Another Shooting

neeneko

Re: Another Shooting

Post by neeneko »

Not tonight.. not tonight. So if the shootings become a daily occurrence, then you never have to discuss it.

TBH, normally I would actually agree.. when a big event happens, examining later after heads have cooled and facts gathered is exactly how you shoudl handle changes.. but at this point, events on this scale are no longer big events.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Accused Buffalo supermarket gunman indicted on terrorism charge, facing 25 counts including murder and hate crimes

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-02/ ... /101121428

A white man accused of killing 10 black people in a racist attack on a supermarket in the state of New York has been indicted by a grand jury.

Key points:
Payton Gendron was charged with 25 counts including first-degree murder and hate crimes
He is likely to face a life sentence if found guilty
The attack was allegedly planned months in advance
The indictment was on a state domestic terrorism and a hate crime charge that would carry a mandatory sentence of life in prison.

Gunman Payton Gendron is scheduled to be arraigned on Thursday on the new, 25-count indictment, which builds on a previous murder charge hastily prepared in the hours after the May 14 shooting.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:04 pm Sounds like they'll want to arm the nurses next, as well as only one locked entrance per hospital?
Legacy Health in Portland closed all of its entrances at all eight of its campuses at the beginning of Covid requesting everyone enter through the ED including their staff.

Emanual and Salmon Creek recently added metal detectors and a scanner similar to airports that everyone must pass through.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Preston J. Phillips, MD is one of the few Black doctors in Tulsa, a city that orchestrated a massacre against Black residents of Greenwood and the destruction of Tulsa’s only Black hospital in 1921.

According to City Councilor Jayme Fowler, who represents the district in which Saint Francis resides, the shooter entered the hospital and allegedly told multiple people to clear the area and that he was looking for a Dr. Philips.

“The shooter could not find this physician, and that elicited you know, his behavior at the shootings,” Fowler told CNN.
https://theblackwallsttimes.com/2022/06 ... -building/
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm going back to bed. Wake me.....awwww fuck it.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Tulsa officials now giving updates. Big points being made about the police and first responders came in within minutes and without hesitation, unlike...well it went unsaid, but I get the feeling there were digs at Uvalde police. Any word heard about the age of the shooter yet?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The shooter was also black, mid 30s IIRC.
The doctor had operated on his wife recently and she died.

Not like the others, except for guns. This was personal.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks Kate.
Edit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... al-center/
The gunman who killed four people at a Tulsa hospital on Wednesday blamed a doctor at the facility for ongoing pain after back surgery and vowed to kill him and anyone who got in his way, police said Thursday.

Tulsa Police Chief Wendell Franklin told reporters that Michael Louis bought an AR-15-style weapon on the same day as the attack, killing St. Francis Hospital doctors Preston Phillips and Stephanie Husen. Two other victims were identified as William Love and Amanda Green.

On May 19, Louis went into hospital for back surgery, and Phillips was the operating physician, Franklin said. After Louis was released from the hospital on May 24, he “called several times over several days complaining of pain and wanted additional treatment,” according to police.

Louis saw Phillips again on Tuesday, but called the doctor’s office again on Wednesday, “again complaining of back pain and wanting additional assistance,” Franklin said. Then, at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Louis purchased a semiautomatic rifle from a local gun store, police said.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Only two died. We don't get out of bed for less than four. :cry:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Funeral shooting.
Steve Chamraz @TMJ4Steve wrote: :: BREAKING NOW @tmj4: Five people shot at Graceland Cemetery in Racine during funeral for Da’Shontay King, man shot by Racine Police on May 20.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

3 dead including shooter at a church in Iowa.
raison de arizona

Tribal LEO shot and killed at traffic stop. Suspect took officer’s vehicle, eventually another officer was shot and wounded and the suspect killed.
https://www.abc15.com/news/state/white- ... th-suspect
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:54 am Tribal LEO shot and killed at traffic stop. Suspect took officer’s vehicle, eventually another officer was shot and wounded and the suspect killed.
Traffic stops = danger
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:02 am Traffic stops = danger
Traffic stops seem to be dangerous for pretty much everyone. I can't help but think that if someone removed the financial incentive to stop so many vehicles (they are a major source of funding now), that would significantly reduce the number of them happening which would probably reduce the number of fatalities associated with them.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Covid, domestic disputes and traffic-related deaths (directing traffic at accident scenes, accidents during pursuits, etc, not traffic stops per se) are all more dangerous statistically than traffic stops. Excluding Covid, death by firearms is the #1 killer of cops.

Traffic ticket fines usually go into the general fund, not the police budget, so there isn't a real incentive for the cops to write tickets to bolster their budget. That's not to say that cops don't write tickets to bolster their own income because of the overtime paid to be at court.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

These days, traffic stops should only be done with two cops on scene.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:37 am Covid, domestic disputes and traffic-related deaths (directing traffic at accident scenes, accidents during pursuits, etc, not traffic stops per se) are all more dangerous statistically than traffic stops. Excluding Covid, death by firearms is the #1 killer of cops.
True, but we could still reduce the number of potential incidents by reducing this one class of stop.
Traffic ticket fines usually go into the general fund, not the police budget, so there isn't a real incentive for the cops to write tickets to bolster their budget. That's not to say that cops don't write tickets to bolster their own income because of the overtime paid to be at court.
I wonder how that breaks down regionally. In my area, there have been recurring problems with police departments setting official (and later unofficial since they got in trouble) quotas for how many traffic tickets they have to write because so much depended on that revenue stream.
wavey davey

Post by wavey davey »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:37 am Covid, domestic disputes and traffic-related deaths (directing traffic at accident scenes, accidents during pursuits, etc, not traffic stops per se) are all more dangerous statistically than traffic stops. Excluding Covid, death by firearms is the #1 killer of cops.

That is good to know, and makes perfect sense.

There is an exception to the lack of incentive for writing tickets to bolster the budget. Some police create traffic stops as a pretext for civil asset forfeiture. If you have large amounts of cash, they can seize it without charging you with a crime, or even having probable cause or reasonable articulable suspicion of criminal activity. And they get to just keep it. You can try to get it back, but you have to go through an expensive process of proving your money is innocent, rather than them proving it is guilty.
Image Image ImageImage
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neeneko wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:38 pm
True, but we could still reduce the number of potential incidents by reducing this one class of stop.
I wonder how that breaks down regionally. In my area, there have been recurring problems with police departments setting official (and later unofficial since they got in trouble) quotas for how many traffic tickets they have to write because so much depended on that revenue stream.
In my experience, the quotas are more for proof that the officers are actually working than for any appreciable amount of income to the city. As a DUI unit I wrote a shit ton of tickets (average 3-5 per arrest) plus the ones I wrote when stopping someone suspected of DUI who wasn't. A certain percentage of the fine (the ones that get paid, anyway) goes to administrative costs, the rest gets dumped into the general fund. At the end of the shift here, each officer reports the total number of tickets, misdemeanor arrests and felony arrests made. A traffic obsessed officer might write 4 or 5 tickets but most beat officers write 0 or 1. Because of the dire officer shortage they don't generally have the time to do anything but chase the radio unless it's an egregious traffic violation right in front of them. It was easy to identify the "active" officers by ticket stats at one time, not so much any more. It's not the revenue stream, it's the COMSTAT numbers.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

wavey davey wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:05 pm

That is good to know, and makes perfect sense.

There is an exception to the lack of incentive for writing tickets to bolster the budget. Some police create traffic stops as a pretext for civil asset forfeiture. If you have large amounts of cash, they can seize it without charging you with a crime, or even having probable cause or reasonable articulable suspicion of criminal activity. And they get to just keep it. You can try to get it back, but you have to go through an expensive process of proving your money is innocent, rather than them proving it is guilty.
Those cases are usually made by specialized units chasing drugs, most on the highways. Most larger depts used to have interdiction units that worked state and federal roads and that's all they did was look for drug runners carrying large amounts of cash. You'd be surprised what the FBI teaches in their interdiction classes is considered probable cause. i.e. a flat head screw instead of a phillips head on a door panel or dashboard, or more than 3 different fast food wrappers on the floor board of your car. We no longer have municipal interdiction units (they're needed as beat units) but still have a few state and federal on the I10, I20 and I55 pipeline highways.
raison de arizona

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-04/ ... /101126326

An employee who survived a racially motivated mass shooting at a Buffalo supermarket sought a court order to question the 18-year-old gunman's parents under oath in anticipation of filing a lawsuit against them.

Key points:
The court filing asks the shooters parents to provide depositions to "aid in identifying all possible defendants"
The request was filed by one of three people who survived being shot at the Buffalo supermarket on May 14
District Attorney John Flynn said only the shooter appeared to be criminally liable
The filings in state Supreme Court ask that Payton Gendron's parents, Paul and Pamela Gendron of Conklin, provide depositions by July 29 "to preserve their testimony, frame the complaint, and aid in identifying all possible defendants."

The filings also ask for evidence of the crime to be preserved.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Good!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:02 am
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:54 am Tribal LEO shot and killed at traffic stop. Suspect took officer’s vehicle, eventually another officer was shot and wounded and the suspect killed.
Traffic stops = danger
A long time ago, my dad was an officer with the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police). He stopped a car for speeding/reckless driving. When he came back to the car from his cruiser after checking the driver out, the driver had shot and killed himself. There was evidence that he was on his way home to kill his wife and then himself when my dad pulled him over. I’m just grateful he didn’t decide to kill my dad before killing himself.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

jemcanada2 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:16 am
pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:02 am
Traffic stops = danger
A long time ago, my dad was an officer with the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police). He stopped a car for speeding/reckless driving. When he came back to the car from his cruiser after checking the driver out, the driver had shot and killed himself. There was evidence that he was on his way home to kill his wife and then himself when my dad pulled him over. I’m just grateful he didn’t decide to kill my dad before killing himself.
That's why I think they're dangerous — you may not know what you're dealing with. Your dad saved the wife's life.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”