Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Ron DeSantis

These people suck. They are bad people.
Uninformed

Ron DeSantis

Post by Uninformed »

“Florida Guv Gave Out VIP Vaccines. This Is Who Got Screwed”:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/florida-g ... p-vaccines
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... r-to-lower
Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried (D) on Monday said that she will direct offices under her purview to disregard Gov. Ron DeSantis’s (R) order to lower flags to half-staff to commemorate the late conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh.

“Lowering to half-staff the flag of the United States of America is a sacred honor that pays respect to fallen heroes and patriots. It is not a partisan political tool. Therefore, I will notify all state offices under my direction to disregard the Governor's forthcoming order to lower flags for Mr. Limbaugh – because we will not celebrate hate speech, bigotry, and division,” Fried said in a statement Monday.

“Lowering the flag should always reflect unity, not division, and raising our standards, not lowering them,” she added. “Our flags will remain flying high to celebrate the American values of diversity, inclusion, and respect for all.”

Fried was elected to office independently of DeSantis and has been a frequent critic of the governor.
Cross Posting
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

DeSantis, Clemency Board remove 5-year waiting period to restore civil rights to felons
Desmond Meade's appeal for pardon denied
https://www.fox4now.com/news/state/desa ... -to-felons
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — Governor Ron DeSantis and the Clemency Board removed the minimum five-year waiting period for felons to apply to have civil rights restored, including the right to vote.

In addition to the rule changes, DeSantis and the clemency board on Wednesday denied the request for a pardon by Desmond Meade, the director of the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition who achieved international fame for his voting-rights efforts.

People who have their civil rights restored are three times less likely to re-offend, according to a review by the Florida Parole Commission

The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition submitted proposed clemency reforms to DeSantis in February 2020. The plan eliminated the five- and seven-year waiting periods and would create a streamlined process for felons eligible under Amendment 4 to have their voting rights restored without an application.
:snippity:
It's not perfect, but it's a step forward.
It's a Jim Crow law that needs dismantled. That's what it was.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:27 pm DeSantis, Clemency Board remove 5-year waiting period to restore civil rights to felons
Desmond Meade's appeal for pardon denied
https://www.fox4now.com/news/state/desa ... -to-felons
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — Governor Ron DeSantis and the Clemency Board removed the minimum five-year waiting period for felons to apply to have civil rights restored, including the right to vote.

In addition to the rule changes, DeSantis and the clemency board on Wednesday denied the request for a pardon by Desmond Meade, the director of the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition who achieved international fame for his voting-rights efforts.

People who have their civil rights restored are three times less likely to re-offend, according to a review by the Florida Parole Commission

The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition submitted proposed clemency reforms to DeSantis in February 2020. The plan eliminated the five- and seven-year waiting periods and would create a streamlined process for felons eligible under Amendment 4 to have their voting rights restored without an application.
It's not perfect, but it's a step forward.
Maybe preparing the way for their newest residents and their potential future issues.
101010 :towel:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:29 pm
Maybe preparing the way for their newest residents and their potential future issues.
:rotflmao: All the Trump family evacuees from the north?

Naw. I think they know the writing is on the wall on this issue. We (Floridians) voted to restore the civil rights of felons who did their time back in 2018. The Republicans fouled it after in the legislature. They know they are going to get screwed -- this was an effort to appease.

Florida is going to be a blue state... it may take some years.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

YouTube pulls Florida governor’s video, says his panel spread Covid-19 misinformation
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/yo ... d-n1263635
Video of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and a panel of scientists apparently trading in Covid-19 misinformation has been pulled from YouTube.

The video of DeSantis’ roundtable discussion last month at the state Capitol in Tallahassee was removed on Wednesday because it violated the social media platform’s standards, YouTube spokesperson Elena Hernandez said.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Lani wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:46 am YouTube pulls Florida governor’s video, says his panel spread Covid-19 misinformation
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/yo ... d-n1263635
Video of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and a panel of scientists apparently trading in Covid-19 misinformation has been pulled from YouTube.

The video of DeSantis’ roundtable discussion last month at the state Capitol in Tallahassee was removed on Wednesday because it violated the social media platform’s standards, YouTube spokesperson Elena Hernandez said.
Welcome to Florida..would you like a pina colada caught in the rain? That's FL politics.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Cross posting:
If Florida won’t allow Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings to require proof of COVID-19 vaccination for passengers and crew, the company’s CEO says it will take its ships elsewhere.

CEO Frank Del Rio made the threat during an earnings call Thursday, just days after Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill passed by the Republican-controlled state Legislature that bans businesses, schools and government entities in Florida from asking anyone to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination.

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings is the world’s third largest cruise company, parent to cruise brands Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas. Miami-Dade County spent $263 million building a terminal for Norwegian at Port Miami that finished construction last year.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/busine ... rylink=cpy
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Lani wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:42 pm Cross posting:
If Florida won’t allow Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings to require proof of COVID-19 vaccination for passengers and crew, the company’s CEO says it will take its ships elsewhere.

CEO Frank Del Rio made the threat during an earnings call Thursday, just days after Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill passed by the Republican-controlled state Legislature that bans businesses, schools and government entities in Florida from asking anyone to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination.

That CEO is a man I can admire, unlike DeathSantis.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Lani wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:42 pm Cross posting:

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings is the world’s third largest cruise company, parent to cruise brands Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas. Miami-Dade County spent $263 million building a terminal for Norwegian at Port Miami that finished construction last year.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/busine ... rylink=cpy
I believe this threat -- my first corporate IT job (I had previously worked in a small business partnership with a sales engineer and a tech in my own retail computer store) was working in the SoFla cruise industry in the late 1990s. I've met Frank Del Rio once or twice and a lot of my colleagues, former managers, and their colleagues have worked with him directly for 20+ years. This is not a bluff, IMNSHO.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I don't see the cruise industry recovering without assurances customers won't be exposed to a deadly virus while cooped up on a tin can in the middle of the ocean with thousands of strangers.

The GI issues were bad enough.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

GQP, so pro-business.

Not.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The only thing the GQP is pro these days is ruling, at any cost.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Just got home from Hub's doctor appointment. As we left through the lobby, there was a woman wearing a shirt that said (I shit you not)
Desantis
Make America Florida

I don't think she realizes what America thinks of Florida.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:faint:
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:21 pm Just got home from Hub's doctor appointment. As we left through the lobby, there was a woman wearing a shirt that said (I shit you not)
Desantis
Make America Florida

I don't think she realizes what America thinks of Florida.
I'd say unbelievable, but not.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

And DiSantis pulls another fast one. He’s holding off on a special election to fill the seat of the late U.S. Rep. Alcee Hastings, who died in April, deciding that January would be the perfect time for an election. This means that the Dems will have one less vote in the House for nine months, where their lead is already razor-thin.

Never mind the constituents who won’t have any representation. The only thing that matters to DiSantis is that he’s working to impress Trump cultists who might back him for a 2024 presidential run.

How can he get away with this? “There aughta be a law..........” :smokeears: :smokeears: :mad2: :mad2: :cussing: :cussing: :fuckyou: :fuckyou:
bob

Post by bob »

538 wrote an article last week about the delays in special elections to fill vacant House seats.

Hastings' seat was cited as an example.
Image ImageImage
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

DeSantis Signs Bill Requiring Minute Of Prayer In Public Schools: “You Can’t Push God Out Of Every Institution”
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireSto ... r-78274980
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis visited a South Florida Jewish temple to denounce anti-Semitism and stand with Israel, as the Republican governor cloaked himself in religion Monday while signing a bill into law that would require public schools in his state to set aside at least one minute of silence for children to meditate or pray.

“It’s something that’s important to be able to provide each student the ability, every day, to be able to reflect and to be able to pray as they see fit,” DeSantis said. “The idea that you can just push God out of every institution, and be successful — I’m sorry, our founding fathers did not believe that.”
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:12 pm “It’s something that’s important to be able to provide each student the ability, every day, to be able to reflect and to be able to pray as they see fit,” DeSantis said. “The idea that you can just push God out of every institution, and be successful — I’m sorry, our founding fathers did not believe that.”
[/quote]

When I hear this, and then mention to RWNJ that 80% of colonial Americans never even went to church....all I seem to get is the RCA dog stare... :shrug:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Nothing prevents children or adults from spending as much time as they deem necessary or desirable to pray or otherwise tend to their spiritual needs prior to showing up for school or government agency meetings and hearings. If one can't satisfy the need for prayer in private I would question the purpose of having to pray in public.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

RVInit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:24 pm Nothing prevents children or adults from spending as much time as they deem necessary or desirable to pray or otherwise tend to their spiritual needs prior to showing up for school or government agency meetings and hearings. If one can't satisfy the need for prayer in private I would question the purpose of having to pray in public.
It doesn't even need to be before school. Students have plenty of time (study periods, lunch period, etc) to carve out 60 seconds (or more) on their own.

I also think this is just pandering to Christians by DeSantis to drum-up support for his 2024 Presidential run.

I also note, Muslims are ignored in this forced moment (minute). Muslims cannot complete their prayer in 60 seconds -- about 5 is the quickest I've seen it performed.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:12 pm DeSantis Signs Bill Requiring Minute Of Prayer In Public Schools: “You Can’t Push God Out Of Every Institution”
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireSto ... r-78274980
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis visited a South Florida Jewish temple to denounce anti-Semitism and stand with Israel, as the Republican governor cloaked himself in religion Monday while signing a bill into law that would require public schools in his state to set aside at least one minute of silence for children to meditate or pray.

“It’s something that’s important to be able to provide each student the ability, every day, to be able to reflect and to be able to pray as they see fit,” DeSantis said. “The idea that you can just push God out of every institution, and be successful — I’m sorry, our founding fathers did not believe that.”
Yeah, that whole separation of church and state comment has been misconstrued for years.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think it was Alexander Hamilton who said that it was necessary to keep religion separate from government because otherwise it would ruin both. (I could be wrong on Hamilton, but I can't look it up now.)

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”