Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Another Shooting

neeneko

Re: Another Shooting

Post by neeneko »

Another possibility is that if the bullet was fired right into something that shatters easily like tile, it might have sprayed bits of floor everywhere and that is what actually hit people.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Oops. :blackeye:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Seeing many reports on the bird site of an active shooter at an IRS building in Memphis, nothing on big media yet though.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

At a uvalde memorial
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:o

I can’t even.

Who.would.do.that.
somerset

Post by somerset »

Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:03 pm At a uvalde memorial
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/20 ... 234856007/
Uvalde police officials said Thursday night that two people were shot and wounded in a park and were being treated in San Antonio — renewing fears of gun violence in a city still reeling from the May 24 Robb Elementary shooting that left 19 children and two teachers dead.

Police said the shooting victims were juveniles; Texas Department of Public Safety officials said that the shooting is suspected to be gang related.

Gov. Greg Abbott said Thursday evening he was dispatching six additional state trooper units to Uvalde to coordinate anti-gang efforts with city authorities. Additionally, the Texas Department of Public Safety is deploying special agents to target the five gangs operating in Uvalde.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

This is just awful.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

That poor community, they've been through enough and then some :brokenheart:

Maybe I should post this in the Abbott thread, but didn't he governor promise to focus on mental health treatments and harden up the schools to stop these senseless shootings? Has he done that yet, or did all those resources go to bussing migrants up north?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I'm sure it's in committee. These things take time. All stakeholders must given an opportunity to offer their input towards an equitable solution. etc etc etc
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kendra wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:00 am That poor community, they've been through enough and then some :brokenheart:

Maybe I should post this in the Abbott thread, but didn't he governor promise to focus on mental health treatments and harden up the schools to stop these senseless shootings? Has he done that yet, or did all those resources go to bussing migrants up north?
It didn't happen at the school.
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:03 am
Kendra wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:00 am That poor community, they've been through enough and then some :brokenheart:

It didn't happen at the school.
It was in a park I understand, so I'm unclear if that means there were too many or not enough doors, under Abbott's plan.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RdA: It was in a park I understand, so I'm unclear if that means there were too many or not enough doors, under Abbott's plan.
:winner:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:24 am I'm sure it's in committee. These things take time. All stakeholders must given an opportunity to offer their input towards an equitable solution. etc etc etc
It's "too soon" to talk about gun regulations. Give the community time to grief (get gunned down during)
TOO SOON. - repeat refrain for ever and ever
raison de arizona

If you’ve ever wondered what it is like to be at the scene of an active shooter, then this is the thread for you. It’s intense, and bring a tissue box.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:33 am If you’ve ever wondered what it is like to be at the scene of an active shooter, then this is the thread for you. It’s intense, and bring a tissue box.
I was just about to post this, and had just finished copying the tweets into a text file.
Angie Maxwell
@AngieMaxwell1

Two weeks ago, I had four precious 12-year-old girls, including my daughter, with me at the county fair. They were getting blue Icees and corndogs for the walk to the car and ride home. (1/21)

They were debating names for the goldfish they won at a carnival game. After a hard 2 years, it was a last breath of summer, full of lights and laughter. (2/21)

As we headed toward the front gate, 14 shots rang out right next to us followed by complete pandemonium. We knew instantly what it was. I grabbed them all and we ran as fast as we could to the back fence that encircles the fairgrounds. (3/21)

I took the girls behind a long row of RVs so they wouldn’t get trampled. I told them to get behind me in a single file line, and I promised I would get them out a back exit I had noticed a few years ago. (4/21)

Grown men were running holding strollers over their heads. Young kids separated from parents were vomiting; older kids were trying to scale the razor-wire fence to get to the interstate. Others were stuck on rides and screaming for help. (5/21)

We ran and ran and ran, until we were past the panicked stampede, past the speeding, fleeing cars, past the sounds of sirens and trucks backfiring, and into the darkness. (6/21)

The night grew quiet except for their terrified sobs, and then, finally, we came upon a little church. I called my husband and dropped a pin so he could find us. (7/21)

With trembling hands, I called my daughter’s friends’ parents. I checked on a lone, crying teenager sitting on the ground across the parking lot who was trying to reach her mom to come get her. (8/21)

And as the news of the active shooter hit the airwaves, our phones blew up with texts. The girls began hyperventilating as they anxiously awaited news of other friends. The only thing coming faster than their breaths were their gut-wrenching questions and concerns. (9/21)

They realized they’d dropped their Icees, their corndogs, and the goldfish. They were worried about me leaving my Jeep. They were worried about how worried their moms would be. Would they ever go to a fair again? What if they hadn’t been with me? The minutes crawled by. (10/21)

When my husband arrived, we piled in the car, and they clung to each other as we sped away. Their families were waiting in my driveway, and I watched each girl collapse in their parent’s arms. (11/21)

I walked into my house and then straight out the backdoor and threw up off my deck. I got a glass of water from the kitchen and and then went back to the front yard to talk to the parents and hug the girls. (12/21)

When the last one drove away, I sat down right in the middle of the driveway and lost it. I know it could have been so much worse, yet it still felt so terrible. (13/21)

Then I got up & went inside to check on my own daughter & to tell her how proud I was of her. We turned on the stove to make her some mac & cheese. We snuggled our dogs on the couch until the wee hours of the morning. We tried not to look at the news or snapchat rumors.(14/21)

Even though I’ve cared about this issue, worried about this issue, and fought for common sense gun reforms and safe schools, all I could think of that night and now is how gravely I have underestimated the trauma of the running. (15/21)

And then I thought about the families in this country who live this trauma day in & day out. I thought about what our kids must feel like as they run through active shooter drills at school. I knew all of this intellectually, but good lord, I was/am so naive emotionally. 16/21)

Days later, we learned it was likely a targeted shooting.
14 shots but the victim survived.
Both the shooter and victim were juveniles.

Barely enough bloodshed to make the news.

So the world moves on in ten minutes, but two weeks in and it’s still frozen to me. (17/21)

I’m glad we had all charged our phones & shared our locations for the evening. I’m grateful we were together. I’m grateful for these exceptionally brave girls who, when faced with the nightmare scenario they’ve dreaded their whole young lives, did everything I asked. (18/21)

And even though I can’t shake it, I’m grateful it was me. I’m grateful I was there and not waiting for a phone call. (19/21)

I can manage the fear. It’s the consciousness raising to which I will have to adjust…the realization of the heavy load these kids are carrying as they walk the earth each day…the image of their faces when the shooting started, as an abstract terror became instantly real.(20/21)

So all of this to say:

There is trauma in the running.

And we have to do more. (21/21)
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I sat in my car this afternoon and wept as I read that tweet. Thanks chancery for the formatted version.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Angie Maxwell is a professor in Arkansas. We progressives are very proud of her.

https://www.masonjarpolitics.com
Angie Maxwell is the Director of the Diane Blair Center of Southern Politics and Society, an associate professor of political science, and holder of the Diane Blair Endowed Professorship in Southern Studies at the University of Arkansas. Maxwell is a Truman Scholar and received her Ph.D. in American Studies from the University of Texas. Her research and commentary have been featured in Henry Louis Gates’ Reconstruction on PBS and on MSNBC’s “The Reid Report” and “The Cycle.” Maxwell is the author of The Indicted South: Public Criticism, Southern Inferiority, and the Politics of Whiteness (UNC, 2014) which won the V. O. Key Award for best book in southern politics and the C. Hugh Holman Honorable Mention for best book in southern literary criticism. She is the co-editor of Unlocking V. O. Key, Jr. (Arkansas, 2011), The Ongoing Burden of Southern History (LSU, 2013), and The Legacy of Second Wave Feminism in American Politics (Palgrave, 2018), and editor of the new edition of Ralph McGill’s A Church, A School (South Carolina, 2012). Her recent articles have appeared in Southern Cultures, Presidential Studies Quarterly, the Journal of Black Studies, American Behavioral Scientist, Race and Social Problems, Politics, Groups, and Identities, Social Science Quarterly, Virginia Quarterly Review, Vox, and Huffington Post. Her new book, The Long Southern Strategy: How Chasing White Voters in the South Changed American Politics will be published in July by Oxford University Press.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Downtown Orlando.
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

Pregnant woman shot to death day before baby shower

A killer is on the run, responsible for a drive-by shooting that killed a Texas woman who was eight months pregnant.

Jennifer Hernandez, 20, was shot in a drive-by shooting Friday evening in Houston. She was eight months pregnant with a little boy and a baby shower planned for the very next day. Both she and her unborn child died.

“Still having a hard time processing it ‘cause like I said, I wish there was more I could do. But there wasn’t,” said a witness named Rick.
:snippity:
https://www.azfamily.com/2022/09/21/pre ... by-shower/
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Toddler fatally shoots South Carolina mom with 'unsecured firearm,' sheriff says

"Although our investigation remains active, all indications are this incident was a result of the young child gaining access to an unsecured firearm, which resulted in the mother being accidentally shot and later passing away at the hospital," a sheriff's statement said.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.kark.com/news/local-news/sh ... t-vincent/
SHERWOOD, Ark. – One person is dead and one person has been taken into custody in connection with an active shooter event at CHI St. Vincent North hospital in Sherwood.

During a news conference shortly after 12:30 p.m., Sherwood Police Department Chief Jeff Haga reported that one person at the hospital had died of gunshot wounds, and one “person of interest” had been taken into custody.

A spokesperson for the SPD said the call for police came at about 10 a.m., and officers were on the scene shortly thereafter. They immediately established a perimeter and entered the building, clearing the hospital.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

These are the assholes Abbott and DeSantis are empowering with their actions and rhetoric.
Two Migrants Shot Along Roadway in Rural Texas
A local jail warden in Hudspeth County is one of two men arrested in connection with the attack south of El Paso, a law enforcement official said.

Two unauthorized migrants were shot, one of them fatally, by two men in a pickup truck that approached them as they walked along a roadway in West Texas, according to court documents filed on Thursday.

After the shooting, which took place on Tuesday evening, the truck was found parked at a home not far from the local sheriff’s office in Hudspeth County, a rural area east of El Paso that runs from the border with Mexico to the state line of New Mexico.

Two men were arrested late Wednesday in connection with the shooting, law enforcement officials said: Michael Sheppard, a warden at a local jail, and his twin brother, Mark Sheppard.

Both men were charged with manslaughter, according to legal documents in the case. Neither could be immediately reached for comment.

The migrants were walking in a group of four people along a roadway near Sierra Blanca when they stopped at a water tank, according to the documents. While they were there, the pickup truck approached and then stopped. The migrants told investigators that they tried to hide behind the tank.

The two men who emerged from the truck approached them and fired at least two times, the migrants said. One shot hit one of the migrants in the head, killing him; another shot hit a female migrant in the stomach.
She was taken to a hospital where she was recovering, according to a statement from the Texas Department of Public Safety, which is investigating the case.
:snippity:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/29/us/t ... -shot.html
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

I’m surprised that they were even charged with manslaughter..

Being Texas I’m just waiting for the Governor to fete the killers.
Tiredretiredlawyer

My PCP's offices were at one time in the Sherwood hospital where the shooting took place. It was a safe place until now. :mad:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”