Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Gun Control

Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:35 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:39 pm From Institute for Justice Newsletter -https://ij.org/sc_newsletter/cicero-ben ... erkegaard/

Links to the cases are in the article.
Defense Distributed v. Attorney General of New Jersey:
The District Court of New Jersey's Chief Judge Wolfson wrote the opinion keeping this case as a Consolidated Action to which Texas Plaintiffs never objected. It has EVERY POSSIBLE federal civil procedure rule regarding venue, forum non conveniens, personal jurisdiction, pendent party jurisdiction, and more that I have forgotten, which Judge Wolfson "injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected" in supporting his order for New Jersey to keep the case.
Sounds like a Waffle House hash browns order and I am here for that.
It's actually from Alice's Restaurant but yeah.
Now I'm hungry.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Dave from down under

Gun Control

Post by Dave from down under »

Adair, Iowa, is a town of around 800 people with a total of three police officers, and federal prosecutors say they don’t need 90 machine guns. That’s why Adair Chief of Police Bradley Wendt has been indicted for allegedly making false statements to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to get those guns. “Brad Wendt is charged with exploiting his position as chief to unlawfully obtain and sell guns for his own personal profit,” FBI Agent Eugene Kowel said. According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Wendt obtained the guns for “official” use, then resold most of them for “significant profit” in his gun store. Prosecutors say 10 of the weapons were bought by Williams Contracting, a licensed firearms dealer owned by Wendt’s friend Robert Williams, and the pair would charge people to fire them. Among the guns was an M60 — a belt-fed machine gun used for military combat — which Wendt allegedly mounted on his own vehicle. Prosecutors allege Wendt also tried to get an M134 rotary gun, usually mounted on military helicopters. The ATF denied that request because, as the indictment points out, “The Adair Police Department does not own a helicopter.” Wendt is charged with 18 counts of making a false statement, and one count of unlawfully possessing a machine gun. Williams faces multiple counts, as well. (MS/Des Moines Register, Washington Times)
Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

Oh, Daddy remembers the M134... :biggun:

and he gets warm and fuzzy when he does... :rockon:

Dave from down under

Gun Control

:thumbsup:
Patagoniagirl

Gun Control

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I excelled with the M16, the M60 (not the tank - though I did fix them) and the L.A.W. I was an expert and my DD214 proves it. ☺️ I was horrible with a grenade but quick setting up a claymore.

Anyway, I hate guns. They belong in the military. No guns are allowed in my house. I'm somewhat of a hypocrite I suppose, but I feel safer.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Gun Control

Post by RTH10260 »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:33 am I excelled with the M16, the M60 (not the tank - though I did fix them) and the L.A.W. I was an expert and my DD214 proves it. ☺️ I was horrible with a grenade but quick setting up a claymore.

Anyway, I hate guns. They belong in the military. No guns are allowed in my house. I'm somewhat of a hypocrite I suppose, but I feel safer.
Ye blow me away :lol:
Patagoniagirl

Gun Control

Post by Patagoniagirl »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:12 am
Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:33 am I excelled with the M16, the M60 (not the tank - though I did fix them) and the L.A.W. I was an expert and my DD214 proves it. ☺️ I was horrible with a grenade but quick setting up a claymore.

Har Har😜

Ye blow me away :lol:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Gun Control

Post by Frater I*I »

My CO in the corps at the end of fiscal asked us what we needed, we told him the M60 was worn to hell and needed replacing, so he did his usual half ass on the requisition forms and sent it in. A week later we get a call from the GA National Guard unit at the Savannah airport that we needed to come pick up our order and bring a rig. Mitch [my fireteam partner in crime] and I arrived and found that we had been sent an M60A1 tank, how logistics thought that an infantry unit was making an armor request still puzzles me.

I'll remember the unit's loadmaster's words to us forever: "Gentlemen, I don't know what you're gonna do with it, but it's not staying here..."
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Dave from down under

Gun Control

Well - you could strip out the
.50 BMG (12.7×99mm) M85
And
7.62×51mm NATO M240C

And sell the rest…
It’s not like anyone would miss it ;)
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Gun Control

Post by Frater I*I »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:13 pm Well - you could strip out the
.50 BMG (12.7×99mm) M85
And
7.62×51mm NATO M240C

And sell the rest…
:lol:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:13 pm Well - you could strip out the
.50 BMG (12.7×99mm) M85
And
7.62×51mm NATO M240C

And sell the rest…
Anyone who was ever in the military will tell you that could go one of two ways, Either no one misses a tank and you keep it in your garage and live happily ever after, or you get court martialed when someone sees it on you Etsy page. :rotflmao:

Sam the Centipede

Gun Control

Post by Sam the Centipede »

.50 BMG (12.7×99mm) M85
And
7.62×51mm NATO M240C

And sell the rest…
I assumed your "down under" moniker to refer to Australia …
… but you reasoning hints at a Russian connection! ;)
Dave from down under

Gun Control

:whistle:
Volkonski
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by Volkonski »

Reuters :verified:
@reuters@news.twtr.plus
U.S. appeals court strikes down ban on bump stocks http://reut.rs/3XfEp7Y
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Gun Control

Post by Lani »

We're very worried in Hawaii bc we had strict gun controls. Now people can walk around with guns. The gov is trying to get limit open carrying by restricting guns in some locations and businesses.

One of many reasons why I love it here is gun control. Now it's going away. :crying:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by AndyinPA »

Your new avatar and dog are so cute! :lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Gun Control

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Is that Mocha's best side for the photo shoot?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Gun Control

Post by Lani »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:58 am Is that Mocha's best side for the photo shoot?
I was about to give up on taking a photo for my avatar. He's a very busy dog. Finally he sat still for a few seconds! So yeah, it's his best side because it's the only one I could get.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Gun Control

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA167YYT
Gov. JB Pritzker signs Illinois assault weapons ban
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (CBS) -- Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker signed a statewide ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines Wednesday night, after the state Senate and House approved the legislation.

The House voted 68-41 to approve the ban Tuesday afternoon. The bill passed 34-20 in the Illinois Senate on Monday.

The legislation took effect immediately with Pritzker's signature.

Before signing the bill, Gov. Pritzker raised the memory of the July 4th parade massacre in Highland Park last year – which left seven people dead and 36 injured, and left a 2-year-old boy parentless and wandering around.

The shooter used legally-purchased semiautomatic weapon.

Speaker Welch (D-Hillside) said the legislation bans the sale, delivery, and purchase of assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines in Illinois. Long guns will be limited to 10 rounds per magazine and handguns cannot have more than 15 rounds.

"This legislation includes a comprehensive, detailed, and updated list of assault weapons subject to the ban," Welch said.

The bill also bans the possession and use of rapid-fire devices that increase the firing rate of semiautomatic weapons.

"That's something we should really be proud of. That's historic," Welch said.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

Will it last until summer before some yahoo Judge says no.

Dave from down under

Gun Control

Gregg wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:45 pm Will it last until summer before some yahoo Judge says no.
It will get shot down..
Tiredretiredlawyer

Gun Control

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA16dEBy
Supreme Court lets New York enforce gun law during lawsuit

New York can for now continue to enforce a sweeping new law that bans guns from “sensitive places” including schools, playgrounds and Times Square, the [U.S.]Supreme Court said Wednesday, allowing the law to be in force while a lawsuit over it plays out.

The justices turned away an emergency request by New York gun owners challenging the law. The gun owners wanted the high court to lift a federal appeals court order that had permitted the law to be in effect.

In a two-paragraph statement that accompanied the court's order, Justice Samuel Alito wrote that the New York law at issue in the case “presents novel and serious questions.” But Alito, writing for himself and fellow conservative Justice Clarence Thomas, said they understood the court's decision not to intervene now “to reflect respect" for the appeals court's "procedures in managing its own docket, rather than expressing any view on the merits of the case.”

New York lawmakers rewrote the state’s handgun laws over the summer after a June Supreme Court ruling invalidated New York’s old system for granting permits to carry handguns outside the home. The ruling said that Americans have a right to carry firearms in public for self-defense, invalidating the New York law, which required people to show a specific need to get a license to carry a gun outside the home. The ruling was a major expansion of gun rights nationwide and resulted in challenges to other, similar state laws.

The new law New York passed in the wake of the ruling broadly expanded who can get a license to carry a handgun, but it increased training requirements for applicants and required people seeking a license to provide more information including a list of their social media accounts. Applicants for a license must also demonstrate “good moral character.” Beyond that, the law included a long list of “sensitive places” where firearms are banned, among them: schools, playgrounds, places of worship, entertainment venues, places that serve alcohol and Times Square.

U.S. District Judge Glenn Suddaby, however, declared multiple portions of the law unconstitutional and issued a preliminary injunction barring certain provisions' enforcement. For example, Suddaby blocked portions of the law requiring applicants for a concealed carry license to show “good moral character” and to hand over information about their social media accounts. He also blocked parts of the law barring guns from theaters, parks, zoos and places where alcohol is served.

His decision kept in place, however, provisions barring guns at schools and playgrounds, among other things, because of historical support for those restrictions. He also kept in place the ban on guns in Times Square.

But the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit had put Suddaby's ruling on hold while it considers the case. Challengers to the law had asked the high court to step in and allow Suddaby's ruling to go into effect while the case continues. It was that request the justices declined.
Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

Well, that's mighty white of them.

RTH10260

Gun Control

Post by RTH10260 »

U.S. Supreme Court declines to block New York gun restrictions

Wed, January 18, 2023 at 7:48 PM GMT+1
By Andrew Chung

(Reuters) -The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday turned away a challenge by a group of firearms dealers in New York to numerous Democratic-backed measures adopted by the state last year regulating gun purchases that the businesses said hurt their businesses.

The justices, with no public dissents, denied a request by the dealers to block the laws, some of which imposed gun safety requirements on retailers, while their appeal of a lower court's decision in favor of New York proceeds.

The state's Democratic-led legislature passed some of the laws last June. Others were adopted in July after the Supreme Court the prior month struck down New York's limits on carrying concealed handguns outside the home in a landmark ruling expanding gun rights.

New York officials have said the new gun restrictions, which face numerous legal challenges in lower courts, are needed to protect public safety. The Supreme Court has broadened gun rights in three key rulings since 2008.

The justices on Jan. 11 rejected a separate bid by members of a gun rights advocacy group to block much of New York's Concealed Carry Improvement Act, signed into law by Democratic Governor Kathy Hochul on July 1.

In a statement issued with that decision, Justice Samuel Alito, joined by fellow conservative Justice Clarence Thomas, said he understood the court's action in that instance to be procedural rather than expressing any view on the merits of the case. Alito wrote that the New York law at issue "presents novel and serious questions" under the U.S. Constitution's provisions on gun rights and free speech.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-supreme-co ... 40096.html
RTH10260

Gun Control

Post by RTH10260 »

Illinois Governor Pritzker Blasts Sheriffs for Refusing to Enforce New Gun-Control Law

Caroline Downey
Tue, January 17, 2023 at 12:04 AM GMT+1

Illinois sheriffs who are refusing to enforce the state’s new gun-control law are engaged in “political grandstanding” and are endangering the lives of residents, Democratic Governor J.B. Pritzker’s office said on Monday.

Last week, Pritzker signed the Protect Illinois Communities Act, which prohibits the possession of semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15 and paves the way for expedited universal background checks. The legislation also requires firearm owners of now-restricted weapons to register with state police.

Many sheriffs have vowed to defy the law, calling it a gross abuse of power.

“This is political grandstanding at its worst. The assault weapons ban is the law of Illinois,” Pritzker’s office said in a statement to Fox News. “The General Assembly passed the bill and the Governor signed it into law to protect children in schools, worshippers at church, and families at parades from the fear of sudden mass murder.”

As of Friday, at least 85 of Illinois’ 102 county sheriffs have pledged not to enforce the law to various degrees.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/illinois-gov ... 18688.html
(original: National Review)

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”