Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Up Here in Bathysphere (or wherever it is)

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

:bighug: :bighug:
June bug

Post by June bug »

:bighug: :bighug:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:bighug:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

He's at peace, and so am I. I'll be sad for myself, but jeez, I can't be sad for him. He lived 95 years, and most of them were extremely good years. When he graduated from the Naval Academy in 1949, he was an officer in a military that truly did rule the world, at the very beginning of the Cold War.

He got to sail all around the world being badass for a living, without having to actually fight in any silly world wars.

I call that a win-win.

It's hard to imagine a more fulfilling, amazing, outstanding life, and I've done some stuff myself.

Today I gave him official notice that I will sing at his funeral, and my niece Mary will play piano and sing with me. :towel:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
realist

Post by realist »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Image X 4
Image X 32
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My step-mom died of congestive heart failure, as did my MIL. My Dusty had no diagnosis prior and she was terrified, not knowing exactly what was happening. MIL lived with it for over a year and passed in peace,

💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Hay, hay, hay, nothing bad has happened yet. I'ma save up all these hugs, but I am having a good day and about to go walk 4 miles. When I walk with ol' you know who, we only walk 2 miles, so I'm ready to go. I talked to my dad and he sounded okay, coherent if a little fuzzy around the edges. He said he plans to go back to his apartment soon, which is probably not going to happen but it's important that he has a plan.

I think maybe he might improve at the rehab. It's a super high-quality place. They know him and like him. He'll get the best possible care there, and then we'll see.

But today, he's okay and I'm okay and I just wanted to put the forum sorta on notice that I might unexpectedly disappear, like going to the ER a week ago. He might fool everybody and it ain't over yet. :thumbsup: :bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

:bighug: :lovestruck: :bighug:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy-

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Hey bud Foghorn. This all sucks, I know.

I have an elder uncle that has been in the hospital now for a week. Touch and go. He is crabby as all hell about it. All my uncle does is bitch about his "Obamacare" -- he is 80 and never had the ACA.

Best to your dad and your fambuly. .
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

My dad and I are exactly on the same page regarding Obamacare, Obama himself, and politics in general (and he gets Tricare and Medicare, I think). He has been paying attention to the news since he retired, and he has completely changed his political opinions. He will occasionally call me just to talk politics, and he knows what's going on. He voted for Obama twice, for Clinton, and for Joe Biden.

When I was in high school, we used to fight all the time about the Vietnam War. He was still an officer in the US Navy and I was a long-haired, pot-smoking, antiwar protester. I marched against the war. I was in riots. I used my VW bus to carry protesters to the hospital if they got beaten or too much tear gas. I got tear gassed, but not seriously. I was a committed enemy of Richard Nixon and I didn't hide my opinions.

But my dad was still in the Navy and obligated to support the war. His ship actually stood off the coast of Vietnam and fired shells into the country, his last assignment before we moved to Bathysphere or wherever it is. Did they shell villages with women and children? :shrug:

I never asked. I had enough conflict between him and my severely alcoholic mother. The day after I graduated high school at the very, very bottom of the class, I got in my VW bus and drove to San Francisco to be a hippie for the rest of my life, and I didn't call my parents for almost 3 years.

Had fun being a hippie in The City, though. :lol: 8-)
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: Thinking about you and your dad.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Foggy wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:11 am :(
(a post about how my dad might be near the end)
Nope.

The full story is, my sister Letitia, who lives nearby, and who is an RN (retired), scared the crap out of me that day, and I'm not suggesting she made any of it up, but she told me he was suffering from dementia all day in the hospital. Like, he was talking about the wonderful things they do in the hospital, and he was going to go down to the shooting range and shoot some rifles for a while.

He hasn't shot a rifle in 50 years. More, maybe. He's not a gun person. I don't know where that came from, but is there any possibility my sister made it up? No, there is no possibility.

So, umm ... yeah, when she said he was nearing the end, I deferred to her expertise, and she was in the room with him.

But since then, I have had at least 10 conversations with him, and he's been sharp in every one of them, even when he was too tired to talk. He is enjoying his rehab and we're going to get up there soon. He ain't on death's door, and that's what I like.

:banana:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Thinking of you and your family Foggy.

Your dad sounds awesome!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Glad to hear he's doing OK!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:banana: :banana: :banana:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I learned the hard way with mother and husband (a few years ago) that dementia in older adults can be a side effect of an infection.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I know, and dementia doesn't mean the end of life in any case.

But, like you said about your husband, he's the smartest man I've ever known. He was tutoring high school girls (my niece and her friends) in calculus when he was in his 80s. He is so very, very intelligent, and it's scary to lose that incredible brain. :daydreaming:

But he's sharp today ... and I'm danceable. :dance:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

So he just called, and he is, as advertised, going to fool everyone again and get back into his own apartment, in just two weeks. Because the doctors gave up on him (basically, he wouldn't agree to any invasive stuff so they sent him home to see what happens), he isn't under a doctor's care, which means the chief therapist gets to make the call on going from rehab back upstairs to his apartment.

'Course, he still has congestive heart failure. His prognosis isn't bright and sunny. But if he can get back to his own apartment and sleep in his own bed, then if one night his ticker gives out and he shuffles off the coil, that's exactly what he wants.

Not this month or this year, necessarily, but a painless death in his own bed is what he wants.

And he was so grateful last time, when we went up there the night before he was released to organize his return and make sure he was up and running, that we will definitely be doing the exact same thing this time. He knows that ol' Wifehorn is going to take charge of his life, and we might stay more than a week, but we talked about it.

He understands that ol' Wifehorn is gonna try to run your life, but she has good intentions. She doesn't do it because she gets money or power. She just has this deep inner conviction that you will have a much better life, if you would simply let her take charge of it.

She doesn't try that with me so much any more. Much. But she doesn't mind asking me what my immediate plans are, and then ... amending them. With good intentions, but I'm an ornery cuss. :daydreaming:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”