Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COVID-19 and the States

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: COVID-19 and the States

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:57 pm /twitter.com/GeorgeTakei

Good. I hope they can't find a job anywhere else either and get denied for unemployment.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

In fact, if hospital/medical workers leave/are fired because they refuse to get vaccinated, they will not be eligible for unemployment, according the new NY gov.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Really curious to see what happens in NY's hospitals tomorrow. Want to see how many folks truly choose to leave rather than get vaccinated.

Though probably we won't even have a clue for a few days.

I've been checking out the daily vaccination number in NY--looks like it's been a bit higher the last few days, especially last Thursday and Friday.

:popcorn:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:05 pm That article is scary.
Yes it is. 64yo? You get care! 65yo? Nice to know ya! (Although that's not the sole criteria for making the decision.)

Hey, where are the anti-choice people? If abortion is a sin or crime, why isn't this? Full grown birthed people are being "culled."
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

If they got involved there would be a court case before every treatment...
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

What is wrong with these health care professionals? They want to expose those they are entrusted to care for? Find another line of work.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

The small percentage of people absolutely opposed to the vax seems to be a constant across society.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:56 am The small percentage of people absolutely opposed to the vax seems to be a constant across society.
Small percent? ... It's feeling like 35-40%. But im in Floriduh.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Monday morning report from the desk of Gov Hochul:

Not bad. Though the lower adult care numbers continue to be an indictment on the industry. Onward to 95%!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Home from getting my booster (yay!) I'm continuing to follow the NY state news.

There isn't much--social media is full of middle to big name pundits broacasting yesterday's news about the National Guard being called in to spell for the 80 to 90 thousand health-care workers expected to leave today. With lots of inaccurate reporting.

Here's today's news that I've found so far:

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n23 ... um=twitter

Covid-19: New York’s health workers agree to vaccinate as mandate bites
A predicted staffing crisis in hospitals around New York state seems to have been largely averted as thousands of healthcare workers, who until now had refused vaccination, agreed to receive last minute shots rather than face potential dismissal.

The state’s deadline expired at 11 59 pm on Monday 27 September, from which point no unvaccinated person may work in a healthcare facility or nursing home. The vaccination rate last week among New York’s roughly 600 000 healthcare workers was 84%; by Monday it had risen to 92%. In New York City the number of unvaccinated health workers fell over the weekend from more than 8000 to about 5000.

The rush to vaccinate will be seen as a vindication of the approach taken by the state governor, Kathy Hochul, who refused numerous calls to grant extensions or exemptions. Hochul said on Friday that she might mobilise the National Guard to plug gaps or might recruit temporary workers from abroad.
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Another thing to keep an eye on is what's happening with the state trooper situation in MA. The union has been widely reported to have said dozens of troopers will be resigning over the mandate. But a report today suggests it could be far fewer...
22News learned Monday night that one State Police trooper has indicated he will resign over the vaccination mandate and that others have reached out to the MSP Human Resources to evaluate their pensions would they choose to resign or retire now.

In addition, 22News also learned that other than that one trooper, no official notification of resignations have been given to the department. The union represents 1,800 members of the State Police.
https://www.wwlp.com/news/massachusetts ... e-mandate/
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

EXCLU: Unvaccinated undercover cops with the NYPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau have allegedly been threatened with demotion if they don’t get the COVID-19 jab — because they can’t set up stings in restaurants without a vaccination card, The Post has learned.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:43 pm https://twitter.com/createcraig/status/ ... 0112243714
EXCLU: Unvaccinated undercover cops with the NYPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau have allegedly been threatened with demotion if they don’t get the COVID-19 jab — because they can’t set up stings in restaurants without a vaccination card, The Post has learned.
They interact directly with the public. All officers. They should be fired, not just demoted.

But then I've had enough of this crap.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:10 pm
Kendra wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:43 pm https://twitter.com/createcraig/status/ ... 0112243714
They interact directly with the public. All officers. They should be fired, not just demoted.

But then I've had enough of this crap.
Me too.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They stopped visitors at an Assisted Living Home in the next county because of an outbreak of Covid. Over 50 residents and 6 workers have tested positive. But as most have been vaccinated, no one has become very ill, been hospitalized, or died.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

N.C. hospital system fires about 175 workers in one of the largest-ever mass terminations due to a vaccine mandate

A North Carolina-based hospital system announced Monday that roughly 175 unvaccinated employees were fired for failing to comply with the organization’s mandatory coronavirus vaccination policy, the latest in a series of health-care dismissals over coronavirus immunization.

Novant Health said last week that 375 unvaccinated workers — across 15 hospitals and 800 clinics — had been suspended for not getting immunized. Unvaccinated employees were given five days to comply.

Novant Health spokeswoman Megan Rivers tweeted Monday that almost 200 of the suspended workers, including those who had submitted approved exemptions, received their first dose by Friday. The hospital confirmed that the rest of the suspended employees who did not comply were fired, although the exact number of those dismissed was not specified.

“We stand by our decision to make the vaccine mandatory as we have a responsibility to protect our patients, visitors and team members, regardless of where they are in our health system,” Novant Health said in a statement.

Rivers told The Washington Post that more than 99 percent of the system’s roughly 35,000 employees have followed the mandatory vaccination program.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ted-fired/
raison de arizona

:thumbsup:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

They'll be back. Mostly. The denizens of Earth 2 take a lot of convincing; they stride firmly toward the door painted on the brick wall, confident that this is the way forward; when they smack their heads into the bricks, it's a wake-up call.
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Off Topic
I have a nephew who recently announced he'll be losing his job because of a vaccine mandate. He's a security guard for a gated senior citizens community, a job he's had for about 10 years. I tried giving him some basic facts about hospitals being overwhelmed and the importance of the vaccines in addressing that. He responded with talk about his rights and...."needle rape." Then I tried telling him the vaccine might help him, should he catch Covid, to live to see his 15-year-old daughter (my great-niece) grow up. He reacted with anger at my attempt to "emotionally trigger" him.

So we're done. Conversation over. :mad:
raison de arizona

Needle rape? Really?

Sorry to hear that, I hope things work out for him. :bighug:
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

neonzx wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:52 am What is wrong with these health care professionals? They want to expose those they are entrusted to care for? Find another line of work.
This has been a fascinating issue for me.

When the vax was released for healthcare workers, my sister was a bit hesitant to be vaccinated. She's a huge fan of vaccines. We are a vaxed family.

My sister has worked covid since the beginning. But the speed at which the vax was developed was of concern to her.

The hesitancy to try new meds is common amongst healthcare workers. What happens in the lab doesn't always match what happens when a drug enters the real world. Docs and nurses see what happens when someone reacts badly to a drug.

Lori returned to work from FMLA just before Christmas. Her first shift scared her. She told us "this isn't the covid we had in the spring". She got her first jab the next day.

I found her concerns valid. I shared the same concern. I decided to get vaxed asap because, as a scientist, trust science. And I wanted my life back.

I understand vaccine hesitancy amongst healthcare professionals. But MANY antivaxxers hide as vaccine hesitant. Vax mandates have shown us whom is hesitant and whom is antivax.

Houston Methodist Hospital was the first hospital to mandate vaccines for all healthcare workers. A group of 117 nurses sued the hospital to stop vax mandate and keep their job.

The lead plaintiff claimed to be vax hesitant. She's not. When asked during an interview when she would be comfortable getting the covid vax, her answer was something like 10 years in the future. After all, the vax is really new. AND she was fighting for her freedumbs.

The minute a covid vax "hesitant" adds a second excuse for why they're not getting vaxed, it's obvious that they're not hesitant. They're antivax.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Watching someone be radicalized is terrifying and enlightening.

Found this quote yesterday by Goethe: "There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action" (translation). Made me wonder how much he and his 19th c peers understood about the concept of radicalization. Probably more than I've ever given them credit for (from my platform of a little learning).
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Notaperson wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:43 pm
Off Topic
I have a nephew who recently announced he'll be losing his job because of a vaccine mandate. He's a security guard for a gated senior citizens community, a job he's had for about 10 years. I tried giving him some basic facts about hospitals being overwhelmed and the importance of the vaccines in addressing that. He responded with talk about his rights and...."needle rape." Then I tried telling him the vaccine might help him, should he catch Covid, to live to see his 15-year-old daughter (my great-niece) grow up. He reacted with anger at my attempt to "emotionally trigger" him.

So we're done. Conversation over. :mad:
How did you not slap him?

"Needle rape"?! That demeaning to sexual assault survivors everywhere. I hope he hasn't used that phrase around his daughter.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I like what Pascal said. (which is usually and maliciously translated as "religious Conviction")
Jamais on ne fait le mal ſi pleinement & ſi gayement, que quand on le fait par un faux principe de conſcience. - "One never does evil so fully and gaily, as when one does it through a false principle of conscience."
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”