Devin Nunes

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
bob

Re: Devin Nunes

Post by bob »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:28 pm Have all his court cases been resolved
No.
or is a disaster looming at the horizon?
Nunes can see that he's going to redistricted out of a safe seat.

But leaving at the end of this year (versus serving until this term expires in 2023) is ... curious.
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

June bug wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:20 pm So the bastard either leaves his district without a representative for a year or he causes the expense of a special election. Why doesn’t that surprise me?
Haven’t they been without representation by choice for years?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I think he should look at expanding that media's org staff really quickly. I can suggest some hires for his org:

MTG
Gaetz
That moron in Colorado
Cawthorn
Gosar
Gym

I would add Louis Goober to the list but I don't know if he will still run for Congress while running for AG. He may run himself out of a job in the process. If he does not, we still need at least one to mock.
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

The cynic in me says I'll believe it when I see it. A personal announcement to the general public isn't exactly an official resignation. Who's to say he won't change his mind or blame the 2021 on a typo that should have said 2022 or any one of a number of other transparent excuses for backtracking? Not to mention there is the possibility things can change with the media giant he's joining. I just cast a jaundiced eye towards anything these fuckwits say that looks like a good move on their part. I don't trust them even a little bit.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Probably wise, Sugar M. :think:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
filly

Post by filly »

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

humblescribe wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:28 pm OK,

So he grows up in Tulare County on a dairy farm. Lotsa Portuguese dairy farmers in that part of the state. Bounces around local politics for a few years and then bursts onto the national scene as a representative 20 years ago.

And this somehow qualifies him to run this media organization? There is more to this story, redistricting or not.

:nope:
If it is, in fact, the Trump media organization, we all know that the only real qualification to work for Trump is unswerving loyalty and ass-kissing.

So, Devin Nunes is eminently qualified.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

And I'll add: a passion for telling lies and betraying his country for power.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

So he grows up in Tulare County on a dairy farm. Lotsa Portuguese dairy farmers in that part of the state. Bounces around local politics for a few years and then bursts onto the national scene as a representative 20 years ago.

And this somehow qualifies him to run this media organization? There is more to this story, redistricting or not.

It's a tRump organization. The only qualification you need is the willingness to use his excrement as a facial mask.
Jim

Post by Jim »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:32 pm

It's a tRump organization. The only qualification you need is the willingness to use his excrement as a facial mask.
And then of course the willingness to be thrown under the bus when Trump screws it up.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:30 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:28 pm Have all his court cases been resolved
No.
or is a disaster looming at the horizon?
Nunes can see that he's going to redistricted out of a safe seat.

But leaving at the end of this year (versus serving until this term expires in 2023) is ... curious.
I would assume it's so that he can legitimately say he didn't lose the election in '22, at some point in the future. He's 'winning' by choosing not to participate in the 'corrupt show'. Or something.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:41 pmI would assume it's so that he can legitimately say he didn't lose the election in '22, at some point in the future. He's 'winning' by choosing not to participate in the 'corrupt show'. Or something.
Nunes could not stand for re-election, serve out his current term, leave in January 2023, and still declare himself a not-loser.

So leaving early (purportedly to head to a corporation already under investigation before it has launched) is ... curious.
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:45 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:41 pmI would assume it's so that he can legitimately say he didn't lose the election in '22, at some point in the future. He's 'winning' by choosing not to participate in the 'corrupt show'. Or something.
Nunes could not stand for re-election, serve out his current term, leave in January 2023, and still declare himself a not-loser.

So leaving early (purportedly to head to a corporation already under investigation before it has launched) is ... curious.
Maybe he wants to get in on the early grift then while there's still the chance of some cash coming his way? :shrug:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

By gum, if'n the CEO of a billion dollar corporation can't steal from it, who will? :think:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

I think that Trump looks at Nunes as a huge plus -- Trump believes, truly believes, that his new company is going to destroy Google, Facebook, and every news station/blog/etc. And Nunes has already proven his loyalty, so Trump wants him as the head of this new global force, plus this means that Trump doesn't actually have to pretend to do work, much less actually do any work. Win win for all -- except those stupid right wing nut jobs that buy stock in the retail market -- SUCKERS.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I got a fundraising email just now asking me to help elect a Democrat to Nunes' district. Email said special election is scheduled for April. I have no idea whether this info is accurate.
bob

Post by bob »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:54 pm I got a fundraising email just now asking me to help elect a Democrat to Nunes' district. Email said special election is scheduled for April. I have no idea whether this info is accurate.
It is presumed the special primary election will be held in April, so the special general election can be wrapped into the general primary election in June.

But there's been no announcement yet.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:yeahthat:
:snippity:
Congressional seats must be filled through elections, per the U.S. Constitution, meaning that Nunes’ seat would need to be filled with either a special election or remain vacated until it is filled in the 2022 midterm elections.

Under California law, the governor must call a special election within two weeks of the vacancy for a primary that would occur within 20 weeks and, later, a general election, meaning the seat would not be filled until the summer at earliest.

The news comes amid this round of redistricting, the process by which legislative boundaries are redrawn, in which early maps were unfavorable to Nunes. His current district would turn from having voted for Trump in 2020 by five percentage points to one that backed President Joe Biden by nine.
:snippity:
https://www.fresnobee.com/news/politics ... 84307.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

That's great. I hope CA redistricting can counterbalance Ohio's grim news.
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:22 pm That's great. I hope CA redistricting can counterbalance Ohio's grim news.
California re-districting is by a bi-partisan commission, not by the Legislature, so it will not be as gerrymandered as it could be.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

GOP Rep. Devin Nunes announced he will leave the House to become CEO of Trump's media company.

It "shows how corrupting the current incentive structure can be inside a political party that has become a cult of personality,"
@JohnAvlon
says. #RealityCheck
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I applied for a position on the Citizen Redistricting Committee. Needless to say, I didn’t make the cut. ;)
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:27 pm I applied for a position on the Citizen Redistricting Committee. Needless to say, I didn’t make the cut. ;)
Yeah, me too.

I gleaned from my rejection notice that I did not do enough volunteer work.

It was an interesting experience, though.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:bunny: :cheer2: :groupdance: :mbounce: :bar:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Current Politics”