Another Shooting

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

3 shot near University of District of Columbia, campus sheltering in place
There is a large police presence near the scene at 4100 Connecticut Avenue near the intersection of Van Ness Street.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/loca ... 48743efd70
DC Police are investigating a shooting near the campus of the University of District of Columbia (UDC) in Northwest, D.C. where at least three people are injured.

Two men and a juvenile girl were shot, according to police, and their conditions are not yet known. There are several schools in the area, including UDC, which is currently sheltering in place, according to school officials.

There is a large police presence around the intersection of 4100 Connecticut Avenue and Van Ness Street, NW. Shortly after 4:30 p.m., WUSA9 reporters witnessed a man with his arms behind his back being led away from the scene by police. However, no arrests nor suspect information has been released or confirmed by police.

"MPD is responding to an active threat," Mayor Muriel Bowser tweeted. "Residents in the Cleveland Park and Van Ness area should shelter in place."
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Not actually a school shooting per se, the shooting was happening outside the school with stray bullets entering the school. As they do.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Off-duty Texas officer shoots 2 people in Walmart parking lot, police say

By Bob D'Angelo, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
April 22, 2022 at 10:24 pm EDT

SAN ANTONIO — An off-duty policeman in Texas is accused of shooting two people in the parking lot of a Walmart in San Antonio, authorities said Friday.

The officer, who serves with the Schertz Police Department northeast of San Antonio, fired shots into a van in the store’s parking lot, KSAT-TV reported. San Antonio police arrived shortly after 3 p.m. CDT and found a 40-year-old man suffering from “several” gunshot wounds and his passenger, a 39-year-old woman, also injured, the television station reported.

A police spokesperson said an altercation that happened in the Walmart parking lot led to the shooting, KENS-TV reported. A man driving a gray Honda Civic minivan pulled up and fired shots into a black minivan, according to the television station.

It is unclear what led to the shooting.

A spokesperson for the San Antonio Police Department said there also was a 24-year-old woman and a 4-year-old child in the back of the victim’s vehicle, but neither one of them were injured, WOAI-TV reported. The shooter called 911 and stayed at the scene, according to the television station.

Police said they took the man into custody for questioning.

“The City of Schertz is aware that an off-duty officer was involved in a shooting incident this afternoon,” officials said in a statement. “This incident is currently under investigation with the San Antonio Police Department.”

The shooter could face two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, police told KSAT.

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending/off- ... olice-say/
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:24 pm
Kendra wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:12 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ne ... uxbndlbing

:snippity:
Airbnb said a statement to ABC News that the person who booked the Pittsburgh house has been issued a lifetime ban from Airbnb. The company confirmed that an "unauthorized party" was thrown without the knowledge or consent of the house host, who specifically stated in the listing page that no parties were allowed and that any evidence of a party would result in a $500 fee.
Nothing's going to happen until they start banning the homeowners from listing their property, and that's not going to happen.
Maybe I just don't understand how Air BnB works, but why should they ban the homeowner when it looks (to me, anyway) like the homeowner did what they could to discourage parties and didn't know about or approve of the party that happened? What am I missing here?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:16 am
Nothing's going to happen until they start banning the homeowners from listing their property, and that's not going to happen.
Maybe I just don't understand how Air BnB works, but why should they ban the homeowner when it looks (to me, anyway) like the homeowner did what they could to discourage parties and didn't know about or approve of the party that happened? What am I missing here?
The grammar is rough, but the homeowner was not banned. The person that rented it was. Reading between the lines, they have done this with several properties across the country.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:33 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:16 am

The grammar is rough, but the homeowner was not banned. The person that rented it was. Reading between the lines, they have done this with several properties across the country.
Thanks, Bill -- I was referring to Sugar Magnolia's comment, though, that they need to start banning the homeowners from running listings. That's what I'm confused about. But I do appreciate you trying to help!!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:55 am Thanks, Bill -- I was referring to Sugar Magnolia's comment, though, that they need to start banning the homeowners from running listings. That's what I'm confused about. But I do appreciate you trying to help!!
Mornin Kris, and Ah!

If my rental home had been trashed by a party, a $500 fine wouldn't satisfy it.

OTOH, people with spare homes they can rent out on AirBnB are part of the reason housing prices have gone up. They are investment properties. So, I'm kinda glad this plan has some serious kinks in it. Mad partiers totally destroying a rental, shooting it up, and having the cops respond will give pause to local gummints allowing short term rentals in a market.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:04 am Mornin Kris, and Ah!

If my rental home had been trashed by a party, a $500 fine wouldn't satisfy it.

OTOH, people with spare homes they can rent out on AirBnB are part of the reason housing prices have gone up. They are investment properties. So, I'm kinda glad this plan has some serious kinks in it. Mad partiers totally destroying a rental, shooting it up, and having the cops respond will give pause to local gummints allowing short term rentals in a market.
Ok, that helps me understand it somewhat better - I never really think of the housing market effects of things because my husband and I have never thought about moving, so I haven't paid it much mind. The part I'm still trying to work out is how Air BnB could ban homeowners from running listings and still have any kind of a business left - unless that's the whole point, that things won't improve as long as they're in business.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

What'd they do, throw popcorn at him?
RTH10260 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:36 am

SAN ANTONIO — An off-duty policeman in Texas is accused of shooting two people in the parking lot of a Walmart in San Antonio, authorities said Friday.

The officer, who serves with the Schertz Police Department northeast of San Antonio, fired shots into a van in the store’s parking lot, KSAT-TV reported. San Antonio police arrived shortly after 3 p.m. CDT and found a 40-year-old man suffering from “several” gunshot wounds and his passenger, a 39-year-old woman, also injured, the television station reported.

A police spokesperson said an altercation that happened in the Walmart parking lot led to the shooting, KENS-TV reported. A man driving a gray Honda Civic minivan pulled up and fired shots into a black minivan, according to the television station.

It is unclear what led to the shooting.

A spokesperson for the San Antonio Police Department said there also was a 24-year-old woman and a 4-year-old child in the back of the victim’s vehicle, but neither one of them were injured, WOAI-TV reported. The shooter called 911 and stayed at the scene, according to the television station.

Police said they took the man into custody for questioning.

“The City of Schertz is aware that an off-duty officer was involved in a shooting incident this afternoon,” officials said in a statement. “This incident is currently under investigation with the San Antonio Police Department.”

The shooter could face two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, police told KSAT.

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:12 am What'd they do, throw popcorn at him?
RTH10260 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:36 am

Off-duty officer will not face charges after shooting in Walmart parking lot on far West Side, officials say
Man who was shot will also not be booked at this time; more investigation is needed

SAN ANTONIO – UPDATE 4/22/22 10:30 p.m.: Late Friday, San Antonio police said neither the man who was shot nor the Schertz off-duty police officer who fired at him and another woman in a vehicle would be booked at this time, pending more evidence from the investigation.

Police said the preliminary evidence showed the off-duty officer appeared to act in self-defense, and they do not currently have probable cause to believe otherwise.

Officials also gave more details about what they believed happened before the shooting.

SAPD said the off-duty officer and the man exchanged words in the parking lot, and the officer drove away without getting physical or threatening the man.

Video showed the man entering his van and pursuing the off-duty officer’s vehicle.

Police said the man then pulled along the side of the off-duty officer’s car and pointed a handgun at him. The off-duty officer feared for his life and those of the woman and child in his vehicle and fired toward the man, SAPD said.

The man and woman in the van were both hit by gunfire and wounded. Both are stable, police say.

KSAT will update this story as more information becomes available.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/04 ... west-side/
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Ugh. Bad day for that officer and his family. Whether or not the people in the van knew he was a cop may weigh in at some point.

[sarc]Clearly guns were the correct solution for this dispute.[/sarc] :bag:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Dozens of gunshots fired near youth baseball game in North Charleston

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/video-g ... eston-wciv
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) — Dozens of gunshots sent spectators and players at a Dixie Youth league baseball game ducking for cover at Pepperhill Park in North Charleston Monday evening.

Video sent to ABC News 4 from a viewer shows the chaotic scene unfolding around 8:45 p.m. as a flurry of gunshots are heard going off in what sounds like the immediate area.

One of the team's coaches says they have already petitioned for North Charleston to not be allowed to host recreational games at the park due to violence in the area.

Earlier on Monday, community leaders expressed how they were "fed up" with gun violence in the city after a 16-year-old was one of two people killed in a shooting on Sunday, a family friend of the victim tells ABC News 4.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Here's video of that Dixie League youth baseball game as the fusillade of shots ring out.

Image Image Image Image
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Showing a decided lack of proper NRA training!

Obviously the children should have taken cover, readied their weapons and with fire and maneuver decisively engaged the hostiles.

Casualties can be expected from being caught in a kill zone such as a baseball pitch - tactical situation awareness is clearly lacking.

This is obviously Biden's fault!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

tencats

Post by tencats »

Ten killed in mass shooting at Jefferson Avenue supermarket; shooter in custody
55 min ago
https://buffalonews.com/news/local/polo ... f848c.html

At least 10 people are dead and several injured as gunman in military uniform livestreams mass shooting at Buffalo supermarket with horrific footage showing bodies strewn on the ground
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... arket.html
At least 10 people were killed and several are injured after a gunman opened fire inside a Buffalo supermarket on Saturday while livestreaming.

The gunman opened fire inside the Tops Friendly Supermarket, at 1275 Jefferson Avenue, at about 2.30pm, shooting dead at least 10 people.

The suspect, filmed wearing a military uniform, has been taken into custody by the Buffalo Police Department.

Sources told NBC that the shooter entered the store wearing body armor and carrying two rifles.

The video of the arrest seen by DailyMail.com shows police cuffing the suspect and trying to get people away from the scene as several bodies lie motionless on the ground.

'A shooter, it's a mass shooter type s***,' one of the onlookers says as police and emergency responders detain the man in the military uniform.

'Damn, look at him, a young boy,' the onlooker adds as he comments on one of the bodies.

Police then instruct the onlookers to back up as they take control of the situation.

Details on the exact number of people shot at the Tops Friendly Market and their conditions weren't immediately available, and the suspect has not been identified.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

So a good guy with a gun was on the scene, and he shot the shooter, but it didn’t help

"Among the 10 victims who died in the shooting on Saturday was a retired Buffalo police officer who was working as a security guard and who engaged with the shooter after he entered Tops, officials said. He struck the suspect, but the suspect was wearing body armor."
:crying: :mad:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Police in Buffalo, New York, have described the killing of 10 people in a supermarket shooting as a racially motivated hate crime.

Key points:
An 18-year-old white man dressed in army fatigues was arrested at the scene
Eleven of the 13 people struck by gunfire were black.
Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said the city had suffered a "tremendous heartbreak"

More at
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-15/ ... /101067986
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

tek

Post by tek »

Arizona lawmaker Wendy Rogers, a Republican who has promoted the same Great Replacement conspiracy theory that was allegedly the motive for today's racist massacre in Buffalo, just posted this on the alt social media site Gab.
ms and I were just talking about this (in general) while out for a ride yesterday..

They've created an army of monsters they can't control.

Nobody could have predicted this /s

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”