Mike Pence

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Mike Pence

Post by RTH10260 »

Can Pence’s Trump-lite blend of policy and politeness convince Republicans?
Former vice-president strikes a delicate balance between praise and condemnation of his old boss as he considers a 2024 run

David Smith in Washington
Sun 18 Dec 2022 10.00 GMT

There were servings of croissants, macarons and copies of a book entitled So Help Me God. There were reporters but it could not be described as a stampede; one front row seat was nabbed by the Guardian while others assigned to the media were eventually regular audience members.

Mike Pence, the former US vice-president, walked into the auditorium at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) thinktank in Washington last week. It was the latest stop on a lengthy book tour that is ostensibly promoting his memoir while also testing the water for a presidential run in 2024.

At event after event, in interview after interview, Pence has framed his book as a story about growing up in small-town Indiana, putting his faith in Jesus Christ and marrying “the girl of my dreams”. But the 63-year-old has also struck a delicate balance when it comes to his former boss, President Donald Trump – coming both to bury Caesar and to praise him.

Pence has repeatedly defended his decision to resist pressure from his boss to overturn the 2020 election – while stopping short of condemning Trump as a traitor who should never hold elected office again.

Asked by the Associated Press what consequences Trump should face for the January 6 attack on the US Capitol, the former VP replied: “That’s up to the American people … And look, I’ll always be proud of the record of the Trump administration.” Asked by NBC’s Meet the Press if the president committed a criminal act in fomenting an insurrection, he answered: “Well, I don’t know if it is criminal to listen to bad advice from lawyers.”

In a town hall broadcast by CNN, Pence said: “Let me just say that it was a great honor for me to be a part of the Trump-Pence administration … But in the end, our administration did not end well.” And he told CBS News’s Face the Nation: “While the president and I parted amicably, I believe as we look to the future, we’ll have better choices.”

At the AEI last week Pence charted a similar course, seeking to embrace the Trump legacy while simultaneously keeping the man at arm’s length. They were always an odd couple: a blowhard celebrity billionaire from New York accused of sexual harassment and a pious midwestern governor who refuses to dine alone with a woman who is not his wife.

But Pence claimed that an unlikely bond formed between them.

“President Trump wasn’t just my president, he was my friend,” he said “We really developed a close working relationship, which I know surprises people … It isn’t that we didn’t have differences, and I recount a few of them in the book, but during the administration I thought it was always important that I express my opinion to the president in private.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... epublicans
RTH10260

Mike Pence

Post by RTH10260 »

:cantlook: :cantlook: :cantlook: :doh:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Mike Pence

Post by neonzx »

Yeah, um, that is so not a gonna happen. Bye Mike.
noblepa

Mike Pence

Post by noblepa »

How cute.

He actually believes that he has a political future.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Mike Pence

Post by AndyinPA »

It would be, "Mike, who?" even in Indiana if Manafort had not chosen him to run as VP.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Mike Pence

Post by sugar magnolia »

Bless his heart.
humblescribe
Verified:

Mike Pence

Post by humblescribe »

"I'll always be proud of the record of the Trump Administration."

Help me out here, friends and neighbors, I beseech you.

Just what was accomplished during this administration? Depending upon your point of view my list is rather short.

-- Tax cuts for the wealthy with a few crumbs tossed to the masses.
-- Three miles(!) of new border wall.
-- Rapid development of the Covid vaccine despite not advocating its use to all.
-- Letting hundreds of thousands of people die needlessly in the interim with poor executive action under the Defense Production Act and other provisions.
-- Jacking up the National Debt by trillions to keep businesses open and people off welfare.
-- Gaffing the federal judiciary with unqualified and underqualifed judges to make really bad decisions. (See: Kavanaugh, Brett; Barret, Amy; Cannon, Eileen for starters.) (Gaff here is used in the slang sense, not in the piscatorial sense.)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
pipistrelle

Mike Pence

Post by pipistrelle »

humblescribe wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:08 pm "I'll always be proud of the record of the Trump Administration."

Just what was accomplished during this administration? Depending upon your point of view my list is rather short.

I'm not sure about the crumbs. My taxes were worse, not better.
Suranis

Mike Pence

Post by Suranis »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:34 pm
humblescribe wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:08 pm "I'll always be proud of the record of the Trump Administration."

From what I remember, They stopped the taxes slightly to make people think they had cut everyone's taxes... until Tax Rebate time, when people found out they had slashed the Tax Rebates to nothing in order to pay for the tax cuts to rich people.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Mike Pence

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, I seem to remember they put a delayed poison pill into the bill.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
humblescribe
Verified:

Mike Pence

Post by humblescribe »

Yes, Pip, there were some who fell into the cracks and paid more in taxes. I had a few clients who wound up paying more. Those were mostly people who had high W2 income and lived in high-taxed states. In addition those who had significant 212 deductions (like investment fees, unreimbursed employee expenses, other expenses to produce income) found that those deductions were eliminated by the act, and the increased "standard deduction" was inadequate to replace the deductions that were eliminated.

This act eliminated the deduction for personal exemptions but increased the standard deduction by a lot. This change resulted in reduced taxable income and lower taxes overall, especially if some of their income was in the form of qualified dividends or long-term capital gains.

I am not sure what Suranis is referring to with "tax rebates." We do have tax credits, and to my knowledge those credits were increased slightly for people with small children. (My practice was primarily with oldsters whose children had flown the nest, so I wasn't up on the child tax credits.)
noblepa

Mike Pence

Post by noblepa »

I have not really researched this, and I may be wrong.

I believe that some middle class taxpayers DID benefit from the Trump tax cuts. I'm thinking of individuals, or couples who live in rental property, such as an apartment or a rented house. They do not have large deductions for mortgage interest or property taxes and couldn't benefit from itemizing. The enormous increase in the standard deduction probably helped them a lot.

Prior to the tax cuts, they were probably taking the standard deduction anyway, so the increase resulted in a significant decrease in their taxable income.
Lani

Mike Pence

Post by Lani »

humblescribe wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:12 pm

Worse for me, too.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dr. Ken

Mike Pence

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RTH10260

Mike Pence

Post by RTH10260 »

:confuzzled: I don't think that was very wise. His former room mate at the WH will now have an extra year to hammer him flat as tin foil :twisted:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Mike Pence

Post by Ben-Prime »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:36 pm :confuzzled: I don't think that was very wise. His former room mate at the WH will now have an extra year to hammer him flat as tin foil :twisted:
I prefer to think of Pence at this point as the sacrificial lamb who will keep Trump ranting at an even higher level until he either burns out or burns away any remaining waffling support.

I mean, if Pence is still claiming to be a Christian, it would be completely in character for him.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Suranis

Mike Pence

Post by Suranis »

This is from before Christmas...

https://www.rawstory.com/mike-pence-trump-indictment/
Mike Pence cites Christmas as a reason not to indict Trump for 'bad advice from lawyers' Jan. 6
David Edwards
December 19, 2022

Former Vice President Mike Pence urged the Justice Department not to indict former President Donald Trump for his role in inciting the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol and trying to overturn the 2020 election.

During a Monday interview on Fox News, Pence was asked if the Jan. 6 Committee should issue a criminal referral for Trump.

Pence accused the committee of having a "partisan taint."

"Congress has no formal role in Justice Department decisions," he added. "So they can make recommendations today. But when it comes to the Justice Department's decision about bringing charges in the future, I would hope that they would not bring charges against the former president."

"The president's actions and words on Jan. 6 were reckless but I don't know that it's criminal to take bad advice from lawyers," the former vice president opined.

"There might be criminal referrals on that too," Fox News host Dana Perino observed.

Pence suggested that Trump should not be indicted because of the Christmas holiday season.

"I want to tell you, I hope the Justice Department understands the magnitude of the very idea of indicting a former president of the United States," Pence remarked. "I think that would be terribly divisive in the country at a time when the American people want to see us heal. At this time of year, we're all thinking about the most important things in our lives: our faith, our family. And my hope is, the Justice Department think very carefully before proceeding."

Watch the video below from Fox News.

Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Mike Pence

Post by pipistrelle »

"The president's actions and words on Jan. 6 were reckless but I don't know that it's criminal to take bad advice from lawyers," the former vice president opined.
He was telling them what bad advice to give him. Good one.
RTH10260

Mike Pence

Post by RTH10260 »

Luckily for us the DOJ will evaluate the J6 evidence after the holidays and they can safely ignore Pences suggestion without feeling bad about the timing :violin:
humblescribe
Verified:

Mike Pence

Post by humblescribe »

Hey Mike!

You don't want the DOJ to indict tfg so that the country can heal. Really, now. Try pleading your case with your fellow Rethuglicans about healing the country, and then maybe--just maybe--we can talk about dialing down criminal action against your former running mate. You and your elk just want the same old, same old, reactionary views to smother contemporary society.

Quit living in the '50s and before, Mike. Ain't. Gonna. Happen.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Mike Pence

Post by Foggy »

Boiled down to its essence, President Ford's pardon of Richard Nixon amounted to "so the country can heal". :roll:

I wasn't pleased with that one either.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260

Mike Pence

Post by RTH10260 »

Pence Responds after Trump Blames Pro-Lifers for GOP Midterm Struggles

Ari Blaff
Tue, January 3, 2023 at 2:30 PM GMT+1

Former vice president Mike Pence responded to Donald Trump’s comments blaming pro-lifers for the GOP’s lackluster midterm performance on Monday by endorsing a statement released by Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America.

“The approach to winning on abortion in federal races, proven for a decade is this: state clearly the ambitious consensus pro-life position and contrast that with the extreme view of Democrat opponents. We look forward to hearing that position fully articulated by Mr. Trump and all presidential candidates,” the organization said in a statement released Monday.

The remarks drew Pence’s approval on Twitter Monday night.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pence-respon ... 03939.html
(original: National Review)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Mike Pence

Post by northland10 »

Um, Mr. Stone, how is filing a form with the FEC Fraud?
101010 :towel:
Dr. Ken

Mike Pence

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Suranis

Mike Pence

Post by Suranis »

LAST WEEK???? WHY THE DELAY IN INFORMING US! RABBLERABLERABBLE!!
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”