Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Washington, DC - Next State?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
AndyinPA
Verified:

Washington, DC - Next State?

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/washington ... -congress/
As the House prepares to take up the issue this week of statehood for the District of Columbia, a new national poll finds that 54% of likely voters think D.C. should be a state, a record high level of support.

The poll, conducted by Data for Progress and the progressive advocacy coalition Democracy for All 2021 Action and shared first with CBS News, shows 74% of Democratic respondents approve of statehood for D.C., along with 34% of Republicans.

The poll found that clear majorities among likely voters in urban (57%) and suburban (56%) areas, as well as in swing states (57%), support D.C. statehood to allow for voting representation in Congress. About half of voters in rural areas of the country agree.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Re: Washington, DC - Next State?

Post by Azastan »

Please change the name of the new state to something other than 'Washington'.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Azastan wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:56 pm Please change the name of the new state to something other than 'Washington'.
It would have to be changed, wouldn't it? There already is a state of Washington.

Columbia is the obvious choice, it seems, but there could be others.

East Washington? (sort of like North and South Carolina or Dakota).

Potomac?

Would it require a constitutional amendment to admit DC as a state? It is described, albeit not be name, in the Constitution.

I just had a thought. DC is largely a democratic enclave, so let's name it Trump. It would mess with his little mind (and those of his supporters) that the new state of Trump is a heavily blue state. The trouble is, he would see it as a badge of honor that somehow elevated him to the level of George Washington, the same way he misinterpreted Time Magazine's "Man of The Year" designation as a great honor.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:thumbsup:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

noblepa wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:31 pm
It would have to be changed, wouldn't it? There already is a state of Washington.

I just had a thought. DC is largely a democratic enclave, so let's name it Trump. It would mess with his little mind (and those of his supporters) that the new state of Trump is a heavily blue state. The trouble is, he would see it as a badge of honor that somehow elevated him to the level of George Washington, the same way he misinterpreted Time Magazine's "Man of The Year" designation as a great honor.
Obamaland. :lol:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Or Obamalama. Nicely musical.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Arguing against statehood for DC, congressman says it has no car dealerships (it does)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/22/politics ... index.html
Hice, a Georgia Republican who has been in Congress since 2015, announced that he was running for Georgia secretary of state. He received the endorsement of former President Donald Trump.

Then Hice argued that the District of Columbia should not be a state, in part because it does not have a car dealership. Next, he apologized after being told that DC does have car dealerships -- though he explained that he still did not know where to find one.

:snippity:

Hice, warning that DC gets some special funding from the federal government, said the country's founders wanted to avoid the district becoming "first among states." He continued: "DC would be the only state, the only state, without an airport, without a car dealership, without a capital city, without a landfill. ..."

Except DC does have car dealerships, as a Google search or visit to the DC Department of Motor Vehicles website -- or perhaps a leisurely drive around town -- would have shown.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It could go from District of Columbia to State of Columbia.

I think, generally speaking, in this part of the country we tend to refer to it mostly as just DC. For one thing, there's a small city 30 miles south of Pittsburgh called Washington, so it's less confusing. I can remember when it was called Little Washington, but lately I seem to hear it just Washington and the nation's capital called DC.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:45 pm It could go from District of Columbia to State of Columbia.

I think, generally speaking, in this part of the country we tend to refer to it mostly as just DC. For one thing, there's a small city 30 miles south of Pittsburgh called Washington, so it's less confusing. I can remember when it was called Little Washington, but lately I seem to hear it just Washington and the nation's capital called DC.
But there's already a country named Colombia. It'd be like 'Georgia', but worse!
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Piss off the poots & call it Jefferson.
Image Image Image Image
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Azastan wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:49 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:45 pm It could go from District of Columbia to State of Columbia.

But there's already a country named Colombia. It'd be like 'Georgia', but worse!
Also, Columbia sounds too much like Columbus, which is problematic in and of itself.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://blog.philosophicalsociety.org/2 ... n-goddess/
...Columbia was the mythical figure adopted by the founding generation of the early United States. After the defeat of the British in 1783, America found itself free from international harassment and a wide open frontier of unknowable bounty. What was needed was an icon, a symbol by which to galvanize and direct the consciousness of the American people. By the late 1790’s, Columbia was born. Columbia quickly became the patron saint of Manifest Destiny, the doctrine of westward expansion embraced with genocidal fervor by the pioneers and politicians alike.

Columbia’s figure appears on or within many state and federal buildings constructed in the 19th century, usually cast in bronze and often pointing or facing West. She adorns the Wisconsin Capitol building, sculpted by the same Daniel Chester French who constructed the greatest rendition of Columbia in history, the 65-foot-tall Statue of the Republic commissioned for the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition held in Chicago, Illinois. She reposes atop the Texas Capitol holding the sword of Justice and raising aloft a blazing golden star. She lends her name to numerous towns across America, she is the patron of Columbia University and the seat of governmental power stands in a district built in her honor: The District of Columbia.

Columbia as a symbol is far too complex and deeply-rooted to be ascribed as a creation of political machinations. Columbia is only the latest name given to a goddess who is older than recorded history and can be traced in her modern form to the early Egyptian dynasties. She has been known throughout history variously as Inanna and Ishtar by the Sumerians, Kali by the Hindus, Freya by the Norse and most notably as Isis by the ancient Egyptians. She is the goddess of love, wisdom, warfare and destiny and is venerated by all cultures as the mother of civilization. In the original
Just sayin'.

I like Jefferson, but I'm sure there are those who would have problems with that. I think once in history we almost had a State of Jefferson somewhere around Missouri.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Jefferson (proposed Pacific state)”:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson ... fic_state)

“The State of Jefferson is a proposed U.S. state that would span the contiguous, mostly rural area of southern Oregon and northern California, where several attempts to separate from Oregon and California, respectively, have taken place.”

The poots have already claimed that one.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Uninformed wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:54 pm “Jefferson (proposed Pacific state)”:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson ... fic_state)

“The State of Jefferson is a proposed U.S. state that would span the contiguous, mostly rural area of southern Oregon and northern California, where several attempts to separate from Oregon and California, respectively, have taken place.”

The poots have already claimed that one.
That's right. Now I'll have to figure out what the one somewhere around Missouri was.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

I'm good with Columbia, the once female personification of freedom in the US, before Ms. Liberty replaced her by the early 1920's.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Apparently the DC Admission Act has already come up with a name for the new state. According to the Act now before Congress, the new state would be called "Washington, Douglass Commonwealth."

Ick.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:44 pm Apparently the DC Admission Act has already come up with a name for the new state. According to the Act now before Congress, the new state would be called "Washington, Douglass Commonwealth."

Ick.
I don't like that name at all.

Not that I have anything against Frederick Douglass. I just don't think it is appropriate. I would prefer Columbia, with Jefferson a close second.

Jody Hice (R-GA) argues that the city should not be a state because it has no car dealerships (it does), a capital city, an airport or a landfill. I didn't know that any of those things were a requirement for statehood. You learn something new every day.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/22/politics ... index.html

Perhaps it could be named Lincoln. President Lincoln did not own slaves (quite the opposite), so he wouldn't carry the racial baggage that some might see with Jefferson. He held the union together in its time of greatest existential peril.

I presume that the city would still be known as Washington, so that would lead to the unfortunate address of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington, Lincoln.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

To me (a furriner) the District of Columbia becoming the State of Columbia seems both obvious and fitting.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Uninformed wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:33 pm To me (a furriner) the District of Columbia becoming the State of Columbia seems both obvious and fitting.
I agree. But what should the state abbreviation be? 'SC' is already taken.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

much ado wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:38 pm
Uninformed wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:33 pm To me (a furriner) the District of Columbia becoming the State of Columbia seems both obvious and fitting.
Hmmm.

So is CO, CA.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

CB is still available.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:59 pm
Hmmm.

So is CO, CA.
CU, done. [mic drop]
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I suppose that the abbreviation could remain DC. This would simplify things for all those computer systems containing mailing addresses in the city.

If some other abbreviation were chosen, a lot of organizations would have to change all those addresses. Furthermore, the post office would have to, at least for a few years, recognize both DC and the new abbreviation as referring to the same place. Their sorting computers would have to be reprogrammed, and we all know how competent the current post office management is.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

They can even keep calling it the District of Columbia. It can be just another way of saying State with no separate legal meaning — sort of like Commonwealth.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:16 am They can even keep calling it the District of Columbia. It can be just another way of saying State with no separate legal meaning — sort of like Commonwealth.
Commonwealth of Columbia CC has a nice ring to it.

Return to “Current Politics”