Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Another Shooting

busterbunker

Another Shooting

Post by busterbunker »

Suranis wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:01 pm Sigh. Ok. Look, I hate to be THE GUY that points out the obvious here, but...
Whoa that's some crazy shit, dude. You okay?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Suranis wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:01 pm Sigh. Ok. Look, I hate to be THE GUY that points out the obvious here, but...
You're missing the true picture because you're only focusing on the location and not the victim. Gay clubs aren't the only place gays are killed. They can be killed just about anywhere, and they are killed in high numbers - frequently *solely* because someone objects to their being gay, often triggered by something as simple as showing a bit of affection to their date or partner.

I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I expect that every weekend, at least as many gays are killed for being gay as we're killed in this week's shooting, and at least as many are beaten and injured as we're injured in that event. You just don't hear about them because they're not mass shootings, and this one was. But just because they're not reported it doesn't mean they aren't happening.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Phoenix520 »

Of course it’s easier, but in Uvalde that was their job and they didn’t even try.
neeneko

Another Shooting

Post by neeneko »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:26 pm You just don't hear about them because they're not mass shootings, and this one was. But just because they're not reported it doesn't mean they aren't happening.
Welll, that is the general pattern of mass shootings. They are rare, they are dramatic, they are news... thus they get the bulk of the attention. Other more common types of violence much less so.. thus we hyper focus on how to solve the zebra while ignoring all the horses.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Slim Cognito »

Just starting the obvious but gays aren't the only people who frequent gay bars. We have (at least) one in my Ft Myers burb and my friends and I love hanging there. Great entertainment, friendly people and always a good time. And I'm hooked on the Bingo.

Also, fuck those assholes who don't like it. I'll take a gay bar over a honky tonk any day of the wee k.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

Michelle Wolf @MichelleWolfTV wrote: #BREAKING Chesapeake police confirm they responded to the Sam’s Circle Walmart for an active shooter. Multiple people have died and multiple people are injured.

#UPDATE A Chesapeake police spokesperson tells us at this point he believes no more than 10 people have died. It’s unclear if the shooter was an employee. The shooter is now deceased. Officers are walking through the Walmart super center checking for victims. @WAVY_News
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm on my way to bed, but just read there has been another shooting in a Walmart in Chesapeake, Virginia. Multiple fatalities. The link doesn't work.

Edited to add different link.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/b ... d-28561188
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

Totally unconfirmed, up to you. Echoes another report I saw though.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Another Shooting

Post by sugar magnolia »

Suranis wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:36 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:57 am Image
In fairness, its a lot easier to jump on someone in the middle of a crowded club with people all around him, than to charge into a room through the only entrance with the gunman covering the door with an assault weapon.
At least 2 doors and a wall of windows.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

I thought at first this morning I'd picked up something unverified, but here it is from The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... e-virginia
Six people were killed and four wounded in a shooting at a Walmart in Virginia late on Tuesday night, police said, in the second high-profile mass killing in the US in a handful of days. The assailant was also dead. Police said the suspect was a store employee.

The chief of Chesapeake police, Mark Solesky, told reporters on Wednesday the gunman killed himself. There was no clear motive for the shooting, Solesky said. The gunman’s home was searched but Solesky did not give his name because his family had not been notified.

Solesky said the shooter used a pistol. He could not confirm if the victims were all employees.

A witness, however, told ABC News the gunman was a manager who opened fire on fellow employees gathered in the break room.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

On MSNBC, they just interrupted the news of the shooting in Virginia with news of a shooting :crying: in Philadelphia.
sugar magnolia

Another Shooting

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:13 pm On MSNBC, they just interrupted the news of the shooting in Virginia with news of a shooting :crying: in Philadelphia.
There was a shooting in Oklahoma Sunday evening with 4 dead, one wounded that I haven't even seen mentioned on the national news.
PaulG

Another Shooting

Post by PaulG »

I read this morning there have been 31 mass shootings in November alone. I went to Gun Violence Archive to check and it was, by count, 32. Words are inadequate. :crying:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

WTH, do they have him medicated?

Phoenix520
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Phoenix520 »

I hope they have him on suicide watch. He looks dead already inside.
ETA Be prepared if this goes viral -it might get ugly

They are non-binary. They changed their name because they were bullied online. Their father is an adult film star named Dick Delaware. There’s a page somewhere on the the internets dedicated to hating on them.

This is going to take a lot of sorting and I already hate how bad it will get.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Another Shooting

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:43 pm WTH, do they have him medicated?

From the reports, they (thanks Phoenix520 for the update on identity) were beaten severely while being subdued. I would not be surprised to find out they are on pretty hefty painkillers.
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:34 pm
neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:43 pm WTH, do they have him medicated?

From the reports, they (thanks Phoenix520 for the update on identity) were beaten severely while being subdued. I would not be surprised to find out they are on pretty hefty painkillers.
Q: Can someone address the court while drugged up?

Can a drunk person sign a legally binding contract?

Just curious how his statement(s) can be accepted by the court.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

I imagine he expected to die.
pipistrelle

Another Shooting

Post by pipistrelle »

Wikipedia:
He is the father of Anderson Lee Aldrich, the accused perpetrator of the Club Q shooting on November 19, 2022.[4] In an interview after the shooting, Brink said that when he learned the shooting was at a gay bar, he was initially horrified by the possibility that Anderson might be gay, then relieved to find out that wasn’t the case. [5]
Dr. Ken

Another Shooting

Post by Dr. Ken »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:57 pm Wikipedia:
He is the father of Anderson Lee Aldrich, the accused perpetrator of the Club Q shooting on November 19, 2022.[4] In an interview after the shooting, Brink said that when he learned the shooting was at a gay bar, he was initially horrified by the possibility that Anderson might be gay, then relieved to find out that wasn’t the case. [5]
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Phoenix520
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Phoenix520 »

Ugly. I need a shower. I need to pretend this person doesn’t really exist in our world . Fuck.
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

I think daddy needs another shot.

ETA: Did I hear him say he was "Mormon" -- that drunk ass? :rotflmao: '

Yeah, maybe we need an government application for those who want to procreate.
Kendra

Another Shooting

Post by Kendra »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:12 pm Ugly. I need a shower. I need to pretend this person doesn’t really exist in our world . Fuck.
This.
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

I also think I read somewhere that he was a Mormon.

Edited to add: I tried to watch one of the videos, but I didn't last more than about a minute. :cantlook:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”