Another Shooting

Dave from down under

Re: Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

FFS!!!!
tek

Post by tek »

A 23-year-old Gary, Indiana, man charged Wednesday with murder and attempted murder in DeLaCruz's slaying told police he was handed a gun and felt like he had to shoot at the trick-or-treaters when his companions opened fire, according to court documents.
What universe are we in?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

tek wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:32 am What universe are we in?
The one where Gary Indiana exists?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

More details on this shooting death of a Trick or Treater.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

tek wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:32 am
A 23-year-old Gary, Indiana, man charged Wednesday with murder and attempted murder in DeLaCruz's slaying told police he was handed a gun and felt like he had to shoot at the trick-or-treaters when his companions opened fire, according to court documents.
What universe are we in?
"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

FFS, indeed. :mad:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:28 am
tek wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:32 am
What universe are we in?
"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

FFS, indeed. :mad:
:winner: And that is the problem with everyone walking around packing heat. Interestingly, the prosecutor in the Rittenhouse trial made a point to elicit testimony from the lead detective about how police carry different kinds of non-lethal items that can be used to get people to change their current behavior. Of course, we know many of them don't bother to use non-lethal, but the point is still made. When people arm themselves with only a lethal weapon, if they feel the least bit afraid, threatened, concerned, etc, they are going to use the gun. They will not drop the weapon and use their fists, even if that's all the other person has. They will use the damn gun. And that is why it is so concerning to me that we have all these people who are clearly living in a different reality and so many of them are packing. Also, too :mad:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bob

Post by bob »

Devin "Legal Eagle" Stone's explainer on the "Rust" shooting:

TL;DR: Stone doubts Baldwin will face criminal charges, but the assistant director or the armorer might.

Stone makes an interesting point that the gun in question was a revolver, and that revolvers are more often involved in shooting accidents. This is because, to simulate realism, multiple types of ammunition are required for revolvers, so not mixing them up becomes even more important.

Which muddies the whole "cold gun" issue. If "cold gun" is to mean an unloaded gun, it would be easy for someone (including an actor) to determine whether it is unloaded. But if "cold gun" means a not capable of firing a projectile (even though "loaded" to appear as such), such expertise is beyond the average actor.

Towards the end there's a discussion about possible civil and criminal liability for the production company and the producers. While Stone acknowledges the possibility that someone on the production side could face criminal liability (for hiring the assistant director and armorer), Stone implicitly rules out Baldwin, as he likely had no involvement in those hiring decisions.
Image ImageImage
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

I watched the video. Very good as "Legal Eagle" always is. I still don't see where Alec Baldwin has anything to worry about. There seems to be a bunch of people who say he should have checked the gun, but that sounds crazy. My understanding is you stand on your mark, don't adjust your costume, don't mess with your makeup and don't mess with the props. Checking the gun seems antithetical to that.

I thought the bit with Jensen Ackles was interesting, but Ackles sounded like an idiot. Still he was talking to entertain a crowd at a con and might be exaggerating. He got through 15 seasons of Supernatural without shooting anybody.
bob

Post by bob »

PaulG wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:53 pmThere seems to be a bunch of people who say he should have checked the gun, but that sounds crazy. My understanding is you stand on your mark, don't adjust your costume, don't mess with your makeup and don't mess with the props. Checking the gun seems antithetical to that.
I think the video (and other sources) support this position for a "loaded" gun. If the armorer has loaded the gun, the actor likely lacks the skills and knowledge necessary to accurately verify the load, and to do so without messing it up.

But if someone tells you the gun is unloaded, it is relatively easy to verify that it is, in fact, unloaded. And there's no load to mess up.

Now, with a revolver, it is easy to see if it is loaded (even if you don't know what the load is). In an ideal world, one would think all rehearsals would be with unloaded guns. But I can see where a "loaded" gun might be desirable for rehearsal (to most accurately simulate look and feel). And there's the real-world issue of time: the production might feel like it doesn't have the time (read: money) to stop between rehearsal and shooting, so the weapons are (semi-)loaded before rehearsals.

I don't think Baldwin will be facing criminal charges, as it seems undisputed he was told the gun was "cold," and there's no evidence (so far) he was goofing off with the gun. To the extent there's an inconsistency between being told the gun was cold yet its load was visible, there are reasonable explanations for that. So proof beyond a reasonable doubt of criminal liability will be hard to show.

But that's with respect only to Baldwin: the armorer and assistant director are in different situations.
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

Gaffer sues Baldwin, etc.:

I doubt this will be the last lawsuit, but I expect this one won't see a trial.

To answer the lingering question: emotional distress from being near the shot, and also watching her die.
Image ImageImage
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Call me jaded, but I understand why this is a popular news story. It has top two essential elements: a celebrity and and a dead pretty white lady. When a gay male Mexican cinematographer was shot on the set of a Billy Baldwin movie, you didn't hear about that, did you? For the first time in his life, Alec is jealous of his talentless brothers.

"Another shooting" in my neighborhood has become a regular occurrence which rarely makes the news. Heard another one today, a broad-daylight shoot-out a block from where I'm sitting. An innocent bystander was shot, naturally. She was was waiting in line in front of a theater attached to a high school in what's become a high-crime area. She didn't die, it barely made the local news.

We saw the crime wave coming, long ago, sounded alarms to no avail. The big money developers padded pockets at City Planning to put schools on top of nightclubs next to luxury gated communities stretching up to the sky. To drive out the old locals, they teamed up with some notorious local gang-bangers flushing corporate drug cash through shady nightclubs with names like Hello Danger and roach coaches that drove up from LA. Meanwhile the Defund the Police non-profiteers crunched some numbers with the police department and, lo and behold...

It all pencilled out! Bingo. And one by one, the old locals got disappeared. Gentrification makes strange bed-fellows.

Here's the dope on today's another shooting. I counted three rounds of four or five shots, 12-15 total. Unofficial word is one guy saw his car was getting robbed. He pulled out a gun and fired at the perp, and the suspect returned fire as he drove away. Sounded like the victim fired back and gave chase. Using the word victim loosely, like they call them on the police scanner. Not the chick who got shot, that's collateral damage.

Same kinda shoot-out happened a couple of weeks ago, when some thug lifers tried to rob a black ex-cop at the gas station down the road. That one had way more bullet casings, one dead rapper and a hospitalized ex-cop, which made a little more local news.

Catch the pattern? Here's what has me worried:

So if/when this Kyle piece of shit walks, does that send up the Bat-Signal to every cosplayer in town? Open-season for vigilantes, no badges or permits required? We're ground-zero for every riot, all the antifa kids from the suburbs come down and stand in line.

Well, that and he's a murderous Nazi, and has exposed a huge contingent of murderous Nazi sympathizers. We've been boogalooed, have you?

Just another shooting in my neighborhood. A beautiful day in my neighborhood. Don't ask me where I live. Be safe. Stay away.
Dave from down under

US Citizens can migrate to Australia provided they can meet requirements for one of the country's visa subclasses.
The primary pathways are as follows:
Employer-sponsored visas;
General Skilled Migration (GSM);
Distinguished Talent visas;
Student and Graduate visas;
Business visas; and.
Family visas.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:45 am US Citizens can migrate to Australia provided they can meet requirements for one of the country's visa subclasses.
The primary pathways are as follows:
Employer-sponsored visas;
General Skilled Migration (GSM);
Distinguished Talent visas;
Student and Graduate visas;
Business visas; and.
Family visas.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dave from down under

S is getting too busy and expensive
A is very nice!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

5 teens taken to hospital after shooting at Colorado park

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/15/us/color ... _term=link
Police in Aurora, Colorado, were responding Monday to a park where multiple people have been shot, police said.

Five teenagers, ranging in age from 14 to 17, have been transported to a hospital, the Aurora Police Department tweeted.

Central High School is on lockdown, police said, though the shooting did not happen inside of the school.

The suspect is at large.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:18 pm 5 teens taken to hospital after shooting at Colorado park

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/15/us/color ... _term=link
Police in Aurora, Colorado, were responding Monday to a park where multiple people have been shot, police said.

Five teenagers, ranging in age from 14 to 17, have been transported to a hospital, the Aurora Police Department tweeted.

Central High School is on lockdown, police said, though the shooting did not happen inside of the school.

The suspect is at large.
What is it with Aurora, CO? There was a shooting there in a movie theater, in 2012. Twelve people were killed.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... r-shooting
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Plus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elijah_McClain.

And the subsequent violent break-up of a peaceful vigil by cops wearing sci-fi style riot gear. Snopes says false, on the grounds that it happened by accident while the police were attempting to approach and beat up a different group of protestors who had defied an order to disperse. :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Time to stop going to parks. :?

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
@startelegram
·
42m
A 16-year-old and a 17-year-old were shot to death at a Haltom City, Texas park.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:49 pm Time to stop going to parks. :?

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
@startelegram
·
42m
A 16-year-old and a 17-year-old were shot to death at a Haltom City, Texas park.
This happened in Texas. Where were all the good guys with guns?
tek

Post by tek »

well, almost-shooting:
A Worcester woman is facing a firearm charge after police say she mistakenly fired a handgun as she dug through her purse at the Northborough Walmart Monday night.

At roughly 8:40 p.m., Northborough police respond to the superstore at 200 Otis St. for reports of a gun being accidentally fired.

A 31-year-old Worcester woman, who was with her toddler, told the officers she had fired her 9mm handgun while rummaging through her purse at the cashier, the Northborough Police Department said.
https://www.masslive.com/worcester/2021 ... e-say.html
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Will mom realize that instead of an embarrassing firearms charge, alternative outcomes include an orphaned child or a bereaved parent?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:22 am Will mom realize that instead of an embarrassing firearms charge, alternative outcomes include an orphaned child or a bereaved parent?
I doubt it. She will just be angry about the inconvenience of having to stay there while the event was investigated.

I shake my head at people who actually believe that going to Walmart, Lowe's, or McDonald's is fraught with so much danger that they have to bring their guns and...their....kids? It doesn't even make sense that you think the big bad outdoors is so dangerous you have to bring your gun, but probably didn't think twice about also bringing the kid. These people are brainwashed by rwnj media to the point where they don't even see the incongruity of their actions, they are just completely on auto pilot. I guess rwnj media forgot to tell them that oh yeah, in addition to bringing your gun, you probably should leave the kid at home because, yannow, danger and all. Of course, we know why they dont' tell them to leave the kids at home. Because there is no real danger. These people have guns but their brains are atrophied at this point.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Really? She just dumped her gun in her purse? HTF is that gonna help when she’s confronted by one of them BLMs or when someone insists she wear a mask?

“Hold on, just a sec…I know it’s somewhere in here.”

rummage rummage BANG
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Sounds like a semi-auto, not a revolver. Which means... She had it in her purse not only loaded but with a round CHAMBERED. :brickwallsmall:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

IIRC, there was a mom in Idaho who went to Wal-Mart with her gun in her purse and the toddler got a hold of it and killed her.

Oh, here's the story: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... er-walmart

Glad she had that gun to protect her :sarcasm:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”