Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Another Shooting

MN-Skeptic

Re: Another Shooting

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I don't know how common hunting is in other countries. Growing up in both Wisconsin and Iowa, and having a lot of friends who grew up on farms, it was real common for my friends to own guns and to go hunting. My husband and his best friend would go squirrel hunting when they were young.

That said, I don't think hand guns were nearly as common when I was growing up. My husband bought a very nice one when he was in college and would use it for target shooting. My brother, because of a real situation, bought a gun for self protection. He and his daughters enjoy target shooting, but have never gone hunting.

I have absolutely no interest in guns, so when my sweetie passed away, I gave his guns to his nephews who live in Iowa. I know one of the nephews enjoys skeet shooting with his daughter.

I know there are crazy folks who own a cache of guns - how can they afford that? - but many gun owners are just hunters or target shooters.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

You know, after I wrote that last post, I thought about the folks buying guns nowadays. How many of them are buying guns because of all the scaremongering politicians are doing? It's extremely unsafe to have a loaded gun by your bedside and yet that's what people are doing.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Noting the contributing factors (gun access being one of them) -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... icide_rate

USA 6.3 homicides per 100,000 population

Australia 0.9
UK 1.2
Canada 2.0
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I haven't tried to figure out the violence to or by people I knew or knew of. I know one kid killed himself via train-he was our optician's grandson. but there've been others.

An elderly man on the hillbilly side of the family hiding behind curtains poked a 12-gauge directly against my temple when I was about 12. That was a hoot.

No, it wasn't. I remember being numb for a while after that. Maybe that's when I decided I didn't want to be a hillbilly.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I've never been afraid in living in Hawaii, but now I'm moving to a city. Anyone can climb over the fence to my condo. If you have any recommendations for safety, I'd apreciate it.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I am not a hunter. I have never known anyone shot and/or killed by a gun. I can only claim I am vaguely familiar with guns from childhood and the service. I've never owned a gun, and have no desire to. They are just not my thing. That said, sadly I had to draw down on a guy years ago to protect our crew.

We work in the woods a lot, and though there are not many people eating critters out there, bears and mountain lions still roam freely in some of the places we go. So, we have a 30-06 in a case in the crew truck "just in case". No one ever practiced with it. I don't even know if anyone ever maintained the damn thing and knew it would fire properly. But, we had it if we were in bear country, and needed to scare them off.

One Summer we were working a tower when shots rang out. Not an unusual sound in remote areas. You never know who is out there miles away. But in this case we heard the zzzzz of the bullet going by before the report. And then another. And another. This effer was shooting at the tower. We couldn't tell if he was aiming at the crew or not. No one was hurt yet. He missed everything and everybody.

Two of us were on the ground, and we broke out our binoculars to look towards the sound. Not much to see. Could not really tell in the trees. One of the climbers had descended, pulled the rifle out, loaded it, and handed it to me as if I was the expert sniper. Wrong, but okay. We picked a spot in the tree line and I sent a return round his way even though he had been quiet for a few minutes. That got his attention because we heard his truck start not too far from where I had aimed. They got an ID on his truck, and headed towards their truck to chase him.

The rest of the guys were on the ground now with blood in their eye ready to lynch him. I tried to point out our drive down the hill goes the oposite direction - we'll never catch him - but you can't stop youthful enthusiasm. The rest of the day was spent roaming the area fruitlessly until their adrenelin had worn off enough they could let it go. We struck the site and came back a couple days later.

That was the one and only time I have ever aimed towards a person (not a target), and the last time I've fired a weapon.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Huh. I did a lot of hunting small critters as a boy, and when I was about 23, on a visit to my grandma, she asked me to take out some of the squirrels that were stealing her bird food. She gave me her rifle and I shot a few, but the last one was only wounded and dragged himself into the brush where I couldn't find him.

That was the last time I shot at anything but a paper target.

I taught my boys to shoot, and I maintain my rifle, but I don't shoot much at all anymore.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

He was only hunting..
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Dave from down under wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:19 pm He was only hunting..
A weird one. He shot into a vacant park at 3:30 in the morning. His minivan had the usual assortment of guns plus 300 spent shells. So he was tidy?
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2022 ... s-podgorny
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Dave from down under wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:19 pm He was only hunting..
Probably a tourist. /J6snark
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Dave from down under

“Guns make for a civil society” :crazy:
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

:eek:
Attachments
patriot-staffing.jpg
patriot-staffing.jpg (227.22 KiB) Viewed 621 times
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

mojosapien wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:28 am:eek:
:confuzzled: :confuzzled: :confuzzled:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

mojosapien wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:28 am:eek:
Did they just lose a staffer in another shooting? :twisted:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.newsweek.com/mother-uninten ... ma-1732026
Mother 'Unintentionally' Shot Dead by 12-Year-Old Son: Police

When police arrived at the home they found Ayobiyi Cook, 29, had been fatally shot and shortly afterward they launched an investigation into the death.

Cook's 12-year-old son initially told investigators a man had fled the home but Deputy Chief David Agee said in a statement shared on the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) website that detectives did not find this account to be possible.

The statement continued: "The child eventually gave a true account of what happened. Evidence on the scene supports that the shooting was unintentional and the offense will be addressed through the family court system."

Cook's husband is a police officer in nearby Birmingham and had been employed there since 2019. He had been working while his wife was shot dead, according to AL.com.

The JCSO statement added: "The family has been cooperative throughout the process and the child will remain with them. This offense is a tragedy for the Cook family and the entire community."
Questions, I haz them. Yes, a family tragedy, but what was 12 year doing with a loaded gun?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

A guess:
Cook’s husband is a police officer…
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I am less surprised by a 12 year old getting at a gun, and more concerned that a 12 year old had the cultural toolset to fabricate a tale about a man breaking in and shooting her.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neeneko wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:28 pm I am less surprised by a 12 year old getting at a gun, and more concerned that a 12 year old had the cultural toolset to fabricate a tale about a man breaking in and shooting her.
Not that surprising for the son of a police officer.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

CONFIRMED:
The situation in Clinton Co is tied an earlier threat at the FBI building in Cincinnati. FBI building is no longer a threat. Suspect armed with a gun was at the building. There was a pursuit that has now lead to the Clinton Co situation which is still unfolding.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Hey guys it was antifa....
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

All I've seen so far...

Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

So...Antifa?

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”