Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Ron DeSantis

These people suck. They are bad people.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... imous-jury
The rightwing Republican governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis, wants to end the constitutional requirement that juries in his state are unanimous when handing down death sentences.

“Fine, have a super-majority,” DeSantis told the Florida Sheriffs Association on Monday. “But you can’t just say one person votes no.”

“Maybe eight out of 12 or something,” he added.

Florida has required jury unanimity in capital cases since 2017, a change made after the US supreme court rendered unconstitutional the state system of allowing a simple majority of a jury to recommend death and a judge then deciding whether to impose it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Ron DeSantis

Post by raison de arizona »

Florida's education board approves training for school librarians to scrutinize materials
A law past last year requires school boards to adopt procedures that provide for the “regular removal or discontinuance” of books that don't align with state standards, among other factors.

Florida’s top education officials on Wednesday approved a rule to carry out a new state law requiring school-library employees to complete training sessions as part of an effort to increase scrutiny of library books and instructional materials.
:snippity:
Gov. Ron DeSantis last year approved a law (HB 1467), passed by the Republican-controlled Florida Legislature, requiring school boards to adopt procedures that provide for the “regular removal or discontinuance” of books based on factors such as alignment to state standards.

The rule mandating library-employee training approved Wednesday also stems from the controversial law.
Additional guidelines for employees that center on the selection of instructional materials, library books and reading lists require avoiding “unsolicited theories that may lead to student indoctrination.”

Fighting “indoctrination” in classrooms has been a pillar of DeSantis’ education agenda. The governor has focused his efforts in part on weeding out critical race theory, which is based on the premise that racism is embedded in American society
, from public-schools and the state’s higher-education system.
https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/education ... hool-books
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Ron DeSantis

Post by Ben-Prime »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:55 am https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... imous-jury
The rightwing Republican governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis, wants to end the constitutional requirement that juries in his state are unanimous when handing down death sentences.

“Fine, have a super-majority,” DeSantis told the Florida Sheriffs Association on Monday. “But you can’t just say one person votes no.”

“Maybe eight out of 12 or something,” he added.

Florida has required jury unanimity in capital cases since 2017, a change made after the US supreme court rendered unconstitutional the state system of allowing a simple majority of a jury to recommend death and a judge then deciding whether to impose it.
So it's okay for a single unreasonable holdout to prevent someone from being found guilty of a crime they clearly committed, but not to spare them the ultimate punishment if they are, mirabile dictu, found guilty.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

Victoria Brownworth @VABVOX wrote: They want the date of the girl's first period, how long between periods, how regular the cycle. Know that many girls stop menstruating when they are hyper-athletic.

Florida sports association panel recommends making menstrual cycle questions mandatory

palmbeachpost.com
Florida HS sports association panel recommends making menstrual cycle questions mandatory

When girls stop menstruating, schools can claim they are really trans and kick them off the team. I have reported on schools that have checked the medical records of girls whose athleticism is superior to their teammates all the way back to kindergarten to "prove" their gender.

There is ZERO reason to have this data on girls' menstrual cycles. This is to check sexuality, orientation and identity and control their bodies. It's a huge invasion of privacy and ACLU could take this on in between supporting Trump and Fuentes' 1A rights to social media.

What's wrong with this headline?
See if you can spot it.
“Athletes must report their menstrual history."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Ron DeSantis

Post by Suranis »

They are important questions regarding the health of female athletes. Doctors need to know the answers of these questions

What the row is actually about is the move to Electronic forms, which raise issues of privacy as the schools could read the answers before they are forwarded to doctors.

Of course, the same privacy concerns are really for the other parts of the body as well, and is just as important for male athletes. But they are focusing on Mensuration because...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/flori ... l-periods/
In Florida, these written forms with students' medical information are submitted to school officials, contrary to a number of other states where only a doctor's signature is required to clear an athlete for play. While period information is important for doctors to know as it affects an athlete's physical health, some parents and medical professionals raised red flags with the questioning, when, according to an October 2022 Palm Beach Post investigation, a number of school districts shifted the forms to a digital platform.

Their concerns grew as many states worked to criminalize abortions after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade and transgender athletes faced scrutiny. In Florida, abortions are banned after 15 weeks, with only a few exceptions.

Pediatricians told the Palm Beach Post that they were appalled to learn that schools and coaches could access sensitive medical records — access that was seemingly growing easier with the paper-to-digital transition in record-keeping. Any forms (physical or digital) could be subpoenaed. Meanwhile, in Palm Beach County, nearly all athlete-registration forms moved online, which meant reproductive data for athletes was being stored by a third-party software company called Aktivate. Other counties were also planning to digitize their forms.

In October 2022, the Palm Beach County School District called on the FHSAA to remove the questions about menstruation on the form entirely. A spokesperson told NBC News, "Although the question regarding menstruation is optional, our district has recently inquired about having this question removed," adding that the district keeps records for seven years before destroying them.

Abortion rights advocates believe that reproductive privacy is at risk, and worry that students who seek to terminate pregnancies could risk prosecution if their menstruation information is made available to such parties. Parents, meanwhile, have concerns that their child's medical data could be leaked or sold.
Lits of links at the link.
Hic sunt dracones
Fiona

Ron DeSantis

Post by Fiona »

Well, this is something else. I have been getting answers from my patients and then charting that they chose not to answer the question. Or just not asking about their cycles unless there may be a negative health outcome.
RVInit

Ron DeSantis

Post by RVInit »

And what happens if a female athlete reduces her body fat enough for her menstruation to stop? They automagically determine she must be trans? The Republican party is barreling full speed ahead into uber authoritarianism. I hope whenever the chickens come home to roost they, and their fucked up voters experience the same deep shame that overcame many Germans after WWII. I wish that could happen tomorrow, I am really afraid for our country at this point.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug: Me too.
Dr. Ken

Ron DeSantis

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
sad-cafe

Ron DeSantis

Post by sad-cafe »

they would not like my bookshelves

I teach SS
MN-Skeptic

Ron DeSantis

Post by MN-Skeptic »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:18 pm they would not like my bookshelves

I teach SS
Sunday school?

Social studies?

Scholastic sexting?

Scandinavian smorgasbords?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

That's truly horrifying. I would think most people would see this as a red flag, but I guess not. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Phoenix520 »

He’s oblivious to anything outside his Florida bubble. He is surrounded by yes men, fires anyone who pushes back.

I honestly don’t think he’s popular everywhere. He’s more a Ted Cruz figure - no one likes him but he can be used.
Lani

Ron DeSantis

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:33 pm That's truly horrifying. I would think most people would see this as a red flag, but I guess not. :mad:
When I first looked for an office job (a long time ago), one interview was with Geico.The guy asked menstrual cycle questions. I was appalled. He said the company had good medical insurance, so they wouldn't hire anyone (aka a woman) who might be pregnant. The interview did not end well.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Kendra

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kendra »

Trump: Ron would not have been governor if it was not for me. When I hear he might run, I consider that very disloyal.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Ron DeSantis

Post by northland10 »

Everytime Trump says "disloyal" you take a drink.
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Ron DeSantis

Post by neonzx »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:06 pm He’s oblivious to anything outside his Florida bubble. He is surrounded by yes men, fires anyone who pushes back.

I honestly don’t think he’s popular everywhere. He’s more a Ted Cruz figure - no one likes him but he can be used.
I live in Florida. You would be making a mistake at your own peril if you discount DeSantis' appeal. He is perfect for the MAGA crowd nationwide.
RVInit

Ron DeSantis

Post by RVInit »

neonzx wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:00 am
Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:06 pm He’s oblivious to anything outside his Florida bubble. He is surrounded by yes men, fires anyone who pushes back.

I live in Florida. You would be making a mistake at your own peril if you discount DeSantis' appeal. He is perfect for the MAGA crowd nationwide.
And he will be even worse than Trump because he will hire competent people to destroy everything. Think Florida, except it will be nationwide. He terrifies me.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Ron DeSantis

Post by Ben-Prime »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:21 am
neonzx wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:00 am I live in Florida. You would be making a mistake at your own peril if you discount DeSantis' appeal. He is perfect for the MAGA crowd nationwide.
And he will be even worse than Trump because he will hire competent people to destroy everything. Think Florida, except it will be nationwide. He terrifies me.
I waggle my hand at the last part. I think it depends on one's definition of competent.

I mean, yeah, I've spent the DeStuntis administrations thus far mostly overseas -- I left the U.S. for Bangladesh in April 2019 and except for 5 weeks of home leave in the Spring of 2021, I've spent the entire time since not on U.S. soil except in the sense that we consider Embassies overseas to be 'U.S. soil'. But, if the Surgeon General of Florida, for example; or his hiring of the election police, for another; or his University trustee appointments are any real indicator, frankly, he's not hiring people who are competent at the jobs they are intended to.

If he's hiring for showboating competence, then yes, I agree.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
humblescribe
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by humblescribe »

DeSantis is jiggering the trustees at New College in Sarasota.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... e-woke-war

This guy is really bad.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Resume18

Ron DeSantis

Post by Resume18 »

humblescribe wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:49 pm DeSantis is jiggering the trustees at New College in Sarasota.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... e-woke-war

This guy is really bad.
Think he's bad now, wait until he's POTUS.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Kendra

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kendra »

DeSantis is asked during a news conference for his view on DirecTV dropping Newsmax. He says it warrants a congressional investigation.
raison de arizona

Ron DeSantis

"intellectual discrimination"

:lol:

What does that even mean? That companies have to air stupid shit whether they want to or not?
RVInit

Ron DeSantis

Post by RVInit »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:21 pm
RVInit wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:21 am
neonzx wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:00 am I live in Florida. You would be making a mistake at your own peril if you discount DeSantis' appeal. He is perfect for the MAGA crowd nationwide.
I waggle my hand at the last part. I think it depends on one's definition of competent.

I mean, yeah, I've spent the DeStuntis administrations thus far mostly overseas -- I left the U.S. for Bangladesh in April 2019 and except for 5 weeks of home leave in the Spring of 2021, I've spent the entire time since not on U.S. soil except in the sense that we consider Embassies overseas to be 'U.S. soil'. But, if the Surgeon General of Florida, for example; or his hiring of the election police, for another; or his University trustee appointments are any real indicator, frankly, he's not hiring people who are competent at the jobs they are intended to.

If he's hiring for showboating competence, then yes, I agree.
Yeah, competent as in able to effectively carry out disgusting policies and get away with it.
--Colin Kaepernick
Gregg

Ron DeSantis

Post by Gregg »

But he doesn't, really.

He has big press conferences where he unveils his new Election Police, but when they go have dramatic raids and arrest 20 people for election fraud (out of what, 10 million?) the cases all get tossed out of court. He gets the Leg to dissolve Reedy Creek, and says no one is going to have to pick up the tab for the few billion that Disney currently pays but the State is actually legally responsible for. Of course, he's won re-election so now they're trying to find a way to save face and still let Disney run all that stuff because fact is, Disney is damn good at it and the people in the two counties affected are gonna be a little pissed when the property tax doubles and the roads aren't getting fixed anymore. Not gonna be his problem, so he really doesn't care.

That's what's he's good at, theater. Actual policy, not so much.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”