Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COVID-19 and the States

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Notaperson

Re: COVID-19 and the States

Post by Notaperson »

LM K wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:13 pm
Notaperson wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:43 pm
Off Topic
I have a nephew who recently announced he'll be losing his job because of a vaccine mandate. He's a security guard for a gated senior citizens community, a job he's had for about 10 years. I tried giving him some basic facts about hospitals being overwhelmed and the importance of the vaccines in addressing that. He responded with talk about his rights and...."needle rape." Then I tried telling him the vaccine might help him, should he catch Covid, to live to see his 15-year-old daughter (my great-niece) grow up. He reacted with anger at my attempt to "emotionally trigger" him.

So we're done. Conversation over. :mad:
How did you not slap him?

"Needle rape"?! That demeaning to sexual assault survivors everywhere. I hope he hasn't used that phrase around his daughter.
We live far apart, so it was over Facebook. And I know. It's like he lives in a different world from me.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

A couple neat graphs.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

United Airlines says nearly all workers met vaccine mandate deadline, 593 could face termination
The air carrier has begun the process for terminating nearly 600 workers who declined to comply with the requirement

Nearly all of United Airlines’ U.S.-based employees have been vaccinated, the company said Tuesday, touting the success of its policy after becoming the first U.S. carrier to require the vaccine among its workforce.

United’s deadline for meeting the requirement was Monday, and the carrier said Tuesday it has begun the process of terminating 593 employees who declined to be vaccinated and did not apply for a health or religious exemption. The company said less than 3 percent of its roughly 67,000 workforce applied for exemptions, while 1 percent didn’t comply.

“This is a historic achievement for our airline and our employees as well as for the customers and communities we serve,” chief executive Scott Kirby and President Brett Hart wrote in a memo to employees. “Our rationale for requiring the vaccine for all United’s U.S.-based employees was simple — to keep our people safe — and the truth is this: everyone is safer when everyone is vaccinated, and vaccine requirements work.”
:snippity:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... quirement/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

My state is still struggling, despite lotteries, cash cards, rewards from employers, etc. Oahu just reached 70% full vaccination! But with Delta, we need a higher rate. Restrictions aren't being reduced.

The neighbor islands - sigh. Despite the constant clusters on the Big Island, it has only reached 64%. My island is doing horrible. We were the first island to reach 60%, but it's only increased to 65% since then. Maui has the same problem - but worse - 60% vaccination, covid still spreading, Covidiots abound, rant about the "vaccination passport" and any other measure to reduce the spread. Constant protests. Apparently, no one likes the mayor. People who want more restrictions hate him; Covidiots hate him for any restrictions.

It looks like the current wave is down trending here. Cases have almost dropped 50%. People are antsy to get out of restrictions. But November and the big holidays are coming, which epidemiologists project will bring the next wave starting in late December/early January unless more are vaccinated. Some scientists project that we need more than 80% fully vaccinated to stop the cycles.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I heard on MSNBC today, but can't remember whose program it was on (and I've pulled way back on news watching), but it was said that we are number 40 in the countries' ranking of vaccination rates. That's an appalling drop from first place six months ago. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Joint 66th (I counted…) according to CNN

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/he ... cinations/
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Note the 65,000 vaccines yesterday. That is the second time in five days that the number has been over 60,000. Which is significantly higher than the average daily number of vaccines during September (40 to 50 k). I'm guessing lots of folks working at medical facilities got jabbed.

Which makes me happy. Regarding the NY trends in general, I'm xpecting to see Number of Hospitalization start to slide downward in a steady way in about a week).

ETA: CDC site tracks the 12-and-up numbers, which are a lovely 73.7 % FULLY VACCINATED today. 82.5% with at least one dose. I like this metric because to me, the percentage of eligible folks vaccinated give insight into how many people are actually on board with sanity.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

At the Southampton CVS yesterday all of the people we saw getting vaccinated looked to be 65+ folks getting boosters.

Of course this time of year the demographics here skew older.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Volkonski wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:46 pm At the Southampton CVS yesterday all of the people we saw getting vaccinated looked to be 65+ folks getting boosters.

I would hope that is because all the younger folks already got their shots, but...

This is vaguely interesting if you haven't seen it, you can go here and select Long Island as the region, then order by percent vaccinated and see which communities are killing it and which are ones to avoid. Well, except people are mobile and get around everywhere.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:46 pm At the Southampton CVS yesterday all of the people we saw getting vaccinated looked to be 65+ folks getting boosters.

Maybe getting boosters? That's what I was doing yesterday at my CVS. It's primarily the 65 plus crowd that is eligible for boosters this week, because it's mostly the 65 plus crowd that got vaccinated more than six months.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Yesterday I checked in for today’s flight home and a warning popped up. It said (paraphrasing) “You’re going to Florida? WTF is wrong with you?”
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

In Alaska’s Covid Crisis, Doctors Must Decide Who Lives and Who Dies
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Gov Hochul just gave a COVID update. Accent on finding ways to get people vaccinated in areas with low vaccination rates. Loving this:
Attachments
Breakthrough NY 5 Oct.jpg
Breakthrough NY 5 Oct.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Idaho

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

McGeachin wants to deploy the Idaho National Guard to the Texas/Mexico border. Thankfully she can't figure out how to do that.

Little returns to Idaho Wed night.
As of Wednesday my constitutional authority as Governor affords me the power of activating the Idaho National Guard,” McGeachin wrote to Garshak in the letter obtained by The Associated Press. “As the Adjutant General, I am requesting information from you on the steps needed for the Governor to activate the National Guard.”

Garshak replied with one paragraph on Tuesday afternoon.

“I am unaware of any request for Idaho National Guard assistance under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact (EMAC) from Texas or Arizona,” Garshak wrote, in part, to McGeachin. “As you are aware, the Idaho National Guard is not a law enforcement agency.”

Little in June sent a team of Idaho State Police troopers to the border to help with intelligence gathering and investigative work to stop drugs from coming across the border. Idaho shares an international border with Canada but not Mexico.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas and Republican Gov. Doug Ducey of Arizona had requested the help under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact that empowers states to help other states in times of disasters or emergencies.

“On Sept 24, I spoke to my counterpart in Texas, Lt Gov. Dan Patrick’s office, and they affirmed the need for additional resources in helping the situation on our southern border,” McGeachin told Garshak.

McGeachin’s office on Tuesday didn’t respond to a request for comment.

“Attempting to deploy our National Guard for political grandstanding is an affront to the Idaho constitution and insults the men and women who have dedicated their life to serving our state and the country,” Little said in a statement.

In May when Little was out of state, she issued an executive order banning mask mandates that Little eliminated when he returned, saying mask mandate decisions were best left to local officials. Little has never issued a mask mandate.
I loathe this kind of crap. I would loathe it from any Dem politician.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Los Angeles requires proof of vaccination to enter many businesses, one of the nation’s strictest rules.
Expanded inoculation requirements in workplaces and crowded public spaces have spurred vaccination rates in parts of the country.

By Jill Cowan
Oct. 6, 2021

Los Angeles will require most people to provide proof of full coronavirus vaccination to enter a range of indoor businesses, including restaurants, gyms, museums, movie theaters and salons, in one of the nation’s strictest vaccine rules.

The new law, which was approved by the Los Angeles City Council on Wednesday, will allow people with medical conditions that do not allow them to be vaccinated, or who have a sincerely held religious objection, to instead show proof of a negative coronavirus test taken within the preceding 72 hours.

It will take effect on Nov. 4, which city officials have said should give the city and businesses enough time to figure out how the rule should be enforced.

Some council members have expressed concern that businesses would be unfairly burdened by the requirement, and that the city’s law is inconsistent with Los Angeles County rules that apply to neighboring communities and require masks indoors, but not proof of vaccination.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/06/worl ... ndate.html
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Daaymn. Spud Miner State gots some friction goin' on in the Gov's office. Lovin that.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... e-covid-19
Alaska’s health system, stretched by enormous distances and limited resources, was precarious before the pandemic hit, and now remote communities are worried they will have nowhere to send their sickest patients.

One in 84 people in Alaska was diagnosed with Covid-19 in the last week of September alone. On Monday, the state reported 2,290 cases and one death over the course of three days. Less than two-thirds of eligible Alaskans are fully vaccinated, and the entire state is on high alert for significant spread of the coronavirus.

The surge comes as Alaskan leaders and communities are sharply divided on issues like masks and vaccinations, and health workers are burned out and bullied.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Even though it's hard to get a handle on the numbers day to day, lots of people are still dying from Covid in Florida...

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Wow! Les Zaitz is still reporting. ETA. Oops, he just tweeted an Oregonlive article.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”