Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Another Shooting

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:20 am
neonzx wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:44 pm I did not phrase as absolute fact. And accepting I responded on "impulse" should speak to that? Officer?
Actually, you did.
https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 78#p160436
I concede. Now please end the beating, mom. :lovestruck:
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-19/ ... /101789986

Five people shot dead and gunman killed by police at condo in Toronto, Canada

:snippity:

Mass shootings are rare in Canada and Toronto has long prided itself as being one of the safest big cities in the world.

Canadians are nervous about anything that might indicate they are moving closer to US experiences with gun violence.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-20/ ... /101790992

Canadian police have identified the man who shot and killed five people and wounded another at a suburban Toronto condominium as a 73-year-old resident of the building.

Key points:
Police are investigating the motive behind the fatal shooting
In the days leading up to the attack, the shooter posted rambling videos about a legal dispute he had with the board of the building where he and his victims lived

Toronto considers itself one of the safest major cities in the world, with shootings a rare occurrence
Chief James MacSween of the York Regional Police identified the suspect in Sunday night's attack in Vaughan, Ontario, as Francesco Velli.

He said the attacker fatally shot three men and two females and wounded a 66-year-old, who has been hospitalised.

"Three victims were members of the condominium board," he said.
sugar magnolia

Another Shooting

Post by sugar magnolia »

Their use of "three men and two females" is very jarring to me.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:41 pm Their use of "three men and two females" is very jarring to me.
It shouldn't be mixed descriptors...

"three males and two females"

"two women and three men"

but IMO these don't read well either..
Azastan
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Azastan »

Dave from down under wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:57 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:41 pm Their use of "three men and two females" is very jarring to me.
It shouldn't be mixed descriptors...

"three males and two females"

"two women and three men"

but IMO these don't read well either..
I was wondering if the nuance meant that of the two females killed, perhaps one was an adult (woman) and the other was a child (girl) so that both were female, but all the males killed were adults, so 'men'?

But I also found that wording to be unusual.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Bad journalism, for sure. "three men and two women" would be proper.
Or perhaps "five people, including three men and two women"
humblescribe
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by humblescribe »

Or, "five people of which three had the Y chromosome on pair #23"?
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Azastan
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Azastan »

A bit more info on the person who shot and killed five people, and shot and injured one other person, in Toronto:

https://www.thewhig.com/news/canada/fra ... s-shooting
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

5 arrested in deadly shooting at Minnesota's Mall of America

Sun, December 25, 2022 at 1:50 AM GMT+1

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. (AP) — Five people were arrested in the fatal shooting of a 19-year-old man at the Mall of America that sent the sprawling commercial center into lockdown on one of the final days of the holiday shopping season, police said Saturday.

At an evening news conference, Bloomington Police Chief Booker Hodges announced the arrests in connection with the Friday night shooting in the Minneapolis suburb of Bloomington and said all would face murder charges, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

Hodges said the arrested suspects were two men, 18, and three 17-year-old male juveniles, according to the Star Tribune, and they were taken into custody in the morning at a home in nearby St. Louis Park by SWAT team officers from three jurisdictions.

The chief added that one of the 18-year-olds is believed to be the shooter, though another suspect may also have fired a weapon. A sixth suspect was still being sought.

“In Bloomington, if you come here and murder people at our mall, you get one of these at at Christmas,” the newspaper quoted Hodges as saying while holding up an orange prison suit.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz tweeted Saturday that the mall shooting was “absolutely unacceptable. We are in touch with local officials to provide the support and resources they need.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/5-arrested-d ... 28042.html
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Houston mechanic killed over $500 repairs days before Christmas, family pleading for justice

By Gabby Hart
Published December 25, 2022 6:12PM

HOUSTON - As many are finishing up their Christmas celebrations one Houston family spent their Christmas pleading for justice after a local mechanic was shot and killed.

It's been a heartbreaking holiday for the family of 29-year-old Luis Manuel, a mechanic, husband, and father of two young girls.

The family tells FOX 26 that Manuel showed up at his auto shop in the 7600 block of N Fwy Friday afternoon.

He was planning to collect money from his alleged killer for fixing his truck, but when the unidentified man came to pick up his vehicle, he had five other Hispanic men along with him and refused to pay Manuel the $500 he owed.

We're told when the men became aggressive Manuel told them to just take the truck before taking off.

The family says Manuel's killers chased him down and shot him in the head. He died at the hospital.

Manuel's sister, Sandy Casillas, says he planned to pick that money up and go buy Christmas presents for his girls.

"They didn't just take $500.00 they took a life, they took our life, they took a father," she said.

https://www.fox6now.com/news/luis-manue ... or-justice
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

Police: Woman tracks down stolen car, kills 2 men at gas station

A St. Louis County woman is charged with two counts of first-degree murder after she tracked down her stolen car and allegedly killed two men outside a gas station, police said.

Demesha Coleman, 35, of Spanish Lake, was charged Thursday in the deaths of Darius Jackson, 19, and Joseph Farrar, 49. Another man was shot in the head during the shootout but survived.

It was not immediately clear which, if any, of the three men were suspected of stealing Coleman’s car, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Surveillance video showed Coleman walking up to a Hyundai Tucson at the gas station with a man who was also carrying a weapon, according to a police detective. Police have not released the man’s name.

The video shows Coleman opening the car door with her gun raised, while the man opens another door, also with his gun raised.

Coleman opened fire and sparked the shootout, police said.

She told detectives during a recorded interview that she went to the gas station to take her stolen car back, police said.

Coleman, who has no prior criminal history, is charged with two counts of murder, one count of assault and three counts of armed criminal action. Online court records do not name an attorney for Coleman.
https://www.azfamily.com/2022/12/24/pol ... s-station/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

2A = judge, jury & executioner.

Justice be damned. :(
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Man opens fire after waiting wife honks horn at him, Colorado sheriff say

Don Sweeney
Sun, January 1, 2023 at 4:57 PM GMT+1

A 55-year-old man faces charges that he shot his wife in the leg after she honked a horn at him, Colorado officials reported.

The Pueblo man had gone with his wife to a private home to discuss buying a vehicle Friday, Dec. 30, the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.

After the man had been inside a trailer on the property for 30 minutes, his wife began honking the horn for him to come out, sheriff’s officials said.

The man emerged with a pistol and fired three shots, the release said. One hit the 56-year-old woman in the leg inside their truck.

She was treated and released at a hospital, sheriff’s officials said. The man denied firing a pistol, but deputies found two handguns and shell casings.

He was arrested on charges of illegal discharge of a firearm, second-degree assault and felony menacing. A 45-year-old woman in the trailer also was arrested for ”five unrelated outstanding warrants.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-opens-fi ... 08711.html
(original: The Scramentoo Bee)
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-04/ ... /101825740

Frank James pleads guilty to committing a terrorist attack after April 2022 shooting on New York City subway

A man who opened fire on a New York City subway train last year, shooting 10 passengers in a rush-hour attack, has pleaded guilty to federal terrorism charges.

Key points:
Frank James was charged with 10 counts of committing a terrorist attack against a mass transit system
He has admitted to pulling the trigger on a Manhattan-bound train in April last year
Prosecutors say he "intended to inflict maximum damage at the height of rush hour"

Frank James, who has referred to himself online as the "Prophet of Doom," admitted in court to pulling the trigger on a Manhattan-bound train in Brooklyn as it moved between stations on April 12, 2022.

According to prosecutors, James set off a pair of smoke grenades and fired a barrage of random shots inside the train, bloodying passengers as it moved between stations in Brooklyn's Sunset Park neighbourhood.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

From the above..

"Officers also found the handgun they said was used in the shooting while tracing records show James purchased the gun from a licensed gun dealer in Ohio in 2011."

why domestic terrorists don't want effective gun registries and gun control laws.
humblescribe
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by humblescribe »

As not to be outdone by a 3-year old,

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/06/us/newpo ... index.html

How does this happen? How do the people who are so into guns think that this is OK? I don't know Virginia law, but I would hope that the parents are charged with multiple crimes.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:31 pm As not to be outdone by a 3-year old,

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/06/us/newpo ... index.html

How does this happen? How do the people who are so into guns think that this is OK? I don't know Virginia law, but I would hope that the parents are charged with multiple crimes.
That is a crazy story. I noticed that they refer to the 6yo as a "young man."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Another Shooting

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:43 pm :snippity:
That is a crazy story. I noticed that they refer to the 6yo as a "young man."
Teachers better think twice about giving homework over the weekends from now on...

Yeah, I know the way out... :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Surely this shooting is sooooo horrific that they will prosecute the kid as an adult :twisted:

Do I also too need to find my way out?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

Let me guess. This "young man" is white.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neeneko

Another Shooting

Post by neeneko »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:31 pm How does this happen? How do the people who are so into guns think that this is OK? I don't know Virginia law, but I would hope that the parents are charged with multiple crimes.
Well, from their perspective, the only viable solution is to arm more people so they can stop children with guns. An armed teacher, or other armed 6 year olds, could have shot him before he shot anyone, or at least delivered immediate justice!
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Virginia teacher who was shot by six-year-old tried to confiscate gun – report
Abby Zwerner, 25, had life-threatening injuries but is now continuing to improve in hospital

Erum Salam
Mon 9 Jan 2023 16.51 GMT

The Virginia school teacher shot by her six-year-old student was injured after she sought to confiscate the weapon from the child who had revealed the gun in class, a parent of another child in the class has said.

Brittaney Gregory, whose son is in the same class as the shooter at Richneck elementary school in Newport News, Virginia, detailed her son’s reaction to the shocking scene to the Washington Post newspaper. Gregory said her son told her he that he felt like he couldn’t breathe when the gun was fired.

Gregory said the class was reading and about to go to art class when the child pulled a handgun from their backpack and pointed it at his teacher, Abby Zwerner. “She was going to confiscate it, and that’s when he shot,” Gregory told the Post.

Gregory described Zwerner as a “sweet lady” and “very attentive”. She said Zwerner was her son’s favorite teacher.

Zwerner, 25, had injuries described as life-threatening but she is now continuing to improve in the hospital. She was shot in the abdomen through her hand.

After she was shot, the teacher told the other students to run. The students stayed in lockdown in another teacher’s classroom.

It is not known how the child came to be in possession of the handgun he used to shoot his teacher.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... by-zwerner
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

6-year-old who allegedly shot Va. teacher used gun legally purchased by mom, police say
Police revealed new details of the shooting at a news conference, including that the teacher helped her students get to safety before seeking help for herself.

By Justin Jouvenal
January 9, 2023 at 1:20 p.m. EST

BREAKING NEWS: The 6-year-old boy who authorities say shot a teacher at Virginia elementary school Friday took the gun from his home and brought it to school before he fired one round, Newport News Police Chief Steve R. Drew said at a news conference Monday.

The gun was purchased legally by the boy’s mother, Drew said.

The teacher, 25-year-old Abigail Zwerner, ushered the students in her first-grade classroom to safety after the shooting, and Drew credited her with “saving lives.”

The boy who fired the shot is now receiving court-ordered mental health treatment at an undisclosed facility, Drew said. The boy has not been charged with a crime.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... l-zwerner/
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

Now, they are making it sound like an accident?

I hope the kid gets help.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”