Gun Control

Dave from down under

Gun Control

Post by Dave from down under »

Good guy with a gun
Another law abiding gun owner exercising his god given 2A rights!!

“ The man complained about how he had been treated by the courts and spoke about illegally selling weapons, working in gun stores with explosives and machine guns, attempting suicide and dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder. ”
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Gun Control

Post by RTH10260 »

A rather explosive character :twisted:
Suranis

Gun Control

Post by Suranis »

Well, he obviously didn't bring enough Constitution the first time.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Gun Control

Post by Suranis »

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/report-g ... g-gunfire/
There are new reports the Poland Team 1 gas balloon that crashed in Texas Monday night was avoiding gunfire at the time.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A balloon racing in this year’s Gordon Bennett Cup, which began in Albuquerque, crashed into power lines in Texas on Monday. There are new reports that the gas balloon was avoiding gunfire.
'MURICA!!!

Baloonfire.jpg
Baloonfire.jpg (93.2 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
Hic sunt dracones
Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

Lemme guess, Governor Roller Nazi or some Rube Militia though it was the counterpart to the Hummus Invasion in Isreal, the Salsa Invasion, and they shot it down using the Texs version of the 'Iron Dome" system, AR-15s. :cantlook:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by Volkonski »

DeSantis calls for institutionalizing more people instead of nationalizing Florida’s red flag law in wake of Maine shooting

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/26/politics ... index.html
Gov. Ron DeSantis said Thursday evening that he is not sure if Florida’s red flag law is effective in removing guns from dangerous people and he wouldn’t sign one – or any gun safety measure – if elected president.

Instead, in response to Wednesday’s mass shooting at a bowling alley and a restaurant in Lewiston, Maine, that has left at least 18 dead, the Republican presidential candidate said he would institutionalize more people with mental health issues against their will.

“I think what’s ultimately effective is holding people accountable, either through mental adjudication if they’re crazy or convicting them when they’re committing crimes,” DeSantis told CNN’s Kaitlan Collins on “The Source.”

An intensive manhunt is still underway for the suspect in the shooting, who police said recently reported mental health issues and was reported to have been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks over the summer.

In Florida, law enforcement agencies can advocate for judges to temporarily bar dangerous individuals from possessing or purchasing a firearm through a provision known as a “red flag” law. From its inception following the Parkland high school massacre in 2018 through mid-2022, it was invoked more than 8,000 times to restrict gun ownership of people authorities deemed a risk to themselves or others. The law is supported by many Florida sheriffs.

DeSantis said he didn’t think Florida’s law – which allows judges to ban or remove firearms from someone experiencing a mental health crisis – would have made a difference if it was in place in Maine.

“In this case, I’m not sure,” he said. “I think an involuntary commitment, though, would have kept him off the street, and I think that would have done the trick.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by AndyinPA »

Then you enforce it so that it works the way it's meant to. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:01 am A rather explosive character :twisted:
Target market for the AR-15 (not the rifle he actually used, but one based on the "look")

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Gun Control

Post by raison de arizona »

In a showing of support for mass shootings...
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: Reminder that Republicans have been wearing AR-15 pins, often in place of where their American flag pins would normally go.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:55 pm In a showing of support for mass shootings...
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: Reminder that Republicans have been wearing AR-15 pins, often in place of where their American flag pins would normally go.
The top and bottom pics on the left are both Santos.
raison de arizona

Gun Control

Another one bites the dust, felony firearm ban.
Firearms Policy Coalition @gunpolicy wrote: FPC WIN: A Pennsylvania federal judge has ruled in an FPC-supported case that 922(g)(1) (the federal felon firearm ban) is unconstitutional as applied to the plaintiff, who was convicted of a non-violent misdemeanor in 2005: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 4.82.0.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Gun Control

Post by RTH10260 »

neeneko

Gun Control

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:34 pm Another one bites the dust, felony firearm ban.
Eh, this one I am actually ok with. Things should be banned or not banned.. I loathe the 'how much freedom can you afford?' middleground the US is so fond of... esp when it is keyed off the justice system which, to put it generously, is not equally applied.
Sam the Centipede

Gun Control

Post by Sam the Centipede »

neeneko wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:12 am
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:34 pm Another one bites the dust, felony firearm ban.
Eh, this one I am actually ok with. Things should be banned or not banned.. I loathe the 'how much freedom can you afford?' middleground the US is so fond of... esp when it is keyed off the justice system which, to put it generously, is not equally applied.
I think I get your point, but if one regards owning lethal weapons as a privilege rather than a fundamental right, then it is reasonable to take the view that of a person shows him/herself not to be worthy of that privilege, it is withdrawn. And being a convicted serious felon demonstrates prima facie unworthiness.

It is similar to a court saying "you have been caught drink-driving multiple times, you cannot be trusted to drive sober, your license is revoked for a year." Or do you believe that everybody should be allowed to drive a car, drunk or sober, blind or sighted, clean license or peppered with offenses?

And that's for driving, which is far more necessary to many people's lives and livelihood, whereas no ordinary person needs firearms, as evidenced by their general non-availibilty in so many comparable countries.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:35 am I think I get your point, but if one regards owning lethal weapons as a privilege rather than a fundamental right, then it is reasonable to take the view that of a person shows him/herself not to be worthy of that privilege, it is withdrawn. And being a convicted serious felon demonstrates prima facie unworthiness.

It is similar to a court saying "you have been caught drink-driving multiple times, you cannot be trusted to drive sober, your license is revoked for a year." Or do you believe that everybody should be allowed to drive a car, drunk or sober, blind or sighted, clean license or peppered with offenses?

And that's for driving, which is far more necessary to many people's lives and livelihood, whereas no ordinary person needs firearms, as evidenced by their general non-availibilty in so many comparable countries.
The problem is that here driving IS a privilege, and having a gun IS considered a fundamental right. So while what you're saying makes sense, coming at it from the perspective that owning lethal weapon is a privilege causes the argument to fail right there.

Gods know I WISH owning a gun was a privilege and not a right, but that's not how it was set up, sadly.
pipistrelle

Gun Control

Post by pipistrelle »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:50 am Gods know I WISH owning a gun was a privilege and not a right, but that's not how it was set up, sadly.
It wasn't set up to be a right without caveats, but apparently SCOTUS chose to ignore all that.
Dave from down under

Gun Control

Well past time to regulate the militia..

By all means retain your right to bear arms as part of a well regulated militia…
But that means your arms are in the armoury and you get to play with them only in accordance with the dictates of the range sergeant…
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:53 am Well past time to regulate the militia..

By all means retain your right to bear arms as part of a well regulated militia…
But that means your arms are in the armoury and you get to play with them only in accordance with the dictates of the range sergeant…
I'd be perfectly fine with that.
neeneko

Gun Control

Post by neeneko »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:35 am I think I get your point, but if one regards owning lethal weapons as a privilege rather than a fundamental right, then it is reasonable to take the view that of a person shows him/herself not to be worthy of that privilege, it is withdrawn. And being a convicted serious felon demonstrates prima facie unworthiness.
Yeah.. and I am pretty in favor of things like the red flag laws. The problem I tend to have with the blanket felony restriction is fairly often it comes down to 'black guy did something a white guy would get a lesser sentence for' or 'poor person couldn't afford an effective defense'
raison de arizona

Gun Control

Steven Rattner @SteveRattner wrote: The House GOP just voted to prevent the CDC from studying gun deaths and injuries. Hmm...I wonder why?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Gun Control

Post by AndyinPA »

And Biden's going to sign it? Or the power of the purse allows them?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:43 pm And Biden's going to sign it? Or the power of the purse allows them?
Neither, it was performance art destined to die of neglect somewhere between a Senate Committee and the floor.

RTH10260

Gun Control

Post by RTH10260 »

2A positive attorney discusses recent Pensylvania federal court ruling about losing right to bare/bear arms of by felons

Dave from down under

Gun Control

So long as he volunteers to help the next dozen shooting victims to get damages from their 2A attackers…

Oh wait… they aren’t victims they are just collateral damage to another’s “right” that cannot be infringed.
John Thomas8

Gun Control

Post by John Thomas8 »

Education:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”