Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Sarah Louise Palin + Todd Trig Bristol Willow Track & Hunky Levi Johnston

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
slq

Re: Sarah Louise Palin + Todd Trig Bristol Willow Track & Hunky Levi Johnston

Post by slq »

TheNewSaint wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:11 pm
Lani wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:46 pmNothing in the article says the child was unaccompanied.
No, but it implied it pretty loudly. The alternative is that this 8-year-old was somehow faster on the draw and more accurate in a life-threatening situation than adult members of her party. The article makes no mention of that.
The post does not imply she was alone, it clearly indicates her mother was watching her. And your alternate assumption that they were attacked by a bear and the girl saved them is ridiculous. The reason you make these erroneous assumptions is because you do not understand hunting. At all.

The post congratulates the girl for being careful and controlled in her shooting, which is apparently what she was taught. Hunting bear is not a life-threatening situation. Rifles shoot from a long distance. The adults in her party gave her the shot when this particular bear was spotted. I guarantee you that is what happened. Two people in a hunting party never shoot at the same animal. They signal to each other who is going to take that particular shot. This is out of courtesy as well as safety. The girl was on the trip so she could attempt to make a shot, and they gave her this opportunity.

They weren't attacked by a bear. [I would insert the ROFL emoji here, but that would be rude.] They were on a planned bear hunt, most likely with a tag they drew for, for a specific date range, much earlier in the year. You're showing your ignorance again.

ETA: If you want to learn a bit about hunting bear in Alaska, here's a link: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... ortunities From that link:
Brown/Grizzly Bear Hunting in Alaska
Hunting OpportunitiesDraw Hunts
Most drawing hunts are available to residents and nonresidents. Drawing hunts require an application fee and are awarded by lottery. The application period for drawing hunts is during November and December. Visit the Draw Information and Hunt Supplements pages for further information.
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

slq wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 pm They weren't attacked by a bear. They were on a planned bear hunt, most likely with a tag they drew for, for a specific date range, much earlier in the year. You're showing your ignorance again.
Listen I get your point and to some degree I agree, but just because they are hunting with a tag they drew for doesn't make it right. The trophy hunts the Trump boys participated in were fully legal AFAIK and I still think it is bullshit, and I get that the money for the tags is often (always?) used for conservation. I'm a lot more forgiving understanding towards indigenous peoples than I am towards random white folk as it being part of their heritage, and I suppose since she is planning to make bear hot dogs and sausage and not let it go to waste that is better. And she'll get the skull on her shelf and the rug on her floor.

Don't call me ignorant, explain to me why your average modern white family should have their eight year olds out hunting bear.

:mrgreen: Respectfully submitted w/ a couple cocktails.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
slq

Post by slq »

covfefe wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:32 pm
slq wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 pm They weren't attacked by a bear. They were on a planned bear hunt, most likely with a tag they drew for, for a specific date range, much earlier in the year. You're showing your ignorance again.
Listen I get your point and to some degree I agree, but just because they are hunting with a tag they drew for doesn't make it right. The trophy hunts the Trump boys participated in were fully legal AFAIK and I still think it is bullshit, and I get that the money for the tags is often (always?) used for conservation. I'm a lot more forgiving understanding towards indigenous peoples than I am towards random white folk as it being part of their heritage, and I suppose since she is planning to make bear hot dogs and sausage and not let it go to waste that is better. And she'll get the skull on her shelf and the rug and her floor.

Don't call me ignorant, explain to me why your average modern white family should have their eight year olds out hunting bear.

:mrgreen: Respectfully submitted w/ a couple cocktails.
Respect to you, too. I'm not saying you don't have a right to your opinion about the morals/ethics of hunting. You certainly do. But that wasn't what Saint was talking about. That wasn't the conversation.

My comments were aimed at Saint's erroneous information and snarky, condescending attack about an instagram post where he clearly doesn't understand what happens when you go hunting, and when you go hunting with kids. I do understand that because I grew up in it.

This isn't a many-thousands-of-dollars paid guide type of hunting. This is a family getting up before dawn to travel to the area they have a permit, hunt, and return home (or camp in the wilderness for a day or two.) It happens every day in rural areas during the hunting season. Members of my family do it and have done it for generations. Then, it was to survive. It still helps with the grocery bill.

I'm not going to comment on the morals/ethics of hunting. As I said, I don't hunt because I've never been able to conceive of killing an animal. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to do so if my family needed food, just like I wouldn't hesitate to grow a garden if I had the land to do it. I would home can my harvest and make jelly. I grew up knowing how to do all those things. I sew. I cook from scratch. What I will say is that in my family, hunting was part of our culture and we ate what we killed. It definitely helped with our grocery budget and feeding our family. It was also an outdoor family activity.

The permits, and their number each year, are carefully done to control the herd(s). I suspect there would be many more bear and moose attacks if there was no hunting. I suspect many more animals would starve. There's a balance.
--Yoda
raison de arizona

:thumbsup: Thx for that, I suspect you and I see much more eye to eye on this than I first thought.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
slq

Post by slq »

covfefe wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:52 pm :thumbsup: Thx for that, I suspect you and I see much more eye to eye on this than I first thought.
:bighug:
--Yoda
Lani

Post by Lani »

[Y]our average modern white family
In rural areas, the average white families (and every other color of family) hunt and fish for food and teach their children how to do it safely.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
slq

Post by slq »

Lani wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:54 pm
in rural areas might surprise you. Families hunt and fish for food. Families & friends also enjoy their comradery and successes.
:yeahthat:
--Yoda
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

slq wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 pm snarky, condescending attack about an instagram post where he clearly doesn't understand what happens when you go hunting, and when you go hunting with kids. I do understand that because I grew up in it.
Well, I grew up with a father who enjoyed shooting rifles and taught his children how to do it. Here's what he taught us about what happens when you go hunting with kids:

1. Leave the kids at home.

My brother and I, as children, were only allowed to shoot at targets only. We would never have been allowed anywhere near a live hunt. Not even when we were high school age and had experience. Not even for wild turkeys or other non-dangerous animals. So I find this all a bit foolhardy. And I still question why an 8-year-old needs to go on a bear hunt at all. And why they need to take the shot if adults are present.
So, please don't scoff at other peoples' culture
I wasn't scoffing at anyone's culture. I was scoffing at one particular family who seems to be trying way too hard to embrace a culture that's incongruous with who they are and what they do. I'll admit that I may have hasty and judgmental. I didn't mean to insult you, and I'm sorry if you felt slighted because of it. I'll back down. Truce?
raison de arizona

slq wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:57 pm
Lani wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:54 pm
in rural areas might surprise you. Families hunt and fish for food. Families & friends also enjoy their comradery and successes.
:yeahthat:
Eh. I grew up four months of every year (my father was a college professor) on my grandfather’s farm. It was pretty rural, a mile to the nearest neighbors, a dozen to the nearest town (about 700 people) and there wasn’t really any hunting and fishing for food, just for sport.

But point taken.

(Which by the way isn’t meant to say that they didn’t use what they hunted, they definitely did.)
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

slq wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:46 pm
I’m not going to repeat your long post, but I agree with every word. I come from a family of hunters. My grandkids hunted with long rifles when they were 8. My grandson, who is now 13, is equally competent with a rifle, crossbow, compound bow, and recurve bow.

Hesitating, then regrouping, doesn’t mean she was in danger. It means she was unsure of her shot. There wasn’t anything in Sunny’s post that caused me any concern, especially given that this was Alaska where subsistence living is a way of life for more of the population (I know, because I used to live there). We make sausage and stew out of bear, moose, elk, and deer.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
slq

Post by slq »

TheNewSaint wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:16 pm I wasn't scoffing at anyone's culture. I was scoffing at one particular family who seems to be trying way too hard to embrace a culture that's incongruous with who they are and what they do. I'll admit that I may have hasty and judgmental. I didn't mean to insult you, and I'm sorry if you felt slighted because of it. I'll back down. Truce?
Thanks. Truce.

But if you look through Sunny's IG, you see the family is consistently a very outdoorsy family, hiking, hunting, fishing, kayaking, snowmachining, ATVing, motorbiking, etc. You may not know that.

But some of us do know that because we were watching Sarah Palin and her extended family back when she first hockey-mom-ed her way into the spotlight. Sarah Palin very much contributed to the place we now find ourselves, divided, with half the country celebrating snarkiness and rudeness, and having suffered the January 6 insurrection. I've watched as Levi survived horrific attacks by Sarah and Bristol (Bristol's awful reality show and the behavior that it revealed). I've watched as Sunny came into the picture and they grew their family. (Though I haven't looked at anything related to them for quite some time.) They are the better side of the Palin story. They are who they say they are, and they are rural and Alaskan.

What you saw in that post is the real deal, and part of their long-time culture just as it was part of mine. I suppose that's what irked me. What that IG post represents is a culture I still identify with. And to see the Palinesque snarkiness and rudeness turned on that, without knowing anything about their lives, was hurtful.
--Yoda
slq

Post by slq »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:27 pm
slq wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:46 pm
I’m not going to repeat your long post, but I agree with every word. I come from a family of hunters. My grandkids hunted with long rifles when they were 8. My grandson, who is now 13, is equally competent with a rifle, crossbow, compound bow, and recurve bow.

Hesitating, then regrouping, doesn’t mean she was in danger. It means she was unsure of her shot. There wasn’t anything in Sunny’s post that caused me any concern, especially given that this was Alaska where subsistence living is a way of life for more of the population (I know, because I used to live there). We make sausage and stew out of bear, moose, elk, and deer.
--Yoda
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

zekeb wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:39 pm Alaska must have some damned small fully grown black bears. Back when I was familiar with Wisconsin bear hunting regulations, a bear that size would be barely legal.
That is indeed a small bear.

Had a bigger yearling here last week.

Hope that girl has night terrors for the rest of her life.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Arthurwankspittle

Post by Arthurwankspittle »

Knowing dx of FA about hunting but a little about weaponry, I would suggest a smallish bear would be designated an 8 year olds target as she wont be armed with a .50 sniper rifle and will more likely be carrying a smaller powered weapon commensurate with her size and skills.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Arthurwankspittle wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:30 am Knowing dx of FA about hunting but a little about weaponry, I would suggest a smallish bear would be designated an 8 year olds target as she wont be armed with a .50 sniper rifle and will more likely be carrying a smaller powered weapon commensurate with her size and skills.
I couldn't imagine Alaska permitting a bear hunt using a .22 rifle.
Il factotum
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

zekeb wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:47 am
I couldn't imagine Alaska permitting a bear hunt using a .22 rifle.
Firearms used for hunting big game in Alaska must use center fire cartridges. Minimum would be a .243, not a .22.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

slq wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:39 pm Thanks. Truce.
I thank you for your graciousness.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

This is the most attention hunky Levi Johnston has gotten in a long time. :P

As everyone remembers, the titular Mama June and her family ate a lot of roadkill, that's an option too also.

Our family went hunting in Sussex County NJ a lot. My uncle was such a poor shot (pheasant) that my Dad & Grandpa used to shoot a pheasant and say, WTG Larry! and give him credit so they could get rid of him (he got his one bird allowed for the day). :lol: Pheasant stew was pretty tasty (only hunted what was eaten). My preference was for the pinball machines at an arcade on the way.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

My hero when I was 8 was a dude that lived a couple of miles up the road. He was 10. He and his Dad went bear hunting in our neighborhood (we were rural). Dad shot and wounded a bear but didn't kill it. They tried to find it. Wounded bear came out of the woods. 10 year old shot it dead with 1 shot from a 22 (or whatever - my parents never owned a gun and neither have I).

On another note - I was on Maui a couple of years ago and a bunch of young pups from Wasilla were there. They told me many stories about what assholes the Palin kids were in HS.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Ok everybody, time to get onboard the Palin Train! :lol:

Trump-world reinforces support for Murkowski challenger as Palin mulls Senate run
Former President Donald Trump and his son, Donald Trump, Jr., have endorsed Kelly Tshibaka in the Alaska Senate race.
Alaska U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski had a big cash-on-hand advantage over Republican rival Kelly Tshibaka, fundraising reports released Thursday, July 15, 2021 show.
By ALEX ISENSTADT 08/06/2021 04:53 PM EDT

Former President Donald Trump’s political apparatus is reinforcing its support for Alaska Republican Senate candidate Kelly Tshibaka, as former Gov. Sarah Palin floats herself as a potential contender for the same seat. Donald Trump, Jr. is set to release a fundraising appeal Friday evening expressing his support for Tshibaka, the former state commissioner of administration who is challenging Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski. It comes just days after Palin, who rose to national prominence as the GOP’s 2008 vice presidential nominee, was quoted as saying that "If God wants me to” run for Senate, “I will."

The former president and his son have endorsed Tshibaka over Murkowski, a Trump critic who voted in January to remove him from office over his role in the Capitol riot. Neither Trump nor his son have spoken out against Palin, and a person close to the younger Trump said that he and his father had warm feelings toward the former Alaska governor and that the appeal was in the works prior to Palin floating her candidacy.

But a Palin bid could potentially complicate Trump’s push to unseat Murkowski by dividing the votes of those running against her.

In his fundraising appeal, Donald Trump, Jr. focuses solely on Tshibaka, praising her as “the real deal” and an “America First Conservative” who is “exactly the type of leadership that Alaska deserves and our country desperately NEEDS!”“I don’t have to tell you how important this election is. This is our opportunity to ensure Alaska has an actual Conservative representing them in the US Senate and not a swampy DC Insider like Lisa Murkowski,” Donald Trump, Jr. writes in the message.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/0 ... ski-502723

Run Sarah, Run!
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

"incorrectly"? I assume this has been established? Missed that.
raison de arizona

p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:30 pm "incorrectly"? I assume this has been established? Missed that.
He had already been obsessed with her for years before that ad came out.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... -shooting/
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks!

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:38 pm
p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:30 pm "incorrectly"? I assume this has been established? Missed that.
He had already been obsessed with her for years before that ad came out.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... -shooting/
I don't think that the fact that he had been obsessed with her before he went on a shooting spree means that he wasn't inspired to do so by her ad. He may well have taken the ad as a directive from the woman he admired, to kill her enemies. IIRC, the ad showed RINOs in what appeared to be the crosshairs of a rifle scope.

So, I think that the jury will have to decide if the NYT was "mistaken" in their editorial opinion.

Return to “Other weirdos”