Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Mike Pence

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Mike Pence

Post by AndyinPA »

It was Manafort who chose Pence, IIRC. Yes, he was a goner in Indiana when he was chosen.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I've lived in Indiana for almost four years now. I run in a more liberal crowd but my distinct impression is that even the overly conservative types that live around here never cared for him much. As governor his record would seem to have pushed all the right political buttons with that crowd but they still didn't like him. My sister-in-law always thought there was something creepy about the guy and I had to agree with her. His head makes me think of a rubber halloween mask for some reason, just a dumb plastic emotionless stare into nothing. A cardboard box has more charisma.

He also had a habit of embarrassing the state from time to time. He completely flubbed the handling of an AIDS outbreak in the southern part of the state. Then he signed into law that anti-gay bill that caught so much flack in the national news. As a result SalesForce decided against a planned expansion of its offices here. The state has lost a couple of high profile bids for big tech operations over the last few years and I think a big part of it is the state's reputation of social intolerance, which Pence helped highlight as governor.

As far as I can tell, he did one good thing as governor, and his base probably hates him for it. He implemented a version of ACA in this state and, while it's not perfect, I can say from personal experience that it works pretty well.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT wrote:Per a Pence aide, the former VP just visited the Ukraine border with Ed Graham/Samaratin's Purse. Pence spoke to mothers and children crossing into Poland, aide says.
WillisisCray @WillisisCray wrote:Hi My name is Mike Pence and I am running for President.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

And he thinks he has a shot.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He's living in la-la land.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Must be a lot of Ukrainain republicans in the United States more so after Trump tried to stiff Ukraine weapons deal.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
raison de arizona

Samaritan's Purse BTW is Billy Graham and particularly nasty for an aid organization. We had them in NYC when we were overflowing with covid patients. They are virulently anti-LGBTQ and forced their workers/volunteers to sign a faith statement.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

Politico: Trump rules out Pence as VP in potential 2024 presidential bid:
The former president doesn't think Americans would "accept" a Trump-Pence ticket.

Former President Donald Trump has yet to announce whether he’ll run for president in 2024. But if he does, Trump said Mike Pence won’t rejoin him on the GOP ticket.

Trump told the Washington Examiner on Tuesday night that “I don’t think the people would accept” Pence as the former president’s running mate if he were to run for and win the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

Those familiar with Trump’s thinking told POLITICO in November his VP decision will hinge on two factors: loyalty to Trump and loyalty to his belief in a stolen 2020 election. Both criteria would seem to disqualify Pence.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

So who ever thought Pence would ever be on a ticket with him again?
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:24 pm I've lived in Indiana for almost four years now. I run in a more liberal crowd but my distinct impression is that even the overly conservative types that live around here never cared for him much. As governor his record would seem to have pushed all the right political buttons with that crowd but they still didn't like him. My sister-in-law always thought there was something creepy about the guy and I had to agree with her. His head makes me think of a rubber halloween mask for some reason, just a dumb plastic emotionless stare into nothing. A cardboard box has more charisma.

He also had a habit of embarrassing the state from time to time. He completely flubbed the handling of an AIDS outbreak in the southern part of the state. Then he signed into law that anti-gay bill that caught so much flack in the national news. As a result SalesForce decided against a planned expansion of its offices here. The state has lost a couple of high profile bids for big tech operations over the last few years and I think a big part of it is the state's reputation of social intolerance, which Pence helped highlight as governor.

As far as I can tell, he did one good thing as governor, and his base probably hates him for it. He implemented a version of ACA in this state and, while it's not perfect, I can say from personal experience that it works pretty well.
Periods for pence was popular…no?
raison de arizona

too little way too late
Robert Costa @costareports wrote: Pence visited the Heather Heyer memorial today in Charlottesville.

Pence “took a moment today to go down and visit the mall where Heather Heyer was slain, and to sign the wall, where it’s a public plaque in honor of her life and memory,” Marc Short tells @CBSNews.
raison de arizona

You know the drill, bag of dicks, Pence, can eat.
Pence hits Harris over abortion remarks: ‘How dare you?’

Former Vice President Mike Pence blasted Vice President Harris in a speech Thursday over her support of abortion rights as the Supreme Court appears poised to overturn Roe v. Wade.

On Tuesday at an EMILY’s List conference, Harris chastised Republicans who aim to restrict abortions.

“Those Republicans leaders who are trying to weaponize the use of the law against women — how dare they?” she asked. “How dare they tell a woman what she can do and cannot do with her own body? How dare they? How dare they try to stop her from determining her own future? How dare they try to deny women their rights and their freedoms?”

Pence, at a gala for the Carolina Pregnancy Center, responded to Harris’s comments saying “62 million unborn boys and girls ended in abortion” since Roe v. Wade was decided.

“Since 1973, generations of mothers enduring heartbreaking and loss that can last a lifetime. Madame Vice President, how dare you?”
:snippity:
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... -dare-you/
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That last sentence was pulled out of his nether regions. Most women don't regret their abortions.
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:44 pm That last sentence was pulled out of his nether regions. Most women don't regret their abortions.
And even if they did, are we going to outlaw any decision that someone may regret in the future? What would we do with all the tattoo parlors?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:49 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:44 pm That last sentence was pulled out of his nether regions. Most women don't regret their abortions.
And even if they did, are we going to outlaw any decision that someone may regret in the future? What would we do with all the tattoo parlors?
And in some cases, weddings.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:03 am
raison de arizona wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:49 pm
And in some cases, weddings.
Good point, Ben! :rotflmao:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

spare a thought for Mike Pence, who says he now has to pay for his own gas
:violin:
raison de arizona

To be clear, NYT is reporting that the Vice President's chief of staff reached out to the Secret Service on Jan. 5th regarding a threat to the Vice President from... the President.
Before Jan. 6, Aide Warned Secret Service of Security Risk to Pence
New details flesh out how the pressure campaign by Donald J. Trump and his allies to block certification of the 2020 election left the vice president’s staff fearing for his safety.

The day before a mob of President Donald J. Trump’s supporters stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, Vice President Mike Pence’s chief of staff called Mr. Pence’s lead Secret Service agent to his West Wing office.

The chief of staff, Marc Short, had a message for the agent, Tim Giebels: The president was going to turn publicly against the vice president, and there could be a security risk to Mr. Pence because of it.

The stark warning — the only time Mr. Short flagged a security concern during his tenure as Mr. Pence’s top aide — was uncovered recently during research by this reporter for an upcoming book, “Confidence Man: The Making of Donald Trump and the Breaking of America,” to be published in October.
:snippity:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/03/us/p ... jan-6.html
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:22 pm To be clear, NYT is reporting that the Vice President's chief of staff reached out to the Secret Service on Jan. 5th regarding a threat to the Vice President from... the President.
Before Jan. 6, Aide Warned Secret Service of Security Risk to Pence
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/03/us/p ... jan-6.html
To think that within the next few days, there would be people asking, "Who could ever have foreseen----??"
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I was missing the no backbone suck-up to the Trump right Pence. Good to see him back.
101010 :towel:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

If Mike Pence tries to run for president in 2024, I believe he will get, at most, 12 votes.

He's never going to convert any democrats to vote for him. He's never going to convince independents to swing in his direction.

As for the MAGA base, he's completely dead to them.

I don't think that he could be elected to the proverbial dog catcher post.

At best, he can count on his own, his wife's and his kids' votes. That's about it. IMHO, he has absolutely zero political future.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I think I read something, a while ago, that Pence gets big money for his speeches. Keeping himself in the public eye will keep the money coming from speeches. My guess is that he knows that's what he's relegated to, but it's probably enough.
raison de arizona

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:20 am I think I read something, a while ago, that Pence gets big money for his speeches. Keeping himself in the public eye will keep the money coming from speeches. My guess is that he knows that's what he's relegated to, but it's probably enough.
Yup, $100k a pop. He would make half that without teasing a presidential run.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”