Up Here in Bathysphere (or wherever it is)

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, she likes him better than I do. :oopsy:

Gotta remember, he had me arrested by the police twice before I graduated from high school. And sided with my alcoholic mom way too much.

She died in 2005, and now I have the relationship with my dad that I should have had all my life. And I do, or maybe I'm just really trying, to forgive him for the stuff from hundreds of years ago, when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth.

But she doesn't have any negative history with him at all. She's his BFF, no doubt.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Tomorrow remind me to tell the story of the day he saved a toddler - the daughter of a friend of my mom - who was drowning at the bottom of a swimming pool. While my mom saved the babysitter, who couldn't swim, but it didn't stop her from jumping in (the wrong end of) the pool.

I learned additional details today. Amazing story, I promise.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh, shit. Rolled over in bed and dislocated the right shoulder again. Trying to help, overdid it. On the disabled list, ol' Wifehorn will drive home - and to the doctor's office.

Hurts to type. AFK for the foreseeable future. :wave:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy tp Doctor: It hurts when I go like this.

Doctor to Foggy: WELL DON'T GO LIKE THAT!
Has everybody heard about the bird?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Damn Foggy. Let us know if you run outta curse words. We'll put together a CARE package with some refill bottles and have it overnighted to you.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:54 am Oh, shit. Rolled over in bed and dislocated the right shoulder again. Trying to help, overdid it. On the disabled list, ol' Wifehorn will drive home - and to the doctor's office.

Hurts to type. AFK for the foreseeable future. :wave:
Ouch! I guess there was a reason the doc had you sleeping in a recliner!
Tiredretiredlawyer

bill_g wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:47 am Damn Foggy. Let us know if you run outta curse words. We'll put together a CARE package with some refill bottles and have it overnighted to you.
Great idea!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Your doctor needs to figure out why your shoulders dislocate that easily. That’s weird.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:34 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:47 am Damn Foggy. Let us know if you run outta curse words. We'll put together a CARE package with some refill bottles and have it overnighted to you.
Great idea!!!
It is, but I don't know his Medicare Plan. If he's like me on Kaiser, they keep me stocked up with everything. They even have these little travel vials of curse words in the OTC shelf outside the pharmacy that you can't find on Amazon. Love those guys.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I overdid it yesterday. My bad, 100%. We can't be here long enough to get everything done, and I want to help SO MUCH. But I did too much, and put a lot of strain on my good arm, because I kept thinking of things that must be done. Too many things that must be done.

So now I'm in a recliner, even better than the one I have at home. But I can't use my arm, and I have a pain level.

DAMMIT. :cussing: :smokeears:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

:crying: :bighug:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

WELL, GUESS WHO ISN'T A DOCTOR AND NEVER HAD A DAY OF MEDICAL SCHOOL? :oopsy:

YEAH, GUESS WHO CAN'T TELL IF HIS SHOULDER IS DISLOCATED OR NOT?
:blackeyebig:

I actually, after a series of x-rays, have zero dislocated shoulders, when I had more than competently diagnosed myself with at least one, and probably two.

Of course, the x-rays probably popped the device back together when nobody was looking. :think:

But I probably just overdid, trying to help him move out of the apartment.

So that's good news, and now I can start fizzikal therapy. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:59 pm WELL, GUESS WHO ISN'T A DOCTOR AND NEVER HAD A DAY OF MEDICAL SCHOOL? :oopsy:

YEAH, GUESS WHO CAN'T TELL IF HIS SHOULDER IS DISLOCATED OR NOT?
:blackeyebig:

I actually, after a series of x-rays, have zero dislocated shoulders, when I had more than competently diagnosed myself with at least one, and probably two.
Possibly three. :confuzzled:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thank heavens!

Don't do that again!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:oopsy: :bag:

:oldman:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Foggy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:28 pm Tomorrow remind me to tell the story of the day he saved a toddler - the daughter of a friend of my mom - who was drowning at the bottom of a swimming pool.
Well, tomorrow came and went, but the story is still a good one.

First, of course, is the amazing series of coincidences that made it possible to save two drowning people. My dad had a tennis date, but it got canceled. My mom wanted to stop at the drugstore, but decided to do it after our swim. Probably a few others. If any of those had delayed us another 60 seconds, the toddler and the babysitter would have both drowned. But we got there in time.

We had permission to go swim there, but we knew my mom's friends were out of town. So a nice, relaxed trip to use the pool, except when we got in the back yard, the toddler and the babysitter were drowning.

My dad went for the toddler at the bottom of the deep end, while my mom rescued the babysitter, who wasn't in real trouble. My job was to corral my four younger siblings, and keep them out of the way. My dad did CPR of a sort, this was 1964, and got the water out of the kid's lungs. My mom went in the house and called the doctor, who said: "Meet me at the hospital." They didn't have ambulances in La Jolla, California in 1964. Or maybe it was just faster to drive, back then.

When my dad took the toddler to the hospital, the doctor said, "She's had some water in her lungs, but she's fine. You did a good job." :towel:

... and twenty years later, he was honored at her wedding. "If he hadn't saved her life, she wouldn't be here today."

My dad.

Hero. :oldman:
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:07 am
Foggy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:28 pm Tomorrow remind me to tell the story of the day he saved a toddler - the daughter of a friend of my mom - who was drowning at the bottom of a swimming pool.
:snippity:
... and twenty years later, he was honored at her wedding. "If he hadn't saved her life, she wouldn't be here today."

My dad.

Hero. :oldman:
:thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I know, right? Nothing like that ever happened to me. I had some adventures, but save a little girl's life and go to her wedding twenty years later? Awesomeness. 8-)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

:clap:
101010 :towel:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:42 am I know, right? Nothing like that ever happened to me. I had some adventures, but save a little girl's life and go to her wedding twenty years later? Awesomeness. 8-)
That is amazing!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

For the first time in forever, I'm at a motel visiting my dad. Not a painful experience, but I miss the apartment and the traffic noise at night. He lives literally a hundred yards from a major freeway, but he has hearing problems after a gun fired a little too close to him on a Navy ship a hundred years or so ago. So the traffic noise never bothered him ... or me.

I got angst in my pants. :towel:

I came to his assisted living unit and found him still desperately struggling to get internet and TV, which he still does not have. Maddening. My idiot sisters and their husbands live right here, how can they let him have no TV when he's all alone in there? Goddammit.

So that's today. I am gonna get him hooked up, or my name isn't ... wait, my mom used to put nametags on the inside collar of my shirts. Whoever.

For the love of little baby ducks, I swear I came in the room and found him trying to work on coax cable with nothing but vise-grip pliers, which is really the wrong tool and he doesn't have the hand strength to make it work. So now you know why I always bring tools. My idiot brother-in-law took all his tools. I have asked my sister to return just a few.

Goddammit, a man needs his tools. Even when I'm too old and can't use them anymore, I want to look at them and remember.

And to leave him alone for weeks with no internet or TV! Why didn't they just take his phone, too also?

:cussing: :smokeears: :mad2: :fuckyou: :kickface:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”