Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Up Here in Bathysphere (or wherever it is)

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Larger one at the bottom. He thinks they got it for a wedding present.

So, umm ... yeah. Three drawers, and then take an octagon and cut it in half, and put one half on each side of the drawers - it's deep (as tall as all three drawers) and each side has a folding top on a hinge.

We think it was for storing fabric. He thinks it is a sewing accessory table, and we think the only reason for a thing that deep is for the fabric. :shrug:

And I have been saving the funny for last - the three drawers are not filled with sewing accessories. No, no, not at all. My mom had a really amazing wicker contraption that she kept all her sewing gear in, and my dad still has that, too also.

But in this very nice antique sewing accessory table that she got for a wedding present, she kept every bar of soap she ever stole from fancy, and sometimes not so fancy, hotels around the world. :biggrin:

My mom and dad absolutely loved the Ahwahnee Hotel, in Yosemite National Park. She had a few bars of soap from there, and other hotels around the world.

I told my dad he should go through them and use them up. I told him 1) it will be a trip down memory lane, places they went together, and 2)I'm not interested in inheriting my mom's soap.

:oldman:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:42 pm Larger one at the bottom. He thinks they got it for a wedding present.

So, umm ... yeah. Three drawers, and then take an octagon and cut it in half, and put one half on each side of the drawers - it's deep (as tall as all three drawers) and each side has a folding top on a hinge.
Or just Google Martha Washington table.

We think it was for storing fabric. He thinks it is a sewing accessory table, and we think the only reason for a thing that deep is for the fabric. :shrug:

And I have been saving the funny for last - the three drawers are not filled with sewing accessories. No, no, not at all. My mom had a really amazing wicker contraption that she kept all her sewing gear in, and my dad still has that, too also.

But in this very nice antique sewing accessory table that she got for a wedding present, she kept every bar of soap she ever stole from fancy, and sometimes not so fancy, hotels around the world. :biggrin:

My mom and dad absolutely loved the Ahwahnee Hotel, in Yosemite National Park. She had a few bars of soap from there, and other hotels around the world.

I told my dad he should go through them and use them up. I told him 1) it will be a trip down memory lane, places they went together, and 2)I'm not interested in inheriting my mom's soap.

:oldman:
My grandmother kept her yarns and bulky stuff in the side pockets. Mine has tools in the drawers and stuff like rulers and levels in the sides.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:48 pm :snippity:

My grandmother kept her yarns and bulky stuff in the side pockets. Mine has tools in the drawers and stuff like rulers and levels in the sides.
So I'm at a loss: what is a level used for in tailoring? :confuzzled:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:48 pm ... just Google Martha Washington table.
That's exactly what it is. Ol' Wifehorn can sew, she's actually pretty good when she gets a passion, but she didn't know about Martha Washington tables. And of course I had no idea.

It's not in great shape. A leg is bent off center, but it's not loose or wobbly, just pointing the wrong way. :?

Nobody has been waxing it or using any kind of furniture oil or preservatives on it. The side was splitting open, that's what I fixed today.

But it needs some love before anybody else can look at it. I'll bring some furniture oil or something, next trip.
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:59 pm So I'm at a loss: what is a level used for in tailoring? :confuzzled:
Oh man, I can't wait to find out myself. I believe she does about a mazillion different creative things, not just clothes made from shopping bags and other stuff like that. :lol:

That lady has more creativity in her little finger than I do in my entire body.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Outta here. :towel:

Or the future.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:28 pm Oh, now honestly, you thought you could stop there, and not tell us the stories?

No, wait, no need. Whatever you decide.

Anyway, did manage to see my grandparents, in the Naval Academy cemetery.

George_and_Mary.jpg

Gorgeous day. Also saw my dad's entry in the Sports Hall of Fame, but fencing, like boxing and a few others, is a "retired" sport now. A club sport, if anything.

That's OK, it was good for my boys to see all of it.

And I got a Navy Football ballcap. :biggrin:
My neice was on the Naval Acadamy Rowing Team, I forget which discipline now (I sorta kinda think she was the cox in an 8's crew). They were highly ranked nationally, but I doubt she's in the Hall of Fame. After graduating, she drove an Aircraft Carrier for a while and then commanded some Marines in the Mediterranean protecting merchant shipping during Gulf War I.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:like:

We landed in just under 4 hours. Took us 6 to get up there. :bored:

Traffic.

Kittehs were glad to see us back. :thumbsup:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

As you may know, my dad had COVID-19 and has been in the rehab unit of his retirement community, working on getting his mobility back, and now he has finally managed to get where he needs to be, so they are sending him upstairs to his apartment. On Thursday, is the current plan.

And ol' Wifehorn and I will be going up there on Wednesday to get the place ready and be there when he gets home. We'll spend a few days making sure he's settled in and can run his life. He's still totally sharp mentally, so we can just work on the physical issues.

Haven't seen him since Christmas anyway. It's always good to see my dad.

Sunday (a week from mañana) is his 95th birthday. I want to spend the whole day with him.

Or the future.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Happy Birthday to Pappa Foghorn Leghorn :oldman: :bighug:
Happy 95th.png
Happy 95th.png (122.92 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:groupdance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Don't jinx him. :fingerwag:

:lol:

I'm terrified of wishing him a happy birthday, in case something happens and he doesn't make it. He still has 8 days to go!

Or the future.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

So I'm at a loss: what is a level used for in tailoring? :confuzzled:
Hems.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I didn't know that. :shock:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Posting this here although we're not in Bathysphere or wherever it is yet, but we were supposed to be there today. Now we leave Monday.

Apparently, my dad had some kind of setback - he won't tell ol' Wifehorn exactly what - and after a couple of meetings, one of which coincided with the Meetup last night :mad: his "care team" agreed that he can't go back upstairs to his own apartment until Tuesday next week, not mañana. So we had to unpack.

Plus, this throws ol' Wifehorn's schedule into turmoil, and it means we won't be there for his 95th birthday :mad: and it means we probably have to cut the visit short, because Numbah One Son starts spring vacation next Friday. I told ol' Wifehorn, he doesn't need us here for a day or so before he starves. :lol:

And it means the new plan, upon which they are insisting we can rely, is to drive up Monday, spend the afternoon and evening stocking his fridge and stuff, and then help him move back into his own home for a couple days.

We talked to him extensively about it all last night when I shoulda been in the Meetup, and he seemed unnaturally down in spirit, because of whatever the setback was. But today he was his normal, cheerful, very sharp self, and he realizes that he has to claw his way back upstairs, or his life is going to be a lot worse. He needs to be independent, and we're going to help him figure out the plan.

Even if it only buys him another six months, or even less ... every day counts, and we're going to make sure he doesn't get cheated out of a single day.

So that's my report. He says his balance is improving. :thumbsup:

Or the future.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Hoping for the best outcome. :bighug: :thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We had a friend, in his 80s when we met him. He was from Germany, a psychiatrist, very distinguished gentleman. He was frail and depressed since losing his wife. His doctor talked him into trying t’ai chi.

Six months later- his balance, appetite, humor, all returned. He continued to gain strength until he passed 10 years later. Once a week, that was all it took for Albert. Would your dad give it a try? I bet there are tai chi channels if you can’t find a traveling teacher.

Hugs to Admiral Dadhorn. :bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:

Best of luck to him!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hugs to Admiral Dadhorn. Hat tip to Phoenix! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

My dad's rehab is pretty swank, you ask me. :think:

No wonder he's been happy here.

rehab_01.jpg

rehab_02.jpg

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Okay, he's had it pretty soft, as you can see. They been molly-coddlin' him, is what it is.

But birthday is OVER around here, daddy-o.

We got a crew working on the tunnel, so here's the plan: Bright and early mañana we're gonna bust him outta the joint, past the Dobermans and the guard towers and upstairs to his apartment, where I happen to be at the present time.

In addition to his ninja gear and the night vision goggles and all that related crap, I have to go on a recon mission to the local supermarket, he's gonna need a bunch of supplies, including a lot of calories if we're going to get him back into some kinda shape. Gimme forty push-ups, Dad.

Okay, hay, me neither. :oopsy: Well, then just think about push-ups for a minnit while I get a shopping list from ol' Wifehorn, willya? :towel:

Or the future.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Dadhorn looks great!!!!!!!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yes, but always remember - he's old, and I'm not. :thankyou:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah okay, this is a little weird.

Ol' Wifehorn and I are living the life in his apartment, but he's still stuck in the rehab unit downstairs. Which is nice, but we are partying down.

Well, except we can't turn the music up too loud, this is a retirement community. Or hell, we'll just invite all the neighbors.
:guntootin:

And, except I had to be a little cautious about who to invite to the party, I mean, I don't actually know any of these people, they were just walking past the diner when I was waiting for my dinner.

And, except for I had to put a limit on the delivery order from the liquor store and the marijuana dispensary, those bills can mount up, even when I am putting them all on my dad's credit cards that we found when we got here.

Hay, what was that noise?

Oh, just ol' Wifehorn, I had to put her in the closet for a spell, she can be so unco-operative! :mrgreen:

What is it, love?

Well, sure what's your poison? Let's get you in a Don Jr. frame of mind! :nooo:

Or the future.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”