Gun Control

MsDaisy
Verified:

Re: Gun Control

Post by MsDaisy »

:faint:

I read as far as this sentence "Ford wrapped the gun in a black T-shirt, then he walked out, leaving My’onna to die alone." and I couldn't read any farther out of disgust and heartbreak. I'm very happy she's still with us!

I still think whoever A: left them in the house unattended and B: left a loaded gun right where an unattended child could just pick it up should have his right to even own a gun taken away! Of course that doesn't actually stop anyone from getting a gun. Seriously, WTF kind of sense does that even make? :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

MsDaisy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:32 pm :faint:

I read as far as this sentence "Ford wrapped the gun in a black T-shirt, then he walked out, leaving My’onna to die alone." and I couldn't read any farther out of disgust and heartbreak. I'm very happy she's still with us!

I still think whoever A: left them alone in the house unattended and B: left a loaded gun right where an unattended child could just pick it up should have his right to even own a gun taken away! Of course that doesn't actually stop anyone from getting a gun. Seriously, WTF kind of sense does that even make? :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
If you read the rest of it, you would need a lot more of these: :brickwallsmall:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:34 pm
MsDaisy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:32 pm :faint:

I still think whoever A: left them alone in the house unattended and B: left a loaded gun right where an unattended child could just pick it up should have his right to even own a gun taken away! Of course that doesn't actually stop anyone from getting a gun. Seriously, WTF kind of sense does that even make? :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
If you read the rest of it, you would need a lot more of these: :brickwallsmall:
I did....
tek

Post by tek »

here, I guess..
Citing ‘support for the Second Amendment,’ Smith & Wesson will move its headquarters from Mass. to Tennessee
Storied gunmaker points to bill in Mass. legislature that would ban production of guns that account for 60 percent of its revenue
[...]
Smith & Wesson said it would also close its facilities in Connecticut and Missouri.
So not really about the business climate in Massachusetts.
tek

Post by tek »

The gun manufacturer down the road from S&W has chimed in with a counterpoint
WESTFIELD — Savage Arms doesn’t feel threatened by a proposed state law Smith & Wesson blames for forcing it to relocate 550 jobs and its headquarters from Springfield to Tennessee, saying it would have minimal impact on its business.
[...]
Savage does have several semi automatic rifles in its lineup of what the industry terms modern sporting rifles. These firearms are popular with consumers, but raise the ire of gun control advocates. Kasper noted Savage does have a few products that cannot be sold in Massachusetts under the strict gun laws here.

“But nothing that moves the needle,” Kasper said. “Its very, very small for us.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/savag ... ar-AAP8bbn
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

I own a Savage firearm, a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 1, with "US Property" stamped on it... 8-)
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
tek

Post by tek »

Off Topic
Savage made other stuff, too..
The Savage plant on Broadway in Chicopee MA was less than a quarter mile from my grandfather's house.. though I think by the mid-60's when I was around the factory was mostly empty
savage_mower.jpg
savage_mower.jpg (148.11 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:10 pm I own a Savage firearm, a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 1, with "US Property" stamped on it... 8-)
and working in the airline industry... are you perhaps an air marshal undercover ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Ex-Marine infantry. I'd be more surprised if he didn't have something like that. :biggrin:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:10 pm I own a Savage firearm, a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 1, with "US Property" stamped on it... 8-)
My Dad had a 300 Savage. Bolt action Deer rifle. Not semi-auto.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

keith wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:38 pm
Lee-Enfield No 4 Mk 1 is a bolt action, used by the British forces in WWII. It has US Property stamped on it because it was made here in the US under the Lend/Lease program 8-)

For semi auto I have an AK-74.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

We have another gun hand in amnesty* happening.. adds on TV etc...

Of course if your
Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 1
or
300 Savage. Bolt action Deer rifle. Not semi-auto.
was registered then you wouldn't have to hand it in...
:)

side issue - Back when we had a gun buy-back scheme
A gunsmith friend was involved in valuing the firearms handed in..
He had to work out a value for the 7.62mm Minigun handed in, even though no money was paid because it was illegal even before the new laws, which meant looking at what they sold for on the international arms market.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/online_se ... rosecution.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-01/ ... /100256814
he ongoing threat of illegal guns to community safety has led the federal government to launch a permanent national firearms amnesty.
Key points:
Anyone can hand in an illegal firearm without any questions asked or penalties
The previous firearms amnesty in 2017 led to more than 57,000 guns being handed in
Crime Stoppers has launched a national campaign alongside the amnesty to educate people about the risk of illegal gun
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Brilliant move there, trying to sell your already illegal firearm to the police in a buy back program....

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Issue here today. Five guns have been confiscated in the last week at the Greater Pittsburgh International Airport. The total number for the year so far is the highest it has ever been, 27. The TSA will be requesting that county sheriff's offices revoke concealed carry permits on the basis of irresponsible gun ownership. Fines start at $3,000 and can go to nearly $14,000.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:29 pm Brilliant move there, trying to sell your already illegal firearm to the police in a buy back program....
It was the wife who was filing for divorce that handed in her husband's Minigun... :whistle:
she wasn't looking for the money.. :shrug:

Her then husband having a "Minigun" ;) might be part of the cause for why she was unsatisfied in the marriage.. :bag:
Dave from down under

According to recent firearms data from the AIC, there are currently about 2.5 million registered firearms in Australia belonging to 731 567 individual licence holders.

As of 1 January 2021, the population of Australia was estimated to be 25,749,369 people.

so 1 legal firearm per 10 people
with
1 in 35 people owning a legal firearm

In 2019 - 231 deaths were firearm caused.
https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/comp ... gun_deaths

In 2020, there were 396 victims of homicide and related offences recorded by the police. This was a decrease of 19 victims from 2019.
In 2020, most homicide and related offences:
- occurred at a residential location (61% or 241 victims)
- involved the use of a weapon (59% or 232 victims), most commonly a knife (116 victims)
For victims of homicide and related offences:
- around two-thirds (67%) were male (264 victims)
- two-fifths (40%) were aged between 35 to 54 years at the date of report (160 victims)
- more than a third (37%) were family and domestic violence (FDV) related incidents (145 victims)

Murder Rates By Country 2020
Rank Country (or dependent territory) Rate (Homicides per 100,000)
194 Australia 0.8
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/mur ... untry.html
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:04 pm
keith wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:38 pm
Lee-Enfield No 4 Mk 1 is a bolt action, used by the British forces in WWII. It has US Property stamped on it because it was made here in the US under the Lend/Lease program 8-)

For semi auto I have an AK-74.
The .300 Savage cartridge is the grandfather of the 7.62 cartridge. My Dad bought me an Argentine built 7.62 Mauser at some point. I think I shot up some targets once or twice and carried with my Dad and his Brother on a hunting trip once (where the only thing we saw was a skunk).

I THINK my dad's actual rifle was a late 1940's Savage Model 99, but I'm not 100% on that. I do see reference that Teddy Roosevelt thought that the Model 99 predecessor (the '1899') was the finest gun he ever used. My brother inherited it when dad died, and when he died, it took the guy that handled his estate 18 months to sell it.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

First Major Second Amendment Case Before Supreme Court In Over A Decade Could Topple Gun Restrictions
This ruling could change the course of future firearm rights litigation.
The stakes in one of the most significant Second Amendment cases in U.S. history are high.

The Supreme Court’s ruling in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, expected by mid-2022, could declare a New York state restriction on carrying concealed handguns in public places unconstitutional.

Such a ruling in favor of the plaintiffs, which include a National Rifle Association affiliate, could loosen gun regulations in many parts of the country.

In my view as a Second Amendment scholar, this case is also noteworthy in that how the court reaches its conclusion could affect the Second Amendment analysis of all weapons laws in the future.

The court is set to hear oral arguments on Nov. 3.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/firs ... strictions

I am a gun owner and I fully support strict gun control laws just like the ones they have in Hawaii. It irritates me to see people shopping in grocery store with a handgun in a holster in their hip. Why would anyone need to shop for food with a handgun? But we have yahoos like that all over VA. :roll:

I wish the entire country would follow Hawaii's gun regulations!

https://www.hawaiipolice.com/services/f ... gistration
Dave from down under

Firearm laws must change to protect farm workers and others, says pastoralist
ABC Pilbara / By James Liveris

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-12/ ... /100526354

A pastoralist has vowed to change firearm laws across Australia in a bid to end the reckless behaviour of some shooters that has left his workers and stock in fear for their lives.

Key points:
Pilbara pastoralist Michael Thompson says there are more trespassers than ever, causing thousands of dollars damage every year
A University of Sydney study finds Australians are more likely to die from firearm-related incidents in rural areas than in cities
In 2019, there were more than 880,000 registered firearms in NSW alone
In the 26 years he has owned Mundabullangana Station, about 100 kilometres south of Port Hedland, Michael Thompson has grappled many times with trespassers using his land to hunt.

The cattle producer estimates trespassers have cost him more than $250,000 in financial damages, including fence repairs, broken locks and other infrastructure costs over the past decade.

This year, however, Mr Thompson says it is the worst he has ever seen, with more instances of trespassing and firearm use without permission taking place on – and damaging – his property.

:snippity:
Dave from down under

from the above story link

A new study published in the Medical Journal of Australia shows people in remote and rural areas are more likely to die from a firearm-related accident than their city counterparts are by falling victim to an assault.

The overall rate of accidental firearm deaths or injuries was highest in outer regional, remote, and rural areas – sitting at 1.2 per cent per 100,000 people.

Firearm assaults in major cities occurred at a rate of 0.8 per cent per 100,000 people.
Dave from down under

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2021/men ... ies-deaths

Men the highest risk group for firearm injuries, deaths
Cate Swannell
Med J Aust
Published online: 27 September 2021

MEN are injured by guns over 13 times more often than women, and almost nine out of 10 intentional firearm-related self-harm injuries are fatal, according to research published today by the Medical Journal of Australia.

Research from the University of Sydney, led by Professor Joel Negin from the School of Public Health, set out to describe the burden, geographic distribution, and outcomes of firearm-related violence in New South Wales during 2002–2016.

“Firearm-related injuries were recorded for 2390 people; for 849 people, the injuries were caused by assault (36%), for 797 by intentional self-harm (33%), and for 506 by accidents (21%),” Negin and colleagues reported.

“Overall rates of firearm injuries were 4.1 per 100 000 males and 0.3 per 100 000 females; the overall rate was higher in outer regional/rural/remote areas (3.8 per 100 000) than in major cities (1.6 per 100 000) or inner regional areas (1.8 per 100 000).

“During 2002–2016, the overall firearm-related injury rate declined from 3.4 to 1.8 per 100 000 population, primarily because of declines in injuries caused by assault or accidental events.

“The rate of self-harm injuries with firearms was highest for people aged 60 years or more (41.5 per 100 000 population). Local rates of intentional self-harm injuries caused by firearms were strongly correlated with those of licensed gun owners.”

The authors wrote that rates of self-harm with firearms “are higher for older people, men, and residents in outer regional and rural/remote areas, while assaults are higher for younger people, men, and residents of major cities”.

With regard to self-harm, the authors wrote that “few studies have examined firearm-related risk factors for suicide”.

“Recent data on rates and outcomes for people who survive attempted suicide using a firearm have not been published,” they wrote. “Identifying risk factors, including periods of increased risk, is essential for directed interventions for reducing the number of suicide deaths.”

Because of Australia’s “unique” legislative framework around firearm ownership, more local research was essential, Negin and colleagues concluded.

“A more comprehensive Australian national profile of firearm-related violence, its relationship with socio-demographic factors, its costs, and its impacts would support researchers and policymakers developing and testing interventions and policies for reducing firearm-related violence,” they wrote.
Dave from down under

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2021/215 ... hort-study

Gun violence in Australia, 2002–2016: a cohort study
Joel Negin, Jane Bell, Lorraine Ivancic, Philip Alpers and Natasha Nassar
Med J Aust || doi: 10.5694/mja2.51251
Published online: 27 September 2021

Abstract
Objectives: To describe the burden, geographic distribution, and outcomes of firearm‐related violence in New South Wales during 2002–2016.

Design, setting, participants: Population‐based record linkag study of people injured by firearms in NSW, 1 January 2002 – 31 December 2016.

Main outcome measures: Frequency, proportion, and rate of firearm‐related injuries and deaths by intent category (assault, intentional self‐harm, accidental, undetermined/other) and socio‐demographic characteristics; medical service use (hospitalisations, ambulatory mental health care) before and after firearm‐related injuries; associations between rates of firearm‐related injury and those of licensed gun owners, by statistical area level 4.

Results: Firearm‐related injuries were recorded for 2390 people; for 849 people, the injuries were caused by assault (36%), for 797 by intentional self‐harm (33%), and for 506 by accidents (21%). Overall rates of firearm injuries were 4.1 per 100 000 males and 0.3 per 100 000 females; the overall rate was higher in outer regional/rural/remote areas (3.8 per 100 000) than in major cities (1.6 per 100 000) or inner regional areas (1.8 per 100 000). During 2002–2016, the overall firearm‐related injury rate declined from 3.4 to 1.8 per 100 000 population, primarily because of declines in injuries caused by assault or accidental events. The rate of self‐harm injuries with firearms were highest for people aged 60 years or more (41.5 per 100 000 population). Local rates of intentional self‐harm injuries caused by firearms were strongly correlated with those of licensed gun owners (r = 0.94).

Conclusions: Rates of self‐harm with firearms are higher for older people, men, and residents in outer regional and rural/remote areas, while those for assault‐related injuries are higher for younger people, men, and residents of major cities. Strategies for reducing injuries caused by self‐harm and assault with firearms should focus on people at particular risk.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I call it: Too Many Gunz, Not Enuf Armz
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:20 am I call it: Too Many Gunz, Not Enuf Armz
... and no brains a'tall.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Oh, man! They are JAYHAWKS!!!! :crying:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”