Gun Control

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Gun Control

Post by raison de arizona »

It’s really quite horrible. I’ve been touched by accidental gun violence in my life in an ancillary way, and even that has stuck with me for over twenty years now. I don’t think about it everyday, but at least every week. I can’t imagine what they will go through. So senseless.

In other news, school active shooter training has met the mask mandate and found it useful.
5323A43C-BC09-4E9F-A4AA-F62E4ADFD2F3.jpeg
5323A43C-BC09-4E9F-A4AA-F62E4ADFD2F3.jpeg (124.19 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

3-year-old girl fatally shot by 5-year-old in Minnesota

A 3-year-old girl was fatally shot by a 5-year-old boy in a home in Bena, Minnesota, early Friday, officials said.

The Cass County Sheriff’s Office received a report of an accidental shooting around 3:50 a.m.
:snippity:
So far this year 968 children have been killed by guns, according to the Gun Violence Archive.

In 2019, 3,371 American children and teens were killed with guns, the Children's Defense Fund, a nonprofit child advocacy and research group reported.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/year-girl-fat ... d=79457003
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

It wasn't "accidental" that an adult acquired the gun, took it home, loaded it and left it where a child could foreseeable "play" with it. I hope there are criminal charges. :fingerwag:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

You just NEVER know when a Clan of Clowns is gonna need puttin' down by a good guy with a gun.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Here's the ATF overstepping their authority:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500" width="500" height="487" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

And why legal gun owners can't stand that mentally deranged organization. They make things up, over-ride their limitations and legislate without actually be legislators or having any discernable authority to change the rules as they see fit.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:22 am Here's the ATF overstepping their authority:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500" width="500" height="487" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

And why legal gun owners can't stand that mentally deranged organization. They make things up, over-ride their limitations and legislate without actually be legislators or having any discernable authority to change the rules as they see fit.
Fine line of manufacturing a device that is not of legal wording of what makes a "fully automatic gun". Bumping the trigger into the finger so that the finger involuntarily releases the next shot aka hairline trigger. The ATF will need to come up with a definition of how many trigger pulls by a finger per second will keep gun fire sufficiently under the firing rate of a fully automatic machine gun.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:09 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:22 am Here's the ATF overstepping their authority:

Fine line of manufacturing a device that is not of legal wording of what makes a "fully automatic gun". Bumping the trigger into the finger so that the finger involuntarily releases the next shot aka hairline trigger. The ATF will need to come up with a definition of how many trigger pulls by a finger per second will keep gun fire sufficiently under the firing rate of a fully automatic machine gun.
I quit listening when the guy on the video made a big deal out of the agent and guy serving the warrant or whatever it was not having ever seen the trigger. They didn't have to since they were just serving the papers. If he can't get that much right, it's just wasting time to listen to anything else he has to say.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:32 pm
► Show Spoiler
I quit listening when the guy on the video made a big deal out of the agent and guy serving the warrant or whatever it was not having ever seen the trigger. They didn't have to since they were just serving the papers. If he can't get that much right, it's just wasting time to listen to anything else he has to say.
Management summary - What he said was that his company is rejecting the cease-and-desists and is suing the ATF over this. According to the narrative the company has four experts on the matter (consulted prior to production) that vouche his "non-automatic" trigger does not turn a gun into a machine gun according to the wording of the law. All have been former ATF agents. They contend that ATF is overreaching its interpretation of the law.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I had someone post on Facebook that leaving all the guns behind in Afghanistan means the gun control advocates can never talk about gun control again. Huh?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:49 pm I had someone post on Facebook that leaving all the guns behind in Afghanistan means the gun control advocates can never talk about gun control again. Huh?
Military armament has never been under any "gun control". There are some international treaties that limit the proliferation of certain weaponry, eg like anti-personnel mines, or the nukes. Some nations have gotten into a ethical twist will limit or prohibit weapons export to certain dictatorial countries or regions with civil war. US gun control is about the local market and use within the country.

The weaponry left behind in Afghanistan was hardware sold to the Afghan Army. To the best of my knowledge the US did not leave behind any of their own weapons. Those that have not been flown out will have been destroyed during the step down period. No high-tec stuff left behind. The Afghan were only able to fly a low number of war planes themselves, the maintenance was in the hand of western contractors, no expertise there without education.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:56 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:49 pm I had someone post on Facebook that leaving all the guns behind in Afghanistan means the gun control advocates can never talk about gun control again. Huh?
Military armament has never been under any "gun control". There are some international treaties that limit the proliferation of certain weaponry, eg like anti-personnel mines, or the nukes. Some nations have gotten into a ethical twist will limit or prohibit weapons export to certain dictatorial countries or regions with civil war. US gun control is about the local market and use within the country.
I knew that; she doesn't. That's the problem with all these people on the right--what they don't know.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:00 pm :snippity:
I guess I added a paragraph since you replied ;)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:02 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:00 pm :snippity:
I guess I added a paragraph since you replied ;)
Quick on the draw. :oopsy:

Yes, it wasn't there. ;)
raison de arizona

Casa Grande mother of 4 dies after 5-year-old son accidentally shoots her

A mother died near North Peart Road in Casa Grande after her 5-year-old son accidentally shot her in the chest with a handgun, according to the Casa Grande Police Department.
Police determined her 5-year-old son pulled the trigger. Detectives believe the incident was unintentional, police said.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 722375001/

I don’t even know what to say about these. Poor child. She failed him. It’s like drowning, it only takes a second. You leave that firearm out and available for ONE SECOND and a kid can pick it up and kill you, or worse, themself. If you have a gun, and you have children, then NOT EVEN ONE SECOND. It goes on you or in the safe. Or secured in some other fashion. But never where a child can get it.
raison de arizona

Missouri.
2 moms pull out guns during argument at Hazelwood elementary school

Hazelwood police said it started when one of the parents cut off another in the drop-off lanes.

One of the moms walked to the car of the other woman to apologize, saying it was an accident, according to Hazelwood Police Capt. James Hudanick. The argument became heated and the woman inside the car pulled out a gun.

"Mom outside the vehicle says, 'I got one for you, too,' and goes to retrieve her firearm," Hudanick told 5 On Your Side.

The argument ended at that point, Hudanick said. The moms dropped off their children and left the property.
https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local ... 770c2c7716

Well, at least they didn’t shoot each other. Or any kids.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:33 am Missouri.
2 moms pull out guns during argument at Hazelwood elementary school

Hazelwood police said it started when one of the parents cut off another in the drop-off lanes.

One of the moms walked to the car of the other woman to apologize, saying it was an accident, according to Hazelwood Police Capt. James Hudanick. The argument became heated and the woman inside the car pulled out a gun.

"Mom outside the vehicle says, 'I got one for you, too,' and goes to retrieve her firearm," Hudanick told 5 On Your Side.

The argument ended at that point, Hudanick said. The moms dropped off their children and left the property.
https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local ... 770c2c7716

Well, at least they didn’t shoot each other. Or any kids.

Holy phucktard, these people are going nucking phutz.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:confuzzled: now that gets difficult - where do you find two good guys with a gun (each) when you need them :think:

:twisted:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Two kids, a loaded gun and the man who left a 4-year-old to die
The children will never recover from what happened inside a D.C. apartment. The owner of the illegal gun faces far less serious consequences.
She never wanted to be left out, so My’onna Hinton, who was 4, followed her 7-year-old relative down a hallway and into an unfamiliar apartment in Southeast Washington. Tee was used to that, because My’onna had been trailing after him since she could first walk.

The two of them had been close all her life, despite their differences. She loved Barbies, Disney cartoons and having her toenails painted bright pink, and he was fixated on football, LeBron James and crashing cars in Grand Theft Auto V. But My’onna looked up to him, and Tee looked out for her.

Now the kids were inside the apartment, and the 9-year-old boy who lived there wanted to show Tee something. With no adults home, and My’onna’s mom doing a girl’s hair in the building next door, he took them to a back bedroom and opened a dresser drawer. Inside was a gun.

The boy, Tee said later, handed it to him.

“That’s not real,” Tee responded. “That’s a toy.”

Then his finger squeezed the trigger, Tee recalled in an interview, and he heard a boom. Then he felt the gun’s butt slam against his chest. Then he looked down and saw My’onna on the floor, blood streaming from her neck.

Tee knelt beside her.

“My’onna, are you okay?” he asked.

She opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. He tried to pick her up, but My’onna, laying on her side and staring blankly ahead, couldn’t move. Tee cradled her head and cried.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... table-main

There is no excuse for shit like this, NONE! It makes me want to beat the shit out of ignorant people! :kickface:

We have guns in the house and they are ALWAYS under double locks and the grandchildren don't even know where in the house they are kept.

There's a photo of the beautiful little girl at the link. RIP sweet My’onna :crying:

And now the poor little boy is going to have to live with this the rest of his little life :crying:

ETA My’onna's photo in case anyone can't get to the article
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 1.36.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 1.36.27 PM.png (383.42 KiB) Viewed 858 times
raison de arizona

MsDaisy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:29 pm Two kids, a loaded gun and the man who left a 4-year-old to die
The children will never recover from what happened inside a D.C. apartment. The owner of the illegal gun faces far less serious consequences.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... table-main

There is no excuse for shit like this, NONE! It makes me want to beat the shit out of ignorant people! :kickface:

We have guns in the house and they are ALWAYS under double locks and the grandchildren don't even know where in the house they are kept.

There's a photo of the beautiful little girl at the link. RIP sweet My’onna :crying:

And now the poor little boy is going to have to live with this the rest of his little life :crying:
There should be a felony murder type rule that the gun owners should fall under in circumstances such as these.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:36 pm There should be a felony murder type rule that the gun owners should fall under in circumstances such as these.
Agreed! 100%
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

My'onna is still alive.
raison de arizona

Azastan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:55 pm My'onna is still alive.
:pray:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I read that a little while ago. It's heartbreaking.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”