Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Another Shooting

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: Another Shooting

Post by Slim Cognito »

My money is on the meerkat.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Read.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/07/08/us/h ... index.html
Highland Park gunman's family was in turmoil for years leading up to parade shooting

But behind the scenes, the Crimo family was in turmoil. Police reports show that officers were regularly called to their home over domestic disputes between Crimo and his wife, and in 2019, police briefly confiscated a collection of knives after then 18-year-old Bobby threatened to "kill everyone."

More recently, after the once-bustling deli closed, the family appeared to fall into dire financial straits, with foreclosure cases proceeding against both of the homes they owned and Bob Crimo telling a judge several weeks ago he was on food stamps.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

So, the parents are in foreclosure and on food stamps. How did they retain a high-priced defense firm?

:think:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

They own two homes but they still qualified for food stamps? When I had to take a month off for open abdominal surgery, and had zero income, including an ex who wouldn’t pay child support, I had to beg to get one month’s worth of food stamps. When I went back to work, I had to wait two weeks to get my paycheck so I asked for a two week extension and they denied me bc I was working. But us Democrats are the leeches?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:28 am So, the parents are in foreclosure and on food stamps. How did they retain a high-priced defense firm?

:think:
And how was the kid earning money enough to pay for guns and ammo? Where was he keeping these items? He was living in a shack in the back yard of dad's house. Did the kid know he was going to be booted out of the place due to his dad not paying the mortgage?

SOOOOO many questions.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

The whole article paints the parents as pieces of work. Domestic incidents (both). Mother left toddler in car in 79-degree weather. They owe more than $1 million on properties, to vendors, etc. They never picked the kid up from school or activities on time-he was always last one left. Dad says he can still hold head high-he didn't do nuffin'. Much denial. And this is in what sounds like an affluent suburb. I'm interested in the psychology of how people present externally (happy deli owners, pillar of community, etc.) and what is going on internally, which in this case were universes apart.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

northland10 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:34 pm MTG tweeted that he was 22, 5'11" and 120 pounds and that is not healthy so it must be drugs and stuff. Um.. 22 5'11" and 120 pounds? That was me.
When I was 14, I was 6'0" and 98 pounds. The only drugs I took were whatever they gave me for appendicitis (I earned my Lifesaving merit badge 6 weeks after surgery, so I was definitely healthy - that's considered one of the most physically rigorous badges). I think I got up to 130 by the end of high school.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Yeah, and he tried to commit suicide by machete.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

To my way of thinking, when you sign for a permit with someone you are saying that you believe this person was trustworthy and that you would be responsible for misuse of the weapon. So the father saying he was not culpable despite signing for the gun is ducking responsibility.

I'm pretty sure he did it because the son terrorized him into signing for it, btu that does not change the fact his ink is on the dotted line.

As for "how did they afford X" if you skip meals and save the money, you can afford anything. That's one way addicts get money for their addiction. The body can run for quite a while on insufficient nutrition.
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Suranis wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:40 am As for "how did they afford X" if you skip meals and save the money, you can afford anything. That's one way addicts get money for their addiction. The body can run for quite a while on insufficient nutrition.
Kids stealing and pawning family possessions for cash works too.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Yeah, my money is on pawn shops, too.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:46 am Kids stealing and pawning family possessions for cash works too.
Ya, you're right. Didn't think of that angle.
Hic sunt dracones
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

The father probably isn't criminally culpable - anymore. Daddy only signed to the effect that he would be responsible for the minor applicant's actions. Li'l Bobby is no longer a minor and is thus capable of obtaining a FOID without parental consent. Still open to civil lawsuits, however.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Suranis wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:40 am I'm pretty sure he did it because the son terrorized him into signing for it, btu that does not change the fact his ink is on the dotted line.
I dunno. This one strikes me more like the dad just didn't give a damn and did it because that was the easiest thing to do - no coercion needed.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:36 pm
Suranis wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:40 am I'm pretty sure he did it because the son terrorized him into signing for it, btu that does not change the fact his ink is on the dotted line.
I dunno. This one strikes me more like the dad just didn't give a damn and did it because that was the easiest thing to do - no coercion needed.
Yep, the story is largely about the parents being indifferent and uninvolved and too busy fighting.

The story refers to a brother.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Maybe this is it. I sobbed at the end of this Ted Talk. Love those who deserve it less.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

The front door of my apartment building got shot out last night. Idiots coming out of a nightclub that shouldn't be here in the first place. Black on black violence. A bullet fragment landed a foot away from my mailbox. The cops said "call your councilperson." Yeah right, like she's gonna stop it.

The crime wave we're experiencing is part of the gentrification toolkit, to purposely scare away the long-term residents, demolish our buildings and build luxury towers for transitory tech heads. Some thugs carry guns, others carry briefcases. The rest of us are collateral damage.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

4 dead, 2 wounded in shooting at Greenwood Park Mall

GREENWOOD, Ind. — Police are investigating a shooting at Greenwood Park Mall that happened around 6 p.m. Sunday.

Four people are dead and two others wounded in the shooting. Police tell 13News the shooter is among those dead.

Greenwood Chief James Ison said two others were wounded in the shooting and are being treated at area hospitals.
https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local ... e4735fbe37

This is about 10 minutes from my house.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

The shooter was killed by an armed "Good Samaritan." Great!

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad someone was able to stop him before he killed more people but after years of all we need is a "good guy with a gun" to stop these shootings, one finally comes through. Problem solved.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, on faux noise and other sites, that will be the headline.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:36 pm The shooter was killed by an armed "Good Samaritan." Great!

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad someone was able to stop him before he killed more people but after years of all we need is a "good guy with a gun" to stop these shootings, one finally comes through. Problem solved.
A friend of mine - who I hadn't seen in several years after I became homebound - killed his next door neighbor and two people at a mall. He was killed by an off-duty cop. The cop got cited by locals for a while as the example of a "good guy with a gun." I'm glad someone was able to stop him, but for some reason it bothered me that his death was politicized like that.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Found elsewhere - 72 hour weekend shootings stats:

342 Shootings; 143 Dead; 305 Wounded.

But 1 good guy stopped 1 bad guy...
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

This is entirely too close to the hotel I’ll be staying at the rest of this week…
Denver police injure 5 bystanders in LoDo while shooting man who allegedly pointed gun at officers
Suspect shot by police, Jordan Waddy, 21, was arrested on suspicion of felony menacing

Denver police injured five bystanders when they opened fire in the busy Lower Downtown nightlife district as bars closed early Sunday, shooting a man they allege pointed a gun at officers.

Those bystanders — three women and two men — were either shot by police or injured with shrapnel from the officers’ bullets, Denver police said in a news release Sunday afternoon. All five are expected to survive.

The man police say pointed a gun at officers, 21-year-old Jordan Waddy, is also expected to survive his injuries. Waddy did not fire the gun, according to the news release. Police arrested him on suspicion of felony menacing and possession of a weapon by a previous offender.
:snippity:
https://www.denverpost.com/2022/07/17/2 ... -shooting/
I guess this could go in the Cops Behaving Badly as well. I’ve been hearing for years that Colorado cops are bad news. FWIW.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”