Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Afghanistan

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Afghanistan

Post by Phoenix520 »

Like it or not, that’s how MOST of the world sees us. :shrug:

And while we’re on the subject, you measure things wrong.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:22 pm I don't know who to attribute this to but it went something like this: Those who learn from history are doomed to watch those who don't repeat it.
This is a satisfying twist on the well known aphorism.

I'll be quoting this today and hereafter.

Thanks!

:bighug:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Off Topic
FRP let me be blunt.

People post pages of the US Catholic Bishops being asses about Joe Biden and Communion, and somehow there isn't a word from me. I wonder why that was? Thats saying bad things about the CC and I dint say a dicky bird.

People accuse me of being a Pedophile, and that only my religion is responsible for abuses, and that nothing has been done for 30 odd years. And when I bring up the actual statistics, such as with that Canadian Situation, I get told I'm just covering up for the Pedophiles and abusers in my religion, and therefore I'm lying, and a pedophile enabler. Then I get angry.

Having people say I said stuff I never said and ignoring when I bring up true facts just to stick with the insults as though I hadn't said anything infuriates me.

"But you can deny that Priests diddled Kids therefore what your saying is eeeeeevil!!" Ya, I don't. Who does? The only report on Priestly abuse was commissioned by the Catholic Church itself. Figure that one out.

And what the fuck is that Bullshit about me supporting the Fucking IRA? I just said there were terrorists blowing people up. If I was a Ra head I would be screaming if anyone called them terrorists. I've known Ra heads that did just that.Toichaigh Ar My Arse.

The Ra are drug dealing scumbags, and thank you dumb ass Americans for sending over millions for "the Struggle." Lots of holidays in Barbados, and big cars were paid for by your stupid fucking asses supporting the Irish Mafia "for Freedumb."

You don't like what I just said about the Greatest Country on Earth, and then try and turn it around to incorrectly abuse me of being a fanatic and therefore my opinion does not matter. I'm sorry but that's just avoiding the issue. You never dealt with it at all. You are a country that is surrounded by water and allied with 18 of the top 20 military powers on Earth, and yet you behave like you are next door to fucking Godzilla, and armed only with a water pistol.

That's how people see the USA. No-one gives a fuck about 11/9 because you rode that unity of the world and pissed on it. You are the only country that does that stupid date thing, your stupid gun crap and God knows what else I could talk about. If you cant deal with it, that's not my problem.

That was waaaay more than I wanted to type. Sorry All. I'll go back to being non angry now.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Nobody has ever called you a pedophile on Fogbow.

And the things you accuse Americans of are almost 100% things that we don't support or believe, here on the Fogbow.

Are you on the right website for this juvenile tantrum? Doesn't look like it to me.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I would have called it immature, not Juvenile. :mrgreen:
Hic sunt dracones
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Suranis wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:45 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:22 pm I don't know who to attribute this to but it went something like this: Those who learn from history are doomed to watch those who don't repeat it.
You can attribute it to me. I said it in a faceboob post a while back. It wouldn't surprise me if someone else said something similar before I did but I wasn't copying anyone that I know of.

And I used to say this as well abd I probably should go back go repeating it - America has been surrounded by a gigantic moat where no-one can attack you directly. You have been shielded from everyone else and have been poking everyone with a sharp stick from your lofty pillar while your centers of production are nice and safe. O live less than 200 miles from Belfast where really real terrorists ere blowing people up for 20 years. If you were that close to Terrrrrrsts you people would shit yourself.

But for some reason you are only comfortable when you feel under threat of attack. How long have people thought the Chinese army was in Canada ready to attack while Isis has bases in mexico ready to attack. Deep down you ot know you are completely safe, but the guilt of it makes you imagine threats so you are on the level of everyone else.

The few times someone has actually hit your mainland with something you expect the entire world to Kneel and behold the extreme tragedy of it all. Pearl harbour wasn't close to the first air attack on a harbour, similar attacks had happened in Italy, London and France.

The 11th of September was pretty serious but it wasn't the first time planes had been crashed into cities, and the nauseous "9/11 anniversary" documentaries have started to wave YOUR terrorist attack to a world that increasingly rolls its eyes. You think the city of Birmingham has big celebrations every anniversary of the Birmingham bombings? I'll say it - Fuck 11/9. I'm sick of hearing about it and I don't care.

Oh. and for the love of God will you start putting the Date in front of the month like the rest of the goddam planet?
WTF is wrong with you? You attack someone like Slim? You got some issues, man.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I didn't attack Slim, or anyone else.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Is there a full moon or something? Did you suffer a debilitating attack of some kind? I'm gonna delete every post that isn't about AFGHANISTAN. Let's all take a deep breath and chill, yesno?
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

👍
Image Image Image Image
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I often wonder how the USA can have so many people like those on the Fogbow and the multitude of groupings that I find variously so extremely, odd, bigoted, racist, warmongering, gullible, and perversions of what I have always thought was Christian morality. The USA is by no means unique in this but as they say “things are bigger and better in America”. I suppose as has been mentioned previously this is partly a function of being a “remote” continent along with being so vast (Oregon is bigger than the UK), along with being a “new world”.

In contrast, I still feel that the USA being such a wealthy, powerful country with such an abundance of natural wonders has (as Joe Biden says) great potential to truly be the country its founders supposedly desired. If America loses its way the rest of the world is likely to follow.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well we are all stressed out about wars and Covid and all this other stuff, so the occasional acting like a fucking idiot is going to happen.

And the moon phase today is Waning Gibbous. :bag:
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:17 pm Anti-American rant much, Suranis? :bored:
I doin't know, I think that was a pretty fair summary and frames how the US views afghanistan.. I can recall years ago reading a comic with anthropomorphic countries, with america being beautiful and powerful, but flies into a dramatic rage at every papercut because she couldn't handle anything happening to her lilly white skin.

Except for the month/day vs day/month thing. Day/month drives me crazy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

The date/month thing doesn't bother me, it's just another way to say the same thing. Like soda or pop. But it's embarrassing we never did the metric thing. Carter tried. I can convert cm to inches close enough in my head but I'm totally lost at kg or km.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

I grew up with converting from imperial to metric.

So can work with both.

But metric is easier.

US gallons and month/day/year…
Are Just weird…

Edit
In July 1974, Australia changed all its units of measurement to the metric system as part of a staged process of metrification. Because of this all the road speed signs and the legal speed limits had to be changed from miles per hour to kilometres per hour.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

neeneko wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:01 am
Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:17 pm Anti-American rant much, Suranis? :bored:
I doin't know, I think that was a pretty fair summary and frames how the US views afghanistan.. I can recall years ago reading a comic with anthropomorphic countries, with america being beautiful and powerful, but flies into a dramatic rage at every papercut because she couldn't handle anything happening to her lilly white skin.

Except for the month/day vs day/month thing. Day/month drives me crazy.
Look, I'm fine with the parody of America and Americans being thin-skinned. We are. But September 11th was an unprecedented act of terror, broadcast on live television for all the world to see. The purpose of terrorism is to terrorize, and guess what? Junior in high school FRP, watching a couple thousand people get vaporized from a classroom on a Tuesday morning was pretty fucking terrorized. To compare that to a "papercut" or "real" terrorist attacks in Belfast is ludicrous. 9/11 killed as many people in a few hours as died in multiple decades of The Troubles.

I'm as convinced as anyone that the twenty year long occupation of Afghanistan was stupid and accomplished basically nothing, but the bad comparisons have got to stop, along with the cheap and easy cracks about Americans overreacting. The Brits invaded Afghanistan (twice!) in the 19th Century because they thought the Russians might possibly some day go there and start meddling with their precious India. That was overreacting. I remember the morning after 9/11. If George Bush had gone on TV that day and announced he'd just ordered an ICBM strike to nuke Kabul, no one would have said a thing in opposition.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Dave from down under

Yes 9/11 was horrific.

But nuking Kabul would have been pure evil.

As it was - most of the world was horrified and sympathetic.

Look at the support for going after AK and then the lies that took us into Iraq.. and 20 years of war.
Dave from down under

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-30/ ... /100419106

Rockets have struck a neighbourhood near Kabul's international airport amid the ongoing US withdrawal from Afghanistan. It wasn't immediately clear who launched them.

The rockets struck Monday morning in Kabul's Salim Karwan neighbourhood, witnesses said.

Gunfire immediately followed the explosions but it wasn't immediately clear who was responsible.

The witnesses, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals, said they heard the sound of three explosions and then saw a flash in the sky. People fled after the blasts, they said.

US officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

US military cargo planes continued their evacuations at the airport after the rocket fire.
Dave from down under

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-08- ... /100419106

US anti-missile defences have intercepted as many as five rockets fired at Kabul's airport early, a US official has said, as the United States rushes to complete its withdrawal from Afghanistan to end its longest war.

Key points:

An official says US defences intercepted multiple rockets that were fired at Kabul's airport on Monday
The White House says the President has been briefed on a rocket attack at Kabul airport and "operations continue uninterrupted"
The US and allies have so far evacuated 114,400 people
The US is hurrying to evacuate its remaining citizens and at-risk Afghans before completing its own withdrawal by Tuesday to meet a deadline agreed between the Taliban and Washington.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:41 am
If George Bush had gone on TV that day and announced he'd just ordered an ICBM strike to nuke Kabul, no one would have said a thing in opposition.
I think you are wrong on that, my friend. Nuke? No. :nope: :fingerwag: Maybe a MOAB if we knew precisely where Osama bin Laden was.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“LIVE US completes withdrawal from Afghanistan”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-58279900
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Tempers are flaring on Twitter, Trumpers are going out of their minds over just anything. We're watching movies and Hawaii Five 0 (up to Season 7, :dance: we're loving the show with all the antique telecommunications equipment and "computers"). There are several episodes about Pearl Harbor and other military operations, it's really incredible how "quaint" it all looks and feels. Social media is a curse.

Richard Marx and Scott Baio (Chachi from Happy Days) have been getting into it... ETA: Now it's getting press. https://uproxx.com/viral/scott-baio-ric ... ghanistan/

Marx Chachi.JPG
Marx Chachi.JPG (85.68 KiB) Viewed 1542 times

New: Round 2!

Marx Chachi 2.JPG
Marx Chachi 2.JPG (89.17 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

Nancy Sinatra:

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Lani

Post by Lani »

I don't know what to say about this. I was horrified when we invaded. Just glad it's over.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

When I read yesterday the last plane had left, I thought I'd feel happier but I still was very sad. Relieved, but sad.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”