Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Gun Control

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Gun Control

Post by AndyinPA »

Or the lack thereof

https://www.rawstory.com/republicans-ac ... -gun-laws/
Republicans funded by the National Rifle Association have borrowed from the ideology of the slave-holding South to try to nullify federal laws about guns.

The most extreme proponents of Second Amendment "sanctuaries," claim, like slaveholders more than 150 years ago, that the federal laws are invalid and can be nullified by states. Abolitionists also did this. Northern states passed "personal liberty laws" to try to nullify the federal Fugitive Slave Acts of 1793 and 1850.

"The still more interesting question is, whether the institutions of our forefathers … are to be preserved … free from the rude hands of innovators and enthusiasts," wrote South Carolina slaveholder Robert Turnbull in 1827.

Missouri state Sen. Eric Burlison (R-Battlefield), who pushed for a law that led to Kansas City police restricting federal access to their records, put it more succinctly: "We are telling President Biden to go pound sand."

More than 1,200 local governments have passed Second Amendment sanctuary resolutions in at least 43 states, including Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Kansas and New Mexico. At least 17 states also have these laws.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Death cultists
tek

Post by tek »

A short while back I posed here about Smith and Wesson throwing a hissy fit and announcing they are moving their HQ to Tennessee from Massachusetts due to impending Mass legislation about guns..

well..

Local manufacturers in Western Mass are actively poaching skilled and semi-skilled workers from S&W - with one posting a billboard on I291 right next to the S&W campus.
d-2.jpg
d-2.jpg (160.99 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
S&W may not end up with any of their skilled workforce following them south.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

S&W will certainly lose some employees.

My father gave up the best job he ever had when his employer moved from MA to CA. As the only man left in the family he felt he shouldn't move a continent away from his widowed mother, his then very recently widowed sister and her daughter.

I went thru some large corporate mass relocations. There were always losses of employees who wouldn't relocate.

Such moves are very hard on couples who both have good jobs but with two different employers. They have to decide whether to stay or go. Either way one of them loses a good job.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

I was given that option - Go (500 Km) or Go (unemployed) - I went - overall it was a good outcome - even though it is a long way from family and friends.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Parent: Teacher let student make wooden gun
PHILADELPHIA - A parent in Pennsylvania is upset-- saying a middle school shop teacher allowed his son to make a wooden gun.
:snippity:
"If he had colored this in like he wanted to you, you would've never knew what it was. You would've said he had a pistol in his hand. And this is what he made in Shop in class,” says Scott.

The Philadelphia School District acknowledges a complaint was made on October 4th against a Carpentry teacher at Austin Meehan Middle School who allegedly allowed a student to produce a wooden weapon in class.

Per the district's policy: any weapon, including simulated, replica, toy or look-alikes are prohibited from all school property.
Several parents weighed in on this incident, and they were concerned because there was a second shooting outside Lincoln High School that's just blocks away.

One parent said, "They've had lockdown two times in 5 days because of gun violence."

Another parent said, "A teacher let him do it in school it's not right, it's not right, it's not right."
Chariez Scott was asked, "If someone were to see your son pointing it and it was colored in -- what would be your biggest fear?"

He replied, "That he would've been killed."
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/nation ... wooden-gun
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I am sick to death of hearing more about insane over reactions to toy gun, wooden guns, gun finger gestures and drawings of gun...

and doing phuck all about actual guns.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Speaking of doing fuck all about actual guns and gun violence and dead kids, the VA is running commercials about preventing suicides (of veterans, I'm assuming) by using gun locks. I understand that suicides among military personnel is very high, but I also understand that the number of dead kids is probably even higher. What I don't understand is why the VA ads are acceptable but other gun control ads are verboten. The government obviously thinks the ads will work or they wouldn't be running them. Do they think they will only work for veterans? Why target one small segment when the problem is endemic? Why not target ALL gun owners with their safety lock ads?

Not sure why those particular ads get under my skin so badly.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Maybe the VA ads will run under the radar and educate more than veterans without triggering (pun intended) gun control objections.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/investigatio ... w/3165520/
NYC's Non-Police Mental Health Pilot Increasing Rate of Those Getting Aid, Data Show
NYC's B-HEARD program aims to dispatch social workers with paramedics, instead of cops, for nonviolent mental health cals

The Behavioral Health Emergency Assistance Response Division, or "B-HEARD" program, which started in a portion of Harlem a month ago, has already responded to about 110 calls where there was no weapon or imminent risk of violence, according to summary data provided by the city on Thursday.

Instead of cops and paramedics responding to 911 mental health calls, three-person teams of social workers and paramedics respond instead. In 95 percent of those cases, the city said, the subject of the call accepted the team's offer of assistance.

In the old cop-EMS model, that rate was 82 percent.

That assistance, in whatever form it takes, is also increasingly being provided by other means than just going to a hospital. Whereas all assistance cases went to a hospital in the old model, now just 50 percent do. The rest were either aided at home or taken to a non-emergency community center.

One of the major concerns going into the program was the safety of the first responders, but so far the program has only called for NYPD backup seven times. On the other hand, the city said, the NYPD has called in B-HEARD teams 14 times after finding police services weren't needed.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Guns at political meetings. Guns at municipal meetings. Guns at bars and other adult entertainment establishments. Yeah, they keep feeding our "another shooting" thread.
Il factotum
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I hate to say that he represents the otherwise Great Village of Argillite, Kentucky, my family home.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

It doesn’t get any more tone deaf and unChristian than that.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Hmm. Do not like.
raison de arizona

Just in case there are any problems with expecting more and paying less, he's ready.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:37 pm Image
Just in case there are any problems with expecting more and paying less, he's ready.
Well...he is at a Target....

I'll see myself out...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Dave from down under

Insurance and fee to non profit for mental heath and suicide prevention

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/01/26/ ... 5vru6Cp5Pg
Tiredretiredlawyer

Good thing there isn't a "target" on that guy's shoes. :biggrin:
raison de arizona

Whatever were they arguing about?
Dispute Between Publix Shoppers Takes Deadly Turn

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – An investigation is underway after a dispute between shoppers inside of a Publix took a deadly turn.

It happened Saturday night at a Publix in the 100 block of Ponce de Leon Boulevard in Coral Gables.

Investigators say two men were arguing while standing in line to pay when one of the men pulled out a gun and shot the other.

The victim was pronounced dead on the scene. The other was taken into custody.
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2022/02/06/c ... -shooting/
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

It's called Stand Your Ground in that corner of the country... :notlistening:
Dave from down under

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:17 pm It's called Stand Your Ground in that corner of the country... :notlistening:
Exercising your 1st A via the 2nd A

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”