Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Up Here in Bathysphere (or wherever it is)

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Up Here in Bathysphere (or wherever it is)

Post by Foggy »

A rare sighting of ol' Wifehorn and my dad. First time since I knew him he grew a beard.

Will you look at the size of that margarita!

We're on the fifth floor in his retirement community, looking down on the Beltway that circles our nation's capital. Early spring, early morning.

I finally got to visit my dad, first time since December 2019! :dance:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Up Here in Bathysphere (or wherever it is)

Post by bill_g »

:like:

((((((big hugs for family))))))
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Hooray Foggy! :cheer2:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

That’s great that you finally got to visit with your dad, Foggy! Margaritas all round! :bar:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:thumbsup:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

1 (1)_1.jpg
1 (1)_1.jpg (90.91 KiB) Viewed 9766 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Well, finally!! :bunny:

He looks kinda like my dad, with that beard.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:fiesta:

That must be wonderful!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

How long have you known him
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

A surprising number of years. He was 24¾ when I was born ... if'n he'd had a beard back then it would have been an entirely different color. :idea:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

They both look awesome, Foggy! Wifehorn is the best, please give her a hug. And really happy to see your Daddy, I'm lucky to still have both my parents in my life. Inspiring photo.

My money is on that they are both looking super ready to watch Mama June: Road To Redemption! Of course, Episode 2 is on tonight at 9pm on WeTV and that surely is the reason you went there today -- to have a family viewing party. :P
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Cool. Also, Wifehorn could pass for my sister. We’re almost twinsies.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
June bug

Post by June bug »

That's fantastic, Foggy! I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to see your dad for the first time in a year!

:groupdance:

Though our daughter and her boyfriend have been visiting regularly, 2 weekends ago was the first time in a year we could be maskless and share hugs! I do know how great that felt!! :dance: :dance:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

:cheer1: :fiesta: :bunny: :groupdance:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

So happy you finally get to see him again! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

So I'm going to be AFK all day, driving traveling up to see my dad again, leaving early, I may be online later today, it takes about 5 hours with no traffic, but there's always traffic.

Carry on ...

Or the future.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:15 am Well, finally!! :bunny:

He looks kinda like my dad, with that beard.
The heck with that, he looks like ME.

Sorta.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer

🎶Happy trails to you...🎶
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Traffic on I-95? Why when does that ever happen? ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Only on days that end with a Y. But we made it.

285 miles on the nose. No serious traffic, stopped once for gas (you do NOT want to buy gas in Bathyshpere) and still made it in a little less than 5 hours. Here we are in serious Geezerland, and just like Seattle, everybody is wearing masks. :thumbsup:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

... and here's my report.

Four days and three nights in world-renowned Bathysphere, in the fabulous eleventy-star retirement community where my dad, who's now 93, lives in what is basically a condo. My dad has real trouble getting around, but he's sharp as a tack upstairs. Ol' Wifehorn had a little more time directly discussing stuff with him, on account of they both watch the Tee Vee, which is against my religion, as you know. I'd sit in the next room, but I could hear it while I was reading and sometimes I'd butt in. But between the two of us, we spent the whole time talking to him about politics and the news, and our health insurance business and stuff, and he was soaking it up and asking intelligent questions. He's a really interesting guy, and can tell stories going back to the 1930s. He and she would watch the news and he was following it so close that they'd have really detailed conversations during and after. Then I'd talk to him about anything new and interesting on Fogbow that he might have missed, on a wide variety of threads. He knows more about Afghanistan and Hurricane Ida and the other news of the world ... it's amazing, and fun. He's a big fan of Fogbow, gave me a t-shirt once with the LFBC on the front. When I get up there to visit, I know I'm going to hear, "So what's new on the Fogbow?" :lol:

So it's nice that we get to go up there a few times a year and spend a few days with him. This is the second time this year, and I always bring a toolbox so I can do little repairs for him, and ol' Wifehorn brings up food and cooks every meal for him, and we take him to the Navy Exchange (think government-funded version of a smaller-sized Wal-Mart) on the grounds of Walter Reed. He has to show ID to get us into it, but he gets a nice salute from a Navy man at the gate and I think it kind of reminds him that he's still in the greatest club he ever joined. He can't get there by himself, he doesn't drive, so when we show up he goes and stocks up on those black boxes of wine. He gets enough so it will last until the next time we come up there, so about 6 boxes to last to Christmastime. He's not a lush. :biggrin: All his other groceries, he has delivered or gets them in the little store downstairs.

And one night each visit he takes us out to a Mexican restaurant we all really like, which is another chance to make him walk some and move his bones. Between that and the trip to the Navy Exchange, he got more exercise than he's had in a while, but he came through it well and was still moving around -- at his own pace -- when we left him this morning.

Ya know how teenagers in the '60s and '70s tended to be wild and rebellious leftist liberal swine, and their parents hoped they'd come to their senses if and when they ever grew up someday? And some of us really did become political conservatives as we grew older.

But not me. I'm still the knee-jerk urban elitist liberal Democratic tree-hugging weenie I always have been, so instead my dad came around to my point of view after all these years. I've been talking politics with him my whole life, and he voted for Obama twice and was as horrified and traumatized as any of us that TFA was in office. As a teenager, I used to argue vociferously with him about the Vietnam War. Both my parents grew up in conservative families outside Scranton, PA. When I was 18, my dad was a lifelong Republican and Navy commander who used to brag, "I am the military-industrial complex!" and would pound his mighty chest. I'd just say, "Peace, man." :lol:

Now he and I are on the same page politically. He came around to my point of view. We still talk about politics on the phone and when we visit for many hours every year, but we never argue, we agree on everything. Ol' Wifehorn and I so lucky to have him and to be able to spend time with him, and he really likes it because we spoil him rotten and try to leave his place in better shape than when we arrived.

Now it's time to unpack and do laundry. :thumbsup:

Or the future.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug: You’re a lucky, good son, Leghorn.
Tiredretiredlawyer

:yeahthat:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”