Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Dominion v Fox - Dominion Voting Sues Fox News for $1.6B over 2020 Election Claims in Delaware

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Uninformed

Re: Dominion v Fox - Dominion Voting Sues Fox News for $1.6B over 2020 Election Claims in Delaware

Post by Uninformed »

People often make (even) less sense when trying to not say what they want to say.

ETA. Oh bugger, wrong topic :bag:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
SuzieC
Verified:

Re: Dominion v Fox - Dominion Voting Sues Fox News for $1.6B over 2020 Election Claims in Delaware

Post by SuzieC »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:59 pm
SuzieC wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:42 pm Stark County Ohio (Canton) declined to purchase Dominion machines after their wingnut Board of Elections voted against it. Will find the link.
Is that where there is still a "dry county' and I had drive to the edge of the county where there was a mega market drive-through right over the county line? All I wanted was a 6-pack of beer for my hotel room and I had to drive 3 miles to the county line (cause Jesus and they don't want the tax revenue) -- never been back after that contract job. Whatever ....
No, LOL. Ohio has no dry counties. Ohoians drink like fishes. Alcohol sales have shot through the roof during the pandemic.

Here's an article about decision to decline to purchase Dominion machines. Update: The Stark County Board of Elections has sued because it was the wingnut Board of County Commissioners who put the kibosh on Dominion.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/11/97593512 ... rters-balk

Edit actually upon second thought you're right. There were dry townships. My husband's parents used to live in one and we had to stop at the edge of the previous township to load up. They no longer exist, for the most part. It was Stark County so you may have found yourself there neonzx.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:42 pm Stark County Ohio (Canton) declined to purchase Dominion machines after their wingnut Board of Elections voted against it. Will find the link.
Dominion gave a bunch of examples in the complaint of business they've already lost or likely to lose; they assert the foolishness will cost them $600M in lost business. And $600M in reputational damage with potential investors/acquirers. Seems like a pretty straight line from the lies to the economic costs.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:26 pm
neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:59 pm Is that where there is still a "dry county' and I had drive to the edge of the county where there was a mega market drive-through right over the county line? All I wanted was a 6-pack of beer for my hotel room and I had to drive 3 miles to the county line (cause Jesus and they don't want the tax revenue) -- never been back after that contract job. Whatever ....
No, LOL. Ohio has no dry counties. Ohoians drink like fishes. Alcohol sales have shot through the roof during the pandemic.

Edit actually upon second thought you're right. There were dry townships. My husband's parents used to live in one and we had to stop at the edge of the previous township to load up. They no longer exist, for the most part. It was Stark County so you may have found yourself there neonzx.
Yeah, this was sometime in the 1990s and that's exactly where I was. The hotel (I think a Marriott Courtyard) front desk clerk (he was cool) told me where to go to get beers. Creepy religious-soaked part of the state. Never been back. Glad to hear they got with the times.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Dominion has subpoenaed Rudy Giuliani, Sidney Powell, and Mike Lindell in its $1.6 billion lawsuit against Fox News

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 5f?ocid=st
They now have to hand over documents related to their involvement with the news network, Bloomberg first reported.

All three had already been sued by Dominion for $1.3 billion each, over their role in spreading the debunked conspiracy theory that Dominion's voting machines "flipped" votes from former President Donald Trump to President Joe Biden during the 2020 election.

On March 26, Dominion also filed a lawsuit against Fox News. The $1.6 billion suit claimed that the network gave prominence to the election-fraud conspiracy as a tactic to revive its ratings. Fox News has consistently denied this claim, and has said it is "proud of our 2020 election coverage."

As part of the lawsuit, Dominion subpoenaed Giuliani, Powell, and Lindell on Monday, a filing in state court in Delaware shows.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

orlylicious wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:27 pm
Dominion gave a bunch of examples in the complaint of business they've already lost or likely to lose; they assert the foolishness will cost them $600M in lost business. And $600M in reputational damage with potential investors/acquirers. Seems like a pretty straight line from the lies to the economic costs.
In Ohio, county boards of election are required to be composed of an equal number of appointed republicans and democrats. County boards of commissioners are composed of three elected officials, and, of course, it is entirely possible for them all to be from the same party. I don't know the makeup of the Stark County board of commissioners.

Personal note, Start County is named after my seventh-great-grandfather (my paternal grandmother's side), revolutionary general John Stark. He actually never set foot in Ohio. He was an investor in the Western Reserve Land Company, a Connecticut (I believe) company that bought a lot of land in the newly opened Western Reserve.

Two counties, Summit (Akron) and Cuyahoga (Cleveland) have a County Council form of government. In Cuyahoga County, there are eleven council members, elected from districts in the county.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

:thumbsup: :popcorn: Bloomberg an hour ago:
Dominion Voting Sues Fox, Seeking Election Evidence From Murdochs
Erik Larson 1 hr ago

(Bloomberg) -- Dominion Voting Systems Inc., the company falsely accused of rigging the 2020 presidential election, sued Fox Corp. in an effort to gain access to Chairman Rupert Murdoch’s documents about its coverage of the contest. Dominion is trying to find out how much Murdoch and his eldest son, Fox Corp. Chief Executive Officer Lachlan Murdoch, were involved in Fox News’s broadcasting of bogus claims that Dominion conspired with foreign hackers to flip millions of votes away from then-President Donald Trump.

Dominion sued Fox News in March, but the network has balked at searching the Murdochs’ documents, Dominion said in a suit filed in Delaware state court. “Indeed, Fox News has disclaimed any responsibility for searching or producing the Murdochs’ documents, or working to facilitate any discovery from Fox Corporation at all -- despite Fox Corporation’s clear involvement (through Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch, and others) in managing Fox News, including through editorial input and control,” Dominion said.

The searches are warranted because the Murdochs “exert direct control” over editorial decisions at Fox News, which Dominion accused of pushing the conspiracy theory to avoid losing viewers who supported Trump, according to the complaint, filed Monday. The claims were repeatedly made on-air by Rudy Giuliani, one of Trump’s main lawyers in the fight to overturn the election results, and former Trump campaign attorney Sidney Powell.

“The filing today changes nothing of substance in this case,” Fox Corp. said in an emailed statement. “Fox is proud of our 2020 election coverage, which stands in the highest tradition of American journalism, and we will continue to vigorously defend against this baseless lawsuit in court.”

Dominion is fighting to salvage its reputation even as millions of Americans continue to believe the conspiracy theory, which helped trigger the deadly Jan. 6 Capitol riot by a mob of Trump’s supporters. “This lawsuit is a continuation of Dominion’s efforts to hold accountable all Fox entities that participated in the harmful defamation campaign against Dominion,” the Denver-based company said in a statement on Wednesday. The suit comes as a judge in Delaware is weighing Fox News’s motion to dismiss the earlier lawsuit on the grounds that the network’s reporting on claims about election fraud is protected by the First Amendment.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... d=msedgntp
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
tek

Post by tek »

Fox is proud of our 2020 election coverage, which stands in the highest tradition of American journalism
So you have nothing to hide!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Good thing I accidentally doubled my Boy Scout popcorn order.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:blissy: :blissy:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Here's the Denial, it's a good and well-done decision.

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads ... -EMD-1.pdf
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:29 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:50 am Yeah but, US Chillin Out Voting Systems Inc doesn't have quite the appeal.
Dammit, now I want to found US Supervillain Volcano Dungeon Doom Fortress Voting Systems, LLC.
Okay, but your main product has to be candy bars.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

So, now that we move onto the next step in a seemingly infinite series of steps:

I suspect that discovery with interrogatories and other documentation will be requested. I further suspect that the various actors named in the suit and others behind the scenes will have their depositions taken over the next 18 months or so.

Questions: If Fox offers to settle, should Dominion agree? Can Dominion insist that Fox and their "agents" admit their wrongful acts as part of the settlement, instead of the customary "neither confirms or denies the allegations in the complaint" bullshit?

Should Dominion risk a trial to get all the discovery into the public eye?

Any damages that Dominion will ultimately receive one way or another won't hurt Fox' financial position much. But I just want the world to know how devious, greedy, and unscrupulous Fox News is.

A feller can wish, can't he?
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

IMHO, Dominion cannot afford a confidential no-harm no-foul settlement -- they need a public admission from Fox/jury that they did nothing wrong and absolutely everything correct in order to continue in business. Now, Fox could agree to that, still pay a billion or so and be just fine -- they have deep pockets and at the end of the day they will still retain the right wing nut jobs. Newsmax/OANN are fucked IMO -- they don't have deep enough pockets so they will have to crawl and beg and publicly humiliate themselves..
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:mrgreen: Can’t wait!
filly

Post by filly »

woodworker wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:31 pm IMHO, Dominion cannot afford a confidential no-harm no-foul settlement -- they need a public admission from Fox/jury that they did nothing wrong and absolutely everything correct in order to continue in business. Now, Fox could agree to that, still pay a billion or so and be just fine -- they have deep pockets and at the end of the day they will still retain the right wing nut jobs. Newsmax/OANN are fucked IMO -- they don't have deep enough pockets so they will have to crawl and beg and publicly humiliate themselves..
ITA. Fox et al have done tremendous damage to Dominion’s business. A confidential settlement won’t cut it. But will we need voting machines under fascist rule?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Fox News stars questioned by election tech company in defamation case

Dominion Voting Systems has deposed Tucker Carlson, Jeanine Pirro and others in its $1.6 billion suit to try to prove the network knew wild election claims were false

Some of the biggest stars on Fox News are being compelled to answer questions about their coverage of the 2020 presidential election as a $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit from an election technology company that claims its reputation was ruined by the network’s airing of baseless fraud allegations picks up steam.

Lawyers for Dominion Voting Systems last week questioned hosts Jeanine Pirro and Tucker Carlson, while former Fox Business Network host Lou Dobbs and Fox News’s Sean Hannity are scheduled for depositions on Tuesday and Wednesday, according to court filings.

They are among the on-air personalities that Dominion says defamed it either by falsely claiming the company conspired to rig the election against Donald Trump or by repeatedly hosting guests who made such claims.

But Dominion has also deposed former and current Fox personnel who never subscribed to such claims — including longtime news anchor Shepard Smith, who left Fox nearly three years ago and now works for CNBC, as well as behind-the-scenes players like producers and bookers — in what appears to be an effort to probe the internal culture and reporting practices of the highest-rated cable news network.
:snippity:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/20 ... n-hannity/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Did Pirro drink before her deposition, ya think?

I wonder if Tucker Carlson was anxious?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Uh-oh.
Fox producer's warning against Jeanine Pirro surfaces in Dominion defamation suit

The November 2020 email from an anguished Fox News news producer to colleagues sent up a flare amid a fusillade of false claims.

The producer warned: Fox cannot let host Jeanine Pirro back on the air. She is pulling conspiracy theories from dark corners of the Web to justify then-President Donald Trump's lies that the election had been stolen from him. The existence of the email, confirmed by two people with direct knowledge of it, is first publicly disclosed by NPR in this story. Fox News declined comment.

Pirro was far from alone in broadcasting such false claims. In the weeks that followed Election Day 2020, other prominent Fox stars, commentators and their guests heavily promoted them.

A repeat target was Dominion Voting Systems, the election machine and technology company. Trump and his allies alleged on Fox that Dominion was engaged in a conscious effort to throw the 2020 race to Joe Biden. They implied and falsely asserted on Fox programs that Dominion's machines and software either discarded Trump's votes or transferred them to Biden. Dominion argues their false claims were frequently egged on by Fox's own stars.

The producer's email is among the voluminous correspondence acquired by Dominion's attorneys as part of its discovery of evidence in a $1.6 billion defamation suit it filed against Fox News and its parent company. Dominion alleges it has been "irreparably harmed" by the lies, conspiracy theories and wild claims of election fraud that aired on Fox.
:snippity:
https://www.npr.org/2022/09/06/11211875 ... suit-pirro
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

I really don't see the problem here. If it was pulled of the internet then it was, by definition, impeccably researched, sourced and vetted. After all, it couldn't be on the Internet if it was true!!!!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

woodworker wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:28 pm I really don't see the problem here. If it was pulled of the internet then it was, by definition, impeccably researched, sourced and vetted. After all, it couldn't be on the Internet if it was true!!!!
Sadly, that will be the defense.

They’ll say Perrino wasn’t acting in reckless disregard of the truth or falsity of the defamatory statements. Instead, they’ll say, she was souring the darkest corners of the internet looking to confirm what she was hearing, as any responsible journalist would do since the mainstream media doesn’t have a monopoly on the truth.

It’s bullshit, I know, but mark my words. They’ll spin this as the nervous rantings of one Henny Penny news producer, and offer it up as proof that they were not acting with reckless disregard.

EXCEPT: I do recall that at some point fairly early on the network, Fox, at least, stopped with the claims about the electronic voting machines, and might have issued a correction, but I might be misremembering that part. Anyhoo, the timing of the email in relationship to those events (if I remember them correctly :oldlady: ) might matter.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:08 am
woodworker wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:28 pm I really don't see the problem here. If it was pulled of the internet then it was, by definition, impeccably researched, sourced and vetted. After all, it couldn't be on the Internet if it was true!!!!
Sadly, that will be the defense.

They’ll say Perrino wasn’t acting in reckless disregard of the truth or falsity of the defamatory statements. Instead, they’ll say, she was souring the darkest corners of the internet looking to confirm what she was hearing, as any responsible journalist would do since the mainstream media doesn’t have a monopoly on the truth.

It’s bullshit, I know, but mark my words. They’ll spin this as the nervous rantings of one Henny Penny news producer, and offer it up as proof that they were not acting with reckless disregard.

EXCEPT: I do recall that at some point fairly early on the network, Fox, at least, stopped with the claims about the electronic voting machines, and might have issued a correction, but I might be misremembering that part. Anyhoo, the timing of the email in relationship to those events (if I remember them correctly :oldlady: ) might matter.
Or that, she was not actually supporting those outrageous theories, she was simply reporting on them. Kind of like when TFG says "People are saying . . ." before he spews his verbal filth.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”