or physical conditions that affect the student-athlete's ability to participate in sports.

Personally, I think that it should only require a doctor's thumbs up to play, with any first-responder information noted. The state should establish criteria that physicians use to evaluate a student-athlete. List conditions, such as physical fitness that an athlete must have and list conditions that an athlete may not have. The doctor should merely say, yes, this athlete meets the criteria to safely participate in sports or no, they do not.

Are there any clinical studies that indicate that an otherwise healthy student who is having her period is under any increased risk of injury? I don't think so. A girl may not perform her best if she is having cramps, but that is not a reason to prohibit her from playing.
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Ron DeSantis

Post by Slarti the White »

noblepa wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:49 pm I recognize that schools should have certain information about a student's health, especially any conditions that might affect how a first responder treats them. Such things would include drug allergies, potential anaphalactic shock from bee stings or food consumption. They should also be aware of any medical or physical conditions that affect the student-athlete's ability to participate in sports.

Personally, I think that it should only require a doctor's thumbs up to play, with any first-responder information noted. The state should establish criteria that physicians use to evaluate a student-athlete. List conditions, such as physical fitness that an athlete must have and list conditions that an athlete may not have. The doctor should merely say, yes, this athlete meets the criteria to safely participate in sports or no, they do not.

Are there any clinical studies that indicate that an otherwise healthy student who is having her period is under any increased risk of injury? I don't think so. A girl may not perform her best if she is having cramps, but that is not a reason to prohibit her from playing.
The skier Michaela Schiffrin (after breaking Lindsay Vonn's record for career victories) was asked about the possibility of getting 2 more wins in that competition (to break the overall record) and made a comment about it being a bad time in her female cycle -- so while it wouldn't stop a world-class athlete from competing, it seems that she didn't think she would be at her best.
Volkonski
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Volkonski »

I imagine that the FL GOP is trying to out the trans female athletes.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Ron DeSantis

Post by raison de arizona »

Wasn't the saying that the GOP wanted to shrink government small enough to fit in your bedroom? I suppose that in FL they've added the bathroom as well.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

No. They wanted to drown it in a bathtub.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

I kid. :mrgreen:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

:dance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Ron DeSantis

Post by RTH10260 »

DeSantis claims executive privilege, but it’s not in Florida Constitution or law

Emily L. Mahoney
Wed, February 1, 2023 at 8:02 PM GMT+1

Gov. Ron DeSantis has been eyeing a run for president, but he’s not waiting until 2024 to assert one of the most contested legal rights associated with that office.

In multiple lawsuits, DeSantis’ lawyers have claimed that the governor wields executive privilege, a special right invoked by U.S. presidents that shields them from disclosing information of their choosing.

Yet in a bombshell decision last month in an otherwise little-noticed lawsuit, a Tallahassee judge agreed with DeSantis’ attorneys that he, too, possesses executive privilege.

The case, which is being appealed, sets up a high-stakes test of Florida’s government transparency laws — widely considered among the most open in the country. If higher courts uphold that DeSantis has the right to shield certain records, it could dramatically hinder the public’s ability to pry information out of the state, open government advocates warn.

The Tampa Bay Times and Miami Herald are joining other media outlets in preparing a friend of the court brief in the appeal, advocating against the withholding of records.

“We consent to be governed and don’t elect public officials to act without accountability,” said Michael Barfield, director of public access with the Florida Center for Government Accountability in Tallahassee. The group has sued the DeSantis administration in separate cases over records related to Florida’s flights transporting migrants from Texas to Martha’s Vineyard.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/desantis-cla ... 12109.html
(original: Miami Herald)
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:45 pm I imagine that the FL GOP is trying to out the trans female athletes.
:winner:
sugar magnolia

Ron DeSantis

Post by sugar magnolia »

For those of you who see nothing wrong with tracking a teen's menstrual cycle because of "medical" reasons, give me one legitimate medical issue that might be identified by doing so.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Ron DeSantis

Post by neonzx »

DeSantis files complaint against Orlando Philharmonic for hosting drag holiday event

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... day-event/
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’s (R) administration has filed a complaint against an Orlando foundation over a drag holiday event it hosted in which minors were allowed to attend the show.

The complaint, which was filed Friday, alleges that the Orlando Philharmonic Plaza Foundation violated state law in allowing for a person to “commit lewd or lascivious exhibition” in the presence of an individual who is less than 16 years old.

It states that the foundation hosted a show called “A Drag Queen Christmas” on Dec. 28 and sold alcoholic drinks during it. The complaint, which the Florida-based news outlet The Floridian published a copy of online, said that the foundation used “Christmas-themed promotional materials” that did not give advance notice of the “sexually explicit nature” of the show’s contents.

The materials said all ages were welcome.

The state’s Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco under the Department of Business and Professional Regulation filed the complaint in its capacity as a regulator of alcohol. It is attempting to revoke the foundation’s liquor license for six alleged counts of violating Florida statutes :snippity:

pipistrelle

Ron DeSantis

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:55 am For those of you who see nothing wrong with tracking a teen's menstrual cycle because of "medical" reasons, give me one legitimate medical issue that might be identified by doing so.
Yeah, I got nothing. That's why I keep coming back to it.
tek

Ron DeSantis

Post by tek »

The complaint, which was filed Friday, alleges that the Orlando Philharmonic Plaza Foundation violated state law in allowing for a person to “commit lewd or lascivious exhibition” in the presence of an individual who is less than 16 years old.

It states that the foundation hosted a show called “A Drag Queen Christmas” on Dec. 28 and sold alcoholic drinks during it. The complaint, which the Florida-based news outlet The Floridian published a copy of online, said that the foundation used “Christmas-themed promotional materials” that did not give advance notice of the “sexually explicit nature” of the show’s contents.
Where in all of that do they actually make the accusation that "lewd or lascivious" or "sexually explicit" happened in fact?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Ron DeSantis

Post by neonzx »

tek wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:31 pm Where in all of that do they actually make the accusation that "lewd or lascivious" or "sexually explicit" happened in fact?
Stop making sense! Remember, you are a Floridan now... your IQ automatically is supposed to decrease by 33%+ upon becoming a resident. :twisted:
tek

Ron DeSantis

Post by tek »

neonzx wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:19 pm
tek wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:31 pm Where in all of that do they actually make the accusation that "lewd or lascivious" or "sexually explicit" happened in fact?
Stop making sense! Remember, you are a Floridan now... your IQ automatically is supposed to decrease by 33%+ upon becoming a resident. :twisted:
doh.jpg
doh.jpg (39.99 KiB) Viewed 412 times
:batting:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Ron DeSantis

Post by RTH10260 »

Disney's strategy to win its battle with DeSantis is to just wait until he runs for president, says a top Florida Democrat

Kimberly Leonard
Mon, February 6, 2023 at 9:33 PM GMT+1
  • Disney will sue Florida for dissolving its self-governing status, predicted Democratic state Sen. Jason Pizzo.
    Florida lawmakers are deciding Disney's financial fate this week.
    DeSantis retaliated against Disney for saying it would fight the law critics call "Don't Say Gay."
Walt Disney World's strategy to avoid taking on new costs amid its ongoing battle with Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis will be to simply run out the clock, a top Florida Democrat predicted Monday.

Florida lawmakers are in Tallahassee for a special session over the next two weeks to decide the fate of Disney, one of the state's biggest employers, in a costly dispute over who should take on the theme park's considerable debt.

DeSantis wants the legislature to give him the power to appoint a state-run oversight board, Fox News first reported, now that the company is set to soon lose its special self-governing status.

State Sen. Jason Pizzo, a Democrat representing parts of Broward and Miami-Dade, predicted Disney was angling to challenge the law in court, and then to resolve the problem when DeSantis leaves office, likely to run for the 2024 Republican nomination for president.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disneys-stra ... 08666.html
(original: INSIDER)
Gregg

Ron DeSantis

Post by Gregg »

DeSantis has to resign to run for President, but when? Not until he gets the nomination, or when he files? I has questions.... :confuzzled:

I personally think he'd be dumb to run in 2024. Face it, if Trump does not get the nomination, he'll burn the party to the ground one way or another and beating Trump will be an empty victory.

Better to sit it out, let him run and lose, and then come back in 2028 and gather up the wreck the party is going to be.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

Gregg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:33 pm DeSantis has to resign to run for President, but when? Not until he gets the nomination, or when he files? I has questions.... :confuzzled:

I personally think he'd be dumb to run in 2024. Face it, if Trump does not get the nomination, he'll burn the party to the ground one way or another and beating Trump will be an empty victory.

Better to sit it out, let him run and lose, and then come back in 2028 and gather up the wreck the party is going to be.
There is an exception for running for President in Florida's resign to run law: https://soe.dos.state.fl.us/pdf/DE-Guid ... wFinal.pdf
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

Professor of English at UNF.
https://twitter.com/LAHeffernan/status/ ... 6764081152
Laura Heffernan @LAHeffernan wrote: Yesterday, my university notified me that it had searched my email and would be submitting some of them to the state legislature because they deal with DEI work.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Phoenix520 »

Searched her emails? Is that normal?
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:05 pm Searched her emails? Is that normal?
The new normal, for FL at least:
Laura Heffernan @LAHeffernan wrote: Yes, the head of the state legislature requested all emails and text communications related to DEI work from all state universities by mid-Feb. They are required by law to comply.
https://twitter.com/LAHeffernan/status/ ... 0239179777
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

XPOST

Florida. Of course. An example of some of the banned books (ARE YOU F%^$^KING KIDDING ME???):
Full list: https://pen.org/banned-books-florida/

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”