Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Ron DeSantis

These people suck. They are bad people.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Ron DeSantis

Post by northland10 »

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:30 pm I will admit that I'm wondering how the university would have such info under HIPAA. Unless it was a university medical center or something providing the treatment. Or does the article cover this and I just have to read the damn thing?
Student health centers and any university-provided insurance coverage may include the information but still have HIPAA apply. In addition, would FERPA apply here as they are education institutions?

He may be trying to skirt the federal laws by asking for counts and ages but not PII.
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Phoenix520 »

Discrimination of any sort is not welcome in the state of Florida…
That statement is such a blatant lie I can’t even.
Gregg

Ron DeSantis

Post by Gregg »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:02 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:30 pm I will admit that I'm wondering how the university would have such info under HIPAA. Unless it was a university medical center or something providing the treatment. Or does the article cover this and I just have to read the damn thing?
Student health centers and any university-provided insurance coverage may include the information but still have HIPAA apply. In addition, would FERPA apply here as they are education institutions?

He may be trying to skirt the federal laws by asking for counts and ages but not PII.
The request for information in the survey states to redact any personal indentifiers, so no HIPPA conflict. Evil as shit but legal-ish.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Ron DeSantis

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

College Board is pushing back, sort of (though note the date). Doesn't work when the course itself is something the state wants to ban.
High schools could lose AP classes if they ban ‘required topics’ from being taught
Scott Stump
March 4, 2022

As a host of state legislatures and school districts across the country vote to ban certain books and subjects from being taught in schools, the College Board announced in a new statement of principles this week that any high schools that ban "required topics" in their Advanced Placement classes could lose AP designation.

That means a ban on any AP materials required by The College Board, a nonprofit that oversees the SAT and the AP program, could mean a school losing specific AP classes.

The amount of AP classes offered is often factored in by parents when weighing the quality of a high school, and colleges and universities weigh how many AP classes a student took during the admissions process. Having AP classes lose their designation would also remove the opportunity for high school students to earn college credits in those subjects by scoring high on AP exams.

"If a school bans required topics from their AP courses, the AP Program removes the AP designation from that course and its inclusion in the AP Course Ledger provided to colleges and universities," Zach Goldberg, executive director of media relations for The College Board, told TODAY in an email.
https://www.yahoo.com/now/high-schools- ... ccounter=2
Gregg

Ron DeSantis

Post by Gregg »

That's okay, Harvard and Yale don't need anyone from Florida.

pipistrelle

Ron DeSantis

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:00 pm That's okay, Harvard and Yale don't need anyone from Florida.
We don't need no education!

AP courses are a great way to get a head start and maybe to squeeze in extra courses if they meet requirements. Mine got me ahead in a couple subjects and out of a requirement. But they don't need no education.
Gregg

Ron DeSantis

Post by Gregg »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:22 pm
Gregg wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:00 pm That's okay, Harvard and Yale don't need anyone from Florida.

AP courses are a great way to get a head start and maybe to squeeze in extra courses if they meet requirements. Mine got me ahead in a couple subjects and out of a requirement. But they don't need no education.
Meanwhile, Florida State will soon be teaching remedial English and Maths to three fourths of incoming freshmen. The truly gifted will leave before college to avoid the stigma that a diploma from a Florida High School will soon carry.

RVInit

Ron DeSantis

Post by RVInit »

Gregg wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:31 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:22 pm
It

Meanwhile, Florida State will soon be teaching remedial English and Maths to three fourths of incoming freshmen. The truly gifted will leave before college to avoid the stigma that a diploma from a Florida High School will soon carry.
This is true. I grew up in Florida under a Democratic governor, and the school system here prepared me very well for college. Florida used to be a paradise in so many ways. I used to be able to watch Faux News pretty often, in order to keep up with what kind of brainwashing Faux watchers were getting. I can hardly stand to pay attention to it anymore. In the same way, I prefer to watch national/international news because the lpca; news is so depressing.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Ron DeSantis

Post by Ben-Prime »

RVInit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:45 am
This is true. I grew up in Florida under a Democratic governor, and the school system here prepared me very well for college. Florida used to be a paradise in so many ways. I used to be able to watch Faux News pretty often, in order to keep up with what kind of brainwashing Faux watchers were getting. I can hardly stand to pay attention to it anymore. In the same way, I prefer to watch national/international news because the lpca; news is so depressing.
Same. I completed middle and high school in South Florida during the governorship of Bob Graham (D); spent the Martinez (R) years at NYU doing my undergrad work, and then a single term of my grad study at UF; did the rest of my time at UF and entered the workforce under the governorship of the late, great Lawton Chiles (D). I was still in state employ (as a child support enforcement collector for the Department of Revenue) when Jeb (R) took over the governor's mansion, and then at the time came the Crist (R at the time), Scott (R) and now DeSantis (R) years.

I see a big difference between the quality of education, civic engagement, and life in general in Florida in the 1980s and 1990s and the quality of life since the late 1990s. It saddens me.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Ron DeSantis

Post by RTH10260 »

Prosecutor suspended by DeSantis loses bid to get job back

ANTHONY IZAGUIRRE
Fri, January 20, 2023 at 6:34 PM GMT+1

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A federal judge ruled Friday that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis violated the First Amendment and the Florida Constitution by removing an elected state prosecutor, but that the federal courts lack the power to reinstate him.

In an order dismissing the case, U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle wrote that federal law prevents him from returning elected prosecutor Andrew Warren to office in a lawsuit that centered on state law.

DeSantis suspended Warren last year over the elected prosecutor’s signing of statements that said he would not pursue criminal charges against seekers or providers of abortion or gender transition treatments, as well as policies about not charging people with some minor crimes.

Warren — a twice-elected, Democratic state attorney in Hillsborough County, which includes Tampa — sued the governor in federal court to get his job back.

“The idea that a governor can break federal and state law to suspend an elected official should send shivers down the spine of anyone who cares about free speech, the integrity of our elections or the rule of law,” Warren said at a brief press conference Friday, before telling reporters “This is not over."

In testimony, Warren argued that he was suspended over his personal political positions on abortion and transgender issues. He said his office applied prosecutorial discretion over whether to bring charges in all cases, considering public safety and other matters.

Judge Hinkle's decision largely sides with Warren's arguments but finds that the case is effectively a state matter that cannot be resolved by a federal judge.

“Florida Governor Ron DeSantis suspended elected State Attorney Andrew H. Warren, ostensibly on the ground that Mr. Warren had blanket policies not to prosecute certain kinds of cases. The allegation was false," Hinkle wrote. “Mr. Warren’s well established policy, followed in every case by every prosecutor in the office, was to exercise prosecutorial discretion at every stage of every case.”

He added: “But the Eleventh Amendment prohibits a federal court from awarding declaratory or injunctive relief of the kind at issue against a state official based only on a violation of state law.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prosecutor-s ... 10012.html
Gregg

Ron DeSantis

Post by Gregg »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:25 pm
Prosecutor suspended by DeSantis loses bid to get job back

ANTHONY IZAGUIRRE
Fri, January 20, 2023 at 6:34 PM GMT+1

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A federal judge ruled Friday that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis violated the First Amendment and the Florida Constitution by removing an elected state prosecutor, but that the federal courts lack the power to reinstate him.

In an order dismissing the case, U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle wrote that federal law prevents him from returning elected prosecutor Andrew Warren to office in a lawsuit that centered on state law.

DeSantis suspended Warren last year over the elected prosecutor’s signing of statements that said he would not pursue criminal charges against seekers or providers of abortion or gender transition treatments, as well as policies about not charging people with some minor crimes.

Warren — a twice-elected, Democratic state attorney in Hillsborough County, which includes Tampa — sued the governor in federal court to get his job back.

“The idea that a governor can break federal and state law to suspend an elected official should send shivers down the spine of anyone who cares about free speech, the integrity of our elections or the rule of law,” Warren said at a brief press conference Friday, before telling reporters “This is not over."

In testimony, Warren argued that he was suspended over his personal political positions on abortion and transgender issues. He said his office applied prosecutorial discretion over whether to bring charges in all cases, considering public safety and other matters.

Judge Hinkle's decision largely sides with Warren's arguments but finds that the case is effectively a state matter that cannot be resolved by a federal judge.

“Florida Governor Ron DeSantis suspended elected State Attorney Andrew H. Warren, ostensibly on the ground that Mr. Warren had blanket policies not to prosecute certain kinds of cases. The allegation was false," Hinkle wrote. “Mr. Warren’s well established policy, followed in every case by every prosecutor in the office, was to exercise prosecutorial discretion at every stage of every case.”

He added: “But the Eleventh Amendment prohibits a federal court from awarding declaratory or injunctive relief of the kind at issue against a state official based only on a violation of state law.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prosecutor-s ... 10012.html

I cannot help but feel like the Indian Chief who asked General Sherman what good the Courts were when they only worked for the white man.

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Ron DeSantis

Post by Ben-Prime »

Can he use the findings of the federal court to then challenge in state court or ... does that not fly?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kendra

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kendra »

Paywall so I will give you gist. Lots of Desantis hype and fanfare, millions wasted, no permanent director, most positions unfilled, a handful of bogus arrests, 4 cases thrown out, 1 conviction resulting in a small fine. Quintessential Desantis.
Volkonski
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Volkonski »

Gayle J. Greenlea 🇺🇦🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️
@GJGreenlea@mstdn.social
“Dunn was born in an orange grove barn in central #Florida… He & his family harvested crops at a time when the Sunshine State had some of the nation’s strictest Jim Crow segregation laws. Dunn lived that history up close; he remembers being forced to use the ‘colored’ beach & drinking fountain growing up.”

Now the professor emeritus is defying #DeSantis —whose #StopWokeAct censors #BlackHistory in schools— by taking high school students on statewide #TeachTheTruth tours. https://wapo.st/3XOY5j0
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bob

Ron DeSantis

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:15 am Can he use the findings of the federal court to then challenge in state court or ... does that not fly?
The part about why DeSantis fired the DA likely would be seen as dicta with no preclusive effect.
Image ImageImage
Volkonski
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Volkonski »

I sure hope that this turns out to be satire.

Florida teachers told to remove books from classroom libraries or risk felony prosecution

https://popular.info/p/florida-teachers ... move-books
Teachers in Manatee County, Florida, are being told to make their classroom libraries — and any other "unvetted" book — inaccessible to students, or risk felony prosecution. The new policy is part of an effort to comply with new laws and regulations championed by Governor Ron DeSantis (R). It is based on the premise, promoted by right-wing advocacy groups, that teachers and librarians are using books to "groom" students or indoctrinate them with leftist ideologies.

Kevin Chapman, the Chief of Staff for the Manatee County School District, told Popular Information that the policy was communicated to principals in a meeting last Wednesday. Individual schools are now in the process of informing teachers and other staff.

Teachers in Manatee County lamented the news on social media. "My heart is broken for Florida students today as I am forced to pack up my classroom library," one Manatee teacher wrote on Facebook.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

Ron DeSantis

Post by Dave from down under »

If true - best to believe 1984 would never be approved.

While Mein Kamph would likely be compulsory reading.
Volkonski
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Ron DeSantis

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:41 am Not satire, moar: https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/new ... 832276007/
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't think doing this on such a scale is good for DeSantis' future goals. I think that a lot of the stuff he's getting away with in Florida right now is not going to fly with any states but the reddest of the red.

And I still think there are lots of things in his closet that we don't know. I'm not a real big fan of Daily Kos, but I was reading an article on there yesterday by someone who was starting to dig into DeSantis' past. (I can't find it this afternoon.) It talked about a year that he taught at a private high school in Georgia when he was just out of Yale, about connections to Quantico, and a few other things.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Phoenix520 »

Is this it?

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2023/1/1 ... ign=recent

Sounds like he could be on the spectrum. That’s not good for the people of his state cuz he likely wouldn’t think about them much.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:18 pm Is this it?

Sounds like he could be on the spectrum. That’s not good for the people of his state cuz he likely wouldn’t think about them much.
Yep. Thanks!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:45 pm I don't think doing this on such a scale is good for DeSantis' future goals. I think that a lot of the stuff he's getting away with in Florida right now is not going to fly with any states but the reddest of the red.

And I still think there are lots of things in his closet that we don't know. I'm not a real big fan of Daily Kos, but I was reading an article on there yesterday by someone who was starting to dig into DeSantis' past. (I can't find it this afternoon.) It talked about a year that he taught at a private high school in Georgia when he was just out of Yale, about connections to Quantico Gitmo, and a few other things.
Edited for strikethrough. I don't think that's what I meant. :bag:

Oops. I hit quote instead of edit. :bag: :bag:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Ron DeSantis

Post by raison de arizona »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:18 pm Is this it?

I can't find it right now, but I recall a story regarding DeSantis acting erratic and talking to himself in a green room before appearing on a talk show during his congressional days.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”