Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

General Law and Lawsuits

Volkonski
Verified:

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Volkonski »

Sad to learn that the curse of the Idaho Potato has spread beyond the USA. :( Sure, they are large and cheap but they are really only fit for fast food French fries. They are not what fine potato recipes are made from. :nope:

Hope that one day you will be able to experience a Long Island Potato from the North Fork, the only proper potato. ;)

Of course these days most LI Potatoes are used to make high end vodka and potato chips.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Sam the Centipede

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Oh gosh, yes the perils of uncontrolled names: in Europe many names are protected across the continent and can only be used for the appropriate product from that region made in the designated fashion. So I was caught unaware in Hong Kong when I bought some "Parmesan" but it wasn't the matured hard cheese crafted by the artisan formagiers of the Parmigiano-Reggiano province that I expected but a flabby disappointment compounded by the Australian rubber industry. Bleeugh, almost no umami.

When "champagne" became a protected name, some wine producers from outside the Champagne region labeled their sparkling wines as "Méthode champagnoise", in effect "this is champagne but we're not permitted to call it that, but it's made the same and tastes the same".

That was banned in later tighter regulations. You want champagne-style from Italy, you buy Prosecco, you want champagne-style from Spain, you buy Cava, you want champagne-style from Ireland, you buy Guinness ;) . You want genuine champagne, you get out your credit card and pay double for the label.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by northland10 »

My India Pale Ale (IPA) was brewed in Kalamazoo.

However, fries made out of those inferior Idaho potatoes are called Liberty Fries. Get it right.
101010 :towel:
Sam the Centipede

General Law and Lawsuits

northland10 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:02 am My India Pale Ale (IPA) was brewed in Kalamazoo.

However, fries made out of those inferior Idaho potatoes are called Liberty Fries. Get it right.
IIRC India Pale Ale was brewed in England for export to India; it's not an Indian beer.
northland10

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by northland10 »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:26 am
northland10 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:02 am My India Pale Ale (IPA) was brewed in Kalamazoo.

IIRC India Pale Ale was brewed in England for export to India; it's not an Indian beer.
Yes, you would be correct, but it has India in the name so it worked for my purpose.

But, it is probably safe to say that Bell's (the Kalamazoo brewery that makes my favorite Two-Hearted Ale), Three Floyds, Revolution, and Deschutes Brewery do not make their IPAs for export to India.. so there.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by keith »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:22 am Sad to learn that the curse of the Idaho Potato has spread beyond the USA. :( Sure, they are large and cheap but they are really only fit for fast food French fries. They are not what fine potato recipes are made from. :nope:

Hope that one day you will be able to experience a Long Island Potato from the North Fork, the only proper potato. ;)
Well, we have a 'potato guy' at the South Melbourne Market where we like to go when in South Melbourne. The guy stocks MANY varieties of potato (and other varieties of root veggies too) and is really quite knowledgeable.

But one day I was walking past his shop, and he had a big box labeled "Idaho Potatoes" and I just had to bail him up.

I asked him why he was importing potatoes from America?
He said: "Wha-dya mean? Those potatoes come from Tasmania". (most potatoes in Australia come from Tasmania, and MacDonald's buys most of them).
I told him that "Idaho Potato" is a registered trademark of the Idaho Potato Farmer's Association (or whatever it's called), and those potatoes are actually 'Russet-Burbanks'.
He said "yeah, well, mumble, mumble, I was lazy and most Aussie's don't know a Russet-Burbank from a Pontiac".
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Suranis

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Suranis »

You will be horrified to learn that most Black Forest Gateaux are not baked in the Black Forest.
Hic sunt dracones
Uninformed

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Uninformed »

You will be reassured that Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, the original, is still made in Worcester (pronounced “Wouster”). :biggrin:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Yeah, my father-in-law was named Lester. He was grievously offended that the Brits mangled the spelling of it when they named a city Leicester and pronounced it exactly the same. :lol:
"Life is messy," I said.
She nodded. "Isn't it just?"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/po ... a/3361907/
Pa. House Votes Philly DA in Contempt for Failing to Respond to Subpoena
Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner could potentially be jailed for the contempt vote. A lawyer for the DA called the House vote undemocratic and vowed to fight its legitimacy.

The Pennsylvania House of Representatives voted on Tuesday to hold Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner in contempt of the state legislative body for failing to respond to a subpoena requesting documents from Krasner's office.

The House voted 162-38 to hold him in contempt, including numerous Democrats.

The subpoena stems from an ongoing investigation by a House committee into Krasner and Philadelphia's gun violence epidemic. It is called the House Committee on Restoring Law and Order, which is running in tandem with a Republican-led effort to impeach Krasner.

A lawyer for Krasner called the contempt vote "undemocratic" because he has already submitted a response to the subpoena in a court filing asking a judge to squash it.

"The Subpoena issued to the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office seeks secret grand jury documents and other privileged documents related to a pending murder case involving a former police officer charged with killing a Black man," attorney Michael Satin said. "It interferes with local, democratic rule; and it violates the separation of powers by interfering with the district attorney’s prosecutorial discretion, among other things."

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
KickahaOta

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by KickahaOta »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:33 am A lawyer for Krasner called the contempt vote "undemocratic" because he has already submitted a response to the subpoena in a court filing asking a judge to squash it.
Ah yes, the dreaded Motion to Squash.

(Seriously, I'll allow the reporter that one; they probably got the statement over the phone, and "squash" actually makes sense in context and is delightful.)
Foggy
Dick Tater

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Foggy »

Quash it or squash it, but don't put it in the succotash. :fingerwag:
"Life is messy," I said.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by raison de arizona »

Suranis wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:51 am You will be horrified to learn that most Black Forest Gateaux are not baked in the Black Forest.
I have a bag of Black Forest Gummy Bears sitting in front of me RIGHT NOW and they came from *checks bag* Chicago, IL! *gasp* A hangin' is in order.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Sam the Centipede

General Law and Lawsuits

Off Topic
Foggy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:48 am Yeah, my father-in-law was named Lester. He was grievously offended that the Brits mangled the spelling of it when they named a city Leicester and pronounced it exactly the same. :lol:
Afaik the given name never has extra letters.

Interesting bit of language change. The -cester ending can be derived from several different words meaning settlement or fort. For the latter, it is cognate with names ending -caster (e.g. Lancaster and Chichester), from the Latin castra.

The -caster and -chester endings remain pronounced in the obvious way, but -cester endings have shortened over the centuries unless there is a significant preceding consonant deterring elision. Ooo! I just found a list so I'll quote that:
Alcester → /ˈɒlstə/ or /ˈɔːlstə/
Gloucester → /ˈɡlɒstə(r)/
Worcester → /ˈwʊstə(r)/
Bicester → /ˈbɪstə(r)/
Towcester → /ˈtəʊstə(r)/
Leicester → /ˈlestə(r)/

For those who aren't au fait with the International Phonetic Alphabet, that's roughly Olstuh, Glostuh, Wustuh, Bistuh, Toestuh, Lestuh for non-rhotic accents (accents where lots of "r"s are not pronounced).

The author of the answer could only think of one exception:
Cirencester →/ˈsaɪrənsɛstə/
Allegedly even this can be shortened to/ˈsɪstə/ (pronounced like a female sibling) but I don't know if that's really true. It has a whiff of urban myth.

StackExchange: Are all city names ending in CESTER pronounced as STER?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by keith »

[tweet][/tweet]
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer

General Law and Lawsuits

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:01 pm
Suranis wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:51 am You will be horrified to learn that most Black Forest Gateaux are not baked in the Black Forest.
I have a bag of Black Forest Gummy Bears sitting in front of me RIGHT NOW and they came from *checks bag* Chicago, IL! *gasp* A hangin' is in order.
I have a 6 pound bag of Black Forest Gummy Bears in my pantry where it stays forcing me to walk to my pantry to get some. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Dave from down under »

A jury spared Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz from the death penalty on Thursday for killing 17 people at a Parkland high school in 2018, sending him to prison for the remainder of his life in a decision that left many families of the victims angered, baffled and in tears.

Key points:

Last year, Cruz pleaded guilty to murdering 14 students and three staff members and wounding 17 others
The prosecution case focused on Cruz's planning, the seven minutes in which he fired 140 shots with an AR-15-style semi-automatic rifle, and his escape
Cruz's defence tried to argue he suffered from fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and never had proper treatment for other mental health issues
SamsOvar

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by SamsOvar »

It is surprising to hear such news. Our law sphere is pretty unstable. As for me, it is fair, but only for those who have money to hire a lawyer. Moreover, there are many rules which people even don’t know about. I want our children to study law basics at school to know their rights.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by mojosapien »

Mojo was thrown off a jury earlier this yiargh...so 2022...RIAG vs Fentinyall...because of certain comments overheard in the lounge on this board.

IMNAL. A 3-year reprieve

Get thee to a law school.
Thanks.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
northland10

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by northland10 »

KickahaOta wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:45 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:33 am A lawyer for Krasner called the contempt vote "undemocratic" because he has already submitted a response to the subpoena in a court filing asking a judge to squash it.
Ah yes, the dreaded Motion to Squash.

(Seriously, I'll allow the reporter that one; they probably got the statement over the phone, and "squash" actually makes sense in context and is delightful.)
Oh gourd. Reporters once again not listening clearly to country pumpkins.
Sam the Centipede

General Law and Lawsuits

"Squash" and "quash" are etymologically identical, both derived from the Latin "cassus" (= void) and associated verbs via medieval French. "cassus" is also the root of so-called "Courts of Cassation" in Europe.

Yeah, I know the convention is to "quash" a motion, but "squashing" it hardly changes the semantics.
Foggy
Dick Tater

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
When a judge gets really angry, she can sasquatch a motion, which is like a big monster stomped on it. Very rarely used legal move, dating back to the Sweet Potato Wars. :rockon:
"Life is messy," I said.
Tiredretiredlawyer

General Law and Lawsuits

Oh, Great Gourd! Now we have to add yet another word to the Fogbow Legal Dictionary!
MN-Skeptic

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by MN-Skeptic »

‘Italy’s #1 brand of pasta’ Barilla must face deceptive labeling class action
A federal magistrate judge ruled pasta giant Barilla cannot duck a class action for false and deceptive advertising, finding consumers could be misled by the phrase “Italy’s #1 brand of pasta” and believe its products are actually made in Italy.

Matthew Sinatro and Jessica Prost say they purchased multiple boxes of Barilla spaghetti and angel hair pasta last year because they thought the products were made in Italy from authentic Italian ingredients— a belief reinforced by the replication of the green, red and white colors of the Italian flag on its signature blue box.

While the company originated in the 19th century as a bread and pasta shop in Parma, Italy, Barilla is now headquartered in Illinois and its pastas are made in Iowa and New York with durum wheat sourced from countries other than Italy.

In their lawsuit, Sinatro and Prost say Barilla took advantage of their readiness to pay more for pasta products that look and sound authentically Italian, and falsely tout their products as such while “cutting costs and reaping the financial benefits of manufacturing the products in the United States of America.” Barilla’s ad campaign features a website, Barilla Historical Archive, a Barilla Pasta Museum, and Barilla Academy, which Sinatro and Prost contend were “all designed to promote the brand and company’s Italian identity.”

U.S. Magistrate Judge Donna Ryu ruled Monday that Sinatro and Prost have sufficiently shown they suffered an economic injury because they would not have purchased the pasta had they known it was not made in Italy.

Their lawsuit bears some similarities to a class action consumers brought against King’s Hawaiian, a Los Angeles-based bakery that fended off claims that its packaging gives the mistaken impression its original “Hawaiian” rolls are actually made in Hawaii. Its label prominently features a three-point crown suggestive of the crown of a pineapple and includes “Est. 1950,” and “Hilo, Hawaii,” in reference to the company’s founding.

In nixing the lawsuit at the pleading stage last year, U.S. District Judge Phyllis Hamilton wrote, “The mere use of a geographic reference, including a reference to the company’s historical origin, does not convey a representation about a product’s current origin.”

But Ryu rejected Barilla’s claim that its packaging likewise invokes the company’s roots in a non-misleading way, ruling that the labels at issue in the King’s Hawaiian case “did not explicitly connect their origin to the present day. Nor did the labels exist against the backdrop of a long-standing marketing strategy expressly connected to a particular geographic location.”

Ryu’s ruling allows the case to move forward, absent a bid for injunctive relief because Sinatro and Prost cannot show they would be harmed in the future by Barilla’s alleged misrepresentations “now that they know where the products are manufactured.”
(That's the entire article.)

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”