Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Up Here in Bathysphere (or wherever it is)

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Up Here in Bathysphere (or wherever it is)

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:

Nice.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Back in Bathysphere, can't see any feesh. :(
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Every time I visit my dad for the past 10 years or so, I look for stuff to fix. He was pretty good at that, but he can't get up and down off the floor and he needs a walker and stuff, so I do it. Note: I have two brothers (and two sisters) who do nothing to help him. One brother is a pathologist in New Hampshire, and the other is a software engineer in Oregon, but they visit every couple years.

I bring tools, but this time I found a kitchen drawer that needed help. We make a big adventure of taking my dad to the PX on Walter Reed Medical Center, so he can stock up on wine ("Everything else, I get from Amazon!"), and I picked up a bottle of wood glue. Fixed the drawer, it works perfectly.

And I got a whole lot of wood glue left over. What can I find for that? :mrgreen:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:41 am Every time I visit my dad for the past 10 years or so, I look for stuff to fix. He was pretty good at that, but he can't get up and down off the floor and he needs a walker and stuff, so I do it. Note: I have two brothers (and two sisters) who do nothing to help him. One brother is a pathologist in New Hampshire, and the other is a software engineer in Oregon, but they visit every couple years.

I bring tools, but this time I found a kitchen drawer that needed help. We make a big adventure of taking my dad to the PX on Walter Reed Medical Center, so he can stock up on wine ("Everything else, I get from Amazon!"), and I picked up a bottle of wood glue. Fixed the drawer, it works perfectly.

And I got a whole lot of wood glue left over. What can I find for that? :mrgreen:
Cardboard box chairs?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I fixed all the chairs in previous visits. :blackeyebig:

Besides, I believe the cardboard box chairs plans specify Elmer's glue, not wood glue.

(Narrator: Yeah, wood glue wood work on a cardboard box. It really wood. Duh.)

Or the future.
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

Hey, Foggy!
I am late reading this thread, but I saw from your report of August 29th that both of your parents grew up near Scranton, PA. That caught my eye, as both of my grandparents grew up near there, too, in Peckville/Archbald. Is that familiar to you?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

No, doesn't ring a bell. I didn't ever live in Pennsylvania myself, although I've lived in 11 states.

Yeah, mother born in Waverly, a dinky little burg north of Scranton, and father was also a Navy brat, lived all over the place, but his parents ended up in Clark's Summit. Maybe 10 miles from Waverly? Probably less.

But when we visited, we mostly just went from one relative's house to another, and didn't get much outside that Waverly-Clarks Summit axis.

Or the future.
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

It looks like Clark's Summit is approx. 8 miles from Peckville as the crow flies. Were your relatives miners? Paternal great grandfather was a miner who died from black lung. Maternal great grandfather had a coal and ice business. Thinking about that has me wondering if the miners were able to take coal home to heat their houses, or did my great grandfather sell it back to them? I have no idea how the local economy worked back then, aside from the miners having few other options.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

BeastofBourbon wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:59 pm Were your relatives miners?
Nope. Maternal side, all lawyers going back to before the Civil War. Paternal side was US Navy officers from ... you guessed it, North Carolina. Also going back to before the Civil War. Maternal great-great-grandpa was both - a judge who became an officer in the Union Army and commanded a group of black troops at the end of the war.

My mom's first cousin was Governor Bill Scranton. Ambassador to the U.N.

In other words, elitist swine Republicans. But after childhood I gave up their brand of polly ticks. And y'all know, I was homeless 3 times in my life, which is not a terribly elitist thing.

But I remember the mountains of coal refuse piled up in Scranton, the unusable junk, steaming in the winter cold.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

In any event, I shall now (in half an hour) drive travel back to the lovely capital of North Cackilacki, we're done here.

I fixed:

Broken kitchen drawer
Tightened the shower tube at the top, doesn't leak any more
Tightened a lot of cabinet knobs that were getting loose
Adjusted the shower head to his approval, and
Dug out an HDMI cable that fell behind the Tee Vee, he had no chance of retrieving it.

So I feel good leaving him. I told him to break a few things before I get back up here. :?

Or the future.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Youz a good widdle boy.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, and it's weird. In days of yore he would fix stuff like that up himself. And even at 93, he's still feisty.
:boxing:

Oh man, one time this week he had to go down to the first floor to get a COVID-19 test for the week (he's in quarantine in his apartment on ... one of the upper floors ... for the crime of visiting my sister on Christmas day), and ol' Wifehorn offered to accompany him. He wasn't rude about it, but he made it clear that this is how he has to live when we're not there, and he doesn't need any mothering.

Bonus: We gave him new pajamas for Christmas, and this morning he had put them on all by himself, the aide was coming after we took off. So he ain't kickin' any day soon now. :biggrin:

Home again ...

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

We're back, but we picked the day they're replacing the coaxial cable in this massive 25 year old building with fiber optic. No internet except for mah phone.

Bummer, dude.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, we have a plan for dinner.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

So my dad got a physical therapy session today, we're going to get him a tabletop microwave, he can't reach up to open the door on the one above the oven. Otherwise he's doing pretty good for 94.

I fixed a few little things, but ol' Wifehorn freakin' uncluttered his space where he spends most of his time, a chair that pops up when he stands, but the immediate area was full of magazines he's going to get to, books he hasn't quite started, stuff like that. This is not a criticism, he's constantly reading and learning something, he just gets a little bit backed up. But the PT ladies said he needed to clear it out to give himself more room for the things he really is reading, and that's all ol' Wifehorn needed to hear.

At first he was objecting, as she started reading the title AND DATE of each magazine. But ol' Wifehorn loves nothing better than to steamroll a man for his own good. She's had a lot of practice. :oopsy:

So he's FAR better off than he was three days ago, which is what our plan always is.

AND, after discussing with him - and separately, with the PT ladies - we are going to:

1) Go home in the morning.

2) ADOPT A FULL GROWN CAT from our local no-kill shelter, Safe Haven for Cats.

3) Bring the cat (and the microwave oven, but not with the cat inside) back up here and install them both.

If he passes before the cat, we'll take the cat. This will make him move his bones more, too also. His last cat, Charlie, passed away from old age last year. He's a good cat person.

I call that a win-win NEW CAT.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Woke up ill, can't type. Go home mañana. Recovering, I'm okay.

Or the future.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

:bighug: :bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Very unpleasant morning, feeling better now. Won't share details, I like you and have too much respect for you to tell you a thing like that. :lovestruck:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Okay, and with an extra day here AGAINST MY WISHES DAMMIT but here we are, anyway I went to work on my dad's Xfinity router, he was having wi-fi connectivity issues, and he had lost the login to access the router with a browser, so I nudged him and urged him and he called Comcast and got them to factory reset the router, and then he set a new login.

Job half done.

Then, using the new login, I went to the wi-fi settings page and changed the channels on 2.4 and 5 GHz wi-fi networks. I use an app called WiFi Analyzer, and I have jacked my dad's wi-fi. He was getting 90% interference, this apartment building is full of wi-fi networks, all on the same channels.

Job complete. His wi-fi will hold until the new fiber optic-capable router arrives in a few weeks. :thumbsup:

Or the future.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:48 pm Very unpleasant morning, feeling better now. Won't share details, I like you and have too much respect for you to tell you a thing like that. :lovestruck:
I'm imagining something like colonoscopy prep without the colonoscopy.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, except from both ends. At 11:50 am Ol' Wifehorn thought I was gonna croak, but no such luck. By 3:00 I was human again. Do need to see a physician, this happened last September too. No idea what the problem is, but it's not the restaurant we went to last night. I had symptoms before that, and maybe I shouldn't have eaten at all.

Or the future.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:( :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:14 pm Yeah, except from both ends. At 11:50 am Ol' Wifehorn thought I was gonna croak, but no such luck. By 3:00 I was human again. Do need to see a physician, this happened last September too. No idea what the problem is, but it's not the restaurant we went to last night. I had symptoms before that, and maybe I shouldn't have eaten at all.
I have had that all week-SPRING BREAK week. I was either in the toilet room or in my beed

its a nasty bug. Hope you are feeling better-hubby has it now
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, we're on our way to Bathysphere again, gotta replace the borken microwave, set up a table for the new one at a height my dad can work with, and make sure it's all ... whadda they call it nowadays?

Ergonomic? :oldman: Anyway, so he can use it to heat up his noms. His rotator cuff wouldn't let him use the one over the stove.

Anyway, AFK all day again, what are ya gonna do? :towel:

Or the future.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”