Another Shooting

noblepa

Re: Another Shooting

Post by noblepa »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:48 am The brave new world of everyone in Texas carrying a gun. :mad:
If only there had been a good guy with a gun at the party . . .
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

They take their yard maintenance seriously in Texas as well. Austin home owner killed and his house burnt down for not mowing his lawn.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:39 pm They take their yard maintenance seriously in Texas as well. Austin home owner killed and his house burnt down for not mowing his lawn.
That's so sad — it must be a mental health issue, which should have ended with the owner getting help of some sort, but because it's a gun-soaked society, his frustration and mental frailty leads to his death.

Yet another occasion where possession of firearms leads to calamity for either the owner or the owner's family.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

If my neighbor's lawn went un-mowed to eight inches, I'd report it to the city and the city will mow it for them. Of course the property owner gets assessed a fee for such services. OTOH I don't have such a problem. Try as they may, they can't keep up with my pristine lawn.
Largo al factotum.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I'd report it to the city and the city will mow it for them.
At one point in my admittedly checkered career, I spent a few weeks mowing for the City of Huntington Beach, California. And weedwhacking, of course. Good outdoor work, and we could go bodysurfing during lunch break.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Sam the Centipede

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:42 pm
I'd report it to the city and the city will mow it for them.
At one point in my admittedly checkered career, I spent a few weeks mowing for the City of Huntington Beach, California. And weedwhacking, of course. Good outdoor work, and we could go bodysurfing during lunch break.
:fingerwag: Photos or it didn't happen! :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:lol:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Daniel Day Lewis has nothing on Foggy.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Indeed.
Sam the Centipede

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:00 pm

:lol:
Fake news!!!! I know that's not you – there's no hammer and sickle headgear!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:46 pm
bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:39 pm They take their yard maintenance seriously in Texas as well. Austin home owner killed and his house burnt down for not mowing his lawn.
That's so sad — it must be a mental health issue, which should have ended with the owner getting help of some sort, but because it's a gun-soaked society, his frustration and mental frailty leads to his death.

Yet another occasion where possession of firearms leads to calamity for either the owner or the owner's family.
The SWAT team negotiated with the owner for hours after the owner fired shots at the contractors mowing the lawn. A SWAT robot went into the house and found the fire. More talks with owner ensued trying to get him out of the house.
The man finally stepped out of the garage at 3:39 p.m. with “weapons in hand,” Chacon said. A SWAT team officer then shot the suspect, who “went down with a gunshot wound.”

Officers were able to disarm the man and pull him away from his house. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Pro tip to City Maintenance and Lawn Department: After 1st notice of overgrown lawn doesn't work, contact your mental health services employee to assess the situation.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
filly

Post by filly »

Yeah, no doubt the "mental health services" there are well-funded and will be quickly responsive.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:confuzzled:
'Rust' armorer's attorneys speculate sabotage occurred on set in deadly Alec Baldwin shooting incident
By Tyler McCarthy
Published November 3, 2021 1:09PM Updated 1:12PMNewsFOX News

The armorer on the set of "Rust" offered a chilling theory through her attorneys about what led to the accidental shooting death of Halyna Hutchins.

Armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed was one of four people who handled the weapon prior to Alec Baldwin firing it while rehearsing a scene for the indie-western. As a result, Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza said that the investigation is largely focused on her as well as how a live round made its way to the set of the film at all.

Speaking on the "Today" show Wednesday, Jason Bowles and Robert Gorence claimed that the bullets their client loaded into the gun on the day of the shooting were taken from a box that was only supposed to contain dummy rounds that were incapable of firing. However, because the ammunition was left unattended from roughly 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. that day, they believe the opportunity was there for a disgruntled crew member to mix a live round into the box.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/rust- ... g-incident
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Seems to me the person who left the ammo out instead of locking it up is still the person who's first responsible, even if the accusation is true.

ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Has it ever been confirmed whether members of the cast were using those guns to shoot at targets, beer cans and such, during "downtime"? I know that was reported but not confirmed to have happened. If so, it just shows the armorer really was not mature enough to tell the other members of the cast no, you can't use the "prop" guns. If you bring your own weapons you can go out in the desert and shoot beer cans all you want, but not use the guns that are meant as props for the movie. The armorer should have been keeping those weapons locked up at the end of shooting for the day.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:think: pure speculation, but WHAT IFF a member of the cast had "borrowed" a gun, shot with a blank from the box, and then covered up by replacing the empty space in the box with a real bullet :?:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:42 pm Seems to me the person who left the ammo out instead of locking it up is still the person who's first responsible, even if the accusation is true.
You know, it's recommended that if you have guns in your house and have children, you should keep your guns locked up and your ammunition locked up IN SEPARATE PLACES specifically so that kids can't get to both at the same time. Because, you know, it's dangerous.

I don't know why an armourer would lock up guns, but not lock up the ammunition at the same time. Because, you know, it's possible that someone could have put in a live round deliberately.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Azastan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:21 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:42 pm Seems to me the person who left the ammo out instead of locking it up is still the person who's first responsible, even if the accusation is true.
You know, it's recommended that if you have guns in your house and have children, you should keep your guns locked up and your ammunition locked up IN SEPARATE PLACES specifically so that kids can't get to both at the same time. Because, you know, it's dangerous.

I don't know why an armourer would lock up guns, but not lock up the ammunition at the same time. Because, you know, it's possible that someone could have put in a live round deliberately.
Who put the bullets in the gun? If you're not off dreaming about sex or something while loading the gun you'd see the difference between a blank and a bullet. Does a second person check the gun after it has been loaded? Apparently not in this case.
Largo al factotum.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

zekeb wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:30 pm [
Who put the bullets in the gun? If you're not off dreaming about sex or something while loading the gun you'd see the difference between a blank and a bullet. Does a second person check the gun after it has been loaded? Apparently not in this case.
You *should* see the difference, but apparently no one did.

Which is very, very curious.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

You’d only see it in a revolver. I didn’t catch whether this was a semi-auto or wheel-gun.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

zekeb wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:30 pm
Azastan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:21 pm

It's worse than that, from what I've read a "cold gun" is incapable of being fired. It won't even fire blanks. What Baldwin got handed was the wrong gun, plus the wrong ammo. (Frankly, this whole incident is so screwed up, us members of the public may never get the real story.)

I've never been in a movie though. The closest I've come to movie making with guns is the story my brother tells about being killed in a movie. He was shot by border guards. It took all day, required squibs, blanks, and falling down a lot. They just kept filming it from every angle. People talk about guns in movies, but really it's done with props and special effects.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Years ago I was occasionally in a tv studio. From a member of a crowd to having a few lines to being a guest star. Enjoyed it very much! Hope to do that again as an old lady when I retire. Everything single thing that happens is closely laid out by the director and support staff, and you do what they say. If handed a gun, you do what the director says to do. I never handled a gun, but I did drive a convertible Mustang doing exactly what I was told to do (and actually the team moved it anyway) because they knew what to do.

Apparently, the people responsible for handling guns did not know what to do.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

As I understand it, possibly wrongly, “cold gun” is used to refer to a weapon that contains no ammunition with a propellant, or other, charge. “Dummy rounds”, without proper inspection, can be identical to live rounds, and would be used to show the loading/unloading of a gun as well as looking “live” from the front of some revolvers.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

roadscholar wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:48 pm You’d only see it in a revolver. I didn’t catch whether this was a semi-auto or wheel-gun.
I think it was a western, so I'm guessing oldie western type?

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://omaha.com/news/national/indiana ... adccb1c8a6
CROWN POINT, Ind. — An Indiana boy killed Sunday while he was trick-or-treating in his grandmother's neighborhood had just turned 13 and was "the best son in the world," mother Jasmine Anderson said.

Thomas DeLaCruz Jr. was killed and another 13-year-old boy was wounded when several men opened fire on a group of trick-or-treaters about 7:30 p.m. in Hammond, Indiana, according to court records.

A 23-year-old Gary, Indiana, man charged Wednesday with murder and attempted murder in DeLaCruz's slaying told police he was handed a gun and felt like he had to shoot at the trick-or-treaters when his companions opened fire, according to court documents.

Desmond L. Crews, of Gary, was captured by a Hammond police officer after a father of one of the trick-or-treaters began chasing him from the scene of the shooting, Lake Criminal Court records state.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”