Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

UFOs

MsDaisy
Verified:

UFOs

Post by MsDaisy »

UFO report details ‘difficult to explain’ sightings, says US ex-intelligence director
US military pilots and satellites have recorded ‘a lot more’ UFO sightings than have been made public, John Ratcliffe says
US military pilots and satellites have recorded “a lot more” sightings of unidentified flying objects, or UFOs, than have been made public, Donald Trump’s former intelligence director John Ratcliffe said.

Asked on Fox News about a forthcoming government report on “unidentified aerial phenomena”, Ratcliffe said the report would document previously unknown sightings from “all over the world”.

“Frankly, there are a lot more sightings than have been made public,” he said.

“Some of those have been declassified. And when we talk about sightings, we are talking about objects that have been seen by navy or air force pilots, or have been picked up by satellite imagery, that frankly engage in actions that are difficult to explain, movements that are hard to replicate, that we don’t have the technology for.

“Or traveling at speeds that exceed the sound barrier without a sonic boom.”

The UFO report must be published by early June, pursuant to a clause in a Covid relief and spending package signed by Trump before he left office.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -sightings

My dad was top turret gunner, flight engineer in a B17 bomber over Germany in WW2. He finally admitted a story of seeing a UFO “of some sort” that mirrored their moves for some time before shooting off at “warp speed” on their way back to England after a run. He said they never reported it because doing such a thing would have brought ridicule beyond measure.
Liz

Re: UFOs

Post by Liz »

Nowadays with all the "movie cameras" carried in our pockets, why aren't there more video's of UFO's, Nessie and BigFoot being captured?
I think maybe it could be that fuzzy 8mm films were easier to fake than modern digital video's.

I'm not saying UFO sightings aren't real or don't happen. I would like if ET's would make themselves known and see the result of how it would change our world, our beliefs and how it would effect our self perceptions
Nevertheless, I don't believe there are other world beings visiting us or BigFoot's or Nessie's.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Liz wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:37 pm

I'm not saying UFO sightings aren't real or don't happen. I would like if ET's would make themselves known and see the result of how it would change our world, our beliefs and how it would effect our self perceptions
If aliens come to this planet, then would pass by locking their doors like one would when driving through a bad neighborhood...

And with good reason, with our slash and burn mentality and alien advanced technology, we'd look upon other planets with greed in our eyes...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I absolutely believe in UNIDENTIFIED flying objects. They happen all the time. Any time you see something moving in the sky and you don't know what it is, that is an unidentified flying object.

The trouble is, when you argue that they are alien spacecraft, you are immediately identifying them. They are no longer UFO's.

I do not believe for a moment that earth has been visited by intelligent creatures from another planet.

The current state of knowledge regarding physics makes it highly problematic to consider a spacecraft coming to earth from another planet. As far as we know, no planet in our own solar system is home to any kind of life intelligent and technologically advanced enough to attempt interplanetary travel.

Einstein tells us that nothing with mass can travel faster than light, or even AT the speed of light. I think I read somewhere that, even at half the speed of light, it would take more than 1,000 years to travel from Alpha-Centauri, the closest star other than our own, to earth. And 1,000 years to get back. Most stellar systems are hundreds or thousand (or millions or billions) of light-years away.

A thousand years ago, any astronomers looking at earth would not have seen any signs of technology, so why come here. To eat us?

I know that some theories of physics are questioning whether Einstein's speed limit is real or not, but right now, no one has explained exactly how faster-than-light travel might be achieved. So, I suppose it is possible that some advanced civilization has figured out how to do it. As always, though, those who question the "immutable" laws of physics bear the burden of showing how such laws are incomplete.

Some UFO enthusiasts posit that such advanced civilizations exist. I have no doubt that civilizations more technologically advanced than ours exist. The trouble is, they then try to shift the burden to "prove that they don't exist", which, of course is impossible. That also doesn't answer the question of how they travel faster than light.

That is how science works. Einstein noticed some discrepancies in the Newtonian explanation of the universe. He came up with a better approximation. But the inability to reconcile relativity and quantum mechanics shows that both explanations are incomplete and, at least in some small measure, incorrect. Right now, our understanding of relativity seems to do a pretty good job of explaining the macro universe; the motion of planets, stars and galaxies. Quantum physics explains the extremely small universe inside atoms equally as well. But when either theory is used to explain its opposite, it falls apart. Relativity simply falls apart at sub-atomic distances, just as QM does when used to explain the movement of galaxies.

Now, if Klaatu and Gort were to land in a Washington, D.C. park and thus provide undeniable proof that alien spacecraft DO exist. I will believe.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I know that some theories of physics are questioning whether Einstein's speed limit is real or not, but right now, no one has explained exactly how faster-than-light travel might be achieved.
Au contraire, mi amigo. Every science fiction author alive today has a perfectly good explanation of FTL travel. Are you saying they're ALL wrong? :think:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Foggy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:35 am
I know that some theories of physics are questioning whether Einstein's speed limit is real or not, but right now, no one has explained exactly how faster-than-light travel might be achieved.
Au contraire, mi amigo. Every science fiction author alive today has a perfectly good explanation of FTL travel. Are you saying they're ALL wrong? :think:
First you start with a generous amount of handwavium....

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/handwavium
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Foggy
Dick Tater

UFOs

Post by Foggy »

In the book I'm currently reading, Earthlings develop FTL travel about five hundred years in the future, but somebody messes up and a big ship goes in a wormhole that takes them a) to another galaxy b) 2,500 years in our past.

So by today, homo sapiens has managed to populate many planets in another galaxy, and their tech is, y'know, 3,000 years advanced beyond ours.

No, no, totally believable! It's FTL and Time Travel in one neat little package!
:shrug: :crazy:
much ado

UFOs

Post by much ado »

OK, what book is that?
Foggy
Dick Tater

UFOs

Post by Foggy »

Just kind of a fun series, I read a lot of stuff like this. Backyard Starship is another fun series.

There are 10 books in the Starship for Sale series, and 14 books in the Backyard Starship series. I've read all 14 of the latter, only a book and a half of the former. Backyard Starship is wonderful fun with really likeable characters, lots of witty dialog, and an interesting storyline.

I'm gonna wear out mah Kindle. :blackeye:

Return to “Astronomy”