Gun Control

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Gun Control

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/?reload= ... 4736472609
Besides the minimum-age measure and the ban on high-capacity magazines, the House legislation passed Wednesday includes proposals that would crack down on gun trafficking, create new safe-storage requirements for gun owners, and codify executive orders that ban untraceable “ghost guns” as well as “bump stock” devices that allow a semiautomatic rifle to mimic machine-gun fire.

Of the five House Republicans voting for the bill — Brian Fitzpatrick (Pa.), Anthony Gonzalez (Ohio), Chris Jacobs (N.Y.), Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) and Fred Upton (Mich.) — only Fitzpatrick is seeking reelection. Among Democrats, Reps. Jared Golden (Maine) and Kurt Schrader (Ore.) voted no; Schrader lost his campaign for renomination last month.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

We're all thinking it...

don't say you're not....
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

One nation under GUN

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-09/ ... /101137554

An 11-year-old girl who survived the mass shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, has told US Congress how she covered herself with a dead classmate's blood to avoid being shot.

Key points:
The young survivor and victims' parents testified before a congressional panel
A spate of mass shootings in recent weeks has renewed debate over US gun control
After the testimonies, the House passed legislation to raise the age limit for purchasing a semi-automatic rifle
WARNING: This article contains details that some people may find distressing.

Miah Cerrillo, a fourth-grader at Robb Elementary School, told politicians in a pre-recorded video that she watched a teacher get shot in the head before looking for a place to hide.

"I thought he would come back so I covered myself with blood," Miah told the panel.

"I put it all over me and I just stayed quiet."

She called 911 using the dead teacher's phone and pleaded for help.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:22 pm
► Show Spoiler
Senator Thune claims that in South Dakota, you need high capacity semi-automatic assault weapons to shoot prairie dogs. 1) Who shoots prairie dogs? I didn't know that was a thing. 2) WTF kind of mutant prairie dogs do they have in South Dakota that require multiple rounds from an assault weapon to put down?
Can't answer (2). For (1), killing prairie dogs is big fun in the West. According to Google, one contest bagged 1,500. I seem to recall a political candidate known for killing them. And from a YouTube video description:
This prairie dog hunting video features slow-motion exploding kill shots and shooting and reloading tips.
I'm convinced anyone who takes pleasure in "slow-motion exploding kill shots" of animals is a sociopath unfit for human society. But that's just me.
Dave from down under

:yeahthat:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:35 pm
► Show Spoiler
Senator Thune claims that in South Dakota, you need high capacity semi-automatic assault weapons to shoot prairie dogs. 1) Who shoots prairie dogs? I didn't know that was a thing. 2) WTF kind of mutant prairie dogs do they have in South Dakota that require multiple rounds from an assault weapon to put down?
Can't answer (2). For (1), killing prairie dogs is big fun in the West. According to Google, one contest bagged 1,500. I seem to recall a political candidate known for killing them. And from a YouTube video description:
This prairie dog hunting video features slow-motion exploding kill shots and shooting and reloading tips.
I'm convinced anyone who takes pleasure in "slow-motion exploding kill shots" of animals is a sociopath unfit for human society. But that's just me.

You have made sure, damn sure, that the guy who killed her classmates didn't have any trouble at all getting the gun.

You can phuck all the way off.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:39 am
pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:35 pm
► Show Spoiler
You have made sure, damn sure, that the guy who killed her classmates didn't have any trouble at all getting the gun.

You can phuck all the way off.
I'll try not to take that personally. :eek: 8-)
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I sorry, I think I replied to the wrong post....

I'll submit to an intern beating at the end of the day. :bag:

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I would like to point out that school shooting situations are a minority of mass shooting events. Most mass shooting events take place elsewhere than in a school, notwithstanding the body count in school shootings is impressive.

But building schools as if they were bank vaults or maximum security prisons, with thick walls, bolted doors, and armed patrols in the corridors will have no effect whatever on the mass shootings at supermarkets, churches, theaters, restaurants, nightclubs, etc. etc.
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Fortinbras wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:19 pm I would like to point out that school shooting situations are a minority of mass shooting events. Most mass shooting events take place elsewhere than in a school, notwithstanding the body count in school shootings is impressive.

But building schools as if they were bank vaults or maximum security prisons, with thick walls, bolted doors, and armed patrols in the corridors will have no effect whatever on the mass shootings at supermarkets, churches, theaters, restaurants, nightclubs, etc. etc.
Yeah, the whole 'soft target' framing is kinda disturbing since, at best, all it would do is shift the shootings somewhere else, at which point it just becomes a case of 'how much safety from mass shooting can you afford?'
raison de arizona

neeneko wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:01 pm
Fortinbras wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:19 pm I would like to point out that school shooting situations are a minority of mass shooting events. Most mass shooting events take place elsewhere than in a school, notwithstanding the body count in school shootings is impressive.

Yeah, the whole 'soft target' framing is kinda disturbing since, at best, all it would do is shift the shootings somewhere else, at which point it just becomes a case of 'how much safety from mass shooting can you afford?'
The recent school shooting in LA happened in the street outside school at dismissal. Are we going to harden the streets around the schools as well? What about the school busses? What about the routes home? Etc. Is the requirement to turn the entire US into a hardened armed camp?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:48 pm
Still fighting for the old red, white, and blue. :)

(Aaaaaand now the 70s theme song is in my head, dagnabit!)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:18 pm The recent school shooting in LA happened in the street outside school at dismissal. Are we going to harden the streets around the schools as well? What about the school busses? What about the routes home? Etc. Is the requirement to turn the entire US into a hardened armed camp?
Armored bus ramp. Kids go from school directly into busses via airlock, then catapulted out of the roof at random intervals to prevent attackers being able to predict where they will get off.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I see the House of Representatives has passed some legislation. I don't know the details, it doesn't really matter, because my understanding is that shitbag Republican senators will block it, as they are great supporters of mass murder in general and child murder in particular.

Yes, it's evil and bad of me, but I think the appropriate and karmic response would be for some group to kidnap the Republican senators, lock them in a room for a few hours, then shoot and kill 19 of the assholes, the same number that they enjoyed seeing slaughtered at Uvalde. Then let the survivors out to vote. Would they still be quite so approving of mass murder when it affects them?

The Republicans want mass murder, surely they should be allowed to experience the benefits?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Edited for quote.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

neeneko wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:01 pm

I was so ahead of the curve when I moved into a well armed bunker complex. :biggun:

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:44 pm I see the House of Representatives has passed some legislation. I don't know the details, it doesn't really matter, because my understanding is that shitbag Republican senators will block it, as they are great supporters of mass murder in general and child murder in particular.

Yes, it's evil and bad of me, but I think the appropriate and karmic response would be for some group to kidnap the Republican senators, lock them in a room for a few hours, then shoot and kill 19 of the assholes, the same number that they enjoyed seeing slaughtered at Uvalde. Then let the survivors out to vote. Would they still be quite so approving of mass murder when it affects them?

The Republicans want mass murder, surely they should be allowed to experience the benefits?
Steve Scalise has entered the chat

raison de arizona

I don't think it's bullshit. These folks have head their heads so crammed full of mush that they really and truly believe that more guns equals less killing, and there is nary a thing one can show or say to them that will convince them otherwise. Also, fuck the NRA.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:44 pm Yes, it's evil and bad of me, but I think the appropriate and karmic response would be for some group to kidnap the Republican senators, lock them in a room for a few hours, then shoot and kill 19 of the assholes, the same number that they enjoyed seeing slaughtered at Uvalde. Then let the survivors out to vote. Would they still be quite so approving of mass murder when it affects them?

Well, this returns to one of the core disconnects. Conservatives believe they have the solution to mass murder and 'woke liberals' are standing in the way. If it started impacting them, they would likely push some pretty nasty hardline solutions... cracking down on scapegoat groups, more power and funding to police to use 'discression', more 'stand your ground' and legal outs for murder that all white juries decide if the person was justifably scared.... etc
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The Republicans left their "closed environment" on January 6, didn't they? :twisted:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Yeah - mass shootings are now tourist activity :twisted:

chose your role: active or passive
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-12/ ... /101145940

Thousands of demonstrators have descended on Washington DC and across the United States, calling on politicians to pass legislation aimed at curbing gun violence following last month's massacre at a Texas elementary school.

Key points:

The latest mass shootings have added new urgency to the country's ongoing debate over gun violence
Protesters are calling for an assault weapons ban, universal background checks for gun purchases and a national licensing system
In recent weeks, Senate negotiators have vowed to hammer out a deal, but are yet to reach an agreement
March for Our Lives (MFOL), the gun safety group founded by student survivors of the 2018 massacre at a Florida high school, said it has planned more than 450 rallies for Saturday, including in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.

In Washington, 40,000 people assembled at the National Mall near the Washington Monument under light rain, organisers said.

There was a moment of panic at the Washington rally when a man rushed at the stage.

The crowd was pictured fleeing and ducking for cover, but the unarmed man was quickly detained and the speaker assured people there was no threat.

MFOL later retweeted a video of the scare, saying it showed "the daily trauma that ALL of us live with in this country".

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”