Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus One Year, And More, Later

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Coronavirus One Year, And More, Later

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Question:

Should someone who had covid get vaccinated?

Hubby's brother says he had covid and is against vaccinations (although he himself is a scientist). We learned this after brother visited their mother, age 90, who has terminal breast cancer with an open tumor on the outside of her chest area.

Should Hubby require brother to mask up when visiting Mom? Any research on covid repeating itself in individuals who have had it?

Thank you!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

AFAIK, people that have had covid will benefit from the vax. It gives them better immunity.

Mister requiring Brother to mask up is an entirely different matter. It's probably slightly less dangerous than standing in front of trains.
Tiredretiredlawyer

bill_g wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:53 am AFAIK, people that have had covid will benefit from the vax. It gives them better immunity.

Mister requiring Brother to mask up is an entirely different matter. It's probably slightly less dangerous than standing in front of trains.
That is an understatement. Brother is narcissistic, fundamentalist, "good Christian" who has visited mom twice for less than 10 hours each visit.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:02 am
bill_g wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:53 am AFAIK, people that have had covid will benefit from the vax. It gives them better immunity.

That is an understatement. Brother is narcissistic, fundamentalist, "good Christian" who has visited mom twice for less than 10 hours each visit.
Then at this point it is probably pointless to try to stop him. Hopefully Mister won't let it eat him up. I think he's going to have to be the willow, and bend to the wind. But you get to stand out of the way of Hurricane Hubby if it developes. Ugh.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:50 am Question:

Hubby's brother says he had covid and is against vaccinations (although he himself is a scientist). We learned this after brother visited their mother, age 90, who has terminal breast cancer with an open tumor on the outside of her chest area.

Should Hubby require brother to mask up when visiting Mom? Any research on covid repeating itself in individuals who have had it?

Thank you!
Yes. Natural immunity wanes faster than vaccine-derived immunity, at least for the first 6 months, and a single vaccination can boost immunity by 50% in someone who previously had Covid.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:50 am Question:

Thank you!
Easy enough to get antibody level from a simple blood test. According to my docs, anything over 250 is good. Below that needs a vax.

And do you even know for sure he had it, or is he just saying that to be obstinate?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Everyone should wear a mask when visiting folks such as the woman you describe. Vaxxed or unvaxxed. As a precautionary measure.

Done.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

As an alternative, have Hubby's brother get a good Covid test kit (such as BinaxNOW) and test himself before he sees his mother.

As we move into the Thanksgiving / Christmas seasons, I may be seeing more relatives. I now have a couple of test kits (2 test per kit) and I plan on testing myself before I see these relatives. I do NOT want to be responsible for spreading Covid if I happen to have a breakthrough asymptomatic case.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Thanks, everyone. Hubby is the most diplomatic, empathetic person evah. He has power of attorney and is primary caretaker of his mom. She told me she feels safe with him.

I will pass info along to him.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:27 pm … She told me she feels safe with him…
That is so special. :thumbsup:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Lani

Post by Lani »

I personally know 2 people who had covid, both hospitalized, and one was intubated for 3 weeks. 3 months later neither of them had antibodies. Both of them now tell people about their experiences and strongly encourage everyone to get vaccinated. One asks people what scares them about the vaccine, and then tells them what was scary for him - being told he was being sedated so he can be intubated. He thought that was the last few minutes of his life.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
tek

Post by tek »

too also, IIRC you can still carry the virus even if you have immunity.

But I'm not an immunologist or a congressman.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... erference/
The Trump administration repeatedly interfered with efforts by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last year to issue warnings and guidance about the evolving coronavirus pandemic, six current and former health officials told congressional investigators in recent interviews.

One of those officials, former CDC senior health expert Nancy Messonnier, warned in a Feb. 25, 2020, news briefing that the virus’s spread in the United States was inevitable — a statement that prompted anger from President Donald Trump and led to the agency’s media appearances being curtailed, according to interview excerpts and other documents released Friday by the House select subcommittee on the pandemic.

The new information, including statements from former White House coronavirus coordinator Deborah Birx, confirms prior reporting and offers additional detail on how the pandemic response unfolded at the highest levels of government.

“Our intention was certainly to get the public’s attention about the likelihood … that it was going to spread and that we thought that there was a high risk that it would be disruptive,” Messonnier told the panel in an Oct. 8 interview. But her public warning led to private reprimands, including from then-Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, she said

:snippity:

The officials also corroborated that Trump appointees pressured the agency to change its regular research papers, the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports, to better align with the White House’s more optimistic messaging about the state of the virus.

The panel separately released emails that detailed how White House officials sought to shape CDC guidance on how meatpacking plants and faith groups should take precautions when responding to the virus.
No big surprises here, but it's a free Washington Post article.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.axios.com/omicron-coronavir ... f6760.html
New data from South Africa and Europe hint that Omicron cases are poised to explode in the U.S., where the vast majority of the population isn't well protected against infection.

Driving the news: A new analysis by South Africa's largest private insurer paints a picture of Omicron's clinical risk: Two doses of Pfizer's vaccine appear to be significantly less effective against severe disease with Omicron than previous variants.

But the variant is less likely to lead to hospitalization in adults than the original version.

What they're saying: "Everything points to a large wave. A large wave is coming," a senior Biden administration official told Axios.
Here we go again. :(
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:06 am https://www.axios.com/omicron-coronavir ... f6760.html
New data from South Africa and Europe hint that Omicron cases are poised to explode in the U.S., where the vast majority of the population isn't well protected against infection.
Here we go again. :(
Yeah, I've been watching it spread across the world and the rising cases in the NE US. (I need a different hobby :( )

Now cases are up 122% in Hawaii, so it's here and will be rapidly rising.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... 5-million/
The coronavirus pandemic led to nearly 15 million excess deaths worldwide, according to a new estimate by the World Health Organization, including people who died from covid-19 and others who died from indirect causes such as health care shortages as the virus surged and overwhelmed hospitals.

The WHO defines excess deaths as “the difference between the number of deaths that have occurred and the number that would be expected in the absence of the pandemic based on data from earlier years.”

Most of the excess deaths during the first two years of the pandemic were concentrated in Southeast Asia, Europe, and the Americas, the WHO said in a news release. More than two-thirds occurred in just 10 countries.

“These sobering data not only point to the impact of the pandemic but also to the need for all countries to invest in more resilient health systems that can sustain essential health services during crises, including stronger health information systems,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director General said in a statement.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It's now four years later.

Republicans are asking "Are you better now than you were four years ago?" They obviously have forgotten about the early years of Covid!

Four years ago tomorrow my very beloved aunt passed away (old age, not Covid). My siblings were planning on flying to the Cities to go her funeral in Duluth. Aunt Norma had so many friends! The church would have been packed. Three days later I got the word that my cousin, after discussions with the pastor, decided to cancel the funeral and have just a small prayer service instead. That was to be the new normal for funerals. It's long enough ago, now, that I don't remember if I saw a live stream of it or a recording of it. I do like that more things are being live streamed and that more people can work, at least partly, from home.

But four years ago were horrible.

By the way, a link to the old Fogbow's topic - Coronavirus Cancellations & Postponements / Business Disruptions / Travel & Events COVID-19
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I can't remember which republican said it recently (Nikki Haley?), but one of them used three years, instead of four years. But, yeah, the standard question has always been four years.

And I remember March 13, 2019, very well. :(
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Four years ago two events I wanted to go to were canceled. In a few days, four years ago I left the workplace for what I thought would be a few weeks, not to return for almost a year and a half. Strange and awful time, and it's already being forgotten by too many.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Four years later and I have been back in the office only a few times. My day job is probably getting the benefit as I find myself working later when I get focused on something and don't need to watch the time for catching a train.

Okay, we both benefit because this makes my introvert very happy.
101010 :towel:

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”