Ghislaine Maxwell trial

RVInit

Re: Ghislaine Maxwell trial

Post by RVInit »

Mostly GUILTY verdicts. Count two Not Guilty.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Guilty on five counts.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

CNN waaaay behind on this. We have more information than Jake Tapper. :brickwallsmall:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:cheer2: :cheer1: :bunny: :banana: :fiesta:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
realist

Post by realist »

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/g ... cna1286352
12/29/2021 05:14pm EST | Updated 10 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) — The British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell was convicted Wednesday of luring teenage girls to be sexually abused by the American millionaire Jeffrey Epstein.

The verdict capped a monthlong trial featuring sordid accounts of the sexual exploitation of girls as young as 14, told by four women who described being abused as teens in the 1990s and early 2000s at Epstein’s palatial homes in Florida, New York and New Mexico.

Jurors deliberated for five full days before finding Maxwell guilty of five of six counts. As the verdict was read, Maxwell was largely stoic behind a black mask. She stood with her hands folded as the jury filed out, and glanced at her siblings — who faithfully attended each day of the trial — as she herself was led from the courtroom. She did not hug her lawyers on the way out, a marked change from previous days during which Maxwell and her team were often physically affectionate with one another.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

and the QAmonsters wasted no time with the whistle:
Screenshot 2021-12-29_17-43-24-173.png
Screenshot 2021-12-29_17-43-24-173.png (195.59 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

"QAmonsters" should be tracked down and sent to Gitmo. Permanently.

She's getting what for a sentence, time served?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:08 pm "QAmonsters" should be tracked down and sent to Gitmo. Permanently.

She’ll get serious time, I think.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
LM K

Post by LM K »

Lawyers, I'd love to know your thoughts on sentencing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... -coverage-
update-verdict-b1983624.html?amp
Screenshot_20211229-144846.png
Screenshot_20211229-144846.png (423.7 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

Opens as a PDF: Mandatory Minimum Penalties for
Sex Offenses in the Federal Criminal Justice System

Pages 8-9:
IMG_29122021_141938_(600_x_800_pixel).png
IMG_29122021_141938_(600_x_800_pixel).png (386.96 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
IMG_29122021_142002_(600_x_800_pixel).png
IMG_29122021_142002_(600_x_800_pixel).png (227.28 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:11 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:08 pm "QAmonsters" should be tracked down and sent to Gitmo. Permanently.

Martha Stewart serious? Or John Wayne Gacy serious?

My opinion, which matters not at all, is that induhviduals that behave this way need taken out in the public square and shot.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:11 pm

Maxwell is 59. Her sentence could essentially be a life sentence.

The fed gov has mandatory minimums. Having more than one victim is an aggravating factor for sentencing.

If I understand what I've been reading, count 1 has a mandatory minimum of 10 15 years and mandatory max of 30 or 40 years. While Maxwell is considered a first time offender, having 3-4 victims is a big aggravating factor. Maxwell will not get the mandatory minimum.

I don't know if the judge will have her sentences served concurrently or consecutively.

Maxwell has been in custody for approximately 17 months. She was arrested on July 2, 2020.

With time served, a 15 10 year minimum sentence, and concurrently served sentences on all other charges, Maxwell will be 68+ 73+ before leaving federal prison.

ETA- Correction of mandatory minimum sentencing.

*Maxwell will be sentenced to more than 10 years. Her victims were under 17 and she had multiple victims. Both are aggravating factors for sentencing.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

In between serious, I suspect. I don't have the USC sections of her charges handy, and I have to make dinner, but I suspect that at least one of her convictions will have a mandatory minimum of 10 years.

Also, I think that the federal sentencing guidelines -- which, for all their complexity and other problems, do a pretty good job of preventing "stacking" multiple charges based on a single course of conduct to jack up a sentence -- have a decided tilt towards heavy sentences for sex trafficking convictions, particularly trafficking minors.

Edit: Well, phooey, I incurred mild displeasure by delaying dinner but no luck. Didn't turn up any secondary sources that give the USC cites, let alone sentence exposure. I found the indictment, but it's not searchable, and it's not short, so I'm going to wait until someone from law twitter chimes in.
LM K

Post by LM K »

chancery wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:37 pm In between serious, I suspect. I don't have the USC sections of her charges handy, and I have to make dinner, but I suspect that at least one of her convictions will have a mandatory minimum of 10 years.

Also, I think that the federal sentencing guidelines -- which, for all their complexity and other problems, do a pretty good job of preventing "stacking" multiple charges based on a single course of conduct to jack up a sentence -- have a decided tilt towards heavy sentences for sex trafficking convictions, particularly trafficking minors.
Download the indictment:
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press ... 1/download
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Not searchable, have to cook. Also, finding the USC section is sometimes not enough.
LM K

Post by LM K »

chancery wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:49 pm Not searchable, have to cook. Also, finding the USC section is sometimes not enough.
I wasn't trying to pressure you!! I'm sorry!!
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

My non-lawyahly take on the charges for which Maxwell has been found guilty: aren't they largely different views of a single crime, albeit a crime committed multiple times?

That is, transporting the minors illegally is the core of her criminality, and conspiracy and enticement are just components of it. I appreciate sometimes conspiracy etc. charges are laid in case the principal act is difficult to get a conviction for, but they have that conviction, so piling on is unnecessary.

Not that I care, any sentence will be long, I think. Terry Trussell got seven years iirc, and Maxwell's deeds surely merit longer incarceration, yes?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Prior to the verdict, a wall of US Marshalls and FBI agents lined the courtroom, an ominous sign of the verdict that was to come.
I am happy with the verdict today. Let's all take a moment to toast and thank Miami Herald's Julie K Brown and her dogged reporting to uncover the Epstein story that may have stayed buried forever without her hard work for the truth and the victims.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

chancery wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:49 pm Not searchable, have to cook. Also, finding the USC section is sometimes not enough.
For completeness, here is part of the way, I think

Charge 1 - Conspiracy to entice a minor to travel to engage in sex acts. 18 U.S.C. § 371 (the actual office on enticing a minor is 18 U.S.C. § 2422)
371 - each shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Charge 2 - not guilty. I did not lookup

Charge 3 - Conspiracy to transport a minor with the intent to engage in illegal sex acts 18 U.S.C. § 371 (the actual office of transporting a minor is 18 U.S.C. § 2423)
371 - each shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Charge 4 - Transporting a minor with the intent to engage in illegal sex acts. 18 U.S.C. § 2423(a) and 2.
2423 "...shall be fined under this title and imprisoned not less than 10 years or for life." § 2 only regards that she can be considered the Principal if I am reading this correctly.

Charge 5 Purgery - 18 U.S.C. § 1623
1623- shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Charge 6 Purgery - 18 U.S.C. § 1623
1623 - shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
101010 :towel:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:40 pm My non-lawyahly take on the charges for which Maxwell has been found guilty: aren't they largely different views of a single crime, albeit a crime committed multiple times?

That is, transporting the minors illegally is the core of her criminality, and conspiracy and enticement are just components of it. I appreciate sometimes conspiracy etc. charges are laid in case the principal act is difficult to get a conviction for, but they have that conviction, so piling on is unnecessary.

Not that I care, any sentence will be long, I think. Terry Trussell got seven years iirc, and Maxwell's deeds surely merit longer incarceration, yes?
Sometimes things are charged in the alternative based upon exigencies of proof, and are not separately punished.

But I think conspiracy in this case is an aggravator - that is, what she did was bad enough; the fact that she *planned it* it with Epstein is exponentially worse. I don’t think the judge is going to consider conspiracy part of the same conduct.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
LM K

Post by LM K »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:40 pm My non-lawyahly take on the charges for which Maxwell has been found guilty: aren't they largely different views of a single crime, albeit a crime committed multiple times?

That's an interesting question.

Imo, the prosecuion addressed this by making counts 2, 4, and 6 as each applying to only one victim.

Count 2: Jane only
Count 4: Jane only
Count 6: Carolyn only
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

What the heck BBC?
Sorry, what?! @BBCNews now have Alan Dershowitz on to analyse #GhislaineMaxwell’s conviction, without any reference to his background;he’s simply introduced as “constitutional lawyer” as if he’s a neutral expert. Shocked. Utterly bizarre decision & does the audience a disservice.
Caoilfhionn Gallagher QC
@caoilfhionnanna
It’s the choice to interview him,but more importantly 1)not contextualising in any way: no mention of Dershowitz having acted for Epstein,or that Virginia Giuffre accused him of abuse,or the defamation suits,& 2)giving him a platform to undermine Giuffre, unchallenged. Appalling.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Thanks Mayb, yes, I can see conspiracy might make it worse.

I don't imagine Maxwell will enjoy her sentencing. As they say, play stupid games …
LM K

Post by LM K »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:26 pm

Sometimes things are charged in the alternative based upon exigencies of proof, and are not separately punished.

But I think conspiracy in this case is an aggravator - that is, what she did was bad enough; the fact that she *planned it* it with Epstein is exponentially worse. I don’t think the judge is going to consider conspiracy part of the same conduct.
That's very interesting. I assumed that conspiracy would be part of the same conduct. But I agree; the conspiring by Maxwell and Epstein was intricate. They laid out every aspect of their crimes in detail for each victim.

Maxwell and Epstein were masters at grooming. They knew exactly what they were doing and why the were doing it.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

northland10 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:14 pm
For completeness, here is part of the way, I think

Charge 1 - Conspiracy to entice a minor to travel to engage in sex acts. 18 U.S.C. § 371 (the actual office on enticing a minor is 18 U.S.C. § 2422)

Charge 2 - not guilty. I did not lookup

Charge 3 - Conspiracy to transport a minor with the intent to engage in illegal sex acts 18 U.S.C. § 371 (the actual office of transporting a minor is 18 U.S.C. § 2423)

Charge 4 - Transporting a minor with the intent to engage in illegal sex acts. 18 U.S.C. § 2423(a) and 2.
2423 "...shall be fined under this title and imprisoned not less than 10 years or for life." § 2 only regards that she can be considered the Principal if I am reading this correctly.

Charge 5 Purgery - 18 U.S.C. § 1623
1623- shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Charge 6 Purgery - 18 U.S.C. § 1623
1623 - shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
Thanks Northland. So it looks possible that she's facing a mandatory minimum of 10 years. Good.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”