Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Facebook

Chilidog

Facebook

Post by Chilidog »

Is it just me, or are they in a meltdown / crash mode right now?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Re: Facebook

Post by zekeb »

Just checked. Working here.
Il factotum
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

FB is down here.

Texoma's Homepage
@TexomasHomepage
Twitter is on fire with the fallout. Facebook and Instagram were down for many. users.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Also just checked. Not loading.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
realist

Post by realist »

No problem here.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Down down here
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Back up, but a bit wonky
somerset

Post by somerset »

It's down for me on both my laptop and phone. Seems to be OK on my iPad, but all the posts are 2+ hours old.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Groups is not fully functional.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Back up again and it looks like it is operating down here.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Now working, but haven't really done anything, so I don't know how well.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

Been working for me but I have heard stories of weird temp. bannings, like calling one's own fingers fat...I caught it automatically changing some innocent word (can't think of it now) and I ended up hyphenating it...
"The dumber than dirt American we screwed to to floor"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

When I got on later, it seemed to be back to normal.
Chilidog

Re: Facebook jail

Post by Chilidog »

Got a 7 day ban for calling a racist troll a racist troll.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Facebook jail

Post by AndyinPA »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 am Got a 7 day ban for calling a racist troll a racist troll.
But did the racist troll get banned?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Germany

The top German court overrides FB user agreement
Google Translate wrote:Account freezing after hate speech: BGH sets Facebook limits
What is hate, what is freedom of expression? And what should social media providers do in the event of controversial user comments?

In any case, Facebook proceeded too briskly in two cases - according to the judgment of the Federal Court of Justice. Facebook has to reactivate posts by a user that have been deleted as hate speech. The Federal Court of Justice (BGH) in Karlsruhe decided that the social network must inform those concerned when it has removed posts. The BGH has declared Facebook's general terms and conditions for deleting posts and blocking users to be ineffective. The third civil senate of the BGH justified this with the lack of hearing rights of the users concerned.

The Karslruher judges also made it clear: The social media provider has the fundamental right to delete posts and block users in the event of violations of their own platform rules in Germany. In future, however, it is imperative that those affected be informed of an impending blockage and must be given the opportunity to explain themselves.
German article https://www.dw.com/de/kontensperre-nach ... a-58691207
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The rest
► Show Spoiler
Counterpoint
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Facebook has banned me for 30 days again. The Post that launched a thousand trolls to report my evil and bullying ways?
William Wires Yes, you are part of the subsection of the human races called "Idiots," therefore "you idiots."

You are also part of the subsection of the human race called "Constantly wrong"
The horror.
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

A while back, like a year ago, I posted two photos, one of trump with his bible photo-op and one of Hitler holding a bible. About six months later, I got a notice they'd taken it down and if I wanted to appeal, here's the link.

Along with a box for my explanation, they had other options, such as apologize to my friends for my heinous crime of posting a photo of Hitler.

I explained why I had a photo of Hitler on my page. I was polite but firm.

They got back with me a few days later and said the photo was banned, end of story. They never made it clear to me if all photos of Hitler are banned on Facebook or just the ones that your idiot high school "friend" decided to make trouble over.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I got a notification a few weeks ago that a post I had made 7 years ago had been set to read only.

Anyway I got told that there was no way this would be reviewed due to staffing shortages due to Covid, but I was still asked did I agree or disagree with the decision. :bored:
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

This is so cool, I get to hang out with all these awesome Facebook criminals! Walt was right all along!
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I decided to appeal my Facebook ban
Good Evening.

The account William Wires has been active in spreading Misinformation on the Snopes Facebook pages for over a year. He is an active troll account that is doing everything he can to attack Vaccinations, Democrats, Snopes, and truth in general. I have corrected him over one hundred times on the Lies he tells, and he continues to repeat the same lies. Frankly, you can only deal with a troll like this so often without getting frustrated, especially when he has no problem insulting you.

The specific post I was responding to was when I said "You Idiots" with respect to the class of misinformation spreaders that William Wires belongs to. His response was not to deal with the substance of my post but to simply repeat "You Idiots" with a smiley face. So I confirmed that he was part of the class of people called idiot and added the "Always wrong." Subset. I did NOT specifically target the William Wires account for a specific insult, I kept the insult general to those who perform the behavior of misinformation.

In context, I meant "idiots" to refer to people who spread misinformation on your platform. People are Dying becasue of these peoples activities, and so I believe these people need to be resisted assertively. But even so, I did not personally attack the Wires account.

Considering the amount of time I have been banned, I believe these accounts are there to stimulate people to respond, at which point they have 200 bot accounts ready to report every single post they make. The effect is to curtail the people who debunk their lies and allow their lies to gain dominance on Facebook. I believe that accounts that do nothing but spread misinformation should have an insult free status so people whose only motive is to correct lies should not be the ones that are punished.

Thank you for your attention
I doubt if it will go anywhere but I feel a bit better after yelling at a brick wall for a bit.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:like:

My only addition would be something to the effect that what they did to you makes them look like a company that has a policy to suppress a voice as insistent and vocal as the disinformation-spreaders. Why do they over-discipline someone who does not post disinformation, and who instead posts rational and TRUE information, with logical explanation why the disinformation is wrong? Your voice is needed.

:whisper: (note to self: last time I type 'disinformation-spreaders'. From now on, it's 'spreadnecks'. Infinitely better in all the ways.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:cantlook:
Facebook mistakenly labels black men 'primates'
Issued on: 04/09/2021 - 04:30
Modified: 04/09/2021 - 04:28

San Francisco (AFP)

Facebook on Friday said it disabled its topic recommendation feature after it mistook Black men for "primates" in video at the social network.

A Facebook spokesperson called it a "clearly unacceptable error" and said the recommendation software involve was taken offline.

"We apologize to anyone who may have seen these offensive recommendations," Facebook said in response to an AFP inquiry.

"We disabled the entire topic recommendation feature as soon as we realized this was happening so we could investigate the cause and prevent this from happening again."

Facial recognition software has been blasted by civil rights advocates who point out problems with accuracy, particularly it comes to people who are not white.

Facebook users in recent days who watched a British tabloid video featuring Black men were show an auto-generated prompt asking if they would like to "keep seeing videos about Primates," according to the New York Times.

The June 2020 video in question, posted by the Daily Mail, is titled "White man calls cops on black men at marina."

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/2 ... n-primates
tek

Post by tek »

Facebook on Friday said it disabled its topic recommendation feature after it mistook Black men for "primates" in video at the social network.
This is why I keep harping on ML/AI not being the holy grail techbros seem to think it is.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”