Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Facebook

Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Re: Facebook

Post by Reality Check »

This video provides an explanation for Facebook's most recent outage. It was self inflicted. Their people couldn't even get into their own buildings to fix the network switches because their internal network crashed too.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:rotflmao:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:47 am The algorithm prolly picked up stab & knife in the same sentence.

Or it realized that woodpeckers are generally peaceful, if noisy, birbs, and hummers are, ounce for ounce, the most violent, bad tempered, stabby little fuckers in all of bird-dom, and called a fowl.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:26 pm
Estiveo wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:47 am The algorithm prolly picked up stab & knife in the same sentence.

Or it realized that woodpeckers are generally peaceful, if noisy, birbs, and hummers are, ounce for ounce, the most violent, bad tempered, stabby little fuckers in all of bird-dom, and called a fowl.
That's actually true! :rotflmao:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Reality Check wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:48 pm This video provides an explanation for Facebook's most recent outage. It was self inflicted. Their people couldn't even get into their own buildings to fix the network switches because their internal network crashed too.

Can we all get together and donate to somebody to take Facebook down for good once and for all without any ability to get themselves back up and running? We would be so much better off without that crapstain's website poisoning better than half the population with misinformation.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Facebook Renames Itself Meta
The social network, under fire for spreading misinformation and other issues, said the change was part of its bet on a next digital frontier called the metaverse.

By Mike Isaac
Oct. 28, 2021 Updated 5:28 p.m. ET

SAN FRANCISCO — Facebook rose to prominence over the past two decades with some of the world’s most recognizable branding: a big blue-and-white letter F.

No longer. On Thursday, the social networking giant took an unmistakable step toward an overhaul, de-emphasizing Facebook’s name and rebranding itself as Meta. The change was accompanied by a new corporate logo designed like an infinity-shaped symbol that was slightly askew. Facebook and its other apps, such as Instagram and WhatsApp, will remain but under the Meta umbrella.

The move punctuates how Mark Zuckerberg, the chief executive, plans to refocus his Silicon Valley company on what he sees as the next digital frontier, which is the unification of disparate digital worlds into something called the metaverse. At the same time, renaming Facebook may help distance the company from the social networking controversies it is facing, including how it is used to spread hate speech and misinformation.

“I’ve been thinking a lot about our identity” with this new chapter, Mr. Zuckerberg said, speaking at a virtual event on Thursday to showcase Facebook’s technological bets on the future. “Over time, I hope we’re seen as a metaverse company.”

With the change, Mr. Zuckerberg telegraphed that his company was going beyond today’s social networking, which Facebook has been built on since it was founded 17 years ago. Having Facebook as the corporate name when the company now owned many apps and was fundamentally about connecting people was no longer tenable, he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/28/tech ... -meta.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Will Facebook under it's new name now go onto a war aginst all and any company already having META in the company name?
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:57 pm Will Facebook under it's new name now go onto a war aginst all and any company already having META in the company name?
They have no idea what they're up against if they try to mess with META-MUCIL.
tek

Post by tek »

d-2.jpg
d-2.jpg (88.46 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

:lol: That's good.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

qbawl wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:09 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:57 pm Will Facebook under it's new name now go onto a war aginst all and any company already having META in the company name?
They have no idea what they're up against if they try to mess with META-MUCIL.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Mocking Meta: Facebook’s virtual reality name change prompts backlash
The rebrand comes as the company faces a series of public relations crises

Samantha Lock
Fri 29 Oct 2021 04.29 BST

The announcement by Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg that the social media giant will change the name of its holding company to Meta in a virtual-reality rebrand has prompted dismay and bemusement.

On Thursday, Zuckerberg said Meta would encompass Facebook as well as apps such as Instagram, WhatsApp and the virtual reality brand Oculus.

“Announcing Meta — the Facebook company’s new name,” the tech giant said in a tweet. “Meta is helping to build the metaverse, a place where we’ll play and connect in 3D. Welcome to the next chapter of social connection.”

The rebrand comes as the company faces a series of public relations crises.

A trove of recently leaked documents now known as the Facebook Papers exposed the inner workings of the company, with allegations from whistleblower Frances Haugen that Facebook has put profits ahead of ridding its platform of hate speech and misinformation.

Satirical late night news programme the Daily Show tweaked Zuckerberg’s Meta presentation video by superimposing the tech billionaire onto footage of the January 6 Capitol riots and the 2017 Charlottesville white nationalist march. Both events were organised on Facebook.

“Imagine you’ve put on your glasses or headset and you’re instantly in your home space and it has an incredibly inspiring view of whatever you find most beautiful,” Zuckerberg says as footage of Capital rioters and a group of tiki torch-bearing white supremacists plays in the background.

Politicians across all party lines also joined the conversation about the controversial rebrand.

New York progressive congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez didn’t hold back in her disapproval, calling the company “a cancer to democracy” and “a global surveillance and propaganda machine for boosting authoritarian regimes and destroying civil society.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... s-backlash
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I own the word 'meta' actually. :mrgreen:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Woot. Another 30 day ban for me! Heres the horrid post, complete with spelling mistakes.
Eric Reichenfunken "That was debunked. There was no settlement for Summer Zervos."

LOL. I said he settled the case out of court, not that there was a public settlement. And why do you keep saying "It was debunked" as though There was cafeful right win reserch tems poring over books. 😃

Plus, your own quote says you are a liar There was a settlement

"A one-page document on the SETTLEMENT in Manhattan Supreme Court states..."

Now,obviously I have no idea what the actual settlement was, but It would not surprise me that Donald Handed over Shares or jewlery or something valuable but not actually money, so he could preen to to his lake of fools that there was no money handed over.

Why else would the case end right before he was due to give a deposition when she faught a case last March to have the case proceed?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-su ... 4efbc5eab2
In explaining their "Bullying" thing. it said that I made threats, or that I made fun of their appearance etc. Well, I didn't. In fact apart from calling him a Liar, soneonting I had done on other posts, there's nothing about him at all. And I had called him a liar when he said that the Fines from mueller were reversed when Trump pardoned his associates.He also said that The Clinton Foundation had paid huge fines but the Media didn't report it.

I disagreed with the decision, but then they helfully said they "dont have any reviewers available die to Coronavirus." Riiiight.

So, Facebook allowed me to post for 3 days before shutting me down again. Get your victim blaming on here.

By the way, to Patagoniagirl, You were right in what you said above. I used to basically attack people on facebook, as I was frankly fed up with the constant lying and people clinging to lies. I was at the point where I believed that being polite was pointless especially when they insulted me 24/7. But I'm nowhere as bad now. I pretty much hammer the facts.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I'm not the only one it seems. The Stonkettle Station guy has been fighting with the Alcorytm becasue it was not allowing him to advertise his stuff due for a certain Christian gift giving Day thats coming up in a couple of months.
Jim Wright
Admin

Facebook is heavily limiting my posts here on the Group.

Facebook will not let me post certain things or link to certain sites at all in the Group. When Facebook does allow those posts, it puts them into "review" and doesn't allow them to be immediately visible to the group. However, Facebook WILL let me post those same exact things on my personal page without any limit, warning, or reservation. I can't make heads or tails of it, and it's nearly impossible to figure out what keywords are the problem.

So, that said, there are things available RIGHT NOW on one of my personal sites. If you want links and details, you know like if you're looking for something for Christmas maybe, you should look at my main FB page.
Honestly, I don't understand this platform's business model at all. I'm not sure they even have one.
And Scibabe has a tale
SciBabe

Y’all I was banned for a week for calling someone…

An amphibious animal that rhymes with “road.”

I’ve been posting all week to patreon because the writing doesn’t stop just because the algorithm can’t get its shit together. I’ve added admins to the account to assure this won’t won’t happen again. It’s been an annoying week.

Please enjoy this article from earlier this year about Australia’s toxic asshole death [censored].
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Fair is fair, I got this message this morning.
Today at 07:52
Your comment is back on Facebook
We're sorry that we got this wrong. We reviewed your comment again and it does follow our Community Standards.
We appreciate you taking the time to request a review. Your feedback helps us do better.
Hic sunt dracones
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I've done it. I think. I got rid of my FB. I knew it would be a difficult withdrawal, but as a persona with serious addiction issues, I had to.

I'm pretty happy with my decision right now and my PBS and documentary linkies and TFB work well for me for news and edjumacation stuff including gardening sites so far seem fulfilling. I only.had 35 or so "friends" on FB, all whom I enjoyed, but the push of my newsfeed got to be too much. Downsizing seems like a good move.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I need to leave facebook, too. I rarely check in on it. I should just contact my real friends and give them my email address. Thank you for posting your decision.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I think about it every week. I gave up scrolling years ago because there was too much stupid. I do like Messenger, though. It's a nice way to stay in touch with the grandkids.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:roll:
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Peter Thiel, PayPal founder and Trump ally, to step down from Meta board
Thiel, a major donor to the Republican party, was seen by critics as part of the reason why Facebook did not censor Trump

Johana Bhuiyan and agencies
Tue 8 Feb 2022 00.12 GMT

Peter Thiel, the co-founder of PayPal and Palantir Technologies, is stepping down from the board of Facebook’s parent company, Meta, after 17 years.

Thiel, Facebook’s longest-serving board member and a major donor to the Republican party, plans to focus on backing Donald Trump’s allies in the November midterm elections, according to the New York Times. He recently donated $10m each to the Senate campaigns of Blake Masters, who is running for a seat in Arizona, and JD Vance, who is running in Ohio. Masters is the chief operating officer of Thiel’s family office and Vance used to work at one of Thiel’s venture funds.

Thiel has long been a controversial figure on Facebook’s 10-person board, particularly as one of a few major tech figures who vocally supported Trump. Thiel, who donated millions of dollars to Trump’s campaign and served on the ex-president’s transition team, was seen by critics as a part of the reason Facebook did not take down Trump’s posts that violated its community standards. Thiel is a close confidant of Zuckerberg’s. He accompanied him to a private dinner with Trump in 2019 and has successfully advocated he withstand pressure to take political speech and ads off the platform.

But recently he has publicly criticized Facebook’s content moderation decisions, saying he’d “take QAnon and Pizzagate conspiracy theories any day over a Ministry of Truth”.

Thiel joined Facebook’s board in 2005, a year after the company was founded and seven years before its made its debut on Wall Street. The company said on Monday that he would stay on until Meta’s next shareholder meeting later this year, where he would not stand for re-election.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ard-resign
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The first facebook 20 day ban of the year!The horrific post that got me banned?
Eric Reichelt Sure it failed, thats why Trump only manages to lift sanctions on Deprinsky's companies rather than the 3 oligarchs he wanted to lift sanctions on :)

You really are a bit of an idiot.
I'm sure I will be told about how it was all my fault.

They gave me an option to appeal the decision. This is what I wrote:
The guy was sitting there talking about how everyone else was blinded by hatred and posting misinformation.

I had been patiently pointing out where he had been wrong, how his own links showed he was wrong in what he was saying, and when I signed off I wished him a "blessed evening"

On one post out of twelve or so I called him "a bit of an idiot"

That is in no way harassment or bullying. in the time I have typed this, he has already replied to me twice and repeating the same misinformation, and lacing it with insults.

This is most unjust.
I;m not holding my breath. And I'm not wasting any more time on this "appeal"
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I still have a permanent stain on my Facebook record for posting a meme of Osama bin Laden saying "You mean I could have just walked into the place?"

That's OK, it's a badge of honor. If Facebook was offended, it says more about them, etc. ...
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Is there some kind of thing where you are limited to one post a day, now?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Dan Price @DanPriceSeattle wrote: Facebook: your fully-sourced string of facts is incorrect

Also Facebook: we are happy to spread your "misinformation" in exchange for fourteen dollars
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”