Religion, Spirituality, Philosophy

Lani

Re: Religion, Spirituality, Philosophy

Post by Lani »

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

roadscholar wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:11 pm
Kate520 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:11 am I live in the community of Ganesha Hills. 😊 It was started in the late 19teens by artists and teachers and scientists in an area where multiple Indian tribes gathered every year for several weeks.

Ganesha is my favorite. I had to live here.

I watched those Joseph Campbell interviews with Bill Moyers and thought I had died and gone to heaven. They’ve recently taken all his lectures off of iTunes. I had yet to find them again. Audible, you say? Hurrah!
These are the titles I currently have in my Audible library (not all of them finished):

The Power of Myth: Programs 1-6

The Wisdom of Joseph Campbell

Primitive Mythology: The Masks of God Series

A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the Art of Living

The Flight of the Wild Gander: Explorations in the Mythological Dimension*

The Hero's Journey: Joseph Campbell on His Life and Work

Thou Art That: Transforming Religious Metaphor

*This one is concise, poetic, erudite and magnificent. Tat tvam asi!
"The Masks Of God" is, in my humble opinion, without doubt, one of the masterpieces of 20th Century English language literature.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Lani

Post by Lani »

Love Joseph Campbell. He spent his last days in Manoa, and he died just after I moved to Hawaii. I've told my story before about my encounter with Ganesha. Campbell gave me the understanding of the quest.I miss him so much!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

WWJD? This pastor knows, he'd start killing non-Trumpers. Literally. TN.
Pro-Trump pastor: God is going to ‘begin killing wicked men and women’ who opposed Trump

During a “Let Freedom Ring” rally on Independence Day in Tennessee, right-wing pastor Kent Christmas declared that God told him Donald Trump would win the 2016 election as well as 2020, adding that Trump won in 2020 “by about 80 million votes.”
:snippity:
“And there is a death release from God that’s getting ready to hit the wicked—I’m not talking about spiritual death, I’m talking about natural death—that God is going to begin to kill wicked men and women in this nation that have stood and opposed the authority of the Holy Ghost.”
https://deadstate.org/pro-trump-pastor- ... sed-trump/
Disturbing video at link.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I stand and oppose the authority of the Holy Ghost.

Come at me, bro. :boxing:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:57 pm I stand and oppose the authority of the Holy Ghost.

Come at me, bro. :boxing:
Gosh, you are asking for it. The divinity of the Holy Trinity has been challenged. Hope you are enjoying your beach visit... :P Surfs up!

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

covfefe wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:58 pm WWJD? This pastor knows, he'd start killing non-Trumpers. Literally. TN.
Look them up. The "church" is nothing but the husband and wife. They don't have their own facility and though they have an in-person service on Sunday afternoon (that appears to have people if the video is correct), there is nothing about the other people in their church. Nothing about children or adult formation, nothing about who is leading the church, besides the husband and wife team, and nothing about being involved. It is their personal ministry grift.

He preaches to get the attention of an audience and nothing more. On that basis, he will say whatever he wants.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

video at the link
Oneida: The 'free-love utopia' that chased immortality

24 SEPTEMBER 2020|HISTORY

Most Americans today associate the name Oneida with fine silverware, yet very few know how it began life as a radical 19th Century religious experiment in free-love, whose members believed polyamory was key to the pursuit of immortality.
Video by Maria Badia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reel/video/p08sbb ... mmortality
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion ... se-report/
Leaders in the Southern Baptist Convention on Sunday released a major third-party investigation that found that sex abuse survivors were often ignored, minimized and “even vilified” by top clergy in the nation’s largest Protestant denomination.

The findings of nearly 300 pages include shocking new details about specific abuse cases and shine a light on how denominational leaders for decades actively resisted calls for abuse prevention and reform. They also lied to Southern Baptists over whether they could maintain a database of offenders to prevent more abuse when top leaders were secretly keeping a private list for years.

The report — the first investigation of its kind in a massive Protestant denomination like the SBC — is expected to send shock waves into a conservative Christian community that has had intense internal battles over how to handle sex abuse. The 13 million-member denomination, along with other religious institutions in the United States, has struggled with declining membership for the past 15 years. Its leaders have long resisted comparisons between its sexual abuse crisis and that of the Catholic Church, saying the total number of abuse cases among Southern Bapitists was small.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:30 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion ... se-report/
Leaders in the Southern Baptist Convention on Sunday released a major third-party investigation that found that sex abuse survivors were often ignored, minimized and “even vilified” by top clergy in the nation’s largest Protestant denomination.

The findings of nearly 300 pages include shocking new details about specific abuse cases and shine a light on how denominational leaders for decades actively resisted calls for abuse prevention and reform. They also lied to Southern Baptists over whether they could maintain a database of offenders to prevent more abuse when top leaders were secretly keeping a private list for years.

The report — the first investigation of its kind in a massive Protestant denomination like the SBC — is expected to send shock waves into a conservative Christian community that has had intense internal battles over how to handle sex abuse. The 13 million-member denomination, along with other religious institutions in the United States, has struggled with declining membership for the past 15 years. Its leaders have long resisted comparisons between its sexual abuse crisis and that of the Catholic Church, saying the total number of abuse cases among Southern Bapitists was small.
Shocked,. shocked I tell you . . . Actually I'm not, and that's a pity. Angry and saddened for sure though.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.rawstory.com/pope-francis-s ... communion/
Pope Francis on Sunday sent the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) a clear and strong rebuke by elevating the Bishop of San Diego to Cardinal, just days after the Archbishop of San Francisco's repeated and very public attack against Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.

Not only did Cordileone, a right-wing activist who has refused to be vaccinated against COVID-19, ban Speaker Pelosi from taking communion, he did so extremely publicly. Cordileone went as far as to post his letter to Pelosi on Twitter, calling her stance on abortion a “most serious scandal,” and a “grave evil.” He then appeared on EWTN, a Catholic news cable network to defend his decision, and even posted that interview on social media. Seven days after his very public rebuke of Pelosi, he again chastised her on Twitter, writing that she "has strong opinions on what the Church teaches but she is wrong. And that is part of why I had to act."

Pope Francis has made clear no one should be banned from communion, certainly not for political reasons.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-mass-shoo ... /11928387/

we may need a new topic "Christian" nationalism...which is all the rage in the past 8 weeks...especially with MasterIano around
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

mojosapien wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:46 am https://6abc.com/philadelphia-mass-shoo ... /11928387/

we may need a new topic "Christian" nationalism...which is all the rage in the past 8 weeks...especially with MasterIano around
I like the term Christianists.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

When your God is a gun, the love of God won’t live long in you. - Andy Pavlovitz
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2022/06/23/po ... ish-files/

ROME (AP) — Pope Francis has ordered the online publication of 170 volumes of its Jewish files from the recently opened Pope Pius XII archives, the Vatican announced Thursday, amid renewed debate about the legacy of its World War II-era pope.

The documentation contains 2,700 files of requests for Vatican help from Jewish groups and families, many of them baptized Catholics, so not actually practicing Jews anymore. The files were held in the Secretariat of State’s archives and contain requests for papal intervention to avoid Nazi deportation, to obtain liberation from concentration camps or help finding family members.

The online publication of the files comes amid renewed debate about Pius’ legacy following the 2020 opening to scholars of his archives, of which the “Jews” files are but a small part. The Vatican has long defended Pius against criticism from some Jewish groups that he remained silent in the face of the Holocaust, saying he used quiet diplomacy to save lives.

One recent book that cites the newly opened archives, “The Pope at War,” by Pulitzer Prize-winning historian David Kertzer, suggests that the people the Vatican was most concerned about saving were Jews who had converted to Catholicism, the offspring of Catholic-Jewish mixed marriages or otherwise related to Catholics.

Kertzer asserts that Pius was loath to intervene on behalf of Jews, or make public denunciations of Nazi atrocities against them, to avoid antagonizing Adolf Hitler or Italy’s Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini.

The Vatican’s foreign minister Paul Gallagher said it was hoped that the digital release of the “Jews” files would help scholars with research, but also descendants of those who had requested Vatican help, to “find traces of their loved ones from any part of the world.”

In an article for the Vatican newspaper L’Osservatore Romano, Gallagher said the files contained requests for help, but without much information on outcomes.

“Each of these requests constituted a case which, once processed, was destined for storage in a documentary series entitled ‘Jews,’” he wrote.

“The requests would arrive at the Secretariat of State, where diplomatic channels would try to provide all the help possible, taking into account the complexity of the political situation in the global context,” Gallagher wrote.

He cited one case found in the files: A Jew who was baptized Catholic in 1938, Werner Barasch, who sought help from the pope in 1942 to be freed from a concentration camp in Spain. According to the archives, his request was forwarded to the Vatican embassy in Madrid, but the documentation then went cold.

“As for the majority of requests for help witnessed by other cases, the result of the request was not reported,” Gallagher wrote. “In our hearts we immediately inevitably hope for a positive outcome, the hope that Werner Barasch was later freed from the concentration camp and was able to reach his mother overseas.”

Subsequent online research, including at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, found that Barasch did indeed survive and was able to join his mother in the United States in 1945, Gallagher reported.

Associated Press

Published 23 June 2022

Pope.jpg
Pope.jpg (131 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Hic sunt dracones
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

We have submitted a bid to produce an exact copy of the first Tabernacle from the first Catholic church in the English colonies.

ED744ABD-862B-4DA8-BEC3-DD734C506B95.jpeg
ED744ABD-862B-4DA8-BEC3-DD734C506B95.jpeg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 576 times
It is to be reproduced as closely as possible, but as it likely appeared new in ~1667. And then the viewable surfaces get completely water-gilt and burnished, as the materials researchers determined was the original treatment.

It will go in the reconstructed church in southern Maryland within whose footprint the lead coffins containing the Calvert family (who worshipped there) were located some years back.

809D0D1D-F5B8-498D-AAD7-18CD7C9E05A4.jpeg
809D0D1D-F5B8-498D-AAD7-18CD7C9E05A4.jpeg (66.19 KiB) Viewed 576 times
Charles Carroll (“the Settler”) grabbed the Tabernacle before a Protestant mob demolished the church in 1715. It is usually on display at the museum in the Baltimore Basilica, but due to construction we had to inspect it at st. Mary’s Seminary here.

5949CAE9-B878-4C74-8758-1164F33C3861.jpeg
5949CAE9-B878-4C74-8758-1164F33C3861.jpeg (38.96 KiB) Viewed 576 times
00F255EC-6F11-4518-BE31-4740EB5C6FAD.jpeg
00F255EC-6F11-4518-BE31-4740EB5C6FAD.jpeg (31.87 KiB) Viewed 576 times
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Good luck with your bid.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Didn't know where to put this
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:49 pm Didn't know where to put this
Bahahahahaha! Surprise!
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:07 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:49 pm Didn't know where to put this
Bahahahahaha! Surprise!
I sure as hell wasn't surprised
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
northland10

Post by northland10 »

My shocked look. :bored:

So he goes through some "spiritual restoration" process and so is "cured." Now he can go back to the place where he fell to temptation and it will be all good. What a bunch of BS. No wonder they think they can pray away the gay. They think magic words and incantations will fix all their ills.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Some interesting tidbits here.
Ryan Burge 📊 @ryanburge wrote: What religious group do Americans like the least?
Scientology.
Followed closely by Satanism.

But there are some surprises - people are more likely to feel unfavorable toward LDS than atheists (42% vs 38%).

Folks like Buddhism (35%) more than Hinduism (23%).
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Interesting chart. It sort of feels right. Part of it is that people probably don't really know details of some groups. As much as we like to go out to Amish country and find things about it that are outwardly charming, internally there are a lot of serious problems.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

oooh..... look they hate Jews 3% more than the hate Jews -(See original image on twitter)
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”