Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Covid-19 Long Haulers

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Volkonski
Verified:

Covid-19 Long Haulers

Post by Volkonski »

Texas Roadhouse Founder Kent Taylor Dies By Suicide After Battle With Post-COVID Symptoms, Family Says

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/03/20/ken ... wzpay3CdNM
Texas Roadhouse founder and CEO Kent Taylor died Thursday, according to a post on the restaurant chain’s Facebook page. He was 65.

“Our community and the restaurant industry lost a legend and the Taylor family lost a wonderful son, father and grandad this week,” said a joint statement from Taylor’s family and Texas Roadhouse sent to CNN on Saturday.

The statement said Taylor died by suicide after a battle with post-COVID related symptoms, including severe tinnitus, or ringing in the ear, and his suffering had increased in recent days.

Taylor had funded a clinical study to help members of the military suffering with tinnitus, the statement said.
I have had tinnitus since my 10th high school reunion which featured very load music. There is not much doctors can do except tell you to use white noise maskers which make it hard to hear people talking. I get along OK. I know that many don't. :(

Time to go to bed and listen to the "imaginary" voices in my ears. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Re: Covid-19 Long Haulers

Post by Frater I*I »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:17 pm
I have had tinnitus since my 10th high school reunion which featured very load music. There is not much doctors can do except tell you to use white noise maskers which make it hard to hear people talking. I get along OK. I know that many don't. :(

Time to go to bed and listen to the "imaginary" voices in my ears. ;)
As an Av Mech I know how it is, mine comes and goes at this point, some nights the ringing is there sometimes not, I'm sure it will get worse as time goes on. I was half deaf having been in a band before getting into this industry...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
My Navy dad got his from being too close to a shipboard gun when it was fired. Have you seen the size of those guns? He's lucky he's not totally deaf.

Speakin' of which, I FINALLY get to go visit him on Thursday, and his retirement home has authorized, since he, ol' Wifehorn and the poor ol' rooster have all been fully vaccinated, we can stay in his condo.

:banana:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Wonderful news, Foggy! :cheer2: :blissy: :cheer2:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Need pictures of the 2 of you scowling at the camera.
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:00 am
Off Topic
My Navy dad got his from being too close to a shipboard gun when it was fired. Have you seen the size of those guns? He's lucky he's not totally deaf.

Speakin' of which, I FINALLY get to go visit him on Thursday, and his retirement home has authorized, since he, ol' Wifehorn and the poor ol' rooster have all been fully vaccinated, we can stay in his condo.

:banana:
Great news! Congrats on the reunion. :oldman:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:yeahthat:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

COVID long-haulers speak about living with brain fog, rancid smells and crushing fatigue
Long-haulers describe feeling lost, hopeful and irrevocably changed

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/millions- ... d=75044159
For millions of people, surviving COVID-19 has been the starting point of a longer journey -- one that is poorly understood and increasingly consequential as the U.S. and the world grapple with the pandemic.

Rather than returning to good health as many do, an estimated 10% to 30% have enduring symptoms even after their infection has cleared.

"If even a small proportion of the vast numbers of people infected with COVID-19 develop Long COVID syndrome, it represents a significant public health concern," Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health, wrote in January.

Long COVID's litany of symptoms range from fatigue and "brain fog" to sleep disorders, fever, gastrointestinal issues, anxiety, depression, and countless others. There's no official definition, but having persistent symptoms 28 days after being infected is the framework most researchers are operating under.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

My wife's sister is still struggling with some of the after effects
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Congrats on the visit, Foggy. It must feel wonderful!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

I'm more terrified of being a long-hauler than I am of dying from covid.

I'm grateful that long-haulers are finally getting attention. Mortality rates aren't enough to get people to comply with basic pandemic changes. Long-haulers will, I hope, make the seriousness of covid much more visible.

It's possible that some survivors will be permanently disabled from covid. Much more discussion about the disabling after effects of covid needs to be occur. I don't know if such discussions will sway the average covid denier or anti-vaxxer. But it's worth a try.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

LM K wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:21 am I'm more terrified of being a long-hauler than I am of dying from covid.

I'm grateful that long-haulers are finally getting attention. Mortality rates aren't enough to get people to comply with basic pandemic changes. Long-haulers will, I hope, make the seriousness of covid much more visible.

It's possible that some survivors will be permanently disabled from covid. Much more discussion about the disabling after effects of covid needs to be occur. I don't know if such discussions will sway the average covid denier or anti-vaxxer. But it's worth a try.
I've said the exact thing to my sister just a couple of nights ago.

I'll troll at a couple of conservative sites and have commented about long Covid, only to be pooh-poohed. They just look at the mortality rate and question why anyone would be afraid of something that probably won't kill you.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Last week I listened to a webinar on the ADA and COVID. Primarily, it was about accommodations for employees with disabilities. Currently, the Feds say COVID is not a disability because it's temporary. OK. But currently the Feds say lingering effects are not a disability. No need to provide a reasonable accommodation for the employee to stay in his or her job. :eek: :eek:

Hopefully, that opinion won't last long. I've been researching for more info and found an article that stated hundreds of thousands of Americans are long haulers, and many of them have been denied disability benefits. This injustice is now in the courts. Hopefully, civil rights advocates are also challenging the false claim that long-haulers do not have a disability.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:24 am Last week I listened to a webinar on the ADA and COVID. Primarily, it was about accommodations for employees with disabilities. Currently, the Feds say COVID is not a disability because it's temporary. OK. But currently the Feds say lingering effects are not a disability. No need to provide a reasonable accommodation for the employee to stay in his or her job. :eek: :eek:

Hopefully, that opinion won't last long. I've been researching for more info and found an article that stated hundreds of thousands of Americans are long haulers, and many of them have been denied disability benefits. This injustice is now in the courts. Hopefully, civil rights advocates are also challenging the false claim that long-haulers do not have a disability.
:mad:
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Good news!
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Bonne chance! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Lani wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:18 am Good news!
Hidden Content
:thumbsup:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Today was the day!

My doctor told me about her reaction to the vaccine. She went back to work, but was very weak, confused, and exhausted. She worried that she would pass out. I told her that I've felt that way everyday since March 2020. She finally understood, on a personal level, the shape I'm in.
Hidden Content
So I got the high dose Vit D2 and a B 12 shot. Shots will be monthly, or as frequently needed. We'll make changes depending on the blood panel results. And we're hoping that my vaccinations will also improve my health, as has happened for some of the long term peeps. I'm finally feeling hopeful! 12 months - talk about long hauling! I'm finally feeling hopeful! :blissy:
Hidden Content
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:

I hope things turn around soon. It would be great if the vaccine makes a difference.
Hidden Content
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:16 pm :bighug:

I hope things turn around soon. It would be great if the vaccine makes a difference.
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
I'm hopeful that things will get better soon because of the vax. :daydreaming: B12 alone might give me a big boost, and the massive D2 might stop my vision problems. :pray:

Also, my doctor offered to write a letter to my employer stating that I'm at high risk for the time being, in case I''m called back to the office any time soon. I can do the job, but if I return to my office now, it will be obvious to everyone that I'm extremely weak. If I could retire now, I'd do it. But I need another 1.5 years to get a reasonable retirement.

The best thing is that a doctor is taking me seriously! I've had recurring Epstein-Barr a few times after viral illnesses. Although most people develop immunity, I haven't. Doctors treated me as trash when it recurred. (I deal with it and have been able to do workarounds to stay employed.) What I'm experiencing now is worse and very, very different. So I'm very relieved to be taken seriously. Finally. (Also, I tested negative for Epstein-Barr this time!)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Being taken seriously is HUGE; I know from personal experience.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Lani-

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :grouphug:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug: :bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:08 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:16 pm :bighug:

Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
There are some comments on his FB page in response that explain it a little more.
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:28 pm Being taken seriously is HUGE; I know from personal experience.
Yep. Over and over again.

I had significant problems after my son was born. I left the hospital and flew home with a fever of 101. I was told it was just some virus, not a big deal. But it was! Things turned very bad - recurrent fevers, extreme weakness, pain, etc. Saw my local doctor who said it was postpartum depression. Two women attorneys with whom I worked and who also used the same doctor went to see her. They said she was wrong and got her to agree to testing for Epstein-Barr and thyroid. She was very angry, but agreed to test me. She told me that after the tests, if I didn't agree to taking anti-depression medication, she'd notify child protection. However, both results were off the charts. She never apologized.

Then she was mad and threaty because I refused to have part of my thyroid destroyed, requiring medication and testing for life. Fortunately, I called La Leche. I learned that hyperthyroidism wasn't uncommon after giving birth. I was referred to my child's pediatrician, who provided medication to lower my thyroid level and to allow me to continue breast feeding. I felt almost normal within 48 hours. It was like a miracle! (Still had to deal with Epstein-Barr.) My original doctor was royally pissed off. She yelled at me that she was a bottle fed baby and turned out fine. I didn't say anything out loud, but my thought was no, you didn't turn out fine, you're a raging bitch.

Shortly after that I was in Australia and met with an endocrinology doctor. She was amazed that I had thyroid treatment in the US. She told me that women in the US are labelled with postpartum depression without any testing for other causes. (Yep) Post birth hyperthyroidism is not unusual and resolves in 6 to 9 months with or without medication, but US doctors claim that the anti-depression meds resolved the problem without any testing. Over a few months, we reduced the dosage, and my thyroid has been normal to date.

(BTW, that was 2nd time I had Epstein -Barr. It resolved. Then it happened again.)

In our previous forum, there was a topic on misogyny healthcare.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”