Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Dave from down under

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-01/ ... /102037314

Ghislaine Maxwell is expected to ask a US appeals court to throw out her conviction for helping Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse teenage girls, saying a slew of errors marred her case and prosecutors made her a scapegoat because the financier was dead.

Key points:
Maxwell is currently serving a 20-year prison sentence after being convicted in December 2021
Her lawyers says prosecutors turned her into a proxy for dead sex offender Jeffrey Epstein
Prosecutors are expected to respond to Maxwell's filing before the appeals court hears oral arguments

"The government prosecuted Ms. Maxwell as a proxy for Jeffrey Epstein" to satisfy "public outrage" over the case, and worked with his accusers "to develop new allegations out of faded, distorted, and motivated memories", her lawyer Arthur Aidala said in a statement.

:snippity:

She is serving a 20-year prison sentence after a Manhattan jury convicted her in December 2021 on five charges for recruiting and grooming four girls for abuse by Epstein between 1994 and 2004.

-----------------

me: Public outrage over her proven criminal actions - she knew what she was doing was wrong.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by northland10 »

I was confused about the timing on the appeals until I realized that it appears to be oral arguments on her appeal. I was pretty sure if it was a new appeal that she blew the deadline. The district case had a NOA soon after the final judgment.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by raison de arizona »

Ghislaine Maxwell Branded ‘Prison Karen’ for Incessant Complaining: Report
'CONSTANT DRAMA'

Ghislaine Maxwell’s constant complaining behind bars has earned her the title of “prison Karen,” an insider from the Florida lockup where she’s currently housed told The Daily Mail. She’s filed more than 400 complaints, the newspaper reported, about everything from allergy-inducing prison pillows to a lack of vegan food options to her inability to acquire a particular kind of hair dye that she uses to cover up her grays. “That's her in a nutshell. Every aspect of prison life offers an opportunity for her to play the victim,” the insider said. “She creates constant drama for staff and inmates alike.” Maxwell is currently serving a 20-year sentence for her role in facilitating Jeffrey Epstein’s abuse of underage girls.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/ghislaine ... ing-report
Original: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... aints.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Fiona

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by Fiona »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:30 pm
Ghislaine Maxwell Branded ‘Prison Karen’ for Incessant Complaining: Report
'CONSTANT DRAMA'

Ghislaine Maxwell’s constant complaining behind bars has earned her the title of “prison Karen,” an insider from the Florida lockup where she’s currently housed told The Daily Mail. She’s filed more than 400 complaints, the newspaper reported, about everything from allergy-inducing prison pillows to a lack of vegan food options to her inability to acquire a particular kind of hair dye that she uses to cover up her grays. “That's her in a nutshell. Every aspect of prison life offers an opportunity for her to play the victim,” the insider said. “She creates constant drama for staff and inmates alike.” Maxwell is currently serving a 20-year sentence for her role in facilitating Jeffrey Epstein’s abuse of underage girls.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/ghislaine ... ing-report
Original: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... aints.html
Well, I’ll be damned…. I thought I had all the disdain for her that I could have. Way to prove me wrong, Ghislaine. What a piece of work.
John Thomas8

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by John Thomas8 »

Put her in women's equivalent of Joliette where she belongs.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by Foggy »

It's already a prison. How hard is it to just ignore the complaints of one stupid inmate? There's something wrong with this story.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bob

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by bob »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:11 am It's already a prison. How hard is it to just ignore the complaints of one stupid inmate? There's something wrong with this story.
It is just sensationalizing the mundane.

Maxwell is filing a lot of grievances, many over petty concerns. And?

Many prisoners do this; she's just receiving attention because of who she is.

The article suggests Maxwell is unhappy at FCI Tallahassee (a low-security prison that once housed Maria Butina), and is trying to be a thorn in an effort to be transferred to FCI Danbury, the low/minimum-security prison that once housed Piper "Orange is the New Black" Kerman and other famous inmates.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

She's been at FCI Tallahassee less than a year, at 400+ complaints that's more than one a day. She's been busy.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Azastan
Verified:

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by Azastan »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:32 pm She's been at FCI Tallahassee less than a year, at 400+ complaints that's more than one a day. She's been busy.
The story mentions that she's also been very helpfully showing other inmates how to fill out the complaint forms :biggrin: .
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by neonzx »

She thought she was being sent to ClubFed for rich people, not prison.
Fiona

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by Fiona »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:11 am It's already a prison. How hard is it to just ignore the complaints of one stupid inmate? There's something wrong with this story.
Just to be clear, I can only speak to a max security county jail where the USM will house people in their custody with federal charges .If any of those complaints fall under the category of MH, medical, dental care some poor nurse has to investigate the complaint and intervene within 36 hours of getting the written complaint. We strive for less than 24 hours at the facility where I am employed. We are accredited by the correctional version of JACHO and that’s what the guidelines state. Even if the issue has been addressed and there is no need to assess the person further, it still takes time to perform a through chart review and document another complaint and the resolution to the complaint.
raison de arizona

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Fiona wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:54 pm
Just to be clear, I can only speak to a max security county jail where the USM will house people in their custody with federal charges .If any of those complaints fall under the category of MH, medical, dental care some poor nurse has to investigate the complaint and intervene within 36 hours of getting the written complaint. We strive for less than 24 hours at the facility where I am employed. We are accredited by the correctional version of JACHO and that’s what the guidelines state. Even if the issue has been addressed and there is no need to assess the person further, it still takes time to perform a through chart review and document another complaint and the resolution to the complaint.
Thanks for the inside deets, I figured there was something that said the complaints can't be ignored, no matter the volume and inanity.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by Foggy »

In one of the Nero Wolfe books, Archie gets jailed and proceeds to organize a union of inmates, complete with a list of official grievances.

Not to put any ideas into Ms. Maxwell's head, but things might be headed in that direction ...
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”