Gun Control

Gregg

Re: Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

Big deal.

They had dozens of boats running circles in Florida for Ron DeSantis today.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Dave from down under wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:36 pm https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-12/ ... /101145940

Thousands of demonstrators have descended on Washington DC and across the United States, calling on politicians to pass legislation aimed at curbing gun violence following last month's massacre at a Texas elementary school.
:snippity:

MFOL later retweeted a video of the scare, saying it showed "the daily trauma that ALL of us live with in this country".

:twisted: think of the trauma had the peoples caravan showed up :twisted:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Details at link. We’ll see. Color me jaded.
Chris Murphy @ChrisMurphyCT wrote: 🚨NEWS: We have a deal. Today a bipartisan group of 20 Senators (10 D and 10 R) is announcing a breakthrough agreement on gun violence - the first in 30 years - that will save lives.

I think you’ll be surprised at the scope of our framework.

1/ Here’s what it includes:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The comments span the spectrum.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Gabby Giffords, Every Town For Gun Safety and Moms Demand Action support the framework. I checked each of the websites.

https://www.everytown.org/press/everyto ... fety-deal/
PRESS RELEASE

Today, Everytown for Gun Safety and its grassroots networks, Moms Demand Action and Students Demand Action, released the following statements on the historic agreement reached by a bipartisan coalition of U.S. senators on major gun safety, mental health, and school safety provisions.

If enacted, the bipartisan framework would provide the basis for the first major federal gun safety law in nearly 26 years. The framework would establish an enhanced background check process for gun buyers under age 21, provide federal funding to implement and incentivize state Red Flag laws, disarm domestic abusers by addressing the dating partner loophole, clarify which sellers are “engaged in the business” of selling firearms and therefore required to become licensed gun dealers and run background checks, and crack down on gun trafficking, among other items. 20 bipartisan U.S. senators, including Senators Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), John Cornyn (R-Texas), Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), Cory Booker (D- N.J.), Richard Burr (R-N.C.), Bill Cassidy (R-La.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Chris Coons (D-Del.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.), Angus King (I-Maine), Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Mitt Romney (R-Utah), Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.), released the agreed-upon framework after weeks of good faith bipartisan negotiations.

“If the framework announced today gets enacted into law, it will be the most significant piece of gun safety legislation to make it through Congress in 26 long and deadly years,” said John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety. “We applaud this bipartisan coalition, led by Senators Murphy and Cornyn, for leading this push to address our nation’s raging gun violence crisis, and we call on their colleagues to answer the call of history, and honor the victims and survivors of gun violence with long overdue action.”

“This bipartisan framework is a major step in finally getting federal action to address gun violence and, if passed, will save lives,” said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action. “We’re breaking the logjam in Congress and proving that gun safety isn’t just good policy – it’s good politics. Our grassroots army has been demanding action from the Senate for nearly a decade and now we’ll fight like hell to get this historic deal over the finish line.”

“This is a huge step for gun safety,” said Aspen Fain, a Kentucky Students Demand Action volunteer. “Too many students have been waiting their whole lives to see meaningful progress from our leaders on Capitol Hill and I’m thankful to our lawmakers for making gun safety a priority in this critical time. Young people won’t stop fighting until this deal is done – and look forward to the day we are celebrating in Washington, D.C. instead of begging our lawmakers to keep us safe.”

Since the tragic shootings in Uvalde and Buffalo, Everytown supporters, alongside gun violence survivors and Moms Demand Action and Students Demand Action volunteers, have shown up in Washington, D.C., and in the home states of U.S. senators to call for action, sending over 840,000 calls and messages to the U.S. Senate and dropping off tens of thousands of petitions at home state offices urging them to take bold action. Last weekend, Everytown and Moms Demand Action held more than 350 events across all 50 states for National Gun Violence Awareness Day and Wear Orange Weekend. Within the last week, Everytown and Moms Demand Action and Students Demand Action held two rallies on Capitol Hill. Everytown also launched a $400,000 ad campaign targeting key U.S. senators.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Cross-posting.

https://thefogbow.com/forum/posting.php ... t&p=110784

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/2 ... ar-AAYpjOU?
200-Plus Hollywood Creators Sign Brady Pledge to Curb Onscreen Gun Violence and 'Model Gun Safety'
An Open Letter to Our Colleagues in the Creative Community
Like most of America, we are enraged by the recent mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde. Considering there have been over 250 other mass shootings so far this year, it's an almost incomprehensible tragedy. Something needs to be done.

Guns are prominently featured in TV and movies in every corner of the globe, but only America has a gun violence epidemic. The responsibility lies with lax gun laws supported by those politicians more afraid of losing power than saving lives. We didn't cause the problem, but we want to help fix it.

As America's storytellers, our goal is primarily to entertain, but we also acknowledge that stories have the power to effect change. Cultural attitudes toward smoking, drunk driving, seatbelts and marriage equality have all evolved due in large part to movies' and TV's influence. It's time to take on gun safety.

We are not asking anyone to stop showing guns on screen. We are asking writers, directors and producers to be mindful of on-screen gun violence and model gun safety best practices. Let's use our collective power for good. Whenever possible, we will:

• Use our creativity to model responsible gun ownership and show consequences for reckless gun use. We will make a conscious effort to show characters locking their guns safely and making them inaccessible to children.

• Have at least one conversation during pre-production regarding the way guns will be portrayed on screen and consider alternatives that could be employed without sacrificing narrative integrity.

• Limit scenes including children and guns, bearing in mind that guns are now the leading cause of death for children and adolescents.

We are under no illusions that these actions are a substitute for common sense gun legislation. Furthermore, this list does not incorporate every nuance of guns on screen. However, these are small things that we can do as a community to try and end this national nightmare. If you are a writer, director or producer, join us by signing here.
raison de arizona

It's possible that McConnell has signed on.
Alex Salvi @alexsalvinews wrote: NEW: Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell says he supports a bipartisan framework on gun safety and will likely vote for legislation that reflects it.

This would make 11 Republicans in favor of the bill which would likely pass the Senate.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

This was written the day before McConnell's announcement.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/6 ... alls-ahead
Senate’s tentative agreement on gun legislation isn’t about guns at all

There’s one significant concession from these 10 Republicans, should the framework become legislation and pass. It would close the so “boyfriend loophole” to prevent gun sales to people convicted of domestic violence offenses. Republicans spent three years preventing the Violence Against Woman Act from being reauthorized because Democrats wanted to include that provision. It finally passed when they dropped it.

It would also enhance background checks for people under 21 buying assault-type weapons, including a mandatory search of juvenile justice and mental health records for younger buyers. That would at least keep weapons out of the hands of 18-year-olds, like the Uvalde killer, for a few days. The Uvalde killer appears to not have a juvenile record, however, so even if this passes it likely wouldn’t have prevented him from getting the AR-15 he used to massacre school children and their teachers. It’s also entirely possible that the Republicans will try to force these two provisions out of any legislation. Even as the announcement was being made, they said so.

One Republican aide gave the game away to The Washington Post: “The details will be critical for Republicans, particularly the firearms-related provisions. […] One or more of these principles could be dropped if text is not agreed to.” Again, this agreement is tentative and could be scuttled by the other 40 Republican senators. Minority Leader Mitch McConnell also made that pretty clear—he praised the negotiators but pointedly withheld an endorsement.

“I continue to hope their discussions yield a bipartisan product that makes significant headway on key issues like mental health and school safety, respects the Second Amendment, earns broad support in the Senate, and makes a difference for our country,” McConnell said. So not only did he not endorse the statement, he made it clear that guns should not be any part of what is being called gun safety legislation. That’s McConnell reserving the right to object to the “firearms-related provisions” the Republican aide pointed to, potentially dooming them.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:54 am This was written the day before McConnell's announcement.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/6 ... alls-ahead
Senate’s tentative agreement on gun legislation isn’t about guns at all

There’s one significant concession from these 10 Republicans, should the framework become legislation and pass. It would close the so “boyfriend loophole” to prevent gun sales to people convicted of domestic violence offenses. Republicans spent three years preventing the Violence Against Woman Act from being reauthorized because Democrats wanted to include that provision. It finally passed when they dropped it.

It would also enhance background checks for people under 21 buying assault-type weapons, including a mandatory search of juvenile justice and mental health records for younger buyers. That would at least keep weapons out of the hands of 18-year-olds, like the Uvalde killer, for a few days. The Uvalde killer appears to not have a juvenile record, however, so even if this passes it likely wouldn’t have prevented him from getting the AR-15 he used to massacre school children and their teachers. It’s also entirely possible that the Republicans will try to force these two provisions out of any legislation. Even as the announcement was being made, they said so.

One Republican aide gave the game away to The Washington Post: “The details will be critical for Republicans, particularly the firearms-related provisions. […] One or more of these principles could be dropped if text is not agreed to.” Again, this agreement is tentative and could be scuttled by the other 40 Republican senators. Minority Leader Mitch McConnell also made that pretty clear—he praised the negotiators but pointedly withheld an endorsement.

“I continue to hope their discussions yield a bipartisan product that makes significant headway on key issues like mental health and school safety, respects the Second Amendment, earns broad support in the Senate, and makes a difference for our country,” McConnell said. So not only did he not endorse the statement, he made it clear that guns should not be any part of what is being called gun safety legislation. That’s McConnell reserving the right to object to the “firearms-related provisions” the Republican aide pointed to, potentially dooming them.
I mean, if the other 10 agree, and they reach the magic 60, what can he otherwise do? or am I missing something?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Tiredretiredlawyer

I am not sure where McConnell really is on the deal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing
U.S. Senate gun bill talks hit snag over mental illness, abuse provisions
Cornyn has raised concerns over a provision to fund state "red flag" laws allowing authorities to temporarily take guns away from people deemed dangerous to themselves or others.

Cornyn's home state of Texas does not have such a law and is seen as unlikely to enact one. He wants the federal funding to cover other efforts as well, such as outpatient "crisis intervention programs" for people suffering from mental illness.

Senators and aides have not said how much federal funding is at stake.

Lawmakers are also at odds over an effort to close the so-called "boyfriend loophole," which allows authorities to block abusive spouses from buying firearms - but does not cover people who are not married.

Christian Heyne, a vice president at the Brady gun control organization, called that "a loophole that defies logic."

Lawmakers have been unable to settle on who should be included in the provision, such as two people who only had one date, for example, or only those in a longer-duration relationship.

humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Since the headline stated that there are concerns with mental illness, and we are not sure where McFossil stands, I think we can conclude that he has some sort of mental illness.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

There won't be any actual bill passed into law. Someone will have a line they can't cross, McConnell will blame Democrats for extremism and the NRA wins again. The whole thing was a plan to push it back until headlines subsided and they could just let it fade to black.

Count on it.

raison de arizona

:crying:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:(
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:36 pm :crying:
Boston: Pissing off the bad guy since 1760

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

And, we're done...

I hate to say I called it, but, I called it...

'I'm not frustrated, I'm done': GOP senator leaves gun talks

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-dem-sena ... 36099.html

raison de arizona

But it will be different this time.

Also, were one to take the least one could do, you would not be done. You would need to then take a step back from the least one could do, as it turned out there was less you could do after all. That is this plan.

That said, definitely better than nothing.
raison de arizona

Guess they didn't hear that he walked out on negotiations. Who am I kidding? It wouldn't matter. Just the fact that he would entertain abridging the holy 2nd Amendment is enough.
Jeremy Wallace @JeremySWallace wrote: US Sen John Cornyn gets viciously booed during much of his speech here at the Republican Party of Texas Convention. Here’s his closing remarks and the cascade of boos.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

If the God GUN cared about his followers :rotflmao:
he would be happy with his worshipers.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

And they didn't even do anything, they just acted like they might listen for a minute. :biggun: :guntootin:

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-20/ ... /101166626

As Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy calls on the West for more weapons, one US city has answered the call in an unexpected way.

Key points:
Miami residents lined up to hand over their guns in exchange for vouchers
The guns will be donated to the Ukraine war effort
The event's policy was 'no questions asked' but people still told their stories
Dozens of residents from the city of Miami, Florida lined up outside City Hall on Saturday, holding their guns.

They will be donated to Ukraine through a gun buyback program called Guns 4 Ukraine, run by the local city council.

In exchange, residents received a gift card valued at up to $150, depending on the type of gun.

The program in total collected 69 guns in four hours, with firearms ranging from AK-47 style assault rifles to fully automatic AR-15s to homemade 3D-printed plastic guns.

The event was launched amid the nation's growing concerns over gun control after a spate of mass shootings in recent weeks, including one that killed 19 children at a Texas primary school in May.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Wow. A good start to serve two purposes!
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Can we add knives and brass knuckles to the concealed weapons? Cause OhiDOH has passed another interesting law.

Senate Bill 156, which passed on party lines with Republicans in support and Democrats in opposition, prohibits cities from passing laws blocking citizens from carrying knives.

The legislation effectively locks in a law passed in 2021 that lets Ohioans carry concealed knives. The list of weapons allowed for manufacturing, sale and concealed carry include brass knuckles, cestuses, billy clubs, blackjacks, sandbags, switchblade knives, springblade knives, gravity knives, and similar weapons.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/sta ... -expansion
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

"So much illegal gun activity depends on your ability to use the financial system to buy the guns," Priscilla Sims Brown, the CEO of Amalgamated Bank told CBS News chief investigative correspondent Jim Axelrod in an exclusive interview.
:snippity:
Sims Brown said a merchant category code for firearm and ammunition sellers would yield data that could identify a transaction was made at a gun store, while not revealing which individual products were purchased. Merchant codes are used across all sorts of industries.

"So you might be — a nail salon. You might be a sporting goods store. There's a merchant category code assigned to you, so that we can see that purchase has been made," Sims Brown said.
the rest of the story:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bank-credi ... =170013058
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”