Re: Ron DeSantis

Post by MN-Skeptic »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

TheNewSaint wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:00 am It's just natalism at this point.
:rimshot:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:40 pm
Florida is the Upsidedown
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

OMG, we've had to come to this. Quoting a Hollywood Netflix series in court opinions to justify sanity.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Judge blocks DeSantis’s ‘Stop WOKE Act,’ says Florida feels like a ‘First Amendment upside down’

BY ZACH SCHONFELD -
08/18/22 5:27 PM ET

A federal judge on Thursday blocked a Florida law restricting how workplaces and schools can discuss race during required training or instruction championed by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R).

U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida Chief Judge Mark Walker issued a preliminary injunction blocking the law, known as the “Stop WOKE Act,” saying it violates free speech protections under the First Amendment and that it violates the Fourteenth Amendment’s Due Process Clause for being impermissibly vague.

“Recently, Florida has seemed like a First Amendment upside down,” Walker wrote in the ruling, comparing the law to the fictional “upside down” in the Netflix series “Stranger Things.”

“Normally, the First Amendment bars the state from burdening speech, while private actors may burden speech freely,” the Obama-appointed judge continued. “But in Florida, the First Amendment apparently bars private actors from burdening speech, while the state may burden speech freely.”

The law prevents workplaces from requiring employees to attend any activity that violates any of eight concepts, like instilling that someone bears “personal responsibility” for historic wrongdoings because of their race, color, sex or national origin.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... side-down/
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Twenty people here, twenty people there, before long you're talking 7,060,141.

Look in Arizona for them. :rotflmao:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:34 pm Twenty people here, twenty people there, before long you're talking 7,060,141.

Not to mention all 20 are ex-felons who registered after the new law to re-enfranchise them was passed, but before DeShitstain got a law passed that said they have to pay all their fines before they get to vote...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:47 pm
Gregg wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:34 pm Twenty people here, twenty people there, before long you're talking 7,060,141.

Not to mention all 20 are ex-felons who registered after the new law to re-enfranchise them was passed, but before DeShitstain got a law passed that said they have to pay all their fines before they get to vote...
So they were eligible but for their fines? That's pretty bogus. Especially to hold up as a victory.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

The story above says this isn't true - the 20 were claimed to be ex-felons who were murderers and rapists, ineligible to be re-enfranchised unless they had their civil rights restored by the Clemency Board (this exclusion applied even before DeShitstain's law). That said, it is likely that they were unaware of the exclusion when they registered. This is often the case in voter fraud cases that get prosecuted.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... n-arrests/
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced the first arrests made by the state’s new elections police force Thursday: Twenty people previously incarcerated for murder or sexual assault who he said had illegally voted in the 2020 election.

The GOP-led Florida legislature passed a bill creating the Office of Election Crimes and Security earlier this year at DeSantis’s behest. While the 2020 election went smoothly in Florida — DeSantis called it the “gold standard” for elections — the governor has said there are still issues and conservative lawmakers have sought to further tighten voting regulations.

The governor — widely considered a potential 2024 presidential candidate — heralded the arrests, saying the unit had “sprung into action to hold individuals accountable for voter fraud.” DeSantis said they had been arrested for violating the rules of a constitutional amendment passed by Florida voters in 2018 that allows formerly incarcerated people to register to vote — except for those who committed felony sexual assault or murder.

:snippity:

But voting groups and experts said that if anything the initial arrests indicate Florida’s election system is robust and crimes rare. Some expressed concern that the new unit could have a chilling effect, particularly on vulnerable groups of voters, such as formerly incarcerated people who are legally entitled to vote.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:56 pm

So they were eligible but for their fines? That's pretty bogus. Especially to hold up as a victory.
Even moreso when it's nigh impossible to find out exactly what you owe, who you have to pay it to and if you do to get some kind of definitive answer that it is in fact all you owe.

The law was sham to just say "phuck you" to the voters who approved restoring felons who had served their sentence to the right to vote.

You might be sentenced to a year and a day, plus $1,000 fine and court costs of $100. So you pay the $1,000, pay the court costs and think you're golden, right? Maybe, maybe not. There are several fees and schedules and costs that are not obvious. They're also don't show up anywhere to prevent you from registering and voting so it's not that hard to think you've paid your debt to society and then end up a felon again.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Top Gov? :roll:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:sick:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Cringe
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:sick:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

He looks the type that would have a starring role in Topless Gun.

Hic sunt dracones
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

One day Ron Desantis is pretending to be a fighter pilot taking on the commie woke libs, the next day he is running away from a reporter trying to ask a question about abortion. Real tough guy.

The Emperor of Florida deigns to take a question from the press about whether he will push to ban abortion next year if elected, which, of course, he refuses to answer. Again. 🐓 Ron afraid of the media again.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My friend is a poll worker in FL and he's spent the day getting screamed at by people who want to know why Trump and Desantis aren't on the ballot. Lots of screaming about rigged elections of course.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:25 pm My friend is a poll worker in FL and he's spent the day getting screamed at by people who want to know why Trump and Desantis aren't on the ballot. Lots of screaming about rigged elections of course.
We're going to lose all the decent poll workers. Who wants to put up with that? My mother-in-law has worked the polls for many, many years, and I think this is going to be her last after the nonsense she had to put up with in the last election. Scary.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:25 pm My friend is a poll worker in FL and he's spent the day getting screamed at by people who want to know why Trump and Desantis aren't on the ballot. Lots of screaming about rigged elections of course.
"Da Damn Liberals changed the rulez and you have to write them in, it's just another way they rig it" :bag:

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I'm guessing Ron was running unopposed in the Primary, then? I'm NPA in Florida, so my primary ballot is only for non-partisan races and city/county/state charter issues.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:33 am
I'm guessing Ron was running unopposed in the Primary, then? I'm NPA in Florida, so my primary ballot is only for non-partisan races and city/county/state charter issues.
Yes.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:45 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:33 am
Yes.
I did not even cast my ballot --it's still n my junk drawer. I don't give a shit about this state anymore. I don't need to fight crazy.

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”