Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Up Here in Bathysphere (or wherever it is)

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:23 pm
Foggy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:23 am Oh man. :mad:

Another dose of COVID-19 and he aspirated some vomit in the ambulance so he has aspiration pneumonia, and is right back in the hospital.
That's wrong. All wrong. 100% wrong.

Today he was told that he doesn't (and didn't) have Covid. It was a routine test they gave him when he was admitted, and it was a false positive. He has tested negative twice since arriving. He does have the aspiration pneumonia or whatever, but he says he was eating too quickly during his Wednesday night dinner, so he didn't have any episode in the ambulance.

But he does not have Covid, which is good because they will ask me before my surgery if I've been exposed, and they will probably take me to Gitmo and waterboard me if'n I tell 'em a fib.

And he will probably go back to rehab Monday, he needs three nights in the hospital to get a reset on the rehab.

Still, he doesn't have Covid, so I'm calling that a win-win, even if I don't know what the other one is.
:smoking:
:like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Umm ... yeah. Bathysphere is just north of our nation's capital, and they are under a RED ALERT for air quality because of the smoke drifting down from thoughtless Canuckistan and getting in people's eyebones, harrumph harrumph.

But my dad is up there, and today we drive. 8-) :dance:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Bring goggles and a respirator mask!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Smoke's all gone.

Whoa, long day yesterday, driving up was a pain in the butt, and then hours getting set up and talking to my dad.

Did I miss anything? :batting:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

So lemme take a minnit to relate ol' Dadhorn's medical updates:

1. He does not have COVID-19. However, he's quarantined for it through mañana because they think he might be a carrier, even though he tests negative and has no symptoms. It sucks, it's stupid, but ya can't fight city hall and it ends on Sunday morning anyway. We have to gown up to go in his room. :roll:

2. More importantly, he has stopped the "tremors" that were (apparently) caused by the new heart medication. They cut the dosage in half and the tremors went bye bye. So that's a big deal, and a good thing.

3. But even more importantly, he's still having real trouble walking in the rehab (I call it rehab for short, but it's really a skilled nursing facility, which is a term of art, any medical professional can tell you the difference between rehab and SNF)(I think). And the bottom line, non-negotiable, is that:

If he can't walk around his apartment using the rolleter or whatever it is, he can't live in his apartment, and he'll have to move into assisted living, which is another term of art that means you are a zombie, or so he thinks. Literally, he went to two different functions with the assisted living people and he said they were all a bunch of zombies. He hated it. He's very outgoing ( ;)) and he tried to make friends, and they wouldn't talk, or maybe they just had nothing interesting to say, I dunno. :shrug: He just knows he would hate assisted living.

But if he can't walk, he can't manage to live in his apartment.

So he has a goal in life, which is to walk again, and we will give him pep talks and coaching, but ... we can't walk for him. He has to do it. We will be back in 6 weeks and we'll have to see what he can do.

So that's where we are with him right now
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good luck! :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:04 pm :snippity:

If he can't walk around his apartment using the rolleter or whatever it is, he can't live in his apartment, and he'll have to move into assisted living, which is another term of art that means you are a zombie, or so he thinks. Literally, he went to two different functions with the assisted living people and he said they were all a bunch of zombies. He hated it. He's very outgoing ( ;)) and he tried to make friends, and they wouldn't talk, or maybe they just had nothing interesting to say, I dunno. :shrug: He just knows he would hate assisted living.

But if he can't walk, he can't manage to live in his apartment.

So he has a goal in life, which is to walk again, and we will give him pep talks and coaching, but ... we can't walk for him. He has to do it. We will be back in 6 weeks and we'll have to see what he can do.

So that's where we are with him right now
I could never use a walker/roller. I would tip over, usually sideways. Rehab people yelled at me and finally sent me home anyway. :biggrin: Then I found a lightweight wheelchair. I swung-away the footrests and used my feet & legs to move around. It was great! Safe and good exercise. No more rollers! And I could fold it in a snap and toss it in the car with one arm.

Now Amazon has a lot of lightweight chairs. I've been thinking about getting one to use in my apartment when my back aches.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I'm gonna run that by him, Lani. Great idea. :idea:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Hugs to Foggy and Dad. And :thumbsup: to Lani. I've seen those small chairs, and I sure wish we had one. It would have been a lot easier for me to maneuver and put in and out of my car when needed.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

He's going to find something. I showed him a lightweight wheelchair that was sitting in the hallway outside his room. He still has trouble doing transfers.

And he's been discouraged, which we are working on.

Today he gets out of quarantine. I'm gonna drive his Zoomer down and let him take it right back up to his own apartment, which will be a big thing for him. And we'll get takeout for dinner from his favorite restaurant tonight. Operation Cheerup.

And we have to do whatever we can do, because tomorrow we ride. :batting:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Good luck Foggy and Fogpa!

Dignity and a little joy in life are really important, especially as life becomes more difficult, go for it.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh, today is gonna be a hot one - 90° and 1% chance of rain.

So I will go walking early, my dad won't be ready to move until later.

And when I'm in Bathysphere or wherever it is, I walk the Bethesda Trolley Trail.

I love walking the Trail.

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

A cool contraption, the bicycle rescue station, found on the Trail.

It has wrenches, screwdrivers, a tire pump, all kinds of stuff you might need to fix your bike, and all made theft-proof with wire cables.

bike_rescue.jpg
bike_rescue.jpg (331.92 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
June bug

Post by June bug »

:bighug: You’re a good son, Foggy. Enjoy the trail! :bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

More from the Bethesda Trolley Trail - this is where you go to cross the freeway. Actually, you cross two different freeways, the 270 and the 495, but they both look like this:

where_you_go.jpg
where_you_go.jpg (341.48 KiB) Viewed 1187 times

And then when you get halfway across ...
what_you_see.jpg
what_you_see.jpg (289.96 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Please present current status report on The Convoy :rotflmao:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

'Tis June, and Santa is nowhere to be found. Nothing is stirring, not even a mouse. ;)
June bug

Post by June bug »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:14 pm 'Tis June, and Santa is nowhere to be found. Nothing is stirring, not even a mouse. ;)
And I guarantee you Santa will always be nowhere to be found around ‘t(h)is June! ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Well, we gave him so many high-quality pep talks, I'm adding "Life Coach" to my résumé. :biggrin:

But we can't walk for him. I told him to cheat if he has to. I told him to get creative. His mind is still strong, y'all know he's way smarter'n me. I told him my friend Lani was having mobility issues, and the therapists yelled at her and sent her home without the ability to use a rolleter, and she made it work for her. I told him to get a 'tude like that, and make it work.

Because he is not ready for assisted living. And I'm sure assisted living is very good in some places, but in this particular retirement community - which is otherwise 100% first rate - they have a lot of people who stare at the wall.

He went to an "ice cream social" in the assisted living center and tried to mingle, maybe start a few interesting conversations, maybe make some new friends.

They wouldn't talk to him. They didn't talk to each other. They were a bunch of fucking zombies, and he would have run away if'n his damned legs worked even a little. He went to a dinner in the assisted living center, they have a nice dining room, tablecloths and napkins and nice glasses and all, and good food.

There were about 15 people in the room, and it was dead silent. They walk in, sit down, eat quietly, and walk out. He didn't see any of them greet each other by name.

My dad is smart as hell and he's deeply, deeply interested in the world and everything that is, and everything that happens, and everything that matters. He read the entire Trump indictment, so he could understand it all. He doesn't think life is a spectator sport. If'n he met you, he would be fascinated to learn about you, and he would talk to you for hours. That's just who he is. He is a participant in everything he does, and he isn't ready for assisted living.

But the alternative is to learn to walk again and build those leg muscles and get creative and cheat if he has to, because he has to find a way to live in his apartment, with Lani's 'tude and his own personal brainbone.

I can't do it for him. I have my own issues. I have an endoscopy on Thursday, and reverse shoulder replacement surgery a week later. We can't get back up there for 6 weeks.

But we'll be back in 6 weeks and see what we can do to help him out. :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yesterday we brought his Zoomer chair down and he rode up to his apartment for a few hours, from about 2 pm until 9 (but we snuck him back in before the guards found the tunnel). He got a taste of what it will be like to live there again.

After dealing with a few immediate crises, like subscriptions and bills and so forth, he went into the guest room (where we sleep) because it doubles as his office, and that's where his main computer is. And I mean, he's good with his iPad downstairs, which is all he can have in the skilled nursing facility, but his main computer is his command center.

And in ten minutes he forgot we were there. It was so great. He was immersed in whatever he needed to do, and he spent an hour and a half doing it, and every ten minutes or so we'd call out from the living room: "You okay in there, Dad?"

"Yes, I just need a few more minutes." But what he didn't want was any help from either of us. On the computer, you can forget your physical issues. :biggrin:

Then we got takeout from his favorite restaurant, and kept him out of the SNF for as long as we dared, before they started hunting us or sumpin'.

So when we finally got him out of quarantine, he had a very good day. :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Go, Admiral Dadhorn! Go!! :cheer2: :cheer1:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

What’s “reverse shoulder replacement surgery?”
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt

Return to “Introduce Yourself”